Page 908 of 1435 FirstFirst ... 40880885889890790890991895810081408 ... LastLast
Results 31,746 to 31,780 of 50204

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Daa dumm ..... dom dom dom dom ...

I had to do some work on our high roof, the two storey one, so I put a couple of brackets on roofing screws and strung a bit of 4 x 3 between them, to work from. I've been up there on and off for the last couple of weeks. The board I chose is hard as rock and about 150 years old. It's an old ceiling joist. Aaaanyway, today I took it down, and threw it onto the grass from the deck, which is only one storey up. When the thing hit the ground, it snapped in half! It must have already had a crack or something right through it. Glad that didn't happen while it was supporting me on the roof. I don't think the guttering would have stopped the slide.

Rick

Is that boring enough?

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Phone towers are on battery backup systems that will be spent within the next 3 to 4 hours apparently. There's no real clues yet when power will be restored to SA. Might have to go live in the truck.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    The news mentioned something about 4:15am, I think.

We're going on the ferry to Tasmania in Feb. I booked the tickets a few months ago. Just day tickets, no special seats or cabin. But today SWMBO insisted that I book seats called Recliners. I think it's for people who want to sleep but I want to look at the sea and birds. She says it'll mean we get seats with a view but I reckon there'll be loads of seats with a view. Is anyone familiar with the setup?

Rick

For a day sailing no real point getting the recliners. If you want a nap go to the cinema. Sometimes we get a cabin even for a day sail. Worth checking the price can be quite cheap.

Oh and yes there are plenty of seats with a view in the general public areas.

Thanks! There's a cinema?

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 09-28-2016 at 06:02 AM.

And a bar. A couple of bars.

Re Hobart, do we ask Paul Fitzgerald about dinner at the yacht club again? And if I remember rightly it was Duncan who organised us into another restaurant on the Saturday. Or was that the festival before………………...

The recliners are above the engine too, kinda rumbly, not so good for sleeping.

Cabins can be woeful too. We ended up in a four-berther with some guy and his kid.... who whinged and wailed and wanted the light on all night. Argh.

Power is back on at Largs, 2:00 am. Not bad considering the infrastructure damage. 275kv towers down.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Weather coming sounds worse. Pouring rain here but little wind and not cold.

Light rain here... but more on the way by the look of the radar. Had to go look out the window... damn new water feature I installed yesterday sounds just like light rain all night.

That line storm that did the damage in SA looked impressive on the radar. I should have captured the image. Nice dark reds to black.

Heavy showers and strong but not gale force wind this morning. Some places still without power but ok here. Volunteer work not cancelled! Wish me luck on the roads with a van full of people!

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Sanity has prevailed and the morning's volunteer work group has been cancelled.

The BoM is saying there is much more to come as the low crosses SA. The weather radar clearly shows the tight low and it's still some way off from passing Adelaide. Apparently there were 22 transmission towers toppled last night, those space-frame jobs that look like aliens striding across the countryside, and the effect was to trip an emergency cutoff of the interconnectors, to protect the upstream power supplies from interstate. The north of the SA is still without power and will be so for some time to come.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 09-28-2016 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Corrected Snitty to Sanity

No power here. Wild night.

Going to get windier as the western side of the low passes over Adelaide. Shouldn't be too bad but inevitably there'll be funnelling in some places so there'll be more damage today. Don't think I'd like to be sailing across Bass Strait this week or next!

Quite windy here - NE.

Good luck to all Southerners!

Rick

We booked the Recliners. I'm glad to hear they're not very good. It'll give me something to whinge about when she complains about my accommodation choices outside Hobart.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    We booked the Recliners. I'm glad to hear they're not very good. It'll give me something to whinge about when she complains about my accommodation choices outside Hobart.

Rick
    While discussing your accommodation you could always suggest the next time you will be staying aboard at Constitution dock.

Balia is looking safe and secure in her berth. Quite sheltered where she is for this wind direction. Others in the marina are facing the full brunt of it and some don't look so happy. Auto-unfurling jibs are loud and expensive items in this weather, with gusts over 50 knots measured at Outer Harbour, near the marina. A large Norfolk Island Pine trunk has snapped completely with the debris placed neatly as it can be on the road side. The trunk size was pretty big, and it completely shattered. Reminds me a bit of Lorne in 1983.

Thanks Bruce, saved me a 2 hour round trip. I have fired up our el cheapo GMC generator at home. Enough to run the circulation pump for the heating system, router and iPad. It's not wired into the house system, and is only 750 wattevers, but it's enough to get by this morning. My mate who's just bought a property nearby wants to go looking at tractors and quad bikes and such toys. Me I reckon stay inside, keep the fire going and drink coffee sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Re Hobart, do we ask Paul Fitzgerald about dinner at the yacht club again? And if I remember rightly it was Duncan who organised us into another restaurant on the Saturday. Or was that the festival before………………...
    I've got a house painting job coming up so it looks like pocket money for Hobart.
    Just started raining here. Off to town this morning to start getting all the gear together for the big Foodiefest event in the main street tomorrow night. Supposed to be a bright bright sunny day tomorrow so fingers crossed it is so. We have Kasey Chambers and her father as our headline act so it should be a top night.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Good luck with the foodiefest Gary, sounds like it will be a great night.

I'd seen these microscope attachments online you can get for your phone and I had considered them a bit of a gimmick. Anyway while helping my son move house he gave me one. It just clips over the camera lens.

Could be fun to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Good luck with the foodiefest Gary, sounds like it will be a great night.
    Thanks Phil, who knows I might even get paid this time.
    Duncan says he's coming. Not sure if it's because of Kasey or the promise to buy him a local rum.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Thanks Bruce, saved me a 2 hour round trip. I have fired up our el cheapo GMC generator at home. Enough to run the circulation pump for the heating system, router and iPad. It's not wired into the house system, and is only 750 wattevers, but it's enough to get by this morning. My mate who's just bought a property nearby wants to go looking at tractors and quad bikes and such toys. Me I reckon stay inside, keep the fire going and drink coffee sounds better.
    I pulled my GMC 750 watter out during our last blackout. Damn thing has a plastic fitting to the fuel tank... and it snapped off. I've got the fuel tank off, waiting for me to find a fitting to solder onto it.

IIRC, it was this thread where someone (Greg?) recommended the Ozito hammer drill. Used it for drilling through bricks yesterday. Bloody brilliant.

Bought it from the big greenish box store. There were two options, 900w at $115 and 1500w at $149. I went bigger is better. I bought a set of 8 long 4-point SDS drill bits for it for $80 via fleabay. IIRC 10mm to 25mm and up to 450mm long. I also bought a 100mm concrete-cutting holesaw with extended arbor for about another $100 all up.

It works a treat. It took about 15 seconds to bite through the middle of a brick with an 18mm bit so that I could poke some conduit through.... and another 3 or 4 seconds to run through it again with a 20mm bit when the conduit didn't fit.

That's the drill in the sump casing of the water feature that I was wiring up...

Some of the conduit still visible... near the petrified tree stump. Water feature sounded like a babbling brook all night long. Should be nice on a still night.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    While discussing your accommodation you could always suggest the next time you will be staying aboard at Constitution dock.
    Re Hobart dinner, do we ask Paul to see if the Yacht Club is available again? If so we'd better do numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Re Hobart dinner, do we ask Paul to see if the Yacht Club is available again? If so we'd better do numbers.
    Count me on what ever is decided.

It's blowing its thing off down here now. The BoM says it's blowing 35 knots at the Harbour, and it's certainly no less than that, and gusting well above. It's at the stage where it would be dangerous to walk down the street for fear of being blown over, if I was silly enough to try.

50 knots will blow you over. 65 knots will blow you away. But I've been in 70 and didn't go over or away. I need to lose weight.

Rick

50 knots will blow you over. 65 knots will blow you away. But I've been in 70 and didn't go over or away. I need to lose weight.

Rick

I recall going down to Woollahra Sailing Club (used to race the Tornado from there) at this time of year - it was Grand Final Day- just to take a look... as sailing had been cancelled for the day. IIRC the wind was 117 km/h that day. It was screeching through the rigging of the boats in the yard. The spray was horizontal. Ugly stuff.

Rick
    Now imagine sitting in that plus, in a yacht in Bass Straight laying ahull with storm sails blown out and falling off the back of waves the size of Anzac Hill (in Alice Springs) with no backs to them.

(I don't know why, but whenever I of hear wind speeds of 70+knots my mind immediately goes to that............)

Somewhere at home I have a satellite image of the weather system over us at that time - I must find it and scan it.
    Last edited by Larks; 09-29-2016 at 02:52 AM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I wouldn't enjoy that. But I think you're privileged to have had that experience. I was sailboarding once and the wind blew the board and rig away but it was on very enclosed waters so no real drama. Good lesson though!

Sitting in front of the new fireplace that I've spent a month and a fortune installing. Inaugural firing. House hasn't burnt down yet and all seems well and cosy.

Rick

The wind gets funnelled down our street, so the speeds measured in the open are nowhere near the 60 knots mark. It has been around 35+ gusting 45+ since around 3:00pm and there has been a notice from the pollies and the police that anyone working that can leave work early should do that and go home. It's possible that the weather tonight could be stronger than last night. It doesn't look like it on the charts, but it pays to be prudent, I guess. The council have sent crews out doing all sorts of jobs, like taking away broken street trees and debris. They've done our street and there are already four more broken bits on the verges waiting for the next cleanup round.

The power has stayed on all day since they got the northern transmission lines isolated. Hard, thankless work by the crews. Quite a few rivers and creeks all over the state are in flood now. Nothing like serious flooding from big rivers interstate, but still quite dangerous if people try to get through.

Balia, in the meantime, still looks rock solid secure. Phil picked the best spot in the marina, sheltered by the houses immediately to the weather side of her.