Page 875 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 375775825865874875876885925975 ... LastLast
Results 30,591 to 30,625 of 47911

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

What is a good weight FG cloth for sheathing a yacht hull?
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

For strength or for worm protection Gary ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    For strength or for worm protection Gary ?
    Protection from topside rot.

I have one of these trolleys Bruce,
    http://www.wheeleez.com/kayak-canoe-cart-strapping.php

It's OK, but over a distance or rough grond it needs adjusting a lot, Strap buckles ate a bit lightweight and prone to serious rust quite quickly. A good winch strap would be better. Stows in my rear hatch, I have seen better ones.

Mine (home-made) works much the same as Jeff's. It's just two pieces of 2" x 1", 18" or so long, through-bolted at right-angles. One carries an axle with wheels held on by split-pins, while the other has a trough into which the keel fits. The trough piece has a strap at each end that goes round the body of the kayak. You stick the bow on one end, keel in trough, do up the straps, then lift and wheel from the other end.

To dismantle, remove the split pins and wheels from the axle, then loosen the wing-nut on the through-bolt and swing the two pieces into alignment. The folded frame, and the wheels, all then fit separately under the deck till you need them again. (The two pieces have a very shallow 'half-housing', so that when opened out and the through-bolt tightened, they stay put at right-angles.)

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Thanks Jeff, that's a lot like the one I have. Mine came with narrower wheels, which I replaced with wider ones. It doesn't matter how tightly I strap it down or brace it, the big wheels mean the slewing forces find a way to slew the thing annoyingly in the powdery sand our beach consists of. Also the big wheels meant replacing the bent axle with a much stronger straight axle, which means it can't be stowed under a hatch.

The simplest solution is that I always use the car to get the kayak to the beach. I'd prefer a simpler way. In the heat of summer that might be the only practical way. At other times I may get away with carrying it, if I get a bit fitter and stronger. I've lost so much of both since I stopped rowing

sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Re strap slippage and skewing, I considered attaching a couple of strap guides to the 'yak which should prevent this.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Protection from topside rot.
    Sounds dire. I read somewhere on here recently the truth that many or most boats are destroyed by leaky decks. If your top sides are starting to go, is that from water getting in through the hull/deck joint? Removing your toe rail or rubbing strake or whatever and taping that seam right around might be the answer there. Particular care to cure any leaks at the shroud plates.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Thanks Jeff, that's a lot like the one I have. Mine came with narrower wheels, which I replaced with wider ones. It doesn't matter how tightly I strap it down or brace it, the big wheels mean the slewing forces find a way to slew the thing annoyingly in the powdery sand our beach consists of. Also the big wheels meant replacing the bent axle with a much stronger straight axle, which means it can't be stowed under a hatch.

The simplest solution is that I always use the car to get the kayak to the beach. I'd prefer a simpler way. In the heat of summer that might be the only practical way. At other times I may get away with carrying it, if I get a bit fitter and stronger. I've lost so much of both since I stopped rowing

It it might be impractical, but is more straps an answer? Something from the front corners of the trolley to the bow of the boat, or whatever forward anchor point you have that will give good triangulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    It it might be impractical, but is more straps an answer? Something from the front corners of the trolley to the bow of the boat, or whatever forward anchor point you have that will give good triangulation?
    Good suggestion. That's sort of what I try to do. As well as two straps over the hull I take one round the forward lip of the cockpit and one aft to the stern. Ropes not straps, and locked off to the hull so in theory they don't slip. But the hull is smooth and roundish and tapering flexible plastic so there's always some induced slack in the tie downs somewhere. It's such a rigmorole to strap and tie the thing down, it's almost as much time to tie and untie as it is just to pick the boat up and lump it down the street. It's the deep, dry sand from the street to the water that does me in. In the heat of summer it was a pig to port through that. As an aside, my scull weighs in at just under 19 Kg not including 'ores and I had no issues lumping that around up on a shoulder. With a bit of toughening up, and figuring out a reasonable way to carry it, I may get away with just lumping it to the beach.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Can't remember what wheels you have Bruuze, but those in the pic above look to be of insufficient diameter. I'd go with wheel barrow wheels, and maybe try those quite strong rubber occy straps for the athwart ships tie down, and something without stretch going forward. No point looping around the cockpit coaming, you need seperate straps or ropes each side so there can be no slip. Triangulation works. It's well worth getting the infrastructure right so that it's quick and easy to load and unload, otherwise as you say, it becomes a fairly pointless exercise. Jeffs trolley sounds good too, as I picture it the boat sits down low between the wheels, rather than up on top. With the trolley pictured above, the angles are awful, every time a wheel hits a bump there's a horrible amount of leverage trying to hoick the trolley out from under the boat.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 08-07-2016 at 05:53 PM.

My trolley is like Jeff's but has prongs that extend up the sides of the kayak. For wheeling it across sand, just tow it instead of pushing it like a wheelbarrow, then it won't slew. The prongs stop it from slewing anyway but in soft sand, it should be towed.

Rick

Sounds dire. I read somewhere on here recently the truth that many or most boats are destroyed by leaky decks. If your top sides are starting to go, is that from water getting in through the hull/deck joint? Removing your toe rail or rubbing strake or whatever and taping that seam right around might be the answer there. Particular care to cure any leaks at the shroud plates.
    You have my plan in a nutshell Phil. Though taping would certainly be easier than what I was planning to do. I will most likely remove the chainplates as they don't perform any function anyway.

I am somewhat kicking myself this morning, the weather has turned out far nicer than I had expected or was predicted and the Tweed bar looks good. I had convinced myself the bar would be a bit rough with the swell but it's not. Needless to say I've missed the tide.

Sad news today. Midget Farrelly died yesterday. He was a genuinely nice guy, humble, helpful to all and always supportive to youngsters taking up whatever activity he was into. Most famous for his achievements in surfing and the surfing industry, he was also an outstanding hang glider and sailboarder. A great loss.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Sad news today. Midget Farrelly died yesterday. He was a genuinely nice guy, humble, helpful to all and always supportive to youngsters taking up whatever activity he was into. Most famous for his achievements in surfing and the surfing industry, he was also an outstanding hang glider and sailboarder. A great loss.

Rick
    I saw him once when I was teenager. Even a non surfer like me thought he was pretty cool.

Gary, there's no point in sheathing your topsides. You have to sheath your deck and set it up so that it prevents any leakage into the plywood. Run the sheathing over the edges onto the topsides and down an inch or two. Right, no need for chainplates with your rig. Get rid of toerails. You might run a short pair near the bow but, as long as you have good anti skid, toerails are just a nuisance. Form epoxy plugs in the deck everywhere where you have fasteners going into it or through it. Colour the plugs with black texta before you sheathe so that you can see where the plugs are after you lay on the glass. Then drill into the plugs after you do the sheathing and slighter bevel the edges of the holes. This will force the sealant to form an o-ring when you afix deck hardware. Use 10oz glass for deck sheathing.

Sheathe the whole deck and make sure it's waterproof everywhere. Otherwise, you'll be chasing this issue forvthe life of the boat. Cut away any and all ply that's already water stained or it will rot under the sheathing. Make sure that you have the boat really well ventilated or it will rot under the sheathing through condensation. If you have water in your bilges, you'll get condensation and this can also rot your deck.

Rick

Gary, there's no point in sheathing your topsides. You have to sheath your deck and set it up so that it prevents any leakage into the plywood. Run the sheathing over the edges onto the topsides and down an inch or two. Right, no need for chainplates with your rig. Get rid of toerails. You might run a short pair near the bow but, as long as you have good anti skid, toerails are just a nuisance. Form epoxy plugs in the deck everywhere where you have fasteners going into it or through it. Colour the plugs with black texta before you sheathe so that you can see where the plugs are after you lay on the glass. Then drill into the plugs after you do the sheathing and slighter bevel the edges of the holes. This will force the sealant to form an o-ring when you afix deck hardware. Use 10oz glass for deck sheathing.

Sheathe the whole deck and make sure it's waterproof everywhere. Otherwise, you'll be chasing this issue forvthe life of the boat. Cut away any and all ply that's already water stained or it will rot under the sheathing. Make sure that you have the boat really well ventilated or it will rot under the sheathing through condensation. If you have water in your bilges, you'll get condensation and this can also rot your deck.

Rick
    Also pretty much the plan. The only toe rails not to have caused a problem are at the bow. So no toe rails, no chainplates. I have been sheathing the sidedecks as I have done the repairs. I'll forget about sheathing the topsides which will make my life easier. Remove the beltings from the gunwales, repair any rot then FG tape over the join between hull and deck. Replace the beltings and FG tape over them as well.
    Phil and Rick...I am taking notes.

In FG tape I can get 155gm up to 150mm wide and 175gm @ 200mm wide.

Back in the mid '80s I used to windsurf and surf (or try to surf) at Palm Beach, when Midget (like so many others then) was also a keen windsurfer. It was an interesting scene as far as mal surfing went; there was Midget, Nat and Mick Dooley (4th in the 1964 worlds), and the longboard revival was still in its early phase so the breaks weren't crowded. His windsurfer designs were actually ahead of their time in many ways, although as with many ideas they may have been too far ahead of the contemporary technology of fins and sails.

Well I'm going to let you all know the weather has turned horrid again after a glorious weekend, if only to stop the thread falling off the page.

Positively warm today, good day for glassing the dinghy. Did I get any done? No. Some persons have other priorities………….

Very pleasant up here .
    Grateful Dead

No paddling down here. The truck got its oil change and partial de-coking yesterday and seems to be better for it. I put roof bars on today so I can go paddling anywhere I want, in the rain and wind and cold. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    No paddling down here. The truck got its oil change and partial de-coking yesterday and seems to be better for it. I put roof bars on today so I can go paddling anywhere I want, in the rain and wind and cold. No thanks.

Oil change? Sheesh.

Lessee, I did oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, PCV doodad - or whatever they call it, transmission oil and filter, brake fluid, engine coolant. Still have to do the diffs at some stage. That was the first few weeks after buying it.

Oh... and then I fitted the towbar.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Oil change? Sheesh.

Lessee, I did oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, PCV doodad - or whatever they call it, transmission oil and filter, brake fluid, engine coolant. Still have to do the diffs at some stage. That was the first few weeks after buying it.

Oh... and then I fitted the towbar.
    Yeah I did all that too but I didn't want to brag. Apart from the towbar. It already had that. I polished it. Oh but not the PCV. I don't even know if it has a PCV.

I went sailing all day.

Rick

I went sailing all day.

Rick
    Looked like a nice morning for it.

I went to school. Well, it used to be a school... now it's a pub. Had lunch with a couple of mates at the Greenwood in North Sydney. Damn good pub food too... I had spicy squid. $18.

Ended up seeing what the bike experience is like in peak(ish) hour. Came home through Lane Cove and Epping Hwy. Great to use the bus lanes and lane filtering. Can't have been much different time compared to using the motorways on the way in.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I went sailing all day.

Rick
    Well done , inside or outside?

I am hoping to take WB out on Friday for some whale watching and fishing.

Followed by attempting to extract the chainplates bolts for the runners this will be my second try. The plan is using a small mallet with a heavy dolly (piece of pipe) braced on the outside. These coach bolts apear to have been fitted rather tight.;

I poured a new concrete floor in my bathroom. They make boats out of concrete. I'd have to get better at it I think. Next task is to build a stud wall, then do some tiling.

I poured a new concrete floor in my bathroom. They make boats out of concrete. I'd have to get better at it I think. Next task is to build a stud wall, then do some tiling.
    Make sure every thing is ABSOLUTELY square, tiles are unforgiving little things .DAMHIK.
    Grateful Dead

I can offer you the opportunity for more practice. Bring a bobcat with you. The driveway extension and footing for the carhoist is about to go in.

Hoping to do the same for my cellar next week (pending confirmation of a six month gig in Darwin to pay for it). Had lined up to do it a few weeks ago - the day after the EBS - but the concrete pump that I booked broke down, fortunately not costing me the load of concrete that I'd ordered. The upshot though is that I'm in a better position to form up the retaining walls and pour them at the same time, rather than two pours as I'd planned before.

Meanwhile - it's a stunning morning in Coffs Harbour and I am really enjoying a lovely breaky at the surf club!!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Hoping to do the same for my cellar next week (pending confirmation of a six month gig in Darwin to pay for it). Had lined up to do it a few weeks ago - the day after the EBS - but the concrete pump that I booked broke down, fortunately not costing me the load of concrete that I'd ordered. The upshot though is that I'm in a better position to form up the retaining walls and pour them at the same time, rather than two pours as I'd planned before.

Meanwhile - it's a stunning morning in Coffs Harbour and I am really enjoying a lovely breaky at the surf club!!
    Don't forget to do a tour of the breakwaters. Lots of work been / being done there.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Well done , inside or outside?

I am hoping to take WB out on Friday for some whale watching and fishing.

Followed by attempting to extract the chainplates bolts for the runners this will be my second try. The plan is using a small mallet with a heavy dolly (piece of pipe) braced on the outside. These coach bolts apear to have been fitted rather tight.;
    Just out here. It takes too long to get outside from Lemon Tree unless you make a very early start. We really just went out to run the motor but the wind kicked in so we sailed.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Make sure every thing is ABSOLUTELY square, tiles are unforgiving little things .DAMHIK.
    Haha, so funny. Square, in a 100 year old house. As if. I'm putting one of those fancy long shower drains in, and have basically just chosen a line for that as close as I can get to perpendicular to the wall that it centres. I don't expect any of the tiles to be square to any other wall. But the tiles are 300 by 600 and I plan to lay them out so that they have cut edges against all walls. That should minimise the visual assault of the odd angles.