Page 948 of 1436 FirstFirst ... 4488488989389479489499589981048 ... LastLast
Results 33,146 to 33,180 of 50234

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #33146
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    First test, solar panel plus 2 blankets. Curtains half drawn.



    Second test, no blankets, curtains and doors closed. There are 2 small windows which cant be shielded, on under the verandah, and one into the kitchen.


  2. #33147
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    24,137

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Taking some bird feeder tables up to Tweed on Monday to sell. I'm going to take some photos of Redwings cockpit and see if I can "photoshop" the alterations I want to do...except I will be using Gimp or similar to do it. Last time I had a copy of Photoshop it was version 5.
    You would be amazed at the difference between 5 and CC (Creative Cloud) - a bit like the difference between a typewriter and a word processor. Take a look at a demo sometime. I don't particularly like the subscription model, but I can understand why the firms have moved to it.... they put a lot of effort into the software and the rewards for the user are significant. I'm doing the same with Office products these days.

  3. #33148
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    64,345

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I told Anne I wanted one of these for christmas……..


  4. #33149
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Is there a really big box at your house?

  5. #33150
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,649

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    You would be amazed at the difference between 5 and CC (Creative Cloud) - a bit like the difference between a typewriter and a word processor. Take a look at a demo sometime. I don't particularly like the subscription model, but I can understand why the firms have moved to it.... they put a lot of effort into the software and the rewards for the user are significant. I'm doing the same with Office products these days.
    I'm going to have a go with either Gimp or OpenOffice Draw.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  6. #33151
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,295

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Off to the boat later today to continue with the slowest topside crack repair in the history of the world. Felicity said why don't you take the solar panel with you? So I opened the box, and it is indeed a solar panel. With 2 free led strip lights thrown in. (I reckon they ware worth at least $1.00) Did a test. In the lounge room, with the lights turned off, and 2 blankets over the panel, one wool and one mohair, the panel still runs a strip light. Good to know.
    Really good! Once you've made the brackets, rewired the boat and installed the panel, you might find it'll run the other LED strip light too!

    Rick

  7. #33152
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    24,137

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    350 an ounce. Nimbin is overrated

  8. #33153
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    That solar panel is BIG! Did a dry fit. It's big. Ideal for the davits would be around 120 by 60. This one is 160 by 80. It will go ok but if Santa had measured and thought it out a bit more carefully he might have gone for a smaller one. Pics when I am home.

  9. #33154
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Really good! Once you've made the brackets, rewired the boat and installed the panel, you might find it'll run the other LED strip light too!

    Rick
    Rewired the boat! I reckon that would be a bigger job than replacing the deck!

  10. #33155
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,295

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Rewired the boat! I reckon that would be a bigger job than replacing the deck!
    Indeed but ...... two LEDs are better than one!

    Rick

  11. #33156
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Well I've tied the panel onto the roof of the cockpit dodger far now and put in some temporary wiring. The tried and true twist and tape school of electrical connections. Couldn't bear the thought of all those little amps not being harvested and converted to cold beer.

  12. #33157
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,291

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Well I've tied the panel onto the roof of the cockpit dodger far now and put in some temporary wiring. The tried and true twist and tape school of electrical connections. Couldn't bear the thought of all those little amps not being harvested and converted to cold beer.
    Yes! I reckon that size is a good start for Balia. See how close it comes to giving you useful hotel power levels at the marina. What luxury! Cold beer! Almost a pity I've given up the grog.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  13. #33158
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I think an electric blanket would be nice in winter.

  14. #33159
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,649

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I think an electric blanket would be nice in winter.
    You may have to settle for a hot water bottle.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  15. #33160
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,741

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I think an electric blanket would be nice in winter.
    The kerosene version works until it goes out .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  16. #33161
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    The kerosene version works until it goes out .
    not sure how that works. Probably get a diesel heater one day. Eberspacher sort of thing. Invisible but warm.

  17. #33162
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Home now.

    Panel on davits-



    Panel on roof-



    Little controller box thinghy



    All to keep these fellas nice and full


  18. #33163
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,649

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post


    All to keep these fellas nice and full

    Hooked up in parallel?
    Just be careful all your cells are good. One bad cell will bring the lot down. In series is better.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  19. #33164
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Hooked up in parallel?
    Just be careful all your cells are good. One bad cell will bring the lot down. In series is better.
    Is that right? I'd have thought if I hooked them up in series Id be running 48 volts, which is not what I want at all. I may be wrong but that's my understanding. I don't think I've ever seen multiple 12v batteries wired other than in parallel, except for 2 Imhad running a 24 volt trolling motor.

  20. #33165
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,649

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Is that right? I'd have thought if I hooked them up in series Id be running 48 volts, which is not what I want at all. I may be wrong but that's my understanding. I don't think I've ever seen multiple 12v batteries wired other than in parallel, except for 2 Imhad running a 24 volt trolling motor.
    Correct, sorry I'm use to running 2v or 6v at home.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  21. #33166
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,741

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    2v ??
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  22. #33167
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,291

    Default

    Phil is that a new controller?

    sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  23. #33168
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,649

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    2v ??
    6 x 2v =12
    These are deep cycle and can cause a blown sphincter valve just by trying to pick one up.
    I now have 2 x 6v 390 amh but the effect can still be the same.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  24. #33169
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,741

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    OK, as individual cells .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  25. #33170
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Phil is that a new controller?

    sent from my nerdy phone app
    Nope, it's been on Balia for a couple of years I think.

  26. #33171
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    6 x 2v =12
    These are deep cycle and can cause a blown sphincter valve just by trying to pick one up.
    I now have 2 x 6v 390 amh but the effect can still be the same.
    Same with the ones on Balia. They don't look so big in that pic, but I can vouch for their weight. Getting them in and out is quite a thing. As is getting them onboard from a dinghy. But in all things there is balance. They lighten the wallet quite a bit.

  27. #33172
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,649

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Same with the ones on Balia. They don't look so big in that pic, but I can vouch for their weight. Getting them in and out is quite a thing. As is getting them onboard from a dinghy. But in all things there is balance. They lighten the wallet quite a bit.
    My two 6s for the house set me back $960, I wanted to spend around $1200 for some others that had a ten year guarantee but the extra $$$ just weren't available. The present ones are sealed so zero maintenance and we never let them get below 12.2 v and that is rare.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  28. #33173
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,291

    Default

    Never is about as rare as it gets!

    On Romana we (well the controller does) draw the bank of Lion batteries down to 9.0 volts then hold the load back until they come back above 11.5. They charge up to 12.6. Individual cells top out at 4.2, draw down to 3 without any drama. We have modules of 8 cells in parallel, 3 modules in series, a total of 24 individual cells.

    sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  29. #33174
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I should say something clever about power management on Balia here, but I've nothing clever to say.

  30. #33175
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I should say something clever about power management on Balia here, but I've nothing clever to say.
    Works best that way. I'll be swearing and fiddling about with all my batteries while you're drinking coldies.

    sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  31. #33176
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'm just a simple fellow. First I had batteries but they'd go flat after a few months down in Tassie. So then I got a cheap second hand controller from eBay and a small solar panel com somewhere. That seemed to mostly work but wasn't enough to keep things going while we were aboard for a weekend. So now I got a big solar panel and I'll see how that goes. Still trying to work out the logic of the battery wiring. 4 batteries and 3 of those big round Off 1 2 Both switches. I think that gives about 64 different combinations. Does my head in. I just leave them all on Both.

  32. #33177
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    24,137

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'm just a simple fellow. First I had batteries but they'd go flat after a few months down in Tassie. So then I got a cheap second hand controller from eBay and a small solar panel com somewhere. That seemed to mostly work but wasn't enough to keep things going while we were aboard for a weekend. So now I got a big solar panel and I'll see how that goes. Still trying to work out the logic of the battery wiring. 4 batteries and 3 of those big round Off 1 2 Both switches. I think that gives about 64 different combinations. Does my head in. I just leave them all on Both.
    Having batteries of different age connected together is frowned upon by those who aren't simple.

  33. #33178
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,295

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'm just a simple fellow. First I had batteries but they'd go flat after a few months down in Tassie. So then I got a cheap second hand controller from eBay and a small solar panel com somewhere. That seemed to mostly work but wasn't enough to keep things going while we were aboard for a weekend. So now I got a big solar panel and I'll see how that goes. Still trying to work out the logic of the battery wiring. 4 batteries and 3 of those big round Off 1 2 Both switches. I think that gives about 64 different combinations. Does my head in. I just leave them all on Both.
    Keeping it simple is the best way. I'd recommend Nigel Calder's book on systems for boats. A key recommendation of his is to include a voltage sensitive regulator in the system rather than a simple 1, 2, Both switch. The VSR responds to a low charge in one battery or bank and prevents the low battery from draining the others. You can do it all manually by hooking up a voltmeter to separate batteries or banks and monitoring it all but the VSR approach is simpler.

    Rick

  34. #33179
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,649

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I like simple.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  35. #33180
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Keeping it simple is the best way. I'd recommend Nigel Calder's book on systems for boats. A key recommendation of his is to include a voltage sensitive regulator in the system rather than a simple 1, 2, Both switch. The VSR responds to a low charge in one battery or bank and prevents the low battery from draining the others. You can do it all manually by hooking up a voltmeter to separate batteries or banks and monitoring it all but the VSR approach is simpler.

    Rick
    Ive actually got a thing, which I think might be a VSR, or battery splitter. Looks lot like this.-



    Its another of those things I found on ebay and thought might be a good idea. Havent fitted it yet, because I remain somewhat flummoxed by having not 1 but 3 Off, 1,2 Both switches and 4 batteries. Its almost impossible to tell where the wires from the 3 switches come from and go to. But I think part of the answer is that one feeds the anchor winch, one feeds the starter motor, and one is house power. 2 of my batteries are directly connected in the battery box, so they function as one. So effectively I have 3 batteries to select from, but of course the switches are designed to operate off 2 batteries or banks. Ill work it out one day I guess.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •