Thread: Will you go to the movies tonight? (Christmas night)

Default Will you go to the movies tonight? (Christmas night)

I don't know if it's an urban legend or the truth, but I heard somewhere that tonight is the busiest night of the year to go to the movies. I am thinking about seeing if my wife would like to see the Sherlock Holmes movie. I want to see 'Warhorse' as well, but it's not playing at our local theater.

I like to see movies in the theater when I can. I saw 'Hugo' the other day. It was o.k., I thought.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Default Re: Will you go to the movies tonight? (Christmas night)

I think we will go some movies this week. I'm feeling kinda lazy to do so today. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Mickey I don't normally on this night. Too crowded especially as so many movies debut today/night. Have seen ads for something called War Horse..a take off of Man o' War perhaps. Looks interesting and may be on my list to go to sometime.But, not tonight.On top of that, it's dreary here, and overcast. People are looking for something to go to that is new. There is no snow. None in the offing. By lunchtime, people really want to get out and a new movie is just the thing.

Where are you, Jamie? I never know. Annapolis, last I heard?

'Warhorse' is about an English farm horse that gets drafted into WWI. This is going to sound silly, but I read the book to make sure it had a happy ending before I go to see it. I can't stand unhappy endings. There are enough of those in 'real' life.

Mickey Lake

I will definitely not be going to a movie house tonight. Too loud, too public for a quiet loner like myself.

Mickey..That is the key to my success at hiding. On a boat, I can be anywhere. Annapolis sure. Spent a lot of time there. What amazes me about Annapolis is that one has to take at least 2 buses to go grocery shopping. There used to be a delivery van that would take, pick up orders, and deliver them to a boat.I keep thinking what an idea.I could corner the market literally 8 months of the year.Maine to MD is my personal range. I think after I get Airlie back in the water next spring, I'll be in MD.But who knows?
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 12-25-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Yes, we may be going to see Tin-Tin, based on a favorite fantasy series of books when I was growing up. It's in 3D, too which is SO much better NOW than back in the 60s.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." ~ Mark Twain

Is there a theater in Boothbay? I guess there is. I walked a lot of streets there. Never saw one Dacid. If there isn't where do you have to go?

There's a nice one here that will occasionally run unusual films. It's across from the Hannaford supermarket i took you to when you were here. Otherwise there are two in Brunswick, one a ten-screen with 3D and another an art house with couches and self-serve popcorn.

But we stayed home tonight. Snowing out and cozier at home by the fire, especially since we didn't finish present unwrapping until 7 pm. Got some good boat stuff to keep me occupied.

I did see Hugo in 3D the other week, though. I thought it was VERY interesting but had to sit way in the back in order to take in the 3D aspect of it.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." ~ Mark Twain

I went to see War horse with the family today. Probably a nice movie for a horse crazy young girl but other than that, well...

Quote Originally Posted by Plumbtex View Post
    ... for a horse crazy young girl....
    http://www.npr.org/2011/02/09/133600...s-and-dolphins

Hannaford.I assumed it had to be there.Missed that one. Brunswick? Too far to go at night especially on a holiday night. It would have to e a darned good movie for me to go that far Dave.

We didn't go, either. By the time we got the house cleaned up about all we felt like doing was going across to my brother and sister in-laws house to meet their new donkey. Unfortunately she was out 'visiting'. I can't imagine putting a donkey in a car, but my brother in-law can, apparently.

This morning I spent exchanging the gifts I bought for my wife and youngest daughter (Columbia rain jackets, both of which were too big. I LIKE things like that big, but not those two) and now I am hone reading and resting up for the rat race again tomorrow. I wanted to drive down to the boats, but it was raining and it's 50 miles one-way and I can drop by after work tomorrow night. Just feel extremely lazy right now for some reason.

Mickey Lake

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Just feel extremely lazy right now for some reason.
    eh?

I went to see TinTin yesterday. It's really good, just like the comics, a good plot and the usual excellent backgrounds, planes, ships and cars. Much enjoyed .

Anyone who read TinTin as a kid will love it but the plot is too complicated for the very young .
    Try to work out what the marketing guy wants you to do then do precisely the opposite.

They evacuated the theater- BED BUGS...No, I will get the DVD. Never will go to a theater again. Amazon LOVES me...P.S. The REAL Rin Tin Tin, was the BEST.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

We've been to see Hugo Cabret and Sherlock Holmes...they both exceeded my expectations. First 15 minutes of Hugo are fantastic...Scorsese knows how to make a movie.

We don't go out to movies on Christmas Day. Younger daughter and I were busy with the feast...prime rib for carnivores, lots of veggies for the rest of us, three different wines, and a great plum pudding to end it off. Then we watched movies at home.

Now I want to see The Artist - a modern silent film!

Went to see 'War Horse' today. It is sappy and sentimental and I really liked it. Completely transported me for an hour and a half and that's a good thing in a movie.

Wasn't a dry eye in the house at the end, I don't believe. I was sitting with a crowd of probably 35-40 seniors from some Snowbird club, and as I was leaving the theater this old guy clapped me on the shoulder, and with red eyes said 'wasn't that a great movie?'. I think what gets to us when watching things like that are not the things that happened to the horse, but that we as a race (the human race) would go to such great lengths to kill one another. I know it does me. Seeing young soldiers die in movies almost always gets me upset.

So I have seen 'Hugo' and the 'War Horse'. I need to see 'Tin Tin' and 'Sherlock' before the holiday movie season is over.

Mickey Lake

I haven't been to a movie theater since 1995. Don't see any reason to start again now.
    Germ factories..... Worse than grade schools, or doctor's offices....

I had a great idea for a movie: we could re-make 'War Horse' and substitute the horses with Basset Hounds. 'War Hound'! How does that sound? I would nominate my dog Sam for the lead. He could do it. He is a bit of a horse himself.

You know, that would make for a pretty good movie.

Mickey Lake

You know, that would make for a pretty good movie.
    perhaps an animated film

So I have seen 'Hugo' and the 'War Horse'. I need to see 'Tin Tin' and 'Sherlock' before the holiday movie season is over.

Mickey Lake
    Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was excellent. I've read the books and seen the Swedish film yet had no trouble being excited by this version.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was excellent. I've read the books and seen the Swedish film yet had no trouble being excited by this version.
    wife and I saw that last night. Outstanding movie.
    Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com

'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

The Girl W/the Dragon tattoo was the most dreadfully dull, and monotonous book. I can only imagine how soporific the movie would be.
    This, along with "Titanic" proves to me that the public is as pliable as play-dough in the hands of a good A&R man.

Doug, just for the sake of having a reference, would you name a movie you DID like?

And as far as my 'War Hound' ever making the big screens, I know you could do it with computers, kind of like 'The Golden Compass', but I have this very Gilliam-esque vision of real Bassets hooked up to a big Krupp gun and pulling it up a hill. Man, you'd have to have a considerable pile of chicken jerky at the top of that hill to get them to do that, but what a scene it would make!

Mickey Lake

Doug, just for the sake of having a reference, would you name a movie you DID like?
    roflmao