Page 877 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 3777778278678768778788879279771377 ... LastLast
Results 30,661 to 30,695 of 48357

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Just put up a couple more Kombi bits for sale.
    I've been using some of the money to tip Dylan Winter for downloading his videos. I've got about 9 Gbs to watch over the weekend while I'm on Redwing.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Framing for the outboard battery box. This will hold the battery and plastic box in place under the Port side settee.

Only took me a year to work out how I was going to do it.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Are those strips of rubber? Not someones attempt at stopping erosion?
    Not according to Forestry NSW

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Not according to Forestry NSW
    Seems an odd way to trip up a bike though. Looks more like a barrier than a booby trap.

Cold and wet down your way Bruce ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Seems an odd way to trip up a bike though. Looks more like a barrier than a booby trap.
    I don't think bikes were the target... forestry trucks. It's an area being logged

There's an area of sand dunes over in Western SA where some criminal fool has been putting spikes in the sand to stop 4wds. Very harsh dry isolated area, just a matter of time before someone gets stranded and dies.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Cold and wet down your way Bruce ?
    It's been blowing a gale most of the day up here, now the wind has lightened up but the rain has set in with a serious vengeance. Absolutely disgusting day.

The TV weather map looked pretty vicious !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    This looks like a fair bit of a boat for the money.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-...cht/1120801810

Really nice. Might need a couple of ring frames built near the mast but what a lovely boat - so cheap!

Rick

Yeah cold and wet and now a bit windy. Happy to be inside where the roof does not leak, even under sharp squally stuff.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    So heres the tiles in question, in the bathroom we already did.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Yes, the same as ours, or similar. And yes, you've put similar ones together like I did! But don't worry, it looks great and no one else will ever notice! Bathroom looks really good BTW!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Thanks Ian.
    That's probably the one - there aren't many shops in Ulmarra! Not sailing and never go crabbing. Painting

Rick

Which shower cap is yours Phil?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Yes, the same as ours, or similar. And yes, you've put similar ones together like I did! But don't worry, it looks great and no one else will ever notice! Bathroom looks really good BTW!

Rick
    Thanks! Felicity dad did most of that, so the pressure is on a bit. Not that it's a competition or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Which shower cap is yours Phil?

Rick
    What took you so long? Been waiting for that. For some reason Felicity has 2.

Just like a summer evening here now. Very pleasant!

Rick

What took you so long? Been waiting for that. For some reason Felicity has 2.
    Oh, yeah .....

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I don't think bikes were the target... forestry trucks. It's an area being logged
    I don't know it just doesn't ring true somehow. Looking at that photo, if you were going to spike the ground you would space the steel pickets more and not use the rubber strips. The grouping of the stakes is more in keeping with supporting the strips than ripping tires.
    Reminds me of a surveying job I was on in Capricornia Group of Islands off Gladstone back in 81. We had to bang steel pickets into the beach with only a couple of inches showing as datum points. Totally ideal for ripping open the ball of a foot but we had to leave them there.

The rubber strips may be to disguise the droppers. Just guessing. I can't think of any good reason for them to be there and bad reasons are thin on the ground. One thing though, whether through malice or dumbaxe neglect, you wouldn't want to come off a bike onto them, or even drive an expensive tyre onto them.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I don't know it just doesn't ring true somehow. Looking at that photo, if you were going to spike the ground you would space the steel pickets more and not use the rubber strips. The grouping of the stakes is more in keeping with supporting the strips than ripping tires.
    I agree. Those strips look like flow-slowers to me. Lacking further info, the spikes might well be in the middle and at the edges, where wheels would straddle or pass them.

And in relation to Phil's post about the SA sand-dunes -- well, knowledge of the presence of spikes would probably keep the 4WDs out, eh? Probably all they really needed were a few UXB signs around....
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

A young bloke was killed years ago in Alice, late 80's, when someone strung up wire in an area where we all rode our bikes out behind the telegraph station.....pretty much decapitated him.

Rick, I was a little too late to catch the wood shop which was a real bummer as I was really keen to get there and see what he was doing. Ended up going past right on 5.30 and thought maybe we might just catch him but .........
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Rick, we've used those tiles in the kitchen and wood stove area in our place. Builder said they were the hardest tiles he'd ever come across. Italian, name something to do with fire or flame.

Finally, dried out the damp seam and it's only taken 5 weeks. I'd forgotten how messy glass can get but it's gotten one layer on. In parts i'll add another as it involved forcing the hull back into it's original shape with a pack strap, a length of good Tassy oak, clamps and wedges. Then I've got to fillet the seam, what do you use to thicken epoxy? I'll use wood flour, but there's an old WBF discussion here.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...er-wheat-flour

A few good old names there too.

Nice to finally get to construction rather than destruction.

Jeff, I generally use wood flour to thicken epoxy. I especially save dust from the bandsaw for just that purpose. But even find bandsaw dust makes it harder to sand the final result really smooth. (Also the flour goes a lot darker in colour too, once it's wet; but I suppose you'll be painting over it anyway so that won't matter.)

I also used microballoons once, filleting down along AL's keel. It worked fine and faired well, but was quite expensive as I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Rick, we've used those tiles in the kitchen and wood stove area in our place. Builder said they were the hardest tiles he'd ever come across. Italian, name something to do with fire or flame.
    Which is basically why I don't have anywhere proper to hang towels and toilet rolls and stuff yet. You can drill through them, with a little tiny diamond hole saw, but it takes ages, and ages. And ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    Jeff, I generally use wood flour to thicken epoxy. I especially save dust from the bandsaw for just that purpose. But even find bandsaw dust makes it harder to sand the final result really smooth. (Also the flour goes a lot darker in colour too, once it's wet; but I suppose you'll be painting over it anyway so that won't matter.)

I also used microballoons once, filleting down along AL's keel. It worked fine and faired well, but was quite expensive as I remember.
    I dont really get the wood flour thing. As you say, it's no good in a bright finish as it goes much darker than the timber. It's an absolute bugger to sand, not quite as hard as those tiles, but a good approximation. WEST and all the rest make powders for glueing, powders for filling and fairing. I figure they have thought about it a bit and know what they are doing.
    Oh and I basically hate sanding.

The seam is internal and will be covered by a coat of 2 pot white with a modicum of sand in it for grip. I'm not sure I've got any suitable wood flour, I may have to create some specifically.

I dont really get the wood flour thing. As you say, it's no good in a bright finish as it goes much darker than the timber. It's an absolute bugger to sand, not quite as hard as those tiles, but a good approximation. WEST and all the rest make powders for glueing, powders for filling and fairing. I figure they have thought about it a bit and know what they are doing.
    Oh and I basically hate sanding.
    If you ever have a floor sanded save the sander dust but sieve the long fibers out before using it. It's not fun to sand but it's very strong.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    If you ever have a floor sanded save the sander dust but sieve the long fibers out before using it. It's not fun to sand but it's very strong.
    Yep, that's what I do with my bandsaw dust.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Finally, dried out the damp seam and it's only taken 5 weeks. I'd forgotten how messy glass can get but it's gotten one layer on. In parts i'll add another as it involved forcing the hull back into it's original shape with a pack strap, a length of good Tassy oak, clamps and wedges. Then I've got to fillet the seam, what do you use to thicken epoxy? I'll use wood flour, but there's an old WBF discussion here.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...er-wheat-flour

A few good old names there too.

Nice to finally get to construction rather than destruction.
    Jeff... a couple of shots of the large diameter fillet we did a while back.

... and the most important piece. The sanding mandrel - a piece of steel pipe of the same diameter.

The goop was applied using a rounded plastic spatula. Mere cents to buy at Bunnings and rounded on a flat disk sander I made.

For goop... there's only one thing. Microballoons.

I agree re the micro balloons Jeff, don't waste your time with making up wood flour, micro balloons are cheap enough and easier to mix and use.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Are they a breathing hazard Greg ?
    Grateful Dead

Meanwhile, I'm heading back to Darwin next weekend for six months - woohoo (I think ). I haven't seen the purchase order yet but they've agreed the rate and start date of 22 August. Not the construction PM job, back where I was when I was up there about six years ago.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Meanwhile, I'm heading back to Darwin next weekend for six months - woohoo (I think ). I haven't seen the purchase order yet but they've agreed the rate and start date of 22 August. Not the construction PM job, back where I was when I was up there about six years ago.
    Excellent. When do you need the subbie(s) there?