Page 890 of 1424 FirstFirst ... 3907908408808898908919009409901390 ... LastLast
Results 31,116 to 31,150 of 49810

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I love those triton jaws, don't have any myself yet, but a few friends do and they really are great. Not quite compact enough for me and my trailer though, unless those legs fold up?

I'll keep an eye out for the router attachment Rick. I havent got a router yet, and will definitely want one to nicely bevel the edges of the seats, so might get lucky and find table and router cheaply.

Also, I've been doing a bit of reading online and saw this deck in a navigator and his writeup on how he made it. http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.com/20...ked-seats.html and http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.com/20...ts-part-2.html It's absolutely beautiful imho but the cost of timber would be nuts and it'd add a fair bit of weight at that thickness. I'm thinking I might use 6mm hardwood marine ply with a nice light colour and decent grain, router 3mm groves that look like boards, and then fill in the gaps with a died epoxy or black sika. When sanded back it should look great. Just need to decide on the pattern. What do you all think?

Have also fallen in love with this tiller

Will be difficult for me to make myself without much woodworking experience, but I think I could manage it.
    Matthew Dundon BMSc&Mgt, MEIA

"Jack of all trades, master of none"

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    Are they the ones that went to Singapore on the Krait?
    No, don't think so... I think they were Folboats

I like the kayak - I'd buy it.

Matt, laminated tillers are nice and strong but you have to consider how it's attached to the rudder. You don't want bolts or screws running through in line with the laminations. It's a common error and prone to failure. If you laminate vertically, it's easier as you simply laminate up a block and cut your shape out of that. If you laminate horizontally, you need to make a jig/mould to form the shape, and it's a bit trickier gluing it up. Not difficult though.

Re the deck: don't do it. There are much better ways to build a deck that'll look great and last a long time.

Rick

Matt personally I reckon ply tarted up to mimic planks would look like, well, ply tarted up to look like planks. I also reckon pretty much anything that doesn't spend most of its time under cover should be painted, not varnished. Except maybe the odd bit of trim, and I'm not sure about that. But that's just me.

Picked up a great book at the secondhand bookshop yesterday. It's called Australian Ocean Racing, published in 1967. It includes lines drawings of most of my favourite designs - Stormvogel, Siandra (Lion), Tasman Seabird etc. with terrific photos from the 50s and 60s. $7 - I feel like I stole it! So many great boats - Ondine, Dame Pattie, Gretel, Freya .......

The second paragraph begins: Though we live in a computer age .... 1967!

Rick

Prescient ! but jumping the gun a bit in 1967.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Picked up a great book at the secondhand bookshop yesterday. It's called Australian Ocean Racing, published in 1967. It includes lines drawings of most of my favourite designs - Stormvogel, Siandra (Lion), Tasman Seabird etc. with terrific photos from the 50s and 60s. $7 - I feel like I stole it! So many great boats - Ondine, Dame Pattie, Gretel, Freya .......

The second paragraph begins: Though we live in a computer age .... 1967!

Rick
    I own that book!, A few years ago when Shamus was looking for info I delved into that for some Sydney Hobart data for him.

Ah the computer age. Makes me feel old! Back at school we had access to a computer at the local university, which was supposed to be pretty cool. We wrote basic code by making pencil marks on cards, which got fed into the computer, and if you were lucky a week or two later there came back a big wad of that flip flop paper with holes in the sides, dot matrix printed with your name in huge grey letters. Seemed more boring than cool to me. Then I started work, and the secretaries had electronic golf ball typewriters, with an actual memory, so they could make corrections without having to retype a whole letter. Bigger documents went to the WP pool where they had actual computers with floppy disc memories. Then came the fax machine, email, and the Internet. Mobile phones. Big they were, with even bigger batteries, like a small car battery. Im sure that before long all the functionality of a smart phone and more will be held in a small chip which will be surgically implanted in our bodies and hard wired to our brains.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Ah the computer age. Makes me feel old! Back at school we had access to a computer at the local university, which was supposed to be pretty cool. We wrote basic code by making pencil marks on cards, which got fed into the computer, and if you were lucky a week or two later there came back a big wad of that flip flop paper with holes in the sides, dot matrix printed with your name in huge grey letters. Seemed more boring than cool to me. Then I started work, and the secretaries had electronic golf ball typewriters, with an actual memory, so they could make corrections without having to retype a whole letter. Bigger documents went to the WP pool where they had actual computers with floppy disc memories. Then came the fax machine, email, and the Internet. Mobile phones. Big they were, with even bigger batteries, like a small car battery. Im sure that before long all the functionality of a smart phone and more will be held in a small chip which will be surgically implanted in our bodies and hard wired to our brains.
    It already is. Yours appears to be faulty. Please come in to the service centre for a re-boot.

Haha awesome! Keep an eye out for ship building books for me too if your around second hand bookshops.

Thanks for the frank warnings about the deck guys. I'll grab a scrap bit of marine ply and do a trial of that style of deck. Should give me a quick idea of if it'll end up looking rubbish. I think that the fact that only the surface laminate will be visible might mean I can make it work. But will be doing a trial first.

Good point about the tiller and not being able to bolt through horizontally. I'll be doing it all from scratch so could definitely either bolt vertically, or laminate vertically instead. It does sound a lot easier to laminate vertically then just cut it out!

I'll have a search too, but where in Sydney/Newcastle do you guys source your timbers? I might even head to kimbriki tip and see if theres anything I could recycle for hardwood.

I had to remove the Mahogany deck on the Yellowtail, which had been laid using polypaste (builders bog of some sort) by the guy who'd started the boat

Found some nice steel nails in there too

My mistake at the time was to not go far enough. I should have removed the Mahogany cover strip and the white pulp (Pine) gunwale.

Hmmm

I ended up re-decking it with epoxy-coated marine ply and a veneer of about 6mm or was it 8mm x 25mm strips of Caledonian Oak - a pink variety of Silky Oak

At some stage, after a few higher priority projects, I'll remove that gunwale and fix it.

Note to Peter Sibley... in photo above, you can see the alternate station for the winch post for the trailer. It allows me to carry boats of various lengths, in the right position. 4 bolts... and it self-locates with a central peg

Quote Originally Posted by MattDundon View Post
    Haha awesome! Keep an eye out for ship building books for me too if your around second hand bookshops.

Thanks for the frank warnings about the deck guys. I'll grab a scrap bit of marine ply and do a trial of that style of deck. Should give me a quick idea of if it'll end up looking rubbish. I think that the fact that only the surface laminate will be visible might mean I can make it work. But will be doing a trial first.

Good point about the tiller and not being able to bolt through horizontally. I'll be doing it all from scratch so could definitely either bolt vertically, or laminate vertically instead. It does sound a lot easier to laminate vertically then just cut it out!

I'll have a search too, but where in Sydney/Newcastle do you guys source your timbers? I might even head to kimbriki tip and see if theres anything I could recycle for hardwood.
    Next time you're passing through Glen Innes, there's an excellent second hand bookshop there with a good boating section..... not what you'd expect that far inland.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    It already is. Yours appears to be faulty. Please come in to the service centre for a re-boot.
    I used to get phone calls like that all the time. Some service centre in Mumbai. Just wanted my password and they'd fix it for me. Funny thing is I don't think there was anything wrong. I think those guys were just arx holes.

Ian, that's very pretty silky oak.
    Grateful Dead

I used to get phone calls like that all the time. Some service centre in Mumbai. Just wanted my password and they'd fix it for me. Funny thing is I don't think there was anything wrong. I think those guys were just arx holes.
    Now they don't even need your password.

We've been getting those very threatening and demanding phone calls from the "Tax office" demanding payment of unpaid taxes or risk prosecution....blah blah blah....unfortunately we're only getting them on the answering machine - I really wish I could catch one myself.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Marshalls Timber at Cardiff and Anagote Timber at Marrickville. For plywood, just go to Mr Plywood at Lambton.

A plywood deck really needs to be sheathed with fibreglass or it will check, leak and rot. Teak strip decks look great for a couple of years then look and perform like crap for the next few years until they turn to mush. If the teak is thick and carefully installed on a yacht deck, they can be fairly stable but they never function as well as a glassed deck finished properly with non-skid. A ply deck, grooved and filled with goop won't last at all. It'll take on moisture and rot. If you really must have a strip deck, then do it properly. Install a ply deck and then glass it with glass cloth and epoxy. Then glue strips of teak onto that. You can screw and glue them on but you have to bed each screw in an epoxy plug if you do that. Even then you still have to deal with the black goop separating from the teak, you'll have a deck that's too hot to sit on in summer and that's slippery when wet. But it can be done. Alternatively, glass and paint the deck and then use your time and money on things that will actually improve the performance and integrity of the boat.

If you go to the secondhand bookshop in Darby St, you'll find the Gougeon Bros manual on construction of boats with timber and epoxy. It's $20. It's the older edition but that doesn't matter.

My tip is to not use West epoxy. It's very good but goes off too quickly and the 5:1 mix ratio is too fussy for me. I prefer Bote Cote as it's 2:1 and takes forever to go off. But go to MW In Broadmeadow and see what else they have.

The designer of your boat, John Welsford, is a member of this forum and seems very approachable. I suggest contacting him in NZ or through the WB Forum and seeking his advice re deck materials etc.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 08-30-2016 at 06:33 PM.

Another unfinished project for someone in Vic. on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    We've been getting those very threatening and demanding phone calls from the "Tax office" demanding payment of unpaid taxes or risk prosecution....blah blah blah....unfortunately we're only getting them on the answering machine - I really wish I could catch one myself.
    Send me your contact details and next time they call I'll give your details to them so that you can speak with them directly.

Rick

I've had two of those unpaid tax phone calls too, someone is working very hard .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I've had two of those unpaid tax phone calls too, someone is working very hard .
    True... but they just send written demands to me.

If you go to the secondhand bookshop in Darby St, you'll find the Gougeon Bros manual on construction of boats with timber and epoxy. It's $20. It's the older edition but that doesn't matter.
    also available as a free pdf from http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/...k%20061205.pdf

The designer of your boat, John Welsford, is a member of this forum and seems very approachable. I suggest contacting him in NZ or through the WB Forum and seeking his advice re deck materials etc.

John is very approachable, if a little busy, and open to design modifications to suit different users. Join the welsford yahoo group as there's lots of people who will be able to answer navigator design-specific construction questions as well.

https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/gr...wbuilders/info

We don't use our land line at all any more. Unplugged the phone and put it in a drawer. Cuts down unwanted phone calls dramatically.

Rob I used tp let them talk and after about 5 minutes say "Thank you, now I have your location and your company name and my people will be around to see you quite soon".
    But them being criminals basically now I just us an Acme Thunderer.

I particularly enjoy the Indian ones, lots of fun. I pretend to be in Madras, who are you? who is this Peter Sibley you are seeking?.... all in my best Punjabi accent . I can keep it going for quite a while sometimes .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Rob I used tp let them talk and after about 5 minutes say "Thank you, now I have your location and your company name and my people will be around to see you quite soon".
    But them being criminals basically now I just us an Acme Thunderer.
    Nothing to stop them doing that back to you... multiple times. I wouldn't do that.

I use the answering machine now. 2 rings and it diverts to voicemail. 99% of our useful phone traffic now goes by mobile.

... on another front, I just had a nuisance caller whilst sitting out the front, painting the hoist base.

Census collector. I was nice to him. He gave me the company line about names being deleted, but ended up with a silent smile when I pointed out that there's a code assigned and with only 300 houses assigned to a CCD, all the data in the census is now longitudinal. He hadn't thought about it until then, but the penny dropped.

I told him they'd wasted enough of my time, but he could leave a form for the missus in case she was interested.

For what it's worth, Big Data is an interesting field. It's amazing what's being collected, as I discovered last year. Funny thing is, if the government just bought some private sector data, it'd be cheaper and better...

I particularly enjoy the Indian ones, lots of fun. I pretend to be in Madras, who are you? who is this Peter Sibley you are seeking?.... all in my best Punjabi accent . I can keep it going for quite a while sometimes .
    I got an Indian call centre a few years back for a telecoms or IT support call. We were playing India at the time. He was rapt when I gave him an update on the score, as they aren't allowed to have it on in the call centre.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I got an Indian call centre a few years back for a telecoms or IT support call. We were playing India at the time. He was rapt when I gave him an update on the score, as they aren't allowed to have it on in the call centre.
    Yep, that's always a good addition but remember I'm in Madras .
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

looks like a decent sort of buy - here's the current version for $495 new: http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W443
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    That's right and it's a great resource. I like to have the book though - not sure why, really.

Rick

Thanks heaps mate! I'll keep an eye on that auction!

That saw is very similar to mine, which is an Electra Bekum brand. The only thing I really don't much like about it is you have to loosen 3 nuts to adjust the blade height. I got mine used, with a band saw, a sander, a dust collector and a thicknesser, all for about $800 off gumtree a few years ago.

That eBay jobbie should be worth twice the current bid. But seeing as there have been five bids so far, and with still over three days to go, it might fetch quite a bit more. When they start bidding early like this their egos get involved and you can wind up with a price war that takes the final figure up too high. (Great if you're the seller, of course.)

The trick with these eBay auctions is to work out what you'd be prepared to pay, and if the then-current bid right near the deadline is lower, put your bid in literally at the very last second so there's no time left for anyone to top it. If you win, you've won at a price you're happy with, and if you lose then someone else has paid too much.
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.