Page 951 of 1447 FirstFirst ... 45185190194195095195296110011051 ... LastLast
Results 33,251 to 33,285 of 50625

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Rangitoto, a childhood memory from my bedroom window .

Lovely. That will be a pricey piece of real estate these days!
    Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell and have them look forward to the journey.
    Winston Churchill.

Actually it is a Google image but identical to my original memory. Pa Terrace, Sherriff's Hill . A long time ago.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Ms T and family lived at Takapuna for a couple of years. They also had a view of Rangitoto. Impressive, isn't it?

Rick

I used to watch P class trainers on the water, all I wanted in the world but the money wasn't available. The bookies had it.
    Grateful Dead

Cooler bag installed in boat.

While I was prepping the van for an outing yesterday I noticed a new-looking Esky bag in the recycling bin. My first thought was that someone had done something unspeakable in it on a trip, however there was no such 'damage' evident. The cooler bag is (was) on an airline luggage style trolley, which has one front support leg missing. I'm assuming that's what led to its binning. Anyway, the trolley is now in the pile of things that I don't know what I'm going to do with, and the Esky bag is in the largest of the port side stowage tanks. It's a very handy size Esky bag for this kind of use, and it can be completely removed for cleaning etc.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

No sail today ended up standing in for a crook crew member.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

Here's an idea you can pick to bits. I'm in three minds about it.

I've got a good enough Danforth anchor with chain and warp and I'm looking for a neat enough way to store it all. So the idea starts like this...

... but the box is too big. So I cut the box down to 1/3 its length and glue/weld the end back on, put a mesh bag in the bottom, and secure the box to the aft end of the boat and the gear to the box.

None of it is heavy enough to upset the trim. People hang all sorts of things off their SCAMP transoms, like outboards etc. A small compensation of weight forward would easily trim it up. Or just sit a tiny bit fwd. Or whatever.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I took the grandkids to Rouge one, the new Star Wars movie, not bad if you're into such things but the kids enjoyed it !
    Grateful Dead

Bruce, I think I'll use a plastic washing basket for JIM, one with lots of holes.

Grateful Dead

That looks good Peter.

Went sailing today but it was really hot without much breeze. Pleasant enough.

Rick

I stow my sheet in a milk crate.

I priced a copper based epoxy antifoul today, expensive but given it's supposed to last 5-7 years it's probably worth it. Three litres cost a bit over $500. Still a lot of dollars though.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I stow my sheet in a milk crate.
    I stow my sheet wherever eet feets, senor.

El Rick

I priced a copper based epoxy antifoul today, expensive but given it's supposed to last 5-7 years it's probably worth it. Three litres cost a bit over $500. Still a lot of dollars though.
    This stuff Gary ? http://www.coppercoat.com.au/joomla/
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Here's an idea you can pick to bits. I'm in three minds about it.

I've got a good enough Danforth anchor with chain and warp and I'm looking for a neat enough way to store it all. So the idea starts like this...

... but the box is too big. So I cut the box down to 1/3 its length and glue/weld the end back on, put a mesh bag in the bottom, and secure the box to the aft end of the boat and the gear to the box.

None of it is heavy enough to upset the trim. People hang all sorts of things off their SCAMP transoms, like outboards etc. A small compensation of weight forward would easily trim it up. Or just sit a tiny bit fwd. Or whatever.

I ended up ditching the milk crate and building in a shelf, as the milk crate(s) just seemed to keep getting knocked around and was never quite the right shape for the sand anchor (like yours) or convenient....I simply found it annoying actually. I don't know that this'd necessarily work for you Bruce, but it might trigger some alternative ideas:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...S16&highlight=

a bungy strap holds it nicely in place

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thanks Larks.

You're right about not being the right shape. It's not annoying enough yet to make me want to do something much else, but I am half convinced it will become annoying as soon as we hit the water. The anchor is the right size to hold the boat, but the wrong size to stow nicely without overcooking the idea too much. I'll let ideas filter in and hopefully something will seem right.

I suspect that if it worked everyone would be using it.

Don't much like the idea of a milk crate knocking around in the cockpit Bruce, even a cut down one. You've done such a nice job with Romana it would be a shame I think. And the sideways bits of the anchor will get caught in the holes. Now to contradict myself, I'll suggest what might be a more workable solution, still ugly though. How about a bit of poly pipe bolted to the transom. You drop the stock of the anchor down that. Then one of Gary's rope bags for the rode. (It's the poly pipe, not the rope bag, which is ugly). You could even do a bit of rope work to hide the ugly poly pipe.

Good thinking Phil. I'm still not there yet with a nice solution.

Those floppy plastic buckets are quite good. You want something that will hold mud.

Rick

Either that or something free draining so the mud washes away and out the scuppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Either that or something free draining so the mud washes away and out the scuppers.
    Mud out the scuppers.

You are what you eat. I'm a fruit cake.

I'm having a lazy day in a perfect Adelaide summer day. Sunny, warm but not hot, still. I'm getting over the effects of having one 330ml beer last night. I'm definitely off alcohol now. The brain has given up on me.

Mind you, I did read something that sparked me up. I have sleep apnoea and from time to time I investigate options for circumventilating obstructed airways. A newish, simple mouthpiece that includes a vent that directs air from the lips, through the device, to the back of the mouth aft of the blockage sounds good and easy. $2500 each - I nearly choked (see what I did there?)

Woodenboat in the shed. Having a day off.

Southerly change came through with a 30+ knot blast today that just about blew me off the Dock.
    Last edited by WX; 12-18-2016 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boat fan View Post

I think some simple mounts could be made out of wood .

Make of it what you will Bruce.

Good luck.
    I was thinking much the same, given his nice flat surface to work on....maybe with a piece (or a few individual bits) of starboard (breadboard material) screwed to the face of the ply in way of where the shackle, point of the flukes and "tail" are for the anchor to rub on, rather than gouge away painted ply.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Neat, simple, achievable. Thanks boatfan.

If any of you have never been to Darwin, now really is the most magnificent time of year to come here with the monsoon season settling in and everything is suddenly green and lush and tropical.....

'just sat down on the verandah at "Cool Spot" cafe in Fanny Bay for a coffee as a tremendous deluge hit, drowning out all chance of conversation, running off the gutter-less roofs in sheets and I found myself wondering why we ever left here..... (which was a complete contrast to a couple of months ago in the build-up, before any rain had arrived when everything was dry and parched and the air was hot and humid and disgusting and when I was thinking "thank goodness we left here").
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I was thinking much the same, given his nice flat surface to work on....maybe with a piece (or a few individual bits) of starboard (breadboard material) screwed to the face of the ply in way of where the shackle, point of the flukes and "tail" are for the anchor to rub on, rather than gouge away painted ply.
    Good thinking.

Second try.

The bunno's basket (tm) is much smaller than the milk crate. Assume the basket is fixed in place.

A timber plate on the inside face of the transom, inset for the anchor flukes, and with swivel clips to hold the anchor in place.

Room in the basket for some fishing prerequisites. Replaceable basket (ahem), with plenty of mesh holes to put a bungy mesh hold-down over the chain and warp.

Opportunity for blasphemy and profanity while extracting the anchor and rode, necessary for stress relief after a passage.

That will do nicely .
    Grateful Dead

Looks good to me too!

Rick

Beautiful day here, I'm taking a break before driving a car load of choristers to another carol service about 40 minutes away. Left home at 7am.

An epic voyage ! A Bass Strait trip made in a 13'2" Welsford Houdini "Spart", in Nov-Dec 2016.

Last edited by PeterSibley; 12-18-2016 at 03:33 AM.
    Grateful Dead

Wonderful stuff. I'd love to hear about the conditions when Spart capsized and the way it was handled, and breakage and loss info.