Page 919 of 1416 FirstFirst ... 4198198699099189199209299691019 ... LastLast
Results 32,131 to 32,165 of 49544

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I attended several lectures by Salt, mostly on demographics and attendant economic consequences over my working years.
    Alway interesting and full of accessible information. Strangely no mention of avocado's…….

I'll probably stir the mild end of the autism scale, but what the hell... here's the "offending" article:

It's called "Moralisers I Need You", subtitled 'I belong to a secret society and I am looking for new recruits':

If you are under 40 and starting to read this, I politely suggest that you turn the page. There isn't anything here that will interest you. Just me rabbiting on about the old days. Bit of a yawn-fest, really ... Have they gone? Is it just you and me now? Shhh ... act natural and read this column without making a sound. Do not look up; do not make eye contact with anyone. Come close to the page. Closer!

I belong to a secret society and I am looking for new recruits. It's a sect known as the Middle-Aged Moralisers. We in the MAM meet monthly in our members' homes in the suburbs, where we discuss ... hush ... the youth of today. Why the need for secrecy? Well, if it ever got out that middle-aged people talk about young people, all hell would break loose.

We on the MAM membership committee have been watching you. We've seen the pursed lips, the tut-tutting, the head-shaking. We have seen the sighing, the face-palming, the eye-rolling. We think you are one of us. We know it, you know it. Come to our next meeting. You'll find it liberating to know there are others just like you.

This week we're discussing the evils of hipster cafes. Do you know why hipster cafes have milk crates for seating? To keep baby boomers at bay. They know they can't officially ban us, so what do they do? They rig the seating so that tight baby-boomer hamstrings recoil at the prospect of positioning the buttocks below the latitude of the knees. Sitting is fine. Getting up is problematic. And doesn't the sub-40 set know it. They don't want we over-50s despoiling the authentic grooviness of their cafes. (Is groovy still a word?)

Do you know what else hipster cafes do? With malicious aforethought, hipster proprietors deliberately design their menus with the tiniest of writing and print these same menus using a light-coloured ink on light-coloured paper. That is pure evil writ large. And then these same hipster proprietors play thumping, pumping music that reverberates off polished concrete floors so as to eliminate all hope of audible conversation. The meandering middle-aged who have naively wandered into hipster cafes are thereby reduced to pathetically lip-reading conversations, hoping to catch the odd word so as to guess the meaning of entire sentences.

Don't get me started on the befuddlement caused by toilets with obscure signage. Is that an M or is that a W? Is that a top hat or is that a ladies' bonnet? This is a hipster cafe: they wouldn't have a top hat on the door to the men's loo. Unless, of course, they're being ironic. Maybe it is the men's. Why can't we have some light back here? Why can't we have a sign saying men and women?

But all of this is mere ephemera. It gets worse. I have seen young people order smashed avocado with crumbled feta on five-grain toasted bread at $22 a pop and more. I can afford to eat this for lunch because I am middle-aged and have raised my family. But how can young people afford to eat like this? Shouldn't they be economising by eating at home? How often are they eating out? Twenty-two dollars several times a week could go towards a deposit on a house.

There. I've said it. I have said what every secret middle-aged moraliser has thought but has never had the courage to verbalise. Should you disclose the contents of this conversation, I will disavow all knowledge of you and of the existence of this secret society. In fact, this conversation never took place.

Goodbye.

saltb@theaustralian.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I'll probably stir the mild end of the autism scale, but what the hell... here's the "offending" article:

It's called "Moralisers I Need You", subtitled 'I belong to a secret society and I am looking for new recruits':

If you are under 40 and starting to read this, I politely suggest that you turn the page. There isn't anything here that will interest you. Just me rabbiting on about the old days. Bit of a yawn-fest, really ... Have they gone? Is it just you and me now? Shhh ... act natural and read this column without making a sound. Do not look up; do not make eye contact with anyone. Come close to the page. Closer!

I belong to a secret society and I am looking for new recruits. It's a sect known as the Middle-Aged Moralisers. We in the MAM meet monthly in our members' homes in the suburbs, where we discuss ... hush ... the youth of today. Why the need for secrecy? Well, if it ever got out that middle-aged people talk about young people, all hell would break loose.

We on the MAM membership committee have been watching you. We've seen the pursed lips, the tut-tutting, the head-shaking. We have seen the sighing, the face-palming, the eye-rolling. We think you are one of us. We know it, you know it. Come to our next meeting. You'll find it liberating to know there are others just like you.

This week we're discussing the evils of hipster cafes. Do you know why hipster cafes have milk crates for seating? To keep baby boomers at bay. They know they can't officially ban us, so what do they do? They rig the seating so that tight baby-boomer hamstrings recoil at the prospect of positioning the buttocks below the latitude of the knees. Sitting is fine. Getting up is problematic. And doesn't the sub-40 set know it. They don't want we over-50s despoiling the authentic grooviness of their cafes. (Is groovy still a word?)

Do you know what else hipster cafes do? With malicious aforethought, hipster proprietors deliberately design their menus with the tiniest of writing and print these same menus using a light-coloured ink on light-coloured paper. That is pure evil writ large. And then these same hipster proprietors play thumping, pumping music that reverberates off polished concrete floors so as to eliminate all hope of audible conversation. The meandering middle-aged who have naively wandered into hipster cafes are thereby reduced to pathetically lip-reading conversations, hoping to catch the odd word so as to guess the meaning of entire sentences.

Don't get me started on the befuddlement caused by toilets with obscure signage. Is that an M or is that a W? Is that a top hat or is that a ladies' bonnet? This is a hipster cafe: they wouldn't have a top hat on the door to the men's loo. Unless, of course, they're being ironic. Maybe it is the men's. Why can't we have some light back here? Why can't we have a sign saying men and women?

But all of this is mere ephemera. It gets worse. I have seen young people order smashed avocado with crumbled feta on five-grain toasted bread at $22 a pop and more. I can afford to eat this for lunch because I am middle-aged and have raised my family. But how can young people afford to eat like this? Shouldn't they be economising by eating at home? How often are they eating out? Twenty-two dollars several times a week could go towards a deposit on a house.

There. I've said it. I have said what every secret middle-aged moraliser has thought but has never had the courage to verbalise. Should you disclose the contents of this conversation, I will disavow all knowledge of you and of the existence of this secret society. In fact, this conversation never took place.

Goodbye.

saltb@theaustralian.com.au
    People with autism are your latest target now? How much lower are you prepared to sink? Please take your bigotry, arrogance and ignorance elsewhere. None of us need to put up with this.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    ???? there seem to be so many times these days that the trail of conversations here leave me guessing at just what on earth you guys are on about....???
    How row over mashed avocado toast is dividing Australian generations

Good to see such evenhanded coverage of an important social issue from the Beeb.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    People with autism are your latest target now? How much lower are you prepared to sink? Please take your bigotry, arrogance and ignorance elsewhere. None of us need to put up with this.

Rick
    Eh? I don't have 'targets'. Do you? As for you telling me what to do. Take a hike yourself

I'm more than willing to bring such issues to wider prominence though, as an aid to increasing understanding and tolerance.

The term autism spectrum or autism spectrum disorder describes a range of conditions classified as neurodevelopmental disorders in the fifth and most recent revision of the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) published in 2013. Individuals diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder must present two types of symptoms:

• Deficits in social communication and social interaction
    • Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests or activities

The DSM-5 redefined the autism spectrum disorders to encompass the previous (DSM-IV-TR) diagnoses of autism, Asperger syndrome, pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS), and childhood disintegrative disorder.

Features of these disorders include social deficits and communication difficulties, stereotyped or repetitive behaviors and interests, sensory issues, and in some cases, cognitive delays.
    Last edited by The Bigfella; 10-19-2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: fix layout

Quote Originally Posted by seedy View Post
    How row over mashed avocado toast is dividing Australian generations

Good to see such evenhanded coverage of an important social issue from the Beeb.
    The humourless have emerged, along with those who can smile. On the serious side of the issue, there was a time when the young would buy cheap apartments as the first step towards the 'quarter acre block'... but that seems to be beneath the millennials.

Eh? I don't have 'targets'. Do you? As for you telling me what to do. Take a hike yourself

I'm more than willing to bring such issues to wider prominence though, as an aid to increasing understanding and tolerance.

The term autism spectrum or autism spectrum disorder describes a range of conditions classified as neurodevelopmental disorders in the fifth and most recent revision of the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) published in 2013. Individuals diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder must present two types of symptoms:

• Deficits in social communication and social interaction
    • Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests or activities

The DSM-5 redefined the autism spectrum disorders to encompass the previous (DSM-IV-TR) diagnoses of autism, Asperger syndrome, pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS), and childhood disintegrative disorder.

Features of these disorders include social deficits and communication difficulties, stereotyped or repetitive behaviors and interests, sensory issues, and in some cases, cognitive delays.
    People who make prejudicial jokes are ignorant and bigoted. People who then deny their own behaviour are also cowardly. You fit these descriptions all too well. You target minorities, you stalk people across the WB Forum and I imagine other forums. You are a troll who seeks to upset and annoy. Your baiting of people is widely known - I wonder how often it's been reported. You are unwelcome on this thread. I'd be grateful if you would pollute it no longer.

Rick

People who make prejudicial jokes are ignorant and bigoted. People who then deny their own behaviour are also cowardly. You fit these descriptions all too well. You target minorities, you stalk people across the WB Forum and I imagine other forums. You are a troll who seeks to upset and annoy. Your baiting of people is widely known - I wonder how often it's been reported. You are unwelcome on this thread. I'd be grateful if you would pollute it no longer.

Rick
    What a load of poppycock.

Do you resort to such ill-informed, judgemental poppycock on a regular basis?

As much as I'd like to hang around... I've volunteered to move house for some handicapped folks over the next few days.

Feel free to find another target until later.

Oh yes, I'm sure the `handicapped folks' will be most grateful for your help and understanding. Oh, was that another pig just flew by?

Rick

Oh yes, I'm sure the `handicapped folks' will be most grateful for your help and understanding. Oh, was that another pig just flew by?

Rick
    Indeed they are. They even shed a tear yesterday. Emotion's a funny thing.

OK, bye for now... gotta run

I think I must have joined without realising - I so dislike that whole hipster thing.....but I do like avo's
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

On the serious side of the issue, there was a time when the young would buy cheap apartments as the first step towards the 'quarter acre block'... but that seems to be beneath the millennials.
    I guess if the baby boomers and investors have bumped the price of housing up out of reach of the Hipsters, they may as well at least eat well.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I think I must have joined without realising - I so dislike that whole hipster thing.....but I do like avo's
    Sheesh, when I read that I thought of the other AVOs . Spent some time assisting a stalking victim earlier this week.

It's a weird world

I'm with Rick.

So we're not likely to see you sporting a man bun then?
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Careful how you go gentlemen, mind the troll as you pass on to another boat post.
    This looks a goodun with a history:

Tahua,
    Tahua's keel was laid in the first weeks of 1939 in the yard of W.C. Holmes and Co. of Blues Point, Lavender Bay, Sydney Harbour, to a design by A.C. (Archie) Barber. Her original owner, Squadron-Leader George Clark RAAF who served in Australia, Singapore, Malaya and New Guinea paid ?600 for the boat, complete with 4HP Penta engine, two suits of sails, and all fittings and cabin equipment.

http://woodenboat.com.au/forsale/lis...p?boatid=40139

Reasonable price too I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post

Like !

Tahua: Built 1939 Lavender Bay, Sydney Harbour

LOA 24ft 4in.
    LWL 20ft 6in.
    Beam 8ft 6in.
    Draught 4ft 1in.
    Displacement 8,400lb
    Lead ballast keel 3360lb
    Sail area 360sq.ft.
    Designer A.C. (Archie) Barber, Sydney.
    Builder W.C. Holmes and Co., Sydney.
    Planking One-inch Kauri pine
    Grown frames Broad-leaf ti-tree
    Steamed timbers Spotted gum.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Careful how you go gentlemen, mind the troll as you pass on to another boat post.

Tahua,
    Tahua's keel was laid in the first weeks of 1939 in the yard of W.C. Holmes and Co. of Blues Point, Lavender Bay, Sydney Harbour, to a design by A.C. (Archie) Barber. Her original owner, Squadron-Leader George Clark RAAF who served in Australia, Singapore, Malaya and New Guinea paid ?600 for the boat, complete with 4HP Penta engine, two suits of sails, and all fittings and cabin equipment.

tch tch. so very childish

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    not at the rate that I'm loosing my hair - but it was the bits about sitting on milk crates with ageing hamstrings and small print menu's that I was really relating to
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

We just had a blast of dry air through here that seemed to be on the edge of the roof's ability to stay on the house. It was measured at a station a couple of Km or so from here gusting 45 knots and it seemed to be at least that here. I went out and can't see any damage to our place, or up the street. I think we'll see something about this one in the news in the morning though.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Yes, I have been wondering if I should……
    But as for mootings, there's a big range depending on where

• Swing mooring balnarring

$500.00 Negotiable

For sale is a swing mooring at balnarring, westernport. It is just near the westernport sailing club. Great beach and great spot to keep the boat over summer. Price is less than the value of the tackle. Has previously had a 7m trailer sailer on it. Fees are due in November. $110 annually to parks Victoria

Yesterday
      Mornington PeninsulaBalnarring

Add to watchlist

• Swing Mooring Morington, Vic

$5,000.00

Swing mooring located at Mornington Harbour, Vic. Suited to a boat up to approx 33 feet depending on weight and draught.

I try and avoid mootings - they have no relevance
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I try and avoid mootings - they have no relevance
    Unless you're a law student ....A law school's courtroom. A moot court is an extracurricular activity at many law schools in which participants take part in simulated court proceedings, which usually involves drafting memorials or memoranda and participating in oral argument.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post

Tahua,

Really nice package! Isn't it great to see such a well cared for boat of that age?

Rick

OK, here is yet more boat-related content.
    on ebay, a Ross Lillistone Little Egret.
    Very pretty, and very nice for shallow places.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    OK, here is yet more boat-related content.
    on ebay, a Ross Lillistone Little Egret.
    Very pretty, and very nice for shallow places.

Thanks Chris. That's Johnno's boat. John's a friend and fairly regular contributor to the WBF. Selling due to a spinal injury - lovely boat! The thread about John's build of this boat is buried in the WBF archives somewhere ......

Rick

That 25 footer does look nice, except for the raised cabin, which is bloody awful. From the extended description it sounds like she's had at least 3 lives, lucky to have found a new owner at the critical times.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    That 25 footer does look nice, except for the raised cabin, which is bloody awful. From the extended description it sounds like she's had at least 3 lives, lucky to have found a new owner at the critical times.
    Yep, It's what happens when you try to get headroom in a 24 footer with a conventional hull shape.

Grateful Dead

Just as an offering of boat content here's a 29 footer for sale ( in the UK unfortunately) , a very old fashioned hull shape but also a very good one. http://www.classicboat.co.uk/article...lt-as-a-yacht/

A hull of that shape allows a real 6 foot of headroom and a very easy motion.

Grateful Dead

I don't mind a tall cabin in a squat little boat. I do envy the head room! But generally I don't like tall cabins and maybe if I saw this one in profile I wouldn't like it either.

Nice boat Peter! You have a thing about this kind of boat .....

Rick

Loyal, the Sydney to Hobart maxi, is up on the hard stand in Newcastle. You have to see the keel on this thing to believe it! Sort of hate to admit it but I think it's a great looking boat! Not a very tall cabin ...... I'll post some pictures if I can.

Rick

Thanks Chris. That's Johnno's boat. John's a friend and fairly regular contributor to the WBF. Selling due to a spinal injury - lovely boat! The thread about John's build of this boat is buried in the WBF archives somewhere ......

Rick
    Sorry to hear that.