Page 877 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 3777778278678768778788879279771377 ... LastLast
Results 30,661 to 30,695 of 48357

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #30661
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,884

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Just put up a couple more Kombi bits for sale.
    I've been using some of the money to tip Dylan Winter for downloading his videos. I've got about 9 Gbs to watch over the weekend while I'm on Redwing.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

  2. #30662
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,884

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Framing for the outboard battery box. This will hold the battery and plastic box in place under the Port side settee.

    Only took me a year to work out how I was going to do it.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

  3. #30663
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    23,975

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Are those strips of rubber? Not someones attempt at stopping erosion?
    Not according to Forestry NSW

  4. #30664
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,884

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Not according to Forestry NSW
    Seems an odd way to trip up a bike though. Looks more like a barrier than a booby trap.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

  5. #30665
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,977

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Cold and wet down your way Bruce ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  6. #30666
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    23,975

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Seems an odd way to trip up a bike though. Looks more like a barrier than a booby trap.
    I don't think bikes were the target... forestry trucks. It's an area being logged

  7. #30667
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    20,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    There's an area of sand dunes over in Western SA where some criminal fool has been putting spikes in the sand to stop 4wds. Very harsh dry isolated area, just a matter of time before someone gets stranded and dies.

  8. #30668
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    20,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Cold and wet down your way Bruce ?
    It's been blowing a gale most of the day up here, now the wind has lightened up but the rain has set in with a serious vengeance. Absolutely disgusting day.

  9. #30669
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,977

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    The TV weather map looked pretty vicious !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  10. #30670
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    20,165

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    This looks like a fair bit of a boat for the money.

    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-...cht/1120801810

    Really nice. Might need a couple of ring frames built near the mast but what a lovely boat - so cheap!

    Rick

  11. #30671
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,211

    Default

    Yeah cold and wet and now a bit windy. Happy to be inside where the roof does not leak, even under sharp squally stuff.

    sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  12. #30672
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    20,165

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    So heres the tiles in question, in the bathroom we already did.
    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Yes, the same as ours, or similar. And yes, you've put similar ones together like I did! But don't worry, it looks great and no one else will ever notice! Bathroom looks really good BTW!

    Rick

  13. #30673
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    20,165

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Thanks Ian.
    That's probably the one - there aren't many shops in Ulmarra! Not sailing and never go crabbing. Painting

    Rick

  14. #30674
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    20,165

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Which shower cap is yours Phil?

    Rick

  15. #30675
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    20,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Yes, the same as ours, or similar. And yes, you've put similar ones together like I did! But don't worry, it looks great and no one else will ever notice! Bathroom looks really good BTW!

    Rick
    Thanks! Felicity dad did most of that, so the pressure is on a bit. Not that it's a competition or anything.

  16. #30676
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    20,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Which shower cap is yours Phil?

    Rick
    What took you so long? Been waiting for that. For some reason Felicity has 2.

  17. #30677
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    20,165

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Just like a summer evening here now. Very pleasant!

    Rick

  18. #30678
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    20,165

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    What took you so long? Been waiting for that. For some reason Felicity has 2.
    Oh, yeah .....

    Rick

  19. #30679
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,884

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I don't think bikes were the target... forestry trucks. It's an area being logged
    I don't know it just doesn't ring true somehow. Looking at that photo, if you were going to spike the ground you would space the steel pickets more and not use the rubber strips. The grouping of the stakes is more in keeping with supporting the strips than ripping tires.
    Reminds me of a surveying job I was on in Capricornia Group of Islands off Gladstone back in 81. We had to bang steel pickets into the beach with only a couple of inches showing as datum points. Totally ideal for ripping open the ball of a foot but we had to leave them there.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

  20. #30680
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,211

    Default

    The rubber strips may be to disguise the droppers. Just guessing. I can't think of any good reason for them to be there and bad reasons are thin on the ground. One thing though, whether through malice or dumbaxe neglect, you wouldn't want to come off a bike onto them, or even drive an expensive tyre onto them.

    sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  21. #30681
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,492

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I don't know it just doesn't ring true somehow. Looking at that photo, if you were going to spike the ground you would space the steel pickets more and not use the rubber strips. The grouping of the stakes is more in keeping with supporting the strips than ripping tires.
    I agree. Those strips look like flow-slowers to me. Lacking further info, the spikes might well be in the middle and at the edges, where wheels would straddle or pass them.

    And in relation to Phil's post about the SA sand-dunes -- well, knowledge of the presence of spikes would probably keep the 4WDs out, eh? Probably all they really needed were a few UXB signs around....
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

  22. #30682
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,506

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    A young bloke was killed years ago in Alice, late 80's, when someone strung up wire in an area where we all rode our bikes out behind the telegraph station.....pretty much decapitated him.


    Rick, I was a little too late to catch the wood shop which was a real bummer as I was really keen to get there and see what he was doing. Ended up going past right on 5.30 and thought maybe we might just catch him but .........
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  23. #30683
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    58,742

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    #32067
    Rick, we've used those tiles in the kitchen and wood stove area in our place. Builder said they were the hardest tiles he'd ever come across. Italian, name something to do with fire or flame.

  24. #30684
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    58,742

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Finally, dried out the damp seam and it's only taken 5 weeks. I'd forgotten how messy glass can get but it's gotten one layer on. In parts i'll add another as it involved forcing the hull back into it's original shape with a pack strap, a length of good Tassy oak, clamps and wedges. Then I've got to fillet the seam, what do you use to thicken epoxy? I'll use wood flour, but there's an old WBF discussion here.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...er-wheat-flour

    A few good old names there too.

    Nice to finally get to construction rather than destruction.

  25. #30685
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,492

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Jeff, I generally use wood flour to thicken epoxy. I especially save dust from the bandsaw for just that purpose. But even find bandsaw dust makes it harder to sand the final result really smooth. (Also the flour goes a lot darker in colour too, once it's wet; but I suppose you'll be painting over it anyway so that won't matter.)

    I also used microballoons once, filleting down along AL's keel. It worked fine and faired well, but was quite expensive as I remember.
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

  26. #30686
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    20,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    #32067
    Rick, we've used those tiles in the kitchen and wood stove area in our place. Builder said they were the hardest tiles he'd ever come across. Italian, name something to do with fire or flame.
    Which is basically why I don't have anywhere proper to hang towels and toilet rolls and stuff yet. You can drill through them, with a little tiny diamond hole saw, but it takes ages, and ages. And ages.

  27. #30687
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    20,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    Jeff, I generally use wood flour to thicken epoxy. I especially save dust from the bandsaw for just that purpose. But even find bandsaw dust makes it harder to sand the final result really smooth. (Also the flour goes a lot darker in colour too, once it's wet; but I suppose you'll be painting over it anyway so that won't matter.)

    I also used microballoons once, filleting down along AL's keel. It worked fine and faired well, but was quite expensive as I remember.
    I dont really get the wood flour thing. As you say, it's no good in a bright finish as it goes much darker than the timber. It's an absolute bugger to sand, not quite as hard as those tiles, but a good approximation. WEST and all the rest make powders for glueing, powders for filling and fairing. I figure they have thought about it a bit and know what they are doing.
    Oh and I basically hate sanding.

  28. #30688
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    58,742

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    The seam is internal and will be covered by a coat of 2 pot white with a modicum of sand in it for grip. I'm not sure I've got any suitable wood flour, I may have to create some specifically.

  29. #30689
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,977

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I dont really get the wood flour thing. As you say, it's no good in a bright finish as it goes much darker than the timber. It's an absolute bugger to sand, not quite as hard as those tiles, but a good approximation. WEST and all the rest make powders for glueing, powders for filling and fairing. I figure they have thought about it a bit and know what they are doing.
    Oh and I basically hate sanding.
    If you ever have a floor sanded save the sander dust but sieve the long fibers out before using it. It's not fun to sand but it's very strong.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  30. #30690
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,492

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    If you ever have a floor sanded save the sander dust but sieve the long fibers out before using it. It's not fun to sand but it's very strong.
    Yep, that's what I do with my bandsaw dust.
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

  31. #30691
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    23,975

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Finally, dried out the damp seam and it's only taken 5 weeks. I'd forgotten how messy glass can get but it's gotten one layer on. In parts i'll add another as it involved forcing the hull back into it's original shape with a pack strap, a length of good Tassy oak, clamps and wedges. Then I've got to fillet the seam, what do you use to thicken epoxy? I'll use wood flour, but there's an old WBF discussion here.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...er-wheat-flour

    A few good old names there too.

    Nice to finally get to construction rather than destruction.
    Jeff... a couple of shots of the large diameter fillet we did a while back.







    ... and the most important piece. The sanding mandrel - a piece of steel pipe of the same diameter.



    The goop was applied using a rounded plastic spatula. Mere cents to buy at Bunnings and rounded on a flat disk sander I made.

    For goop... there's only one thing. Microballoons.

  32. #30692
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,506

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I agree re the micro balloons Jeff, don't waste your time with making up wood flour, micro balloons are cheap enough and easier to mix and use.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  33. #30693
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,977

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Are they a breathing hazard Greg ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  34. #30694
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,506

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Meanwhile, I'm heading back to Darwin next weekend for six months - woohoo (I think ). I haven't seen the purchase order yet but they've agreed the rate and start date of 22 August. Not the construction PM job, back where I was when I was up there about six years ago.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  35. #30695
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    23,975

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Meanwhile, I'm heading back to Darwin next weekend for six months - woohoo (I think ). I haven't seen the purchase order yet but they've agreed the rate and start date of 22 August. Not the construction PM job, back where I was when I was up there about six years ago.
    Excellent. When do you need the subbie(s) there?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •