Page 884 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 3847848348748838848858949349841384 ... LastLast
Results 30,906 to 30,940 of 48986

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I tried to get trained as an underwater cutter and welder around 1973, I couldn't organise it ..... fortunately.
    Yes, underwater commercial work is pretty tricky or deadly boring, I think. I knew a guy who worked on oil rigs. He told me that there's a limit to the total number of hours you're allowed to accumulate at those depths. They go down and stay in submarine housings for days, apparently, but once you've accumulated 1000 hours or whatever it is 5000? 20000? then that's it, you're never allowed to undertake that work again.

Rick

It was Weipa, muddy water and the possibility of crocs wasn't reassuring .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I've met some guys who do that sort of diving, up in Chiang Mai - the stay down for a month stuff. A lot of the guys doing that sort of thing, plus rov's, security on ships, etc... base out of there. One guy I rode with in Cambodia did a plane crash recovery off Taiwan IIRC.

Re clear water to dive on... this one would be fabulous.... but you would need to get special permission. No swimming or fishing upstream of the bridge, which is on the right of this shot... and the water is amazingly clear... and a stunning colour. I seem to recall that it's over 60 metres deep.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I looked up the Adrenalin site and couldn't find any radiators. But I found these Thermo things that might be pretty good http://adrenalinwetsuits.com/2P-Ther...-products.html

I trained in sinkhole and cavern diving too and did a couple of trips to the sinkholes around Mt Gambier. Picaninnie Ponds is very beautiful, the Shaft is amazing - lucky to do that one a couple of times, Kilsby's is also beautiful. We also did a dive in Hell's Hole. It's not much of a dive but you need to climb down about 30m to get to the water and then back up again, which makes it pretty exciting. I intended to go on and qualify for cave diving but Vietnam work came along and I couldn't complete the course. That was to do a Nullarbor trip. Now I think I'm pretty content to stick with open water diving as photography's my main interest and most of the stuff I photograph is in fairly shallow water. I certainly have no interest in mixing gases etc. and wrecks don't interest me much.

Ewen Ponds gets pretty much ignored by serious divers but it's my favourite site around Gambier. It's shallow but really spectacular for photographs. I'd actually really like to find other fresh water spots with super clear water so if anyone knows of any? I think there's a stream somewhere in NZ that flows out of the ground - I reckon that would be great for photographs.

Rick
    Waitomo Caves NZ might be the place you are referring to. From memory a large volume of the water that flows quickly.

I think Adrenaline and Radiator are two different brands. Both look good. Thanks.

So far the roof repairs look ok, no leaks. One adjustment will be needed after the rain stops, next week.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

A friend near Nelson had a sinkhole on his property, It was in a cave, just a slit in the floor wide enough to slide into but underneath a bell shaped chamber. But totally dark. Went in once with all the safety stuff and lights. At the time I was too busy being careful to be scared, but it gives me the shudders now. I don't think there were any enforced regulations or permit system then. He had a windmill pump on it and limitless water.
    Actually the scariest dive I ever did was my first 'night' dive. Done with a blackout mask in broad daylight in about 10ft of water with a flat sandy bottom. I had to navigate between a group of markers on the bottom. Didn't pass first time.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 07-09-2016 at 04:39 PM.

I looked up the Adrenalin site and couldn't find any radiators. But I found these Thermo things that might be pretty good http://adrenalinwetsuits.com/2P-Ther...-products.html

I trained in sinkhole and cavern diving too and did a couple of trips to the sinkholes around Mt Gambier. Picaninnie Ponds is very beautiful, the Shaft is amazing - lucky to do that one a couple of times, Kilsby's is also beautiful. We also did a dive in Hell's Hole. It's not much of a dive but you need to climb down about 30m to get to the water and then back up again, which makes it pretty exciting. I intended to go on and qualify for cave diving but Vietnam work came along and I couldn't complete the course. That was to do a Nullarbor trip. Now I think I'm pretty content to stick with open water diving as photography's my main interest and most of the stuff I photograph is in fairly shallow water. I certainly have no interest in mixing gases etc. and wrecks don't interest me much.

Ewen Ponds gets pretty much ignored by serious divers but it's my favourite site around Gambier. It's shallow but really spectacular for photographs. I'd actually really like to find other fresh water spots with super clear water so if anyone knows of any? I think there's a stream somewhere in NZ that flows out of the ground - I reckon that would be great for photographs.

Rick
    Pupu Springs, about 1 1/2 hours from Nelson?
    http://www.newzealand.com/my/article...opupu-springs/
    Only catch is that swimming/diving is strictly verboten, to preserve the clarity of the water. It is a beautiful spot.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Yes, boats are warned to avoid them. One of the biggest risks at sea is breaking waves. Waves are potentially steeper around reefs and even quite deep seamounts, due to change in depth and current, so the likelihood of them breaking is higher. There's a well known one a hundred miles or so SW (I think) of Lord Howe and another that I know of off the East coast of Victoria, called the Star Bank, I think.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I'd missed this post.
    Grateful Dead

Rick there is a huge cave in PNG somewhere, maybe between Moresby and Lai, but I'm not at all sure. Watched a movie made in and about the cave once on a flight back to Aus. The diving looked spectacular. But cave diving and parachuting, those are two things not on any of my to do lists!

Bruce, well done with the baby Merc, nice to get a result!​

I could parachute or sky dive , but caves , especially caves full of water ..... no thank you .
    Grateful Dead

Cave diving isn't dangerous as long as you're conscientious about the protocols. Like flying or rock climbing. In sailing, problems rarely occur so safety protocols are sort of optional. In cave diving, they're not.

Where's that blue hole Ian?

Nelson NZ Jeff?

Rick

Cave diving isn't dangerous as long as you're conscientious about the protocols. Like flying or rock climbing. In sailing, problems rarely occur so safety protocols are sort of optional. In cave diving, they're not.

Rick
    Lets just say I know some of my shortcomings! I don't mind hoisting a spinnaker I've packed, but no way I'm going to jump out of an airplane with a parachute I've packed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Lets just say I know some of my shortcomings! I don't mind hoisting a spinnaker I've packed, but no way I'm going to jump out of an airplane with a parachute I've packed.
    I can understand people jumping out of aeroplanes that are going to crash. Otherwise, no.

Rick

I can understand people jumping out of aeroplanes that are going to crash. Otherwise, no.

Rick
    Did it once, with a bunch of airforce mates. We sort of talked ourselves into giving it a go, over a few beers - very hard to back out of at the tender age of nineteen!
    Out of the five of us who actually jumped, only one went on to do any more. Actually, I found bungee jumping much harder to do - the ground is only 50m away, instead of 1000. Only ever done one of those, too.

Pete

The blue hole is Kuhn Kong Leng Lake (Blue Lagoon) in Khammouane Province, Laos. It is about 50 km from Thakhaek. The blue water continues downstream in the creek for some distance. The lagoon is where it emerges though. The surrounding area is quite interesting too. Best view of the lake is the last minute or so of this

As for parachuting... I've only done it once. I jumped from 8,500' over, or more correctly, adjacent to Great Keppel Island.... ie from a lot higher than this photo was taken from.

The island looked about the size of a small dinner plate from the up there. We landed on the beach near the airstrip.

It's an amazing experience. I'd recommend it. Cost me about $360, 20 years ago... about double the cost of a mainland jump at the time. My weight, which is now somewhat more significant, was a problem at the time. The limit was 90kg for a tandem... and I was 105 kg. I believe we damaged the harness somewhat. My other half for the jump was somewhat ashen faced after the jump and wouldn't talk about it.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I used to fly gliders, a long time ago. We wore parachutes in races. Someone suggested we should go skydiving, just to practice, in case we ever needed to use a parachute in an emergency. The consesus was, why would anyone ever jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane? Anyway, next year a two glider collision happened. One landed a damaged glider ok. One pilot jumped out, and somehow, without having done skydiving practice, managed to get out and open the chute and survive. So no, we never did give it a go. Makes my toes curl up thinking about it.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

The PNG cave diving movie I referred to above was Sanctum. Google tells me it was mostly filmed in studios on the Gold Coast, with some genuine footage from caves around Mt Gambier. In a sad case of life imitating art one of the stunt divers in the movie later died while cave diving, executing an almost exact repeat of the film scene where her character died.

I only know of one death in cave diving in a long time in Australia. It might have been the woman you mention. She was a highly regarded member of the CDA (Cave Diving Association). She died doing cave mapping, a long way in and alone. I'm not sure they ever worked out how it happened.

There are plenty of horror stories from the days when anyone could just jump into a sinkhole or cave but it's highly regulated in Australia now.

There's a very good book about an Australian who died doing body recovery at ridiculous depth in a sinkhole in South Africa - I have it somewhere but I don't recall the name.

The closest call I've had diving was during a regular dive, at reasonable depth, open water, no danger except my slack attitude.

The best thing about diving, for me, is that you can get right up close to wildlife. You just can't do that anywhere else except Antarctica, as far as I know. Deep caves don't interest me much as there's pretty much nothing living there.

Rick

Agnes Milowka. Died 27 Feb 2011.

I recall seeing a doco on cave diving, in Oz, that included the death of a diver and recovering the body. Nullabor, IIRC.

As for jumping... it wasn't easy getting out of the plane with some little fella strapped to my back - we got stuck trying to get out the door - I recall having to grab my knee and reef my leg out... drawing blood in the process. The acceleration and noise are incredible btw and then BANG... and silence.... just drifting slowly down. We steered through one small cloud, then aimed for the beach. We could see rays and turtles in the water below us. Wonderful stuff.

Yes, that's her. I was at a dinner she attended once but I didn't meet her. She died in Tank Cave which is a massive network of flooded passages near Gambier. I've been in there but only a short way in. To explore Tank Cave you have to be Penetration Cave Dive qualified, which is the top level of CDA qualification. Apparently she got lost, which, to be honest, is pretty unforgiveable as she should have laid guidelines as she progressed. Probably the old story - when you do things too often, you get too familiar and a bit slack.

I nearly always dive alone. Sounds dangerous but it isn't really. I wouldn't do it in a cave or a wreck, though. The reason I dive alone is that I only really dive to take photos and that usually involves planting myself somewhere and waiting for things to come along. Who'd want to accompany anyone doing that? I don't like diving with others as I feel rushed to move on and too many divers stuff up the visibility by flapping around.

Rick

A junk rig and pussycat story from kiwiland: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/new...ectid=11671871

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Did it once, with a bunch of airforce mates. We sort of talked ourselves into giving it a go, over a few beers - very hard to back out of at the tender age of nineteen!
    Out of the five of us who actually jumped, only one went on to do any more. Actually, I found bungee jumping much harder to do - the ground is only 50m away, instead of 1000. Only ever done one of those, too.

Pete
    Yep, I could skydive but bungee jumping is a'' not going to happen'' thing.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I recall seeing a doco on cave diving, in Oz, that included the death of a diver and recovering the body. Nullabor, IIRC.

As for jumping... it wasn't easy getting out of the plane with some little fella strapped to my back - we got stuck trying to get out the door - I recall having to grab my knee and reef my leg out... drawing blood in the process. The acceleration and noise are incredible btw and then BANG... and silence.... just drifting slowly down. We steered through one small cloud, then aimed for the beach. We could see rays and turtles in the water below us. Wonderful stuff.
    Not the Nullarbor, I'd say. There are enormous passages there and some very challenging dive sites but I don't think there've been any cave diving deaths in Australia apart from The Shaft, Tank Cave, Death Cave, Picaninnie Ponds and Kilsby's. They're all near Mt Gambier.

Great cat!

Rick

The best thing about diving, for me, is that you can get right up close to wildlife. You just can't do that anywhere else except Antarctica, as far as I know. Deep caves don't interest me much as there's pretty much nothing living there.

Rick
    Kangaroo Island. You can get right up close to a lot of the wildlife, especially snakes. Great big black venomous critters. And the possums. They'll come inside your holiday house and crap all over everything and try to mug you for food. Lots of other animals as well. We were staing inside a park once, and just after the park was closed and the rest of the tourists had left, a whole horde of creatures just stood upright where they were, basically everywhere, and nobody had been any the wiser that they had been there except us. Cheeky. Kangaroos, wallabies, sundry other hopping things, echidna - you name it, they were there, and we could get right up close.
    Paperback E-book

This is not something you want to see when you step onboard.

All fixed now though and they won't come undone again, unless I want them undone.
    Glorious little sail this morning. I sailed up river to Fingal and mucked about there for an hour or two, just putting her through all points of the wind. I do like my boat.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Not a bad breeze today there were a few good puffs in it.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Kangaroo Island. You can get right up close to a lot of the wildlife, especially snakes. Great big black venomous critters. And the possums. They'll come inside your holiday house and crap all over everything and try to mug you for food. Lots of other animals as well. We were staing inside a park once, and just after the park was closed and the rest of the tourists had left, a whole horde of creatures just stood upright where they were, basically everywhere, and nobody had been any the wiser that they had been there except us. Cheeky. Kangaroos, wallabies, sundry other hopping things, echidna - you name it, they were there, and we could get right up close.
    Well, okay, we have possums in and around our house, snakes, frogs, echidnas, koalas in our yard but, generally speaking, there's a lot more underwater. ....

Rick

Well, okay, we have possums in and around our house, snakes, frogs, echidnas, koalas in our yard but, generally speaking, there's a lot more underwater. ....

Rick
    You have submarine koalas up your way? I really should have stopped in for a look

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Not a bad breeze today there were a few good puffs in it.
    Imagine how fast she'd go with the lazy jacks eased off a bit!
    Mind you, I never noticed any difference with the Pathfinder, with the sprit boom putting a dirty big crease across the main on one tack, but not the other.

Pete

I always carry a bit of copper locking wire to save that happening. Although sometimes, as in your case, you have to drill a hole through the damn' pin first.
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

All fixed now though and they won't come undone again, unless I want them undone.
    Glorious little sail this morning. I sailed up river to Fingal and mucked about there for an hour or two, just putting her through all points of the wind. I do like my boat.

An old racing trick, particularly if someone was just under you but you couldn't get past far enough to pinch their wind - flick a shackle pin or busted shackle up at the main to fall onto the deck or into the cockpit............
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    An old racing trick, particularly if someone was just under you but you couldn't get past far enough to pinch their wind - flick a shackle pin or busted shackle up at the main to fall onto the deck or into the cockpit............
    Oh what a wicked idea.
    I once heard a trick used during a rowing race was to fasten an empty tin can facing forward under the competitions boat.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Imagine how fast she'd go with the lazy jacks eased off a bit!
    Mind you, I never noticed any difference with the Pathfinder, with the sprit boom putting a dirty big crease across the main on one tack, but not the other.

Pete
    Running lazy jacks are not a bad idea and I did notice today that the windward lazyjack was stopping the bottom panel from setting properly...something was anyway.

WB Hatch cover nearing completion. The almost square 600 x 720 mm layout represents my proposed skylight, I am hoping for feedback on the size ,which is predetermined by the beam spacing of 680 mm .

[IMG][/IMG]