Page 889 of 1428 FirstFirst ... 3897898398798888898908999399891389 ... LastLast
Results 31,081 to 31,115 of 49947

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    "Don't get a lifejacket without a crotch strap. They're diabolical things without it."

Bit like a boat out of water really, but lifejackets can be awkward and clumsy in it.
    The life jackets with multiple straps that are worn kayaking, windsurfing, water skiing etc. don't need a crotch strap. It's the inflatable ones that slip over your neck and only tie off around the waist. When they inflate, they bulge up under your chin. If you don't have a crotch strap, you end up with the whole thing wrapped around your head or gone altogether.

Rick

Congratulations Gary, you are trusted.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

That skipper's people skills seem alright to me.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That skipper's people skills seem alright to me.

Rick
    He's a good bloke and I'd trust him on the helm in any sea he felt he could handle but his manner is a bit abrasive. It took me a while to understand his nature.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

MR there sounds pretty good to me. They really live up to their Dad's Army rep here.

Rick

Thanks guys! I might be able to easily add one to it, if so I'll still grab one.

And congratulations on the potential promotion. Take on the extra responsibility and see how you go with it. My biggest career changes have come from throwing myself in head first. After a couple of weeks I usually have a pretty good idea of wether Ill be good at it or not.

Me and the brother picked up a bunch more hardware, 2 anchors, 2 5.9m masts and 2 sails and booms and a spooling jib for free last night. Will post photos when I have them. Included all the stainless cables and stuff we need, with a bunch of spares. Pretty happy with them.

Also does anyone have a permanent workshop they use?

Please view this ad:

FREE - Saw roller stand / conveyer belt,
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kirra...nt=app_android

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
    http://goo.gl/7NzhP this might be good for ypu. A big long solid roller bench for a saw with Bout 20 rollers for free!
    Matthew Dundon BMSc&Mgt, MEIA

"Jack of all trades, master of none"

Thanks Matt. I have a permanent workshop but I couldn't accommodate a roller table like that.

Rick

I've come to respect people like that a bit more. Amongst my good friends I find its often the surly types that can be the first to offer help and then actually show up when you need it. Though they take me a while to get too sometimes. We place far too much value on "people skills" and not enough on "good people" imho.

Case and point, you salty sea dogs, and the rather grumpy old blokes who have offered us sails, hardware, a boat etc etc. They are the ones who make the world a better place.

Now there's a pity but it might be worth replacing the YSE 12 with something more modern?
    Grateful Dead

Speaking of throwing good money.... I'm waiting to hear back on a price. Called over to a mate's place today to scab a thermo fan from him for the M5 ahead of next Monday's track day... and this was on the verandah

I know the owner (not my mate). He and his brother got it in reasonable condition... varnished.... stripped it back and left it outside. It's still rescuable, but maybe not in varnish.

It's ex military, 1930's.... or so they say. Plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Speaking of throwing good money.... I'm waiting to hear back on a price. Called over to a mate's place today to scab a thermo fan from him for the M5 ahead of next Monday's track day... and this was on the verandah

I know the owner (not my mate). He and his brother got it in reasonable condition... varnished.... stripped it back and left it outside. It's still rescuable, but maybe not in varnish.

It's ex military, 1930's.... or so they say. Plywood.
    I dunno, you'd be surprised what a scrub with a good timber rejuvenator could do to bring it back - something like the Integrain deck rejuvenator or a teak restorer
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Icarus is being given away for free. See last post here for relevant details;

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ighlight=Maica

That's a pity Shaun, just too big a job ?
    Grateful Dead

Went down the pub for a soda water with a couple of mates this evening and who should sit down for a chat and introduce himself but Mathew Hayden! What a nice bloke, knew one of the guys that I was with so joined in and then along came Adam Gilchrist, another particularly nice bloke. Up here with a few mates for a fishing trip.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Sounds like a good evening. Did you talk fishing or cricket?

I raised a glass to Tom Forde, RIP. Details are scant... and there's different stories, but this much I know. He was with a group of riders heading back to Chiang Mai on Sunday from Phayao, an area I transit through almost every time I'm over there. No one saw it, as he left 5 or 10 minutes ahead of the other guys. He was hit from behind.

I took this shot of Tom earlier this year. He'd split with his lady, was moving house and didn't have room for his tortoises any more. He was giving them to another friend.

Last edited by The Bigfella; 08-29-2016 at 07:34 AM.

Sorry to hear about that Ian. I had a friend run down from behind by a vegetable truck in Melbourne one morning when I was in my early 20's.

Sorry to hear about that Ian. I had a friend run down from behind by a vegetable truck in Melbourne one morning when I was in my early 20's.
    Thanks Jeff. Nearly happened to me too when I was a teenager. Walking across the bridge over Coffs Creek... a lowloader with dozer on it went past from behind. The dozer blade just... and I do mean just, cleared my shoulder and swept my hair.

I suspect it will be a growing occurrence, given the dingbats I see texting these days. Had to blow the horn at some young P plater girl the other day... texting.

Driving and riding shotgun in the council minivan, sitting high up relative to a car's height, we are often seeing people driving along with the phone going in the left hand. Sometimes their vehicle is all over, and out of, their lane. If we were equipped with fixed cameras each side we'd provide enough startling footage to take ten people off the road every week.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Driving and riding shotgun in the council minivan, sitting high up relative to a car's height, we are often seeing people driving along with the phone going in the left hand. Sometimes their vehicle is all over, and out of, their lane. If we were equipped with fixed cameras each side we'd provide enough startling footage to take ten people off the road every week.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    I guess none of us are faultless, but yeah... the mobiles thing is out of hand, particularly when it comes to texting. I've got IIRC, Jabra handsfree setups in both cars. Voice-controlled... if someone rings I can answer it with my phone in my pocket, which is where it stays when I'm driving.

... I often ride with my helmet camera on, but don't have them in the car. I might set some cameras up on the car for next week's track day.

Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

The advertising they use for hand held devices does not help. It encourages this behaviour. I try to drive as if everyone else is not looking where they are going.

On a another subject, got the hull of the club Sabre closed up yesterday, forcing small panels to confirm to the hull shape was interesting. I need some fine glass tape.

Volkswagen ran a pretty good ad about the dangers of texting while driving. Pity they lost their credibility with the emissions thing.

Quote Originally Posted by imagineero View Post
    Icarus is being given away for free. See last post here for relevant details;

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ighlight=Maica
    You were never going to be able to fix that sheer anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    Thanks. Shared to my FB too. I must admit, I've told a few drivers to shove their phones where the sun don't shine over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Volkswagen ran a pretty good ad about the dangers of texting while driving. Pity they lost their credibility with the emissions thing.
    Their credibility will restore. Others are being pinged, the latest being Harley Davidson... but it only cost them $12 million, not $15 billion for some reason.

I might set some cameras up on the car for next week's track day.
    Where is it being held Ian? I would like to see some pics.
    I've got a trackday at Pukekohe on the 10th, my first time there. The back straight will be a good test of my car's top end (and brakes!).
    I would rather have doubt than be certain and wrong.
    Richard Feynman.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Where is it being held Ian? I would like to see some pics.
    I've got a trackday at Pukekohe on the 10th, my first time there. The back straight will be a good test of my car's top end (and brakes!).
    Unfortunately, it's at Wakefield Park... far too tight a circuit for my car, but, still fun. I suspect I'll have traction problems with the tyres I've got on, but I'm not averse to a bit of sideways action. I've only done Wakefield once before... had an old Japanese gent go off in front of me and then spear back onto the track. Made life "interesting". I have to drive a different vehicle down (a 6 speed E34 "LE" BMW... V8 thing) that's being set up for Targa Tasmania. The driver is a similar size to me and the race seats are being fitted this week... and the guy doing that won't be able to drive the car once they go in (the Targa driver will meet us there).

Re Pukekohe... I photographed the last Marlboro Series race there, late '77 for REVS Motorcycle News. Got around 20 shots published.... so, I've walked plenty of it, but never driven it

Boat content... haven't heard back on the price for that kayak yet.... has anyone ever seen one of them before? Know the history of them in our military?

The advertising they use for hand held devices does not help. It encourages this behaviour. I try to drive as if everyone else is not looking where they are going.

On a another subject, got the hull of the club Sabre closed up yesterday, forcing small panels to confirm to the hull shape was interesting. I need some fine glass tape.
    Oh, you mean on the subject of Antipodean boats? The finest cloth is pretty weak - is it for strength or just to seal the seams?

Rick

Just found this. Looks similar

American Kayak used during training at the Z Special Unit base at Mount Martha in Victoria circa 1945

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Oh, you mean on the subject of Antipodean boats? The finest cloth is pretty weak - is it for strength or just to seal the seams?

Rick
    Is it a problem if people broaden their thinking beyond narrow streams?

Re cloth... there's always kevlar.

An update on my saw predicament. A triton 2000 saw bench came up for $80 so I jumped on it. It'll allow me to do nearly everything. And there is a mitre wedge you can get for it that will allow me to do those cuts when they come up, just not on large boards.

Thanks for all the advice, this will get me started on the boat at least.

The bloke selling it doesn't have a camera but states "good condition" so its a lottery, but worth the $80 to get me started. Ill post photos when Ive picked it up later in the week.

Plenty of boats have been built with those Triton benches. See if you can find the router table too.

Rick

Mine's sitting in the back yard with bike bits on it. It's sure cut a lot of fence palings for firewood over the years. IIRC, I've got some router attachment for it.

The best thing Triton ever made was the Super Jaws, although the legs rust out eventually. I need to weld some pipe legs onto mine at some stage.

Thanks. Shared to my FB too. I must admit, I've told a few drivers to shove their phones where the sun don't shine over the years.
    Also shared. I nearly got hit on a crosswalk a few weeks ago because some wanker was on his phone.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Boat content... haven't heard back on the price for that kayak yet.... has anyone ever seen one of them before? Know the history of them in our military?
    Are they the ones that went to Singapore on the Krait?
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.