Thread: 100 ' Baltic Trader 4 sale (Neill Young's)

Default 100 ' Baltic Trader 4 sale (Neill Young's)

A measly 1/2$mil and its yours ......... if only !!!!

Imagine the parties in the early days !! the mind boggles

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1913.../United-States

Default Re: 100 ' Baltic Trader 4 sale (Neill Young's)

That's a very fair price for that boat from the looks of it, but you would have to have a sufficient wallet to maintain and staff her..

She spent several months sitting at the dock at Baakutun & Thomas, right under the Ballard Bridge here in Seattle, a couple of years back...with signs posted on her in the form of a United States shield: No Trespassing. Seized by United States Marshalls.

Dunno if they seized her from Neil Young (drugs? No tolerance policy these days) or from somebody else. I assume she was sold at auction, probably for a relative pittance.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Hmmmm..My memory may be fuzzy, but I recall that vessel being in Sausalito back in the late seventies, and CSN&Y partying onboard into the wee hours, playing tunes, while we relaxed onboard Orion, just across a short span of water, in Pelican Harbor....

I'm pretty sure Walter Wallace bought her a while back. He's a broker in PT. And it looks like he is the one listing her too.

Love the stove in there. A real pleasure to go below to that!
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Love the stove in there. A real pleasure to go below to that!
    I like the George Nakashima mast-step. It's the little details......

We don't know how lucky we are....

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post

not to mention the white piano? pump organ? visible just beyond the mast. As you say, it's the little details....

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post

Its a table int it?

I first saw the Ragland in '79 when she sailed by a house we were building in the San Juan Islands. A coworker and I sailed over to Friday Harbor after work to oogle the boat. We were talking with the guy on deck when my friend suddenly realized that we were talking to Neil Young. He turned white and started jabbering as Neil Young was one of his heroes.

Later that summer, the Ragland attended the Wooden Boat Show in Port Townsend. I was crossing the Strait to PT under an outboard as there was little to no wind. The Ragland motored over from Victoria. Just outside PT, she set full sail, jib topsail, gaff topsails, and motorsailed into PT for her grand entrance to the show.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    not to mention the white piano? pump organ? visible just beyond the mast. As you say, it's the little details....
    Well spotted BrianY.......a piano/organ no less.

I'd change the name to "Cinnamon Girl". I have a lottery ticket, i can dream...

Down below looks like a 1970s swinging party pad to me... :-)
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    She spent several months sitting at the dock at Baakutun & Thomas, right under the Ballard Bridge here in Seattle, a couple of years back...with signs posted on her in the form of a United States shield: No Trespassing. Seized by United States Marshalls.

Dunno if they seized her from Neil Young (drugs? No tolerance policy these days) or from somebody else. I assume she was sold at auction, probably for a relative pittance.
    Actually, that was the result of an attempted sale gone bad. I by no means know the details, but I talked with a fellow skippering her at the time and he explained that an unscruplous lout had made a a successful offer to buy, but took off with the boat before the deal closed. A couple of lads acting on behalf of the owner were tipped that she was lying somewhere on Lake Union and they went commando and siezed her right back. It's my understanding the the bum who failed to meet his purchase obligation was, uh, absolved of any extant right to close the sale. Crazy. The Ragland has always been maintained very well from what I saw. I lived in Pt. Townsend for a number of years when she berthed at Boat Haven marina. Subsequent to the 'sale ordeal' she berthed at the marina in Port Ludlow. She's a heck of a vessel.
    Chuck Hancock

[QUOTE=Dan Payne;3232237]I'd change the name to "Cinnamon Girl"...QUOTE]

That would be ultra cool.
    Chuck Hancock

So after the dismasting and insurance issues in SAN Francisco who knows the current status?
    She was photographed at the SF AC races motoring without masts but who knows more?
    Cheers

Hi more web searching came up with this post on a nw site

Ned Kelly January 16, 2017 at 6:00 pm #
    Jan 10, 2017. I have been seeing the WN Ragland in Alameda in the Alameda Oakland Estuary. If you go to the fuel dock at Jack London Square in Oakland and look Southwest towards Alameda in front of the Dry Stack Marina building, you’ll see it. Very unique boat.

WHO KNOW MORE?

Who rerigged her ? Who owns her now?

cheers Warren

Pretty cool. So he and Crosby could have raced one another?

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

WN Ragland lived here in Eagle harbor for a number of years, I got aboard for a tour in 2012 or 2013. Very impressive down below in a funky 70's sort of way, very few square edges so the whole thing felt rather organic. She didn't move much but I do remember whoever owned her really enjoyed sitting on deck listening to music.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    Hmmmm..My memory may be fuzzy, but I recall that vessel being in Sausalito back in the late seventies, and CSN&Y partying onboard into the wee hours, playing tunes, while we relaxed onboard Orion, just across a short span of water, in Pelican Harbor....
    Yes, fuzzy indeed. The vessel you are describing was, I believe, Lene Marie, another Baltic Trader. I remember Orion, as well. I don't recall this boat in Pelican during that time. Back then, I lived "on the hill" and watched everything that came and went in Pelican Harbor and was probably down at the Harbor hanging out with friends three to five days a week. Great days!