Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eveningstar
    • Feb 2011

Repair of classic Alden yawl

Hello all, my name is Peter Byrnes and I am 1 year into the repair and restoration of our beautiful Alden yawl " Evening Star ". I have been enjoying following many of the various posts and thought maybe someone would also enjoy seeing our project as it moves along. We have concentrated our efforts on the hull first, which had 22 through hull fittings! I sealed 13 permanently with cedar plugs and blocks and several others with tapered plugs until we can haul out again to replace the bronze seacocks. We have repaired the transom frame and replanked the transom, fixed the diesel engine and stern bearing and shaft, and stripped the fiberglass from the cabin top and replaced with burlap and arabol.
    The major task ahead is the removal of the teak deck and the replacement of the deck frame. After another month of work I hope to dive into this job. Thanks in advance for any advice and moral support!
    Tried to attach some photos but couldn't seem to drag them to the attachment box!
  • sailboy3
    • Aug 2009

Re: Repair of classic Alden yawl

Looking forward to pictures. Upload your photos to an internet storage site like tinypic, get the image address and paste it into the photo box in the reply editor.

Comment

• eveningstar
      • Feb 2011

Thanks, I'll ask my son to help me learn to do that.

Comment

• Larks
        Larks
        • Jul 2007

Happy to offer all the moral support you need, in exchange for plenty of pics of the work!! All the very best with her Peter.
        cheers
        Greg
        Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
        “It’s risky”, said experience.
        “It’s pointless”, said reason.
        “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• rbgarr
          43.50.918 N, 69.38.583 W
          • Apr 1999

Do you know what design number of Alden's your yawl is?
          For the most part experience is making the same mistakes over and over again, only with greater confidence.

Comment

• eveningstar
            • Feb 2011

Yes, it's # 638 built for Frederick Ford of Detroit in 1937 at the Herreshoff Boat Yard in Bristol. 55' on deck, 14' beam. I'll try again to post photos.

Comment

• Farfalla
              Banned
              • Nov 2011

Petr,
              If you get your photos up onto Flickr you can just drag them across into a post without messing with any other steps. You just have to click on your pic then go to where it offers you several size options, click on the size picture you choose and drag it across into the post. No need to mess with The forum uploading business.
              It might work for other hosting sites, I don't know but it's easy from Flickr.

Interested to see some pics.
              Sophie

Comment

• eveningstar
                • Feb 2011

Sophie, thanks, I failed at opening an account at tinypic. I'll try Flickr

Comment

• eveningstar
                  • Feb 2011

I put 6 photos on Flickr and now do I copy and paste to here? http://www.flickr.com/photos/72618385@N03/6554155555/

Comment

• eveningstar
                    • Feb 2011

Comment

• chuckt
                      • Oct 2009

I always have trouble with Flikr. When I use its "Share" button to get the URL address, it doesn't work when I try to paste it in the forum thread. What I do with Flikr is right-click on the picture (in Flikr). A little window pops up. Then click on "properties" in the little window. Copy the URL address you see in the properties window (you know by clicking and holding as you drag you mouse across what you want to copy). Then go to your woodenboat thread, start a new post, and click on the little image (picture) icon (has a tree in it--may need your reading glasses to see it--I do). Click on the "from URL" tab. Then paste the address in the little window. Be sure to remove the check mark from the "retreive remote file and reference locally" option.

If these instructions sound greek, go find you a kid and have them read it--they will understand.

Someone may know an easier way.

Very nice boat! I likeey

Last edited by chuckt; 12-22-2011, 01:45 PM.
                      Chuck Thompson

Comment

• Woxbox
                        • Feb 2006

Wow. Huge potential there. Will it be a liveaboard?
                        -Dave

Comment

• Farfalla
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2011

Hi Peter,
                          Once you've got them into Flickr it's easy. Just click on the picture to make it bigger, it shows the pic in a black surround and up in the top corner it offers "All Sizes", click on that and it comes up again but with options of display size. Click on the picture and drag it across to the post you are writing and drop it in place. You don't have to mess with URL's or the image box on WBF or any of that stuff. Easy!

Have fun,
                          Sophie

Comment

• Garret
                            Hills of Vermont
                            • Apr 2005

Beeyootiful boat. Looking forward to hearing more about the journey. Being owned by a boat of similar size (& age? Mine's 1941), I can tell you it's not a short one. Filled with tremendous times - including some frustrations & whyonearthdidieverbuythisthingthatskillingmeandmyw allet moments I must say. However, a journey of discovery nonetheless.
                            "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• johngsandusky
                              • Dec 2003

Really beautiful.

Comment

Working...