Thread: Why You Shouldn't Try to Beat the Elevator Door

Unhappy Why You Shouldn't Try to Beat the Elevator Door

This sort of thing happens several times per year, though it's often "just" a dismemberment. Escalators, too, which seems surprising to me.

At any rate, don't try to beat the elevator door!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1148235.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- A woman was killed in a freak elevator mishap Wednesday at a Madison Avenue office building, Fire Department officials said. The accident happened at around 10 a.m. in a 1920s office tower near Grand Central Terminal that has been the longtime home of advertising agency Y&R, formerly known as Young & Rubicam. Fire officials said the woman was stepping onto the elevator on the first floor when either her foot or leg became caught in the closing doors. The car then rose abruptly, dragging her body into the shaft and killing her, officials said. The elevator then became stuck between the first and second floors. Two women who were on the elevator were taken to a hospital to be evaluated for psychological trauma but weren't physically injured, Fire Department officials said.

From http://www.elcosh.org/en/document/40...rights.html#8:

Figure 5. Deaths among passengers using elevators while at work, by cause, 1992-2001

Note
    : Total of 68 deaths. An example of a passenger death while at work is a salesman in a warehouse or a messenger in an office building. "Others" includes being struck by an elevator or closing elevator doors.

Source:
    U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics CFOI Research File.

Figure 6. Deaths among elevator or escalator passengers while not at work, by cause, 1997-2003

Note: Data through 5/25/2006. Total of 56 elevator and 24 escalator deaths.

Source:
    Consumer Product Safety Commission data.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: Why You Shouldn't Try to Beat the Elevator Door

Escalators terrify me.

Escalators are fun. If it's an elevator though, I take the stairs.

And also, a lot more people die falling down stairs than escalators. Same danger.

I want to know how you get caught in/between an escalator. You'd have to be on a pretty funky one for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sailboy3 View Post
    And also, a lot more people die falling down stairs than escalators. Same danger.

I want to know how you get caught in/between an escalator. You'd have to be on a pretty funky one for that to happen.
    The moving handrail is a belt. At the top/bottom of the escalator, it goes 'round a pulley and disappears so it can make the return trip. That's a hazard point, like any driven belt/pulley. Happened to our 6-year old when he was about 2 or so. Luckily, just badly pinched. Clothes/shoelaces get caught all the time in the treads. Usually the safety system trip when these shorts of things happen, but apparently not always.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Re: escalator dangers:

When I was like 5 or 6 I was at a major department store with my mom during Christmas season. There were probably 30 people or so on the escalator, basically one person per step; when I crawled under the edge of the escalator and hit the emergency off switch.

Just like falling dominoes I tell ya!
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 12-14-2011 at 04:32 PM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    The moving handrail is a belt. At the top/bottom of the escalator, it goes 'round a pulley and disappears so it can make the return trip. That's a hazard point, like any driven belt/pulley. Happened to our 6-year old when he was about 2 or so. Luckily, just badly pinched. Clothes/shoelaces get caught all the time in the treads. Usually the safety system trip when these shorts of things happen, but apparently not always.
    Right here I guess:

I can imagine the fingers of an inquisitive child, but I can't imaginine anyone being sucked in there to their death.

Found something:
    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011...ay-head-injury
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...calator_death/

Here we go. Now I see what you're talking about:

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-on-foot...nag-11944.html

I used to defend elevator injury claims. Fact is that the elevator is about the safest form of transportation we use based on use versus injuries. That is not say that people don't get hurt or killed in elevators
    The cure for everything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
    Isak Dinesen

Did I ever tell the story about finding a dead baby whale trapped in an elevator at Yale medical school?
    Theory at the time was that it probably didn't die in the elevator....

I was never a huge fan of the paternoster (now replaced) at Newcastle University in the early eighties. It felt "not right".

Andy
    'There isn't a lovelier place in all the world,' thought Dorothea.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    I was never a huge fan of the paternoster (now replaced) at Newcastle University in the early eighties. It felt "not right".

Andy
    Whoa, never seen or heard of one of those before. I want to try it.

News is reporting that the elevator in this incident was being serviced just before the accident and that the repair crew had turned off the safety mechanism as part of the troubleshooting. Reportedly, they finished the job, but forgot to turn the safety back on.

kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    News is reporting that the elevator in this incident was being serviced just before the accident and that the repair crew had turned off the safety mechanism as part of the troubleshooting. Reportedly, they finished the job, but forgot to turn the safety back on.

kevin
    According to the Times, here and here, she wasn't caught by the door. Rather, she was walking into the elevator when it shot upwards, crushing her between car and door frame:

Then, in an inexplicable instant, after Ms. Hart placed one foot inside, the elevator suddenly lurched up, its door still open, according to the Fire Department. It dragged her until she was pinned between the elevator and the wall, between the first and second floors, the police said.

Two passengers in the elevator car could only watch in horror, and would remain trapped in the elevator for an hour before rescuers could free them.

Ms. Hart was declared dead at the scene, but her body was not removed until nearly 7 p.m.
    Woof. The passengers are being treated apparently for pyschological trauma.

According to the Times, here and here, she wasn't caught by the door.
    I was speaking generally. I heard an interview on the 1010 WINS radio last night/this morning at 2AM in which the police officer in charge of the investigation recounted the events as known from the security camera. She was trapped as your link states, between elevator and the wall of the shaft. Her daughter was right behind her and watched in horror. She was dragged up 8 floors, screaming and alive to the top, half in and half out of the elevator car, where her limbs were unimaginably mangled and died then and there.

Reportedly the elevator techs were still in the building and, as seem on the security cams, left hurriedly upon hearing the woman's agonies.

kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post

Andy
    Never heard of those before. Several paper mills I worked in used manlifts, essentially verticle conveyor belts with little platforms to stand on, and handles to hold on to. Rode one side of the belt on the way up, the other going down. Haven't seen one in a long time. There was one I used regularly, it was 8 industrial floors high which was probably close to 12 regular floors. That thing was long enough that it had some significant stretch to it. And there was one mechanic that would bounce the SOB if someone else was riding the other side. Would make certain parts of your anatomy pucker.

http://www.humphrey-manlift.com/

Cheers,

Bobby