Page 883 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 3837838338738828838848939339831383 ... LastLast
Results 30,871 to 30,905 of 48971

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Mitziel View Post
    I wear a stinger suit at the front and back ends of the dinghy season when it gets a bit nippy; maybe a spring suit is similar? It'd keep u warm. Agree dunno what it'd be like paddling but much more comfortable than a wetsuit.
    Spring suit is a light material wetsuit to knees and elbows. I generally don't feel the cold much, the sea hasn't been cold here for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    Ah yes. Frank Muir on 'My Word!', running for decades from the mid-50s.

A wonderful show, much better than the following 'My Music!' in my view.
    My word, you are older than I thought. Wonderful program.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    You can't have your kayak and heat it too.
    I like that - a lot!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I like that - a lot!

Rick
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I like that - a lot!

Rick
    I was amazed you didn't beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    I was amazed you didn't beat me to it.
    He's slowing down.

The wet is not far off now. There's lots of rain showing on the radar. The roof leak repairs are done enough for a live test, with some additional brackets to be added. Now huddled in the living room with a slow combustion stove chockas with red gum coals, glass of red in hand, dinner in the oven and dog-biter cat contentedly soaking up all surplus warmth. Not sure how I could possible have been thinking about kayaking. Perhaps when the sun returns...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Glass of red instead of the suggested hot drink. Nice move.

Can someone explain to me the point of having cake if you can't eat it?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Not me. I don't eat cake.

Did you have much rain down that way Phil?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Mitziel View Post
    Not me. I don't eat cake.
    On the Franklin-Adelaide trip we had seemingly inexhaustible supplies of cake. Not sure what we would have substituted in for a non-eater of cake, but I'm sure we would have come up with something equally as nourishing, tasty and abundant.

I'm about to rekindle some memories of that trip. I have my sea boots and other wet weather geat to hand to go out in the wet and inspect the roof plumbing. It's something that unfortunately for me must be done.

Ignore the wind arrows in the screen shot below. The red bits are heading for the GPS symbol.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Not yet today Peter, but as Bruce says, it's on the way. But the last week or two have been ridiculously wet. I think one day was the wettest we've had since Allah was a boy. A few buckets we've left outside are about 10 inches deep.

An interesting page about Easr Coast seamounts ..... I wonder if anyone has heard of surprisingly big waves suddenly appearing above these ? I think I doo remember one story in Cruising Helmsman .

http://www.deepreef.org/projects/149-seamounts.html
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...k0oKqzNSv-DJdo
    Grateful Dead

Looks like you'd better take SCUBA gear Bruce.

Not yet today Peter, but as Bruce says, it's on the way. But the last week or two have been ridiculously wet. I think one day was the wettest we've had since Allah was a boy. A few buckets we've left outside are about 10 inches deep.
    Good news !
    Grateful Dead

Looks like you'd better take SCUBA gear Bruce.
    Never tried SCUBA. Did try hooker once (ok Rick, free shot, go for it) but my tiny brain wouldn't let me get into breathing under water at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Spring suit is a light material wetsuit to knees and elbows. I generally don't feel the cold much, the sea hasn't been cold here for a few years now.

Paperback E-book

I've done a couple of resort scuba dives, didn't mind it, but not excited by it. I'd like a Hookah for getting under Balia from time to time. Be handy if we hooked up a cray pot, or even a bit of kelp, just for example.

I did a SCUBA course once and was very proud of myself , I ran out of air at 80 feet down on the course and carefully recalled the instructions on the subject so followed my bubbles up to the surface .....successfully.
    Grateful Dead

I've done a couple of resort scuba dives, didn't mind it, but not excited by it. I'd like a Hookah for getting under Balia from time to time. Be handy if we hooked up a cray pot, or even a bit of kelp, just for example.
    It's inevitable that Balia will become properly entangled in one or both of those. We should go sailing and try our luck. Not tonight!

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I did a SCUBA course once and was very proud of myself , I ran out of air at 80 feet down on the course and carefully recalled the instructions on the subject so followed my bubbles up to the surface .....successfully.
    A fine effort!

Paperback E-book

While I wait for the impending storm I'm happily able to report that Sheila's car, an old Benz A160, is still running after the repairs. It's a very pleasant town car to drive, in a shopping cart kinda way. Cross between a go-kart, a shopping trolley and a Mexican Benz. The clutchless manual shift still does my head in. The fact it hardly uses any fuel makes up for that. Also, the fact I bought it at a low cost, even including repairs, makes me happily ignore the body dings from others braille parking at the shopping centre.

Paperback E-book

Sailing tomorrow. Someone bumped my building a JR sail and I've been reading some of it. Now that I've had it for around four years I think I will update it a bit. ..answer a few of the questions I couldn't really answer back then.

''braille parking'', I like that !
    Grateful Dead

Glass of red instead of the suggested hot drink. Nice move.

You can eat it, but then you can't have it.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

''braille parking'', I like that !
    Perhaps the scariest thing ever written in braille: "DANGER, DO NOT TOUCH"
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

The impending rain forecast has been upgraded to a severe weather warning, with damaging winds forecast for this area in the daylight hours tomorrow morning. Wind strength around 30 knots, gusts to 45 plus. Might sleep in wet weather gear tonight, just like a night watch night on Balia.

Paperback E-book

Bump ?

Quote Originally Posted by petersibley View Post
    an interesting page about easr coast seamounts ..... I wonder if anyone has heard of surprisingly big waves suddenly appearing above these ? I think i do remember one story in cruising helmsman .

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...k0okqznsv-djdo
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    The impending rain forecast has been upgraded to a severe weather warning, with damaging winds forecast for this area in the daylight hours tomorrow morning. Wind strength around 30 knots, gusts to 45 plus. Might sleep in wet weather gear tonight, just like a night watch night on Balia.

The radar looked impressive.

Bump ?
    I thought they were seamounts? Bigger than bump and more than one.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I love diving and I've done a lot of it. I also ran out of air at depth once - about 35m and it's possible that the training saved my life then. I've never heard of anyone running out on an actual course though! The instructor would never be re-employed if anyone found out!

I tried the hookah earlier this year and found it pretty good. The air is very low pressure though so there is a bit more effort in breathing, especially once you get down to about 10m, which is about as far as you can go on a hookah. I'd get one for the boat but they're pretty expensive at around $1500 - $2000. You have a lot more freedom of movement with a tank but the hookah has the big advantage of being available without having to refill tanks. Tanks weigh a lot too but with a hookah in cold water, you'd need a lot of weight to compensate for a diving wetsuit or drysuit.

By the way, I was talking to a brother-in-law today who does a lot of paddling on one of these narrow, fast sit-on-top kayak/ski things. He suggested looking at the Adrenalin wetsuits website, specifically something called a Radiator. I haven't checked it out yet but it ought to be worth a look - not that I can see how you'd get a radiator to work underwater.

Rick

Bump ?
    Yes, boats are warned to avoid them. One of the biggest risks at sea is breaking waves. Waves are potentially steeper around reefs and even quite deep seamounts, due to change in depth and current, so the likelihood of them breaking is higher. There's a well known one a hundred miles or so SW (I think) of Lord Howe and another that I know of off the East coast of Victoria, called the Star Bank, I think.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    I thought they were seamounts? Bigger than bump and more than one.
    They're very big and should raise very violent waves above them in an kind of a sea. Any stories ?

Last edited by PeterSibley; 07-09-2016 at 07:26 AM.
    Grateful Dead

I was a qualified diver once upon a time. Did some salvage work, moorings, surveys and some cave diving in SA (Piccaninnie Ponds) and on the Nullabor and off the West Aussie coast surveying a wreck or two. Considering the dive tables were so way of beam I was lucky to go OS and didn't go back to it. Nitrogen bubbles in the joints etc. A few of the fellers I learnt with died doing it.

I tried to get trained as an underwater cutter and welder around 1973, I couldn't organise it ..... fortunately.
    Grateful Dead

I looked up the Adrenalin site and couldn't find any radiators. But I found these Thermo things that might be pretty good http://adrenalinwetsuits.com/2P-Ther...-products.html

I trained in sinkhole and cavern diving too and did a couple of trips to the sinkholes around Mt Gambier. Picaninnie Ponds is very beautiful, the Shaft is amazing - lucky to do that one a couple of times, Kilsby's is also beautiful. We also did a dive in Hell's Hole. It's not much of a dive but you need to climb down about 30m to get to the water and then back up again, which makes it pretty exciting. I intended to go on and qualify for cave diving but Vietnam work came along and I couldn't complete the course. That was to do a Nullarbor trip. Now I think I'm pretty content to stick with open water diving as photography's my main interest and most of the stuff I photograph is in fairly shallow water. I certainly have no interest in mixing gases etc. and wrecks don't interest me much.

Ewen Ponds gets pretty much ignored by serious divers but it's my favourite site around Gambier. It's shallow but really spectacular for photographs. I'd actually really like to find other fresh water spots with super clear water so if anyone knows of any? I think there's a stream somewhere in NZ that flows out of the ground - I reckon that would be great for photographs.

Rick