Page 936 of 1054 FirstFirst ... 4368368869269359369379469861036 ... LastLast
Results 32,726 to 32,760 of 36857

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    From the point of view of selling, raising a price can sometimes get an entirely new group of people t look at an item. A friend once raised the price of his house after 3 months of listing and it sold immediately. A new demographic came and looked.
    yes, there is that. And its the time when banker bonuses are paid and the weather is getting warmer.
    when people are prepared to drop Sydney apartment price amounts of money on an anodyne GRP cruiser then a rare few of them could be tempted by something more stand-out-in-the-crowd at 25% of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    If its Australian made using local cedar then - and i dont know its condition - in the eyes of some people it would be a sacrilegious act if you were to break up a piece of local history.
    Locally made wardrobes of the scale you describe (2.1m!) are rare and reach high prices at auction because of the rarity of authentic 19th century Australian furniture (think $1K-$5K or even more depending on condition and provenance). While it may currently just be a home for spiders and slowly hardening paint for you it could be treasure to others.
    Again, i dont know its condition or appearance - and it may look like a dunny on legs - but maybe a photo to Mossgreen auctioneers might provide some insight on both its cultural and financial value.
    Sad when a rectangular box to store stuff in sells for more than a gorgeous dinghy.

The antique stores in Hobart last WBF had lots of similar items and seemed to value them highly.
    Those antique shops in central Hobart do charge ridiculous prices.

Rick

Beautiful furniture though !!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Anyone remember a car dealer called Kevin Dennis? Actually Kevin Gowing who as a younger man rescued hundreds of Australian cedar pieces of furniture from tips and roadside collections and stored them until they became collectable, partly because there was almost none left. When the revival came he made money of course, but without his stewardship most of it would not have survived. The McAlpine collection served a similar role.

Yes. Actually the woman who owns Kent antiques is an old friend and colleague of mine from Macq Uni. A lot of the furniture they sell is certificated etc. which adds greatly to the cost. I prefer more rustic stuff, as a rule.

Rick

Jeff, years ago, NSW Dept of Education replaced all the old cedar and pine cupboards, desks etc. with plywood, coachwood and laminex stuff. In the country schools, much of the old furniture was burnt in the playgrounds. Very little of it survives. Tragic.

Rick

That's one contract I bet was not particularly kosher.

Just as well I have not kept track of all the hours spent tidying up W B for Hobart I just keep telling myself I'm almost there.

You're almost there!

Rick

Another practise run.

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking great Tom!

Rick

It is !
    Grateful Dead

After the rainfall of the last week the SA reservoirs have moved to a nominal 93% of capacity. The only catchment of any size with any headroom is South Para at 75% and I'm guessing that headroom will be maintained as a contingency. Kangaroo Creek catchment got around 100mm of rain and the reservoir is at a nominal level 112% of rated full capacity. It feeds another downstream reservoir which is also full, and then the River Torrens which flows through the suburbs and city on the way to the sea. A big downfall now would test the theory that the Torrens would flood all the north west suburbs as it makes its way via the natural falls to West Lakes, and the top of the Port River estuary. Not that I'm hoping to see that, and there's no big falls predicted immediately.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 09-16-2016 at 01:06 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Flooding in Adelaide ????? I thought that was a Brisbane trick.
    Grateful Dead

talking weather - what seemed like an early build-up here in Darwin is looking more like an early wet', and it's very nice to see
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thanks Guys.
    This weekend helping out Nellie on a business trip sending the night in Gayndah then early tomorrow we're of to Bundy .
    Monday in Harvey Bay then we will celebrate 25 years of marital bliss at Kingfisher on Fraser Island .

Flooding in Adelaide ????? I thought that was a Brisbane trick.
    Yes indeed. The 2011 flooding in Brisbane was (mostly) caused because Wivenhoe Dam operators had lost sight of the fact that the dam was created as a retarding basin as well as a water storage. So as reservoir operators they felt that the more water behind the wall the better; whereas as flood control officers they should have started releasing water several days earlier than they did. As one of the lawyers in the case said, the operators, "held too much water in the reservoir for too long and then when they realised what they'd done they panicked and released too much at once. Therefore, we had a much larger peak than there needed to be..."

I suspect that part of the problem behind that was the length of the drought that preceded all that rain that Brisbane suddenly found itself having to cope with. The drought, which produced constantly falling storage from 100% in 2000 to less than 20% in 2007, would have brought about a frame of mind in which the operators were happy to harness all the water they could -- becoming 'water misers' in the process and to Brisbane's eventual detriment.

Not the same problem in Adelaide as far as I'm aware, though.
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Apparently Ashton, which is about a bees whisker away from us, had 132mm of rain. We usually get a bit more than Ashton. Quite wet.

Congratulations Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    Yes indeed. The 2011 flooding in Brisbane was (mostly) caused because Wivenhoe Dam operators had lost sight of the fact that the dam was created as a retarding basin as well as a water storage. So as reservoir operators they felt that the more water behind the wall the better; whereas as flood control officers they should have started releasing water several days earlier than they did. As one of the lawyers in the case said, the operators, "held too much water in the reservoir for too long and then when they realised what they'd done they panicked and released too much at once. Therefore, we had a much larger peak than there needed to be..."

I suspect that part of the problem behind that was the length of the drought that preceded all that rain that Brisbane suddenly found itself having to cope with. The drought, which produced constantly falling storage from 100% in 2000 to less than 20% in 2007, would have brought about a frame of mind in which the operators were happy to harness all the water they could -- becoming 'water misers' in the process and to Brisbane's eventual detriment.

Not the same problem in Adelaide as far as I'm aware, though.
    You're right, not really the same, although water management in SA is usually problematic. At the moment some people are complaining about all the water running out to sea as waste. Adelaide's three plank system is now potentially fine for the mid range future. Draws from the lower Murray, catchments in the Ranges, and a desalination plant on standby for conditions where the first two options can't supply enough. I see this as an engineering rather than a political statement and hope responses, if any, will be likewise, or else bilged.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Right! And anyway, what's not to admire about a city that can build all that from just three planks?

Rick

My flood memory centres around the Brisbane '74 floods. A memorable couple of days rowing up and down through the heads of submerged trees up near the city with a river rat mate, salvaging things as they came past. Including a nice 25 foot yacht.

The power of that river, 60 foot up and roaring along was mind boggling.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Right! And anyway, what's not to admire about a city that can build all that from just three planks?

Rick
    Winning comment on the internet today, so far!

Paperback E-book

If you can remember the photo of my new kayak in the surf with a dolphin at Byron Bay, you might be interested to know that the photo has been selected into the semifinalist list of the Moran photography prize.

Paperback E-book

My flood memory centres around the Brisbane '74 floods. A memorable couple of days rowing up and down through the heads of submerged trees up near the city with a river rat mate, salvaging things as they came past. Including a nice 25 foot yacht.

The power of that river, 60 foot up and roaring along was mind boggling.
    I KNEW it! Thank you Mole!

Rick

Things are moving on the sabre front. First 2 pot gloss coat on the deck last night, Paint would have covered the damage better I think. Interior UC today, more tomorrow. I'll do the hull last thing I reckon. Another member has asked 'What if this boat is faster than yours?".

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Things are moving on the sabre front. First 2 pot gloss coat on the deck last night, Paint would have covered the damage better I think. Interior UC today, more tomorrow. I'll do the hull last thing I reckon. Another member has asked 'What if this boat is faster than yours?".
    Then you'll have done your restoration job very well, and I think I know you well enough to say, you'll be pleased.
    Paperback E-book

Yes, that quality 2 pack is very thin. I think somebody did warn about preparation?

Do a swap. Nothing else matters.

Rick

Frequently we are our own worst critics, she will be fine and fast.

Yes, you did Rick, and it is rather difficult to get a smooth finish if you leave it just a bit to long. I will have to do a bit of work near the bow before I put the finish coats on the hull. Second clear gloss on the deck, I like to leave a bit of history showing and undercoat on the sides of the cockpit. I'm not happy about the centreboard case, looks mankey.
    I've got a bit of that two pot undercoat left and I will use it on the cockpit base I think. She's not perfect but she should hold up for a few more seasons yet. Needs a new boom but that's not my problem.

Yes, you did Rick, and it is rather difficult to get a smooth finish if you leave it just a bit to long. I will have to do a bit of work near the bow before I put the finish coats on the hull. Second clear gloss on the deck, I like to leave a bit of history showing and undercoat on the sides of the cockpit. I'm not happy about the centreboard case, looks mankey.
    I've got a bit of that two pot undercoat left and I will use it on the cockpit base I think. She's not perfect but she should hold up for a few more seasons yet. Needs a new boom but that's not my problem.
    Only kidding Jeff! I'll bet she looks great! And anyway, after just one season of capsizes and being dragged across the rocks and cement, who's going to worry about a rougher patch or two? I reckon they'll all be impressed with both the work you've done and the fact that you've been prepared to do it! I have to say, I'm impressed! And that hasn't happened since the last time I stood up for a gybe!

Rick

It was a big plot Rick, I seem to have dodged the race committee and tower duty because of it.
    She probably should have had a new bottom but that was a step too far. I could probably have bought a second hand boat cheaper than the materials I'd need to use.
    It's actually been very interesting, but I won't be sad to stick her back in the club racks.

Not before sharing some photos I hope!

Rick

I have a collection of pics, and I'll do something about that. Getting her back into the proper shape was the hardest bit. That and working out how to do it . But it's not rocket science, just leverage.

This looks pretty good:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/balma...cht/1116510313

Mole?

Rick