Thread: Job interviews-Do you get angry, depressed or resigned

Default Job interviews-Do you get angry, depressed or resigned

When you apply for a job you really know you can do and dont get it.

I'm really upset.
    I applied for two jobs at my own workplace.

I just had a feedback session.
    didn't get either.

there were 170 applicants.

Well the interviewer said
    Mine was the most outstanding and best written application.
    I answered all questions at the interview extremely well except this one.
    "give us a recent example of when you have received excellent customer service"

I said I had recently been Christmas shopping, my daughter had asked for a book, "The pursuit of love" by Nancy Mitford.
    I went to a small owner operated book store. the sales person said they had had it but the last copy was gone.
    She said she could order it, but it wouldn't be in for Christmas (this was on the 22nd dec)

She asked me if she had read two other books (The Sun King and Madam de Pompadour) by the same author. I said no, but I had read them and they would be an excellent alternative.
    She gift wrapped them beautifully (free) .
    Lovely helpful service i would have thought.

Well the interviewer said that I put my own needs ahead of my daughters wishes

And my brand new frock and was not professional enough for an interview.
    It was 30 degrees C plus and most of our customer service staff were in sun frocks or shorts.
    And the male interviewer was wearing a short sleeved open necked blue and green checked shirt at the interveiw

(I did point out that in a Library in a less "out there" demographic, I would have worn a suit.)

I really wanted that job

Default Re: Job interviews-Do you get angry, depressed or resigned

So, you had the best application.......and they hired one of their mates anyway?
    We don't know how lucky we are....

My problem was age. Due to injury, I had to quit carpentry at age 55. Three years of searching and hearing "no thanks" wore me down. Changing careers at my age in this economy is impossible. So, I'm now retired.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Dunno who got them.
    One of the applicants deserves one of them If she gets it.IMO
    Dunno who'll get the other but if it is who I think it is, well it's not so much she's a mate, but someone they have been trying to get a permanent place for, she's a young widow with one child. She's also a lazy woman lacking integrity , but hey when it comes to sorting out an admin problem..

Ok I'm p@ssEd of the "reasons" sound like BS.
    I researched and worked really hard for that job.

If it's someone else out of the workplace, I'll just assume they had difficulty choosing and had to come up with something.

Sorry you didn't get the job.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

As a young police patrol officer my eldest son was asked to sit on a hiring committee also made up of a sergeant and three captains. The best qualified applicant was a Secret Service veteran with a masters degree in Business Management and lots of other qualities. My son and the sergeant voted for him, but all three captains voted against. No good reasons offered, just voted against him. I wonder if that guy ever figured out why he wasn't hired.

regards,
    Waddie

Quote Originally Posted by Meli View Post
    Dunno who got them.
    One of the applicants deserves one of them If she gets it.IMO
    Dunno who'll get the other but if it is who I think it is, well it's not so much she's a mate, but someone they have been trying to get a permanent place for, she's a young widow with one child. She's also a lazy woman lacking integrity , but hey when it comes to sorting out an admin problem..

Ok I'm p@ssEd of the "reasons" sound like BS.
    I researched and worked really hard for that job.

If it's someone else out of the workplace, I'll just assume they had difficulty choosing and had to come up with something.
    I feel for you not getting a thing you worked hard for, but remember,
    "No, means Next".. Go for the 'next' one - & Good Luck! ;-)

enjoy
    bobby

No other choice than to do that.
    I love my workplace but they wont give us shelvers customer service training, they reckon their budget wont stretch that far.
    The also wont allow us to work behind the desk or put up temporarily vacant positions (like when people are on holiday) so we can get experience and compete on a level playing field. I've been there 3 plus years.

One thing I always remember, no experience or education is wasted.. unless we don't learn from it. Been many things in my life, wonder what the next will be.. ;-0

Two lines from songs often come to mind..

What A long, strange trip it's been..

think I'm enjoying the ride..

Think you've been there, too.. ;-)

enjoy
    bobby

I get upset when I get the sense that my interview isn't a serious chance at the job, but rather a perfunctory exercise. So they can say that they interviewed twenty candidates for the position, etc., etc.

The response on the bookshop account you wrote would have put me over the moon: what a cheap bit of judgmental crap that is. Sounds like you might have to go to another library to get a better position. In any event, good luck.

No other choice than to do that.
    I love my workplace but they wont give us shelvers customer service training, they reckon their budget wont stretch that far.
    The also wont allow us to work behind the desk or put up temporarily vacant positions (like when people are on holiday) so we can get experience and compete on a level playing field. I've been there 3 plus years.
    And therein lies the problem. The HR mob are a PoS and a combined response from your union refs to ToE should put them right. (but few workplace union reps are able to take them on)

there were 170 applicants.
    I really wanted that job
    Sorry you didn't land it - but One in One hundred and seventy isn't great odds - there were always going to be an hundred and sixty nine disappointed folks for every happy one.

Chin up and keep going.
    Complicated problems usually have simple solutions - which are almost always wrong.

I dont mind not getting the job now I've calmed down a bit.
    there may be several better contenders, I was just annoyed at their rubbish reasons.
    I would have been in the top 5, we don't interview all applicants here, usually shortlist the 5 best applications, so that's cheering anyway (sniff)

But if a certain person is successful, I reckon there's been some shennanigans

It is indeed a frustrating, and often depressing, task.... and in my 20 years as a contractor / consulting engineer, I have had to go through the process multiple times per year.

Just before Christmas, I interviewed for some contract work at a nearby company.... it was a match absolutely made in heaven; their technology is precisely the kind of stuff I've had 2 decades of experience with, and in which I accomplished several industry 'firsts'. The interviewer was a really nice guy, who I connected with immediately... he admitted that I had the advantage of not needing any 'training' or 'familiarization' with their technology, he was amenable to my proposed arrangement regarding worksites, and didn't flinch when I quoted my rate.

Yet, I haven't heard from them.

I don't know if it's simply because the holiday season has put most hiring on hold (which others tell me must be the case), or if, for some reason, they've decided not to engage me. I'm hoping it's the former, and will email him on Monday to see if I'm still 'alive' there.
    "Opinions you like, presented to you and others who share your opinions, from someone whose opinion you already know"
    Steven Colbert, commenting on the launch of the Sarah Palin channel

I was up for a technical assistant job at MIT. Really was turned on by the thought of working on cutting edge stuff. Went through all the interviews was told they were very impressed but the inexperienced guy with better degrees got the position. Six months later I got the call that he didn't work out and would I still be interested. Kinda told them to pack sand and don't regret it. Life has many course changes and the winds were not right for you this time.

Their loss Meli, Good things will come. Be patient and most of all know its not you but instead the timing and environment.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Meli..I went to one interview.Went really well, in fact, I would have said that I was in like flin. At the end, the interviewer basically told me that there would be a conference call on Friday to work out the details. On Friday, I received a call. It appears that an individual, yes a woman, who had refused the job 4 months earlier had changed her mind and took the job. I was pissed. No more than that.I couldn't understand how anyone who refused the job four months earlier came back and took it afterall. I would have given her an enema.

Next to romance, there are very few rejections that hurt as much as not getting a job you really wanted.

Unlike romance, you really can practice detachment and not take it personally.

In fact, view it as a bullet that narrowly missed. If they aren't smart enough to hire you, then you would never be happy working for them in the long run.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I think the worst thing about job interviews is that candidates rarely get anything back..Not even a rejection letter. Not even a post card.Nothing. Yes one can assume the individual did not get the job, but common courtesy has taken a back seat.

Meli - consider a different tack.

I think this is a time to reach out to your those whom you admire and even you report to. Try asking for guidance in your career path by asking about their career climb, how they would address your career rise and the directions they see they will need help with in the future. I not suggesting taking a humiliating suck up or being placed in an inconvenient position but it will help you understand where you need to go and what they themselves are looking to create. If people believe you have taken an active interest in them, a quality person will respond in kind - if not, they were not the kind of person you would want to be associated or grow with.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man.

Well, the fix was in before the ad even went out.
    The person I refered to got the job.. but hey, she was unable to do 28 hours per week as required, so they made it a Job share position to accommodate her.

This really makes my blood boil, that's 170 people put to the trouble of submitting letters, CV's, addresses to key selection criteria and some going to the trouble of crossing town for an interview 2 days before christmas. for a fake job.

I appreciate the good advice above Ted, but supporting 2 kids as I do, I cant risk a change in employer. My job may stink career path wise, but it is secure and the work and my peers are wonderful to work with.

So I'm sort of stuck.

Sadly, that's the way these things seem to work. The job is actually filled before the "help wanted" ads hit the papers.

Sorry you didn't get the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden View Post
    I was up for a technical assistant job at MIT. Really was turned on by the thought of working on cutting edge stuff. Went through all the interviews was told they were very impressed but the inexperienced guy with better degrees got the position. Six months later I got the call that he didn't work out and would I still be interested. Kinda told them to pack sand and don't regret it. Life has many course changes and the winds were not right for you this time.

Their loss Meli, Good things will come. Be patient and most of all know its not you but instead the timing and environment.

You probably got that offer while you were still a pilot, and doing some analysis for the military part time, while graduating at the top of your class. Now, you just live off the money made from your investments in the market, and as a world financial markets analyst.

"You probably got that offer while you were still a pilot, and doing some analysis for the military part time, while graduating at the top of your class. Now, you just live off the money made from your investments in the market, and as a world financial markets analyst. "

This is getting a little boring, after all. Try a new tack. / Jim

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

Meli, were their comments actually reasons for not getting the job or were they more along the lines of feedback from the interview?

I've come to learn in recruiting that you can not give reasons for someone being unsuccesful in an application, other than there was a more suitable applicant. I'd be very surprised if any HR person or manager worth their salt does not follow the same practice these days as any reason given can be challenged and disputed.

If an applicant asks for feedback on the interview to help with future interviews that is a different kettle of fish entirely and I will happily provide my opinions or ideas on how they might improve their interview skills, at least in view of an interviewer like myself. However I am very particular about expplaining that what works for me may not work for the next person that interviews them.

Presentation, for example, should not be dictated by the general workplace attire or the standard of dress of the interviewer, but by respect for the interview process. I have had to interview staff after a morning of crawling around bilges rushing to get a boat launched and the job that I'm interviewing for may be a welder or trades assistant, but I still expect an interviewee to be well presented and well groomed (unless perhaps they have called to say that they are coming straight from work and apologise in advance and ask if that will be OK).

Either way though, I'm sorry that you weren't succesful, I hope it does go better next time.
    Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

The whole thing was highly irregular.
    2 jobs
    1 temporary for 4 months, band 4 customer service officer (behind the desk) advertised externally
    1 permenant band 4 home library service co-ordinator advertised internally only.

They held 1 interview for both positions aimed at the temp job and tacked a couple of HLS questions on the end of the interview for those few who had applied. The woman who got the HLS job did not apply for the customer service job.
    She told me before the interview that she had had a lot of input into it only being advertised internally.
    She has had a few weeks experience in the job, but she's been a temporary placement for 3 years and admin have been trying to find the funding to keep her in work.
    The HLS job was supposed to have 1 day on the desk, (where I supposedly fell short) but that day has been given to another officer to accommodate the successful applicant.
    The reasons were given as reasons why I was not sucsessful, and yes, I was shelving in the library 3 minutes befor my interview ( a suit is not suitable attire, it's hot grubby work requiring lots of bending and lifting.

Interviewing/HR hoop jumping is not the answer. Lot of good advice there.

No point in getting angry. You have to treat it like a work in progress. If the bit doesn't quite fit, then use a slightly different method so that it fits better next time. Eventually it'll fit just right.
    Rick

yes, I know :b: but it's so frustrating. It's taken 3 years for a vacancy to come up, at this rate I'll be retiring myself

Meli,

I worked at Band 17 in my field for abt 18 months with a private LoC to the mayor (Peter Mac). Trust me, the politics gets worse the further up the food chain you go.

I guess after 15 years in the wilderness of being a housefrau, I still live in the euphoric days of the first Hawke gov.
    HR, local boss and union rep on every permanent job interview panel, appeal rights. transparency blah blah.
    I've some serious homework to do on gen Y integrity mindf#ck stuff.