Page 900 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 40080085089089990090191095010001400 ... LastLast
Results 31,466 to 31,500 of 49866

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Bunnings I go. I just unloaded 400kg of concrete mix from the Missus' car.... I mean truck - and that's after 300kg yesterday. It's back there for one last bag of render and today I learn a new trade... rendering. The concrete on the new steps was still too green to strip it when "we" rendered the retaining wall yesterday, so I get to finish it today.

That pre-mix dry concrete doesn't go far. We had to "go Cambodian" with the steps... and drop in some old bricks, etc to get it done... it's only 900 mm wide with one tread and two risers.... and it took 16 bags plus a lot of "fill". I've got a 1m wide path about 2.5m long to do out the back. I'm going Cambodian on it too. Fill it with rubble and cover it about 30mm... which is more cover than my Khmer mates would use.

I've had a gutful of my old German impact drill too. It jumps out of gear constantly... so I'll try a Cheap Chinese Ozito and see what $200 will do these days. I've got to sink some very deep bolts for the car hoist.... about 350mm in - and they're about 18-20mm diameter... not that I can get to them yet.
    I've got an older version of this and it's terrific, does a much better job as a hammer drill or small jackhammer than the Dewalt and Makita hammer drills that I have - The Makita is a great drill but nowhere near as effective as a hammer drill, the Dewalt is just crap all-round....

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-15...drill_p6290261

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Yes Greg, that's the one I bought. They have that @ 1500 watts for $149, or the 900 watt version for $119. I spent the extra $30... and another $50 for a super dooper drill bit, which doesn't fit, of course. So, it can go back and I'll get some more via ebay. Needs to be an SDS bit.

I used the jackhammer chisel and it's a ripper. I'm impressed... and it's got a 3 year warranty.

This building game isn't cheap, eh? That extra bit of concrete out front owes me about $10k

My neighbour has one I can borrow, the same machine. He borrows my cement mixer so it works out.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I've got an older version of this (Ozito) and it's terrific, does a much better job as a hammer drill or small jackhammer than the Dewalt and Makita hammer drills that I have - The Makita is a great drill but nowhere near as effective as a hammer drill, the Dewalt is just crap all-round....
    A Bunnings toolman and friend of a friend confided - when I took back yet another broken Ryobi - that they get fewer Ozito returns than any other brand. So I'm trying out their jigsaw, and already it's lasted longer than my two prior Ryobis. But then, of course, the explanation might be that Ozito weekend warriors don't find the on-off switch very often. We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Yes Greg, that's the one I bought. They have that @ 1500 watts for $149, or the 900 watt version for $119. I spent the extra $30... and another $50 for a super dooper drill bit, which doesn't fit, of course. So, it can go back and I'll get some more via ebay. Needs to be an SDS bit.

I used the jackhammer chisel and it's a ripper. I'm impressed... and it's got a 3 year warranty.

This building game isn't cheap, eh? That extra bit of concrete out front owes me about $10k
    I'm surprised about the bit not fitting, I've bought my extra SDS bits from Bunnings and all good. Last time I was home and had to drill into my particularly hard concrete footing pillars to epoxy in some reo bar to tie into my retaining walls, I paid a bit more for a bit with a different head to try it out and was really impressed with it. It looked, from memory something like a flattened out philips head.

By the way, don't bother trying to use the chuck with normal masonry bits on hammer, it's next to useless for that purpose.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    My neighbour has one I can borrow, the same machine. He borrows my cement mixer so it works out.
    Sounds like a good arrangement Peter. You make the concrete and he digs it up.

Foredeck fixed, a modicum of citrus stripper and it just peeled away. Nice figuring on the ply under all that junk. I need a small can of Cetol now. Painting is the next step. Away tomorrow but it's turned nastily cold. Floods forecast just about everywhere but here, our sky is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I'm surprised about the bit not fitting, I've bought my extra SDS bits from Bunnings and all good. Last time I was home and had to drill into my particularly hard concrete footing pillars to epoxy in some reo bar to tie into my retaining walls, I paid a bit more for a bit with a different head to try it out and was really impressed with it. It looked, from memory something like a flattened out philips head.

By the way, don't bother trying to use the chuck with normal masonry bits on hammer, it's next to useless for that purpose.

... it was an ordinary style bit that I bought. I hadn't realised that you needed SDS bits... and of course, the sales "expert" didn't pick it up.

Somebody please save my marriage and buy this Cherub (bargain of the century!):

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/quean...ngy/1123721371

Rick

Wow ! but rather a long drive for me .....Mike ?
    Grateful Dead

$50.00 and some twat has already made an offer, presumably for less.

Perhaps more ? I've done that .
    Grateful Dead

That boat looks in great condition, and my favourite class of sailboat…………..

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Somebody please save my marriage and buy this Cherub (bargain of the century!):

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/quean...ngy/1123721371

Rick
    Next boat or mast I buy I will be stashing at a friends place in order to be able to celebrate our 25 year Wedding anniversary next week.

Getting one that soon?

Watching Dylan Winter's KTL and I've just watched series 3 which deals with The Broads. Wonderful stuff, those Broads yachts can really move.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Getting one that soon?
    Just trying to stay one step ahead of my affliction.

Bloody hell thats a good find! If I wasnt already building the navigator I would have jumped on it!
    Matthew Dundon BMSc&Mgt, MEIA

"Jack of all trades, master of none"

I just rescued a couple of swallow chicks in the nest on our front verandah, a brown tree snake was climbing the window trim and doing a very good job of it. It was close to getting dinner in the clay nest stuck to a rafter but I moved it on..... but it may still come back. They're a very passive snake and you can just pick them up and carry them with no trouble.
    Grateful Dead

I lived up in the Daintree for 7 months a few years back. Those thungs are everywhere up there, beautiful snakes though.
    Matthew Dundon BMSc&Mgt, MEIA

"Jack of all trades, master of none"

Looking at up to 80mm of rain tonight, and a forecast of destructive winds. Might be a good day to go down to Balia and brew up a coffee tomorrow.

We got 35 mm today, but compared to the western district it's nothing. Still and light cloud tonight.

We have heavy rain on the way but I hope it misses me, I've got a boat related day organised for tomorrow.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Looking at up to 80mm of rain tonight, and a forecast of destructive winds. Might be a good day to go down to Balia and brew up a coffee tomorrow.
    Winds on the coast 30-35 knots with gusts possible to 45. Good day to be below decks with that coffee.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

As for water catchment capacity, only South Para Reservoir has any real capacity left. It looks likely that Kangaroo Creek will overflow if the predicted rainfall actually happens. It's always a bit of a show when that happens due to the spillway design. There's about 15% headroom on average spread over the reservoirs, but it's not evenly spread, and lots of the smaller reservoirs are full, one already over its nominal capacity.

ETA the authorities like to maintain a good bit of headroom on our reservoirs, and that's about to be pushed aside. If we were to get a second event next week like we are in line for tomorrow there would have to be a significant release into the suburban creeks. As it is, the Torrens lake in the city looks like someone upstream pulled the chain. It might be wise for them to consider opening a weir gate tonight...

As far as the Murray is concerned any excess will simply flush muck and salt into the lakes, and possibly out through the mouth if it's a really big flow. A proper flushing is a very rare thing.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I haven't seen the state of the lakes in yonks, and there isn't anything in the news, so at this stage they won't be dry or overfilled.

Since the barrages were built the lakes accumulate nearly all the salt brought down in the rivers. It would otherwise have mostly gone out to sea eventually, but the lakes are now huge evaporation pans that catch and hold the salt. Someone a while back explained to me that the Australian continent, being so old, weathered and flat, has much more salt than many other newer, mountainous places on the planet. When our bigger river systems carve through it we get comparatively quite a lot of salt in the water. Somehow we don't quite manage it all that well yet.

Any idea of the current state of the Snowy? There was a political push to have sufficient water diverted to it to revive a lot of the river and surrounds, but I never really heard about how successful that was. Is there a mouth at Marlo these days? I guess there would be this weekend coming, at least, and a few weeks after.

The wind here is starting to build up. It's not too bad, but it is gusty. I'm glad we've reduced the wind load on our Blue Gum. The radar shows an interesting swirl of cloud around the low pressure centre.

sent from my nerdy phone app

Looks like you're going to get hammered around midday. Just wet and a bit gloomy here. Dog unhappy.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    I checked on the SA water storage levels Phil , they are looking pretty good.!.
    There is a lot of water coming down the Murray , will that be a problem for SA ?.
    Rob J
    Well we are certainly not used to it. Might blow that dredge right out of the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Looks like you're going to get hammered around midday. Just wet and a bit gloomy here. Dog unhappy.

Rick
    Poor dog, give him a bone or something.

He's had his breakfast already. But it's usually after a walk and it's too wet for that today. Sun peeping through now though ....

Rick

Blowing mid 30s, gusts to mid 40s at the airport and the harbour, and still building at the moment. Significant rain settling in with some good, hard cells showing on the radar. We could exceed the forcast regarding winds by the look of things. I'll be heading down to meet Phil on Balia shortly.

I have my grandparents' old cedar wardrobe sitting downstairs on the verandah, storing paint and gathering dust. It's probably from the 1860s to 90s, and is made from large slabs of cedar. The sides are 2100 high and 450 wide and 20mm thick. The top is the same, not quite as long. The door panels are 10-12mm thick I'd say and also about 450 wide, but a bit shorter because they're let into the door edges. In other words there's a lot of nice cedar in it.

It's hopeless to try to sell that plain old furniture, and the local antique store will only offer a pittance to take it away and they'll then probably sell the wood. I'd rather give it away to someone here if they could make use of it or more particularly the nice timber. Send me a message if anyone is interested.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    I have my grandparents' old cedar wardrobe sitting downstairs on the verandah, storing paint and gathering dust. It's probably from the 1860s to 90s, and is made from large slabs of cedar. The sides are 2100 high and 450 wide and 20mm thick. The top is the same, not quite as long. The door panels are 10-12mm thick I'd say and also about 450 wide, but a bit shorter because they're let into the door edges. In other words there's a lot of nice cedar in it.

It's hopeless to try to sell that plain old furniture, and the local antique store will only offer a pittance to take it away and they'll then probably sell the wood. I'd rather give it away to someone here if they could make use of it or more particularly the nice timber. Send me a message if anyone is interested.
    I'd grab it for my H28 furniture John, it'd be ideal. But how quickly do you want it moved? I'm in Darwin and wouldn't be able to get it until Christmas
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Now there's a result

Meanwhile.... this Golden Ale is going down a treat. After swinging a club hammer, demolishing formwork, this morning, cutting reo with boltcutters and then compacting rubble with a crowbar... I mixed the concrete in a barrow. Ugh. I see a Radox bath in the very near future.