Page 883 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 383783833873882883884893933983 ... LastLast
Results 30,871 to 30,905 of 47911

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I like the concept though. I was watching one of Dylan Winters videos today and there was a boat that looked like it had a wind generator with a cevonus rotor. A cevonus rotor would make much more sense to me than a bunch of vulnerable spinning blades. It would also mean it could be fitted to quite small craft such as mine. I have an 80 watt PV which works just fine but it's rare it gets full sun with out any shadow from lines etc.
    But do you need full sun? I'm sure it chugs away pushing little electrons into your battery all day long. That little water generator toy is only going to recharge a couple of phones after 4 hours in a steady stream. 3 fifths of bugger all.

Some very good light weight charging solutions here. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=9258
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

On a bike space and weight is at a serious premium. On a boat, even a small one, it's so easy to find a few square feet for a solar panel. It's just not complicated. Go to eBay and choose a size. If you need curved, get a flexible panel. The days of wind generators, towed generators, diesel generators and generators running off your prop shaft are pretty much gone.

There's a bit of seismic activity NE of Bowen going on.
    http://www.ga.gov.au/earthquakes/rec...alse&x=25&y=13
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    But do you need full sun? I'm sure it chugs away pushing little electrons into your battery all day long. That little water generator toy is only going to recharge a couple of phones after 4 hours in a steady stream. 3 fifths of bugger all.
    I'm happy with my panel. I just thought the towed generator was a good idea. I have a creek quite close to my house and I could envisage something like that being deployed when the creek is flowing well. I'm not going to buy one, I just thought it a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I'm happy with my panel. I just thought the towed generator was a good idea. I have a creek quite close to my house and I could envisage something like that being deployed when the creek is flowing well. I'm not going to buy one, I just thought it a good idea.
    My younger brother had a house on the edge of the Daintree for a while. It had a permanent flowing creek, and when he bought the place it came with its own hydro power generation plant. You use what's best available.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

My neighbour built a Banki turbine that produced 5 kw 24 hours a day. Neat and reliable.
    Grateful Dead

I like the idea of a little turbine in a creek that flows all the time, I mean what's not to like?

Pelton wheel generators used to be common in Vic. bur were compulsorily destroyed when the SEC was established and grid power became available. I've seen the dismantled plant in a few old farm sheds in the NE. One way flows I think. One had been powered by a big ram in a river to lift water to a dam and then through the plant. The river was a bit too wild for the wheel to survive in.

Re the Club boat, most of the paint off, a few small rot spots found round old fasteners and a split in the rub rail at the stern. It's had a big bump somewhere along the line. Maybe fell off a trailer judging by old damage I have uncovered..
    Any advice on the best 2 pot epoxy paint for the hull? I took the boat of the hoist and it's upside down now and with a couple of warmer days next week I could get the exterior started.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-20-2016 at 09:36 PM.

I had a friend in the hinterland behind Eden who had a hydraulic ram in a gorge in the creek away from the house to pump fresh water into storage. I've always thought that using water to actually pump itself was a great idea.

Unfortunately, floods damaged the installation twice, and after that it wasn't replaced.
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Pelton wheel generators used to be common in Vic. bur were compulsorily destroyed when the SEC was established and grid power became available. I've seen the dismantled plant in a few old farm sheds in the NE. One way flows I think. One had been powered by a big ram in a river to lift water to a dam and then through the plant. The river was a bit too wild for the wheel to survive in.

Re the Club boat, most of the paint off, a few small rot spots found round old fasteners and a split in the rub rail at the stern. It's had a big bump somewhere along the line. Maybe fell off a trailer judging by old damage I have uncovered..
    Any advice on the best 2 pot epoxy paint for the hull? I took the boat of the hoist and it's upside down now and with a couple of warmer days next week I could get the exterior started.
    What an excellent solution if the river has sufficient fall but isn't a good place to put a turbine.
    Grateful Dead

I met a Pom in WA who built his own little water pumping water wheel from the ends of a couple of industrial dryers. The pump was made from PVC conduit and a tap washer on the end of a length of dowel. Pumped 100 gallons a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    I had a friend in the hinterland behind Eden who had a hydraulic ram in a gorge in the creek away from the house to pump fresh water into storage. I've always thought that using water to actually pump itself was a great idea.

Unfortunately, floods damaged the installation twice, and after that it wasn't replaced.
    Those things are virtually indestructible. I wanted one but we don't have enough head on our creek to run one. Besides I found it easier to gravity feed from a spring fed dam.

Back in sunny, dry Darwin - 32C
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

A bit more welding on the trailer today ....I'm a very slow steel worker !
    Grateful Dead

Hmm, what did I say just the other day, possibly on another thread, about small scale power generatin being made uneconomic by regulation?

I would use an epoxy paint as a high build undercoat but I don't know of any epoxy finish coat. Awlgrip is the best 2-pack poly but it's expensive and unforgiving if the surface isn't fair and if you get runs. The single or 2-pack Norglass paints are very good. You can achieve a brushed finish with Awlgrip that looks like a sprayed finish. Awlcraft is another option - expensive like Awlgrip but you can polish it to a great finish. You can't polish Awlgrip.

Although Awlgrip is expensive to buy, it goes an incredibly long way as it's applied very thinly and is very opaque. A 1 litre pack of Awlgrip will cover the topsides of a 40' boat - quite amazing.

Rick

Rock that's good information. Which is best in terms of ability to do a small repair without it standing out horribly?

Err that was Rick, not Rock. But whatever.

Rock that's good information. Which is best in terms of ability to do a small repair without it standing out horribly?
    Awlcraft is better than Awlgrip for touching up as you can polish it to fair it in. Awlcraft is designed for spraying and some say it can't be brushed or rolled on. But it brushes or rolls on well. It's also not generally for sale to the public but you can get a local boatyard or someone 'professional' to order it in for you. With Awlgrip, as long as the surface is fair, you keep a wet edge and you don't get runs, you get a spectacular finish. It's not as easy to achieve a spectacular finish rolling and tipping Awlcraft but you can get there by polishing. Both finishes last a very long time.

Rick

Err that was Rick, not Rock. But whatever.
    That Rick's a rock.

Mostly in the head.

Rock

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Yeah well it's not like the boat is finished eh?

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Awlcraft is better than Awlgrip for touching up as you can polish it to fair it in. Awlcraft is designed for spraying and some say it can't be brushed or rolled on. But it brushes or rolls on well. It's also not generally for sale to the public but you can get a local boatyard or someone 'professional' to order it in for you. With Awlgrip, as long as the surface is fair, you keep a wet edge and you don't get runs, you get a spectacular finish. It's not as easy to achieve a spectacular finish rolling and tipping Awlcraft but you can get there by polishing. Both finishes last a very long time.

Rick
    Hmmm, sounds like awl grip is good, but don't hit the dock.

No rush, just move forward as you feel like it. I must say, that trailer construction looks very good indeed. I'm more than a little bit envious.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 08-21-2016 at 04:37 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Boat.

We are now working on Nanjera's trailer. The springs are both cactus and we have replacements ordered, and while we wait I've tried a bit of chemical and physical persuasion to get the bolts undone. Tomorrow we will resort to brute force. In the meantime, there is a sort of wooden plank walkway thing that runs down the trailer for the keeping dry of feet while launching and retrieving, and it shall be re-varnished between rain showers this week. The springs are due around Thursday so we are hoping to commit nautication next weekend.

Things like the trailer are interesting projects, a simple design , just trying to get the weight distribution right. The welding is something I can do.
    Grateful Dead

Things like the trailer are interesting projects, a simple design , just trying to get the weight distribution right. The welding is something I can do.
    What are you like at SCAMP trailers?

It would be very much like a short JIM trailer ? I'm making this one a tilt (breakback) trailer so I can put her in without running too far back into the water.
    Grateful Dead

I wonder what suspension system he used ?
    Grateful Dead

I'm getting some substantial boat trailer rollers if anyone is interested.

I don't know if I'll need any Gary but I may need one at least. I think I'd be best to sit JIM's keel on a carpet covered 6'' wide plank. Rollers are easy to load but will likely give hard spots that will cause damage. One at the far rear end to roll up on.

How does that sound those who know ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    A few months ago I was corresponding with a bloke who had made a trailer with a simple air suspension.
    It was not only good for the boat , the boat could be lowered in to the water.
    Unfortunately , the designer got very sick , and someone else was going to take over manufacture of it.
    I'll see if I can find it.
    Rob J.
    The air suspension Rob.
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Rob.
    Grateful Dead

It would be very much like a short JIM trailer ? I'm making this one a tilt (breakback) trailer so I can put her in without running too far back into the water.
    The SCAMP trailer will be a simple rectangular plan form with draw bar, with side guides and twin bunks under the skegs. Basically a box trailer frame without the box, add a couple of skeg-runner bunks, and a couple of uprights for side guides.

Nanjera's trailer has a broke-back thing. We don't usually use it, but we did to get her gently off the trailer onto the lawn. The launching ramps here are plenty steep enough that we just back the trailer down until the aft of the boat is just in, release the safety chain and hitch, and let her slide down into the drink.

I've just got one heavy single leaf per side. I'll see how it goes ..... I really have very little idea but I hope it works .
    Grateful Dead