Page 939 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 4398398899299389399409499891039 ... LastLast
Results 32,831 to 32,865 of 49866

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Just took a call from goanywhere. He's about 30-40 minutes out of Milang and the wind is just starting to moderate a little. BoM says 17-20 knots. He asks that we all try to will the weather to give him a 10 knot NE on Friday to come home with.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Just took a call from goanywhere. He's about 30-40 minutes out of Milang and the wind is just starting to moderate a little. BoM says 17-20 knots. He asks that we all try to will the weather to give him a 10 knot NE on Friday to come home with.
    That bloke is really starting to make me feel very slack! He's doing stuff in a 16 I should be doing a lot easier in a 24! Bastard.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

The tracker seems to show he's arrived.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Spending spree! Just bought brand new roof racks for the car, took the dud ones back to the wreckers and got my money back...and bought the epoxy and fibreglass cloth and tape for the repairs on Redwing.

Our daughter finally got her post-grad uni results today - BSc with first class honours - Boo Yah!!!
    Must be the good genetics that got her over the line
    Her boyfriend (from Port McQuarrie sp?) has a couple of results still to come, but they should graduate on the same day.
    Dominic's parents are flying over for the graduation - we stayed with them for a couple of nights after the ebs at the Tumby pub, and got on really well, so looking forward to catching up again. To round out the United Nations theme, Caitlin's uni flatmate/bff is South African, and her parents are coming down from Auckland, as she will graduate then too.
    I'm picking the Visa and liver will both take a bit of a hammering come December 18th, when all the parents start misbehaving
    Did I mention that we have all three of these kids staying at ours for the summer (they all have a job at the same place), and that our son is likely moving back home too, due to girl trouble.
    This is going to take some juggling - we have a 1970's 40 gallon water heater (why would anyone need more?), and get by on a "night rate" tarriff. I see some lukewarm showers on the horizon. Come March though, we'll be back to empty nester's, and sanity will prevail.
    Anyway, there is proof that millennials aren't totally a lost cause. These are all really grounded kids who know the value of a dollar, and put in the hard yards to get what they want. I'm stoked, things like this make the whole bollixed up mess that we call parenting, worthwhile.

Pete
    Like a miracle, all the trolls disappeared

Congratulations Pete, definitely good genes passed on !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Our daughter finally got her post-grad uni results today - BSc with first class honours - Boo Yah!!!
    Her boyfriend (from Port McQuarrie sp?) has a couple of results still to come, but they should graduate on the same day.
    Dominic's parents are flying over for the graduation - we stayed with them for a couple of nights after the ebs at the Tumby pub, and got on really well, so looking forward to catching up again. To round out the United Nations theme, Caitlin's uni flatmate/bff is South African, and her parents are coming down from Auckland, as she will graduate then too.
    I'm picking the Visa and liver will both take a bit of a hammering come December 18th, when all the parents start misbehaving
    Did I mention that we have all three of these kids staying at ours for the summer (they all have a job at the same place), and that our son is likely moving back home too, due to girl trouble.
    This is going to take some juggling - we have a 1970's 40 gallon water heater (why would anyone need more?), and get by on a "night rate" tarriff. I see some lukewarm showers on the horizon. Come March though, we'll be back to empty nester's, and sanity will prevail.
    Anyway, there is proof that millennials aren't totally a lost cause. These are all really grounded kids who know the value of a dollar, and put in the hard yards to get what they want. I'm stoked, things like this make the whole bollixed up mess that we call parenting, worthwhile.

Pete
    Well done and pass on the congratulations.

My kids turned out pretty smart, guess I picked the right mothers.

Terrific news Pete, congrats to them all from us in Adeaide. Our daughter is doing a PhD in Physics, and son is an opera singer. Mom's genes.

I finally bit the bullet on one of the boat jobs that has been hanging over my head. A simple infill piece to join between the coamings and the cuddly sides. I've been trying to come up with something clever, and finally realised that a simple, straight forward solution was obviously best. It took a couple of hours.

sent from my nerdy phone app

Congratulations Pete, good times. And well done Goanna, the lake can get nasty In a breeze, short steep waves..We've had some fun there.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post

Pete
    Great to read all this Pete, congratulations all 'round!!

And who needs hot water in Unzud at Christmas anyway? - We all know it's perfect weather from November to April !!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Genes aside it is also all that hard work parental sacrifices and caring that provides the foundations for our children futures that we can be proud of.

We just dropped our youngest at Brisbane Airport tonight bound for a 9 week European backpacking holiday.

Always great to hear of children doing well!

Lovely clear and cool day here today. Might even visit the Sydney Heritage Fleet boatyard if time allows .....

Rick

A very pleasant day here too. Just cool enough to take the edge off..... it was 30 yesterday.
    Grateful Dead

goanywhere should be on his way back to Goolwa now, although I can't see anything on the tracker since a message at 9:00 this morning to say he is fine. I expect he'll be motoring or motorsailing up around the point to Rat Island, then sailing from there. BoM says it's currently blowing 17-21 knots from S so he'll be getting the occasional splash, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    goanywhere should be on his way back to Goolwa now, although I can't see anything on the tracker since a message at 9:00 this morning to say he is fine. I expect he'll be motoring or motorsailing up around the point to Rat Island, then sailing from there. BoM says it's currently blowing 17-21 knots from S so he'll be getting the occasional splash, I think.
    Say hello from me and that I'm looking forward to his write up in the JRA magazine.

My shed is full of the scent of Huon Pine. Now that crunch time has come I've cut the little 'ears' off my portlight surrounds. I am looking for a simple, thin ring of something I can use as the backing plates inside the cuddly.

The most annoying thing about spellcheck is that it takes a perfectly valid word like cuddy, and says no, that can't be right, I'll just change that to cuddly for you.

There's nothing annoying about it at all. It's a cuddly.

PS I've found a box of quite old Nairn round deck hatches, and the rings from a couple of those might be trimmed into service for the inside rings of the port lights. White to match the sole and seats.

Portlight components all made and trimmed and ready to install tomorrow. I'm back to work at the council shortly for the afternoon run.

Too quick for me! I was just going to say, if you have any of those old plastic deck hatches lying around....

No I wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Too quick for me! I was just going to say, if you have any of those old plastic deck hatches lying around....

No I wasn't.
    I've got 4 of them... or are they anodized aluminium?

It looks like goanywhere is on the last leg up towards Goolwa. According to the BoM it has been somewhere around 15-12 knots +/- all day. I had a chat to him after he got through the worst of it, and he was surprised at how rough the lake water was while he was bashing into it under motor. He'll sleep well tonight again. It has been a long haul and a test of him and the boat all day. Hoping he has some time to upload photos and videos soon.

I think this looks like a good deal http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bondi...ler/1129133493

Rick

While this one is just interesting http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/devio...oat/1128330904

Rick

goanywhere is safely back in Goolwa and the TS16 is back on the trailer. 8 hours of solo work in challenging conditions. Well done mate.

Well done indeed !
    Grateful Dead

Bluebags rule!

Rick

Certainly dived right in!

Dove?

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I think this looks like a good deal http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bondi...ler/1129133493

Rick
    he calls it a pramshell. is it a Nutshell?

Quite like the look of http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/devio...oat/1128330904 though the railing work somehow looks quite out of place. But in a seaway it might look quite different I guess.

Yes quite pleasant but for the money I've seen others I prefer. The Harrison Butler Omega i posted recently for a start.

Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    he calls it a pramshell. is it a Nutshell?
    I'm pretty sure it is.

Rick