Page 884 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 384784834874883884885894934984 ... LastLast
Results 30,906 to 30,940 of 47883

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I'm getting some substantial boat trailer rollers if anyone is interested.
    How substantial? Nanjera's trailer rollers are on the way out.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    The SCAMP trailer will be a simple rectangular plan form with draw bar, with side guides and twin bunks under the skegs. Basically a box trailer frame without the box, add a couple of skeg-runner bunks, and a couple of uprights for side guides.

Nanjera's trailer has a broke-back thing. We don't usually use it, but we did to get her gently off the trailer onto the lawn. The launching ramps here are plenty steep enough that we just back the trailer down until the aft of the boat is just in, release the safety chain and hitch, and let her slide down into the drink.
    I've heard mixed reports about our local ramps and would prefer not to run my trailer bearings into the water. Apparently some of our ramps drop off into deep water and running the wheels in too far can be embarrassing .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I don't know if I'll need any Gary but I may need one at least. I think I'd be best to sit JIM's keel on a carpet covered 6'' wide plank. Rollers are easy to load but will likely give hard spots that will cause damage. One at the far rear end to roll up on.

How does that sound those who know ?
    I'll get them Peter and you can decide.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Re water generators, I suppose I put this in my drone thread... but these are pico hydro generators in Laos. I've seen many different sorts of setup. I'm told that they kill a lot of locals.

Speaking of the drone... it did a controlled flight into terrain today - yeah, I deliberately crashed it. Smashed the 4K camera - although I think it's repairable. I'd flown it at home, then took it over to a mate's place, and flew it again. I couldn't get it to re-set it's home position... ie, the resulting problem was operator error... and when I flew it, it decided that it didn't have enough battery power left and it was going to fly "home".... ie, back to where I first flew it. I was losing the battle to control it, vs it's "return to home"... so I deliberately dropped it into some lower trees.

.... and, boat content. Took the boat up to the steel yard yesterday. Nothing like dropping a couple of sheets of plywood and 4 sheets of 6m x 2.4m reinforcing mesh and 17 x 6m bars of 16mm rebar on top of the boat, eh? Nice and easy to secure and carry... but not a good look.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Awlgrip and Awlcraft

Spectacular finish is not required, at least not by me. A tough one is. Coverage tip noted. There's a coat of something similar on the boat now of course and except for some new ply patches and a few lumps and bumps from old repairs. I presume the new ply will have to be prepped first (not red lead this time) and a primer. I have no idea what product was used 35 odd years ago as a top coat though it looks like epoxy, and new adheres to it OK. So what preparation of the old surface for adhesion do you think? And does either product allow 2 coats?

I'm down at Mornington tonight and will be exploring the peninsula's yacht chandlers tomorrow. I might go up to Sorrento to the Wooden Boat Centre, it's for sale I think but I might be able to get a scrap of primer, I only need enough to cover a sq ft or so.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-21-2016 at 06:46 AM.

Page Not Found Rob, but I can read the rest of the info there .
    Grateful Dead

Peter, with the heavy duty springs do you think a couple of dampers might be needed?

That looks good but I've set up for the single leaf so I'll see how it goes .
    Grateful Dead

Peter maybe that white plastic stuff instead of carpet? Is it PTFE? I think you can get an expensive blue version in marine stores. Carpet will tend to stay wet and rot I'd have thought. Having said that, I did use a tough felt underlay I found on the roadside for the bunk runners on my trailer for my little Oughtred skiff. That's been OK for over 30 years now. As for f...ing air suspension, well let's just say I once had a f.....ing Range Rover.

I was thinking of some kind of synthetic carpet Phil ? But staying wet is a consideration though the bottom of the keel is glassed. HDPE is slippery as hell but pricey too.
    Grateful Dead

I think even synthetic carpet just has some sort of natural fibre backing. Maybe not, but best check.

Will do.
    Grateful Dead

There is a 'carpet' designed for bathrooms made by Pirelli or Michelin I think. A short pile on a hard synthetic base. But I would think it's not slippery when wet by design.
    How about artificial turf?

Wouldnt marine carpet be the go? Synthetic backing too. Usually lasts for ages when wet and very durable should be slippery enough. But theres the trade off with large surface area to reduce wear, which then results in increased friction.

For the drawers in my van I've bought some long tie down straps from bunnings because the nylon is all linear it slides really well and has good wearing properties. Won't degrade with water, and is cheap as hell. We just secured it with staples on runners so deep into the strap that the staples dont contact the timber of the heavy drawers at all.

I don't know if I'll need any Gary but I may need one at least. I think I'd be best to sit JIM's keel on a carpet covered 6'' wide plank. Rollers are easy to load but will likely give hard spots that will cause damage. One at the far rear end to roll up on.

How does that sound those who know ?
    Pete, I think rollers are fine as long as you have several to spread the load, and as long as they're lined up properly, so each one takes its fair share. Aileen Louisa's trailer had six rollers under her 15' keel, all height-adjusted to a stringline, and worked fine. While the rollers took the weight of the boat itself, the hull was held vertical by carpet-covered bunks at the turn of the bilge on each side.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I'm down at Mornington tonight and will be exploring the peninsula's yacht chandlers tomorrow. I might go up to Sorrento to the Wooden Boat Centre, it's for sale I think but I might be able to get a scrap of primer, I only need enough to cover a sq ft or so.
    Jeff, my chandler of choice down that way was always Peter Tardrew at Quarterdeck Marine (The Yacht Shop) in Wells Street, Frankston. And not far from there is Marine Timbers, in Brunel Road, Seaford. (They used to be a very good business in Mulgrave, and I was considering buying them when they were for sale 15-odd years ago. They used to stock marine ply of all sorts -- including bending ply and lots of useful offcuts -- and handle Bote-Cote products as well as small chandlery items, and it seems they still do. (I even bought a lovely piece of Burma teak from them once.) But I haven't used either of these companies for over ten years now.

There also used to be a place on the north side of Main Street in Mornington, right down near the beach (Sport Phillip Marine?) who had quite a lot of good stuff, but I think they're no longer there. Worth looking for though if you're there, just in case.

ETA -- No, they've moved to 129 Mornington-Tyabb Rd apparently. But their website seems to show that they've changed their focus a bit. Still might be worth looking at on the way through.

Then of course there's the Yaringa Chandlery on your way back. They used to be (only) okay, but might have improved their lines since I was last there.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Also,

Hello, I'm a new member, me and my brother have acquired a half built welsford navigator for free on gumtree out of Sydney on my birthday last Friday. Has a beautiful red cedar transom but apparently its a prototype with the top plank left to do on the hull. The pieces it came with don't fit properly, so we'll have to sand the joint toungues to allow a bit of play when fitting so we can get the right angle. And the thicker transom will throw a few measurements out but nothing that looks too difficult.

We have only done a little bit of sailing in little lasers but loved it and have been looking for a boat ever since. We are pretty rubbish with all the lingo but are getting there with the googling.

We've got the boat in Charlestown, Newcastle at my brothers place and I'd love some advice or to see some other peoples work space and boats in the area. We are both below 30 and have no experience ship building, were pretty handy though, I'm a scientist by trade so love solving problems. Anyone know any locals who might be able to offer some pointers? I'll need to source some bronze screws and fittings soon, as well as some of the right high strength epoxy to use for assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Awlgrip and Awlcraft

Spectacular finish is not required, at least not by me. A tough one is. Coverage tip noted. There's a coat of something similar on the boat now of course and except for some new ply patches and a few lumps and bumps from old repairs. I presume the new ply will have to be prepped first (not red lead this time) and a primer. I have no idea what product was used 35 odd years ago as a top coat though it looks like epoxy, and new adheres to it OK. So what preparation of the old surface for adhesion do you think? And does either product allow 2 coats?

Awlgrip and Awlcraft are both very tough. Norglass probably is too. Jotun high-build primer is very good and sands easily. Put two coats on. Yes, you can apply multiple coats of Awlgrip and Awlcraft. Only need to sand lightly with 240 between coats if you've left it for more than a couple of days.

If you're only doing the hull of one dinghy, it's probably not worth buying either Awl product, although they do seem to last indefinitely as long as the can is sealed properly.

Rick

If you're using a high-build epoxy primer like Jotun, then the only prep you need to do is sanding it all smooth with 80-120. I think the Jotun primer is Penguard.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by MattDundon View Post
    Also,

Hello, I'm a new member, me and my brother have acquired a half built welsford navigator for free on gumtree out of Sydney on my birthday last Friday. Has a beautiful red cedar transom but apparently its a prototype with the top plank left to do on the hull. The pieces it came with don't fit properly, so we'll have to sand the joint toungues to allow a bit of play when fitting so we can get the right angle. And the thicker transom will throw a few measurements out but nothing that looks too difficult.

We have only done a little bit of sailing in little lasers but loved it and have been looking for a boat ever since. We are pretty rubbish with all the lingo but are getting there with the googling.

We've got the boat in Charlestown, Newcastle at my brothers place and I'd love some advice or to see some other peoples work space and boats in the area. We are both below 30 and have no experience ship building, were pretty handy though, I'm a scientist by trade so love solving problems. Anyone know any locals who might be able to offer some pointers? I'll need to source some bronze screws and fittings soon, as well as some of the right high strength epoxy to use for assembly.
    Hi Matt and welcome! That's a very nice project you've acquired. I'm not a boatbuilder but I have great contacts and know where to source most materials. We're renovating a place in Cooks Hill so I'm in Newcastle a lot and happy to help. Our State is run by lunatics so there's no longer any boatbuilding at Newcastle TAFE but some of the guys who used to work there are still around. I like Bote Cote epoxy, available from Boatcraft at Tanilba Bay but you can get other brands, just as good, from MW Supplies in Broadmeadow Rd. Bronze screws etc. will need to be ordered online. We can help with that. Contact me by Private Message and I'll give you my contact info.

Rick

Welcome Matt, if you back a page or three you'll see we were all wondering about that Navigator. Good score, happy birthday.

Was it Suzy was building one of these in Geraldton? What happened to that project?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by MattDundon View Post
    Also,

Welcome Matt, you will get plenty of advice here but we will expect photos of progress...as they say, no photo it didn't happen.

G'day Matt and welcome. Glad to see that Navigator in your good hands. There will be plenty of advice from this lot

Rick, Suzyj was the Nav builder in Gerro. She went quiet a while back, around the end of last year. Nothing on her blog lately to do with boats.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Welcome aboard Matt.
    Sport Philip Marine is still in Mornington and they had all I needed and some advice. Jotun primer, Awlcraft and some grainy decking paint for inside the cockpit. Took a trip down to the Wooden Boatshop in Sorrento, bought some stuff there too. A few fittings and SS screws for the bits box, bulk catalyst and FG cloth.
    It's amazing how quickly you can spend a few hundred dollars at a chandlers.

Hi Matt, welcome ! The designer of your boat, John Welsford posts on this forum and is extremely approachable and will give you very good advice regarding finishing your Navigator. I'd suggest contacting him.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    Pete, I think rollers are fine as long as you have several to spread the load, and as long as they're lined up properly, so each one takes its fair share. Aileen Louisa's trailer had six rollers under her 15' keel, all height-adjusted to a stringline, and worked fine. While the rollers took the weight of the boat itself, the hull was held vertical by carpet-covered bunks at the turn of the bilge on each side.

This is how I did the Pathfinder trailer. The carpet was some sort of totally synthetic outdoor stuff that I think I got at Bunnings.
    I had to faff around a bit with the bunks - they needed to slope down toward the back to allow for the skeg tapering down, and the belly of the rocker conspiring to effectively lower the boat onto the bunks as it moved back along the trailer.
    I didn't have the adjustable mounts like this has, so it was a bit of a fustercluck requiring an angle grinder and welder to fix.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post

Mike
    Mike thank you, that is very interesting and useful! I think I'll go with it. JIM is lighter than Aileen Louisa I'd say so I should be OK. It would certainly make loading and launching far, far easier.

Gary , I think I'll put my hand up for any rollers you can spare .
    Grateful Dead

Mike thank you, that is very interesting and useful! I think I'll go with it. JIM is lighter than Aileen Louisa I'd say so I should be OK. It would certainly make loading and launching far, far easier.

Dare I say, I've got rollers coming out my ears....

There's several missing there, to allow a few sheets of ply on. The centre rollers are for the Yellowtail, the outers are for the Markham Whaler catamaran. The trailer is also setup for a second axle, which is braked. The T post has two positions... one for each boat. I haven't built the ramps yet, but the trailer is also able to handle my track car - the turbo Beetle.

The blue plastic stuff there is for the cat setup. I got it from either Bias Boating or Whitworths. The centre guides come out by loosening a couple of bolts.... and there's some other posts that go in to hold the Yellowtail. They have some Spotted Gum bunks that I can adjust up to the boat.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Nicely set up Ian, very flexible.
    Grateful Dead

A while ago I posted some photos of a nice old H28 around here. It's at Tanilba Bay now and advertised for sale on Gumtree. It seems a good boat and has a new engine. I have met the guy but have no interest in this sale - just letting people know I saw the ad.

Rick

Grateful Dead

$22500 is cheap price for that I reckon, but that's just me.

That looks a lot like Jennifer Ruth, the Qld trawler I spent a Gulf Season on, a good boat but she had a Rolls Royce diesel IIRC.
    Grateful Dead

$22500 is cheap price for that I reckon, but that's just me.

That looks a lot like Jennifer Ruth, the Qld trawler I spent a Gulf Season on, a good boat but she had a Rolls Royce diesel IIRC.
    That is one nice looking trawler Rob. All you need is a nice big steadying sail ,some extra 45 gallon fuel drums, and don't forget the ice for all the fish you will be catching heading back home.

Peter this is what they look like.

Thanks Gary..... I don't think I can use them as the main under keel support. They would bear right in the middle of my garboard planks and they are quite wide and only 9mm thick. I think there would be too much point load and I'd have a good chance of punching holes if I hit a big bump.

I think I'll buy 6 or so of these for the keel to run on and use yours to support JIM while launching or loading with solid bunk boards to support when travelling .

So thank you !!

Grateful Dead