Page 940 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 4408408909309399409419509901040 ... LastLast
Results 32,866 to 32,900 of 49859

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I finally bit the bullet on one of the boat jobs that has been hanging over my head. A simple infill piece to join between the coamings and the cuddly sides. I've been trying to come up with something clever, and finally realised that a simple, straight forward solution was obviously best. It took a couple of hours.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    I guess a sailing trip across Investigator Strait will have boosted the motivation Bruce! I'll take some credit for that. Start planning our next trip in YOUR boat .

goanywhere is safely back in Goolwa and the TS16 is back on the trailer. 8 hours of solo work in challenging conditions. Well done mate.
    Thanks mate. A watchful eye thanks to modern coms and a couple of days learning from an old salt certainly boosted my confidence to go solo on this one! (Sorry about the "old" but it goes with the monica).

I'm sorting out photos and videos now to put up a full report of both trips as soon as I can. However, let it never be said that a TS16 isn't a capable cruising boat. I still wouldn't take mine out into the Southern Ocean, but as a coastal cruiser she'll do!

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Say hello from me and that I'm looking forward to his write up in the JRA magazine.
    It's coming WX.

Bingo. I googled it and that's what we saw. Sea Star is the new ferry's name.

Yes that looks like what we saw. She was supposed to commence operations from Wallaroo to Lucky Bay in October. Running a bit late, but by all accounts things are moving forward. She looks like a pretty decent size ferry for that run.

Here's an article I found online:

http://www.eyretribune.com.au/story/4126780/new-ferry-start-date/

I've been playing with a cockpit tent for Romana again. This must be around the fifth time I've played with the idea, and this time I reckon it may just be feasible. A single longitudinal bowed ridge pole of fibreglass sections from a socket that will clip on top of the tiller, to a socket under the lip of the top-centre of the cuddly roof. Two bowed fibreglass poles runing athwartships from the same sockets half way down the side decks, to just aft of the widest section of the boat. One bowed thwart pole running at a lean going forward and up to the centreline, the other running aft and up to the centreline. A simple tent fly stretched over the top with ties down to saddles under the outside edge of the side decks, and a centreline tie off fore and aft. I'll get some dodgy brothers temp sockets made up and hopefully it will make sense. I've got it extra-dodgy in place and it seems to be roomy enough to be worthwhile without being palatial enough to cause too much drama when the wind comes up a bit. There's sitting headroom if I sit on the sole.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 11-26-2016 at 07:15 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Is it possible to use a standard tent ( with some modifications ) Bruce ? There are some cunning pole configurations .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Is it possible to use a standard tent ( with some modifications ) Bruce ? There are some cunning pole configurations .
    Possibly, but I have two tents that were donated to the cause and the bits seem to do the job.

On another boat related topic, Sheila and I have just finished eating a dried Tuna Mornay meal for two that goanywhere prepared. It was superb. This alleviates the whole topic of what to do about cruising yacht food on a tiny cruiser. I hope goanywhere will come in and give us the low-down on it all. I'm sold!
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 11-26-2016 at 07:17 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Not a bad day.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

You sure look happy !
    Grateful Dead

My Humminbird sounder has been playing up for a while now and it could just be growth on the hull over the transducer. However I am thinking of upgrading to one of these. https://whitworths.com.au/main_itemd...AbsolutePage=1

It means the transducer will the transom mounted but I can live with that. Any opinions on Lowrance?

You sure look happy !
    Yeah I got grumbled at later because the skipper, pedant that she is didn't make it clear to me what she wanted me to do...I will admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw early in the morning.

Had a great weekend planned on the boat with maybe a sail tomorrow....phone call...there's a snake in the house you have to come home
    Bloody thing had gone back through the little bloody hole it had found by the time I got home.
    Blocked hole!

Spent half the day working out exactly how to make the new cockpit seats. At least I got to spend an hour or two cutting out the plywood for tops, so that felt like some sort of progress.

I have a bit of a thing for using recycled timber that makes designing everything much harder. I'm putting chamfered edges on the new seats, and the chamfered panel will be old Australian cedar skirting boards. If I had a thicknesser or some better wordworking skills life would be easy! Still, if you have good timber even my hamfisted work can look semi-okay on a dark night at 200 metres distance.

There's some good cedar in old skirting boards. A friend of mine had an 18 foot boat, a bit like Jim, cold moulded from cedar skirting boards, a lovely boat.
    Grateful Dead

Chris, I can already see it and I reckon it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Spent half the day working out exactly how to make the new cockpit seats. At least I got to spend an hour or two cutting out the plywood for tops, so that felt like some sort of progress.

I have a bit of a thing for using recycled timber that makes designing everything much harder. I'm putting chamfered edges on the new seats, and the chamfered panel will be old Australian cedar skirting boards. If I had a thicknesser or some better wordworking skills life would be easy! Still, if you have good timber even my hamfisted work can look semi-okay on a dark night at 200 metres distance.
    Whereabouts are you Chris? I have a couple of bits of gear you might be able to borrow.

Rick

Hinged sockets, bimini, tropical Scamp cruising. Sorted.

I poured a small foundation slab for our 600l rainwater collection tank yesterday.
    Only seven 25kg bags of dry mix, but after loading them into car, unloading them at home, uprooting the uneven pavers the tank was on, putting in some formwork then hand mixing and pouring - I hurt all over today. Driving a desk all day is useless prep for this sort of work!

Pete
    Like a miracle, all the trolls disappeared

Good story Phil, what a rich life.

Hinged sockets, bimini, tropical Scamp cruising. Sorted.

Now that sounds interesting !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    A fortunate life !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    I poured a small foundation slab for our 600l rainwater collection tank yesterday.
    Only seven 25kg bags of dry mix, but after loading them into car, unloading them at home, uprooting the uneven pavers the tank was on, putting in some formwork then hand mixing and pouring - I hurt all over today. Driving a desk all day is useless prep for this sort of work!

Pete
    Sounds like you need a cement mixer in your fleet. I would have just used cracker dust topped up with a sprinkle of cement.

Sunday. Watching glue dry. Excitement never ends at Largs.

Thunderstorm brewing here.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Sounds like you need a cement mixer in your fleet. I would have just used cracker dust topped up with a sprinkle of cement.
    I've never had enough small concreting jobs to justify a mixer, it has either been the spade and wheelbarrow method, or a full-on truck. The crusher dust and cement thing works if where you live isn't a long ago drained swamp, or the base of the tank is flat to spread the load, but the ground here is too soft, especially if we have a wet winter.
    This is a pretty oval-ish plastic tank, on a bit of a silly base. It is solid enough, but all of the load goes through large feet at the corners. We wont get away with something that doesnt have the guts to hang together structurally when loaded up. It was sitting on small pavers which were sinking unevenly into the ground and distorting the tank, hence the concrete job.

Pete

Sunday. Watching glue dry. Excitement never ends at Largs.

Drying glue means progress Bruce. And I bet it sets faster than concrete. I need to fingerprint our two cats, to figure out which one of the little b'stards has immortalised itself on my watertank base.

Pete

Yep, it set nicely. I had a poor-outcome day with medicine reaction, and slept away the glue setup. I'm very pleased with the result of the gluing. I don't know how I'm going to convince Sheila, but this boat needs to go to sea and cover some serious nautical miles.

Yep, it set nicely. I had a poor-outcome day with medicine reaction, and slept away the glue setup. I'm very pleased with the result of the gluing. I don't know how I'm going to convince Sheila, but this boat needs to go to sea and cover some serious nautical miles.

Nothing serious Bruce ? Are you OK?
    Grateful Dead

Great day sailing today. Steady brisk southerly, no trouble with the tide, 3 close races for the day, and some 'social sailing. Hardly came off the water from 9.30 to 4.30. (No, I didn't win any)
    Loverly

Club rescue boat retrieved two jet skiers who tangled with the bar.
    Kite surfer got dumped onto a hard sand bar.

Nothing serious Bruce ? Are you OK?
    Thanks for asking mate. I'm taking SSRI drugs for anxiety and depression. I had a 'near miss' experience a few weeks ago and had to listen to advice from the doctor that I'd been ignoring for a little while. All good. It has been a bit of a hard transition onto the drugs and I thought I'd got there, but today I slept nearly all day. The upside is, if you read the classic symptoms of anxiety and depression, that's all me for the last few years, and now I'm breaking through it. Evidence the resurgence of the boat building.

OK, that sounds good, if you're moving and doing things you enjoy you'll be OK. These things come on gently and can be deadly and the drugs can be very helpful. Stay well Bruce.
    Grateful Dead

As Peter said, Bruce!!

Rick

Missed that Bruce, look after yourself.

Thanks for asking mate. I'm taking SSRI drugs for anxiety and depression. I had a 'near miss' experience a few weeks ago and had to listen to advice from the doctor that I'd been ignoring for a little while. All good. It has been a bit of a hard transition onto the drugs and I thought I'd got there, but today I slept nearly all day. The upside is, if you read the classic symptoms of anxiety and depression, that's all me for the last few years, and now I'm breaking through it. Evidence the resurgence of the boat building.
    It can be a hard slog at the best of times, even without the effects of drugs.