Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

They're good tools Matt, well done .

This one ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

That's the beastie.

What are Y'all's recommendations on good books or other sources to learn how to set up and use a bandsaw correctly?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SoaOkqi-xxs

heres something on sharpening to get you started. I've used this method on bandsaws and it sure does get them cutting a whole lot better.

The first and best advice I can give ( and I've logged several thousand hours on my bandsaw) is to always work as if the wood you are cutting is about to vaporise....where would your hands go? Where is the feed pressure going to send your hands ? The assumption is that there is a rot pocket in the wood you are cutting . This advice was given to me by a tradesman boatbuilder with all his fingers.

Next, always use sharp blades and research blade tension and guide adjustment for your saw, there are lots of videos on YouTube on the subject.
    Grateful Dead

Excellent advice Peter! Push sticks help too, and sharp blades go a log way to improving safety because you have a scalpel instead if a bludgeon so you're not forcing material through it. All bladed tools should be hungry for wood and not require material to be forced hard in to them. You'll get a truer cut with less blade wander that way also.

if you haven't already got one, pickup one of carbatecs magnetic digital angle gauges, they're about $60 from memory. You'll find about a million uses for that thing. First one would be setting the machine up with the blade at a true vertical, that way any angle you set the table to will give you a true cut. The indicators on the table are not to be trusted.

Agreed , blunt blade force you to push hard , the cut is slow and often the blade wanders.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I remember Algate , -8C was the coldest ever there .
    It's all relative, I mean where Peter Lemonhands comes from water impersonates solid earth for several months of the year.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

True, another universe !!
    Grateful Dead

Fitting new toe rails.

Cabin top repairs.

I've decided it's all getting a bit silly. I'm pricing hauling out for up to three weeks. I will rip off the gunwale beltings both sides. strip back the topside down to the first chine, repair any rot and fibreglass from the chine to the gunwale. At the gunwale I will round over the hull sidedeck and fibreglass it. Then fit new beltings and toe rails.

Next weekend is the Tumbulgum-Fingal race (want to come Peter?) and sometime mid to late July it's Southport scene one take two. The plan it to see how far up into the Bay I can get before I need to come home.

Good idea to haul out for a few weeks. That kind of work will go twice as fast and be half as difficult on hardstand.

And your tools don't sink if you drop them.

That sounds like a very good plan Gary .

Tumbulgum/ Fingal ?.... I'll ask management .
    Grateful Dead

That sounds like a very good plan Gary .

Tumbulgum/ Fingal ?.... I'll ask management .
    I am on duty till at least midday Saturday but I could pick you up from Murbah around 1pm, though if you could get to Tweed it would make life easy. The 605 from Murbah is on $2,50 concession...ask for a red ticket. I would deliver you home.

Good move Gary! BTW toerails are part of the problem. They hold water and don't really serve much purpose. Why don't you get rid of them so that everything drains off? Better to have good non-skid and no toerails.

Rick

Recent wind and tides have exposed a lot of old rock and bank on the beach near us. Today, looking for bones, I found remains of an old boat. Rowlock, bit of an old engine block etc.

I always look for bones along here as a few years ago, a guy was reported missing and we were all asked to keep an eye out for him. He since turned up and was charged with fraud etc. but I still look in case he was fibbing again.

Rick

It has started. The shameless corner-cutting that will hopefully get me over the line with my boat build. I'm too ashamed to say on the Romana thread, but today I got two big cubes of second-hand books for nothing. The books are of no great consequence, despite what wife and daughter think, however one of the cubes - a plastic all-porpoise milk crate - is sitting in the aft end of the cockpit waiting for a wooden lid, looking for all the world like an anchor box/rowing thwart combo in the making. It's the right height for the rowing thwart and low enough to sit in the aft cockpit area under the tiller. A couple of simple clips and a wooden lid and it's one! Two jobs off the whiteboard in one!
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Good move Gary! BTW toerails are part of the problem. They hold water and don't really serve much purpose. Why don't you get rid of them so that everything drains off? Better to have good non-skid and no toerails.

Rick
    That has crossed my mind and it would be one less thing to do. I'd also like to get my safety lines back on but I need proper stanchion bases for those.NOT those stupid triangular bases I had.

Rick
    Yes toerails amidships will inevitably mean rot but rather than ditch them why not compromise by raising them an inch or so off the deck? Thus get good drainage and safety cos, after all, they can be very handy in a broach

A bit of trailer welding today with red lead over the welds .... it's the primer I have on hand .
    Grateful Dead

Power tools make a heck of a difference in doing that sort of work. It's also not much slower to cut out a bigger section and replace it than it is to fill/epoxy multiple coats. When I cut out the first section of deck on Icarus with hand tools it took me about 10 hours to remove winch and combing, cut out rotten deck, remove fasteners, replace some secctions of the deck frame, cut new piece of ply to suit, scarf both the existing deck and new section, epoxy encapsulate, glue and fasten. Came back next time with a cordless angle grinder, chainsaw and sawzall and some blades and got the same job done on other side in under half the time. Haulout can be $$$ though. Don't know about your area but looking at about $250/day to get slipped in botany bay. Ouch. Kind of strict in some places about dust etc too.

Recent wind and tides have exposed a lot of old rock and bank on the beach near us. Today, looking for bones, I found remains of an old boat. Rowlock, bit of an old engine block etc.

I always look for bones along here as a few years ago, a guy was reported missing and we were all asked to keep an eye out for him. He since turned up and was charged with fraud etc. but I still look in case he was fibbing again.

Rick
    I picked up two big bronze fairleads and some bronze rudder fittings here after a big blow.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I picked up two big bronze fairleads and some bronze rudder fittings here after a big blow.
    There'd be a sad story behind those !
    Grateful Dead

Watched a fishing boat get hauled up by an excavator and dumped on a low loader on the beach near the ferry while waiting for boarding on the way down to tassie. Not sure what the story was. It was burned out, but also had a bit of rope caught around the prop. I wonder if the prop fouled, she drifted ashore and was then torched by vandals?

Gary you are inspiring me toward the day when I attack Balias decks.

A bit of trailer welding today with red lead over the welds .... it's the primer I have on hand .
    If you have a little surplus I would appreciate a small quantity for WB next haul out ,if you can spare it.

I'll have a look Tom, the yard on the North side of Brisbane ( forgotten his name ) stocks it.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    May the process be less frustrating for you. It's definitely been a learning curve for me. If I could only go back in time.

Nice work on the toe rails Gary.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

The first and best advice I can give ( and I've logged several thousand hours on my bandsaw) is to always work as if the wood you are cutting is about to vaporise....where would your hands go? Where is the feed pressure going to send your hands ? The assumption is that there is a rot pocket in the wood you are cutting . This advice was given to me by a tradesman boatbuilder with all his fingers.

Next, always use sharp blades and research blade tension and guide adjustment for your saw, there are lots of videos on YouTube on the subject.
    Good advice. When I left school I did a woodturning apprenticeship for a bit over a year. Most of the time at the factory I'd just work as a labourer, doing jobs like cutting S-shaped curves into bits of 4" long bits of 2 x 2 (IIRC) rosewood. You'd just stand there hour after hour, doing the same mindless cut but knowing that any mistake would leave you without a finger or two, or three, or perhaps without a hand. I got out with my knuckles scarred but all fingers intact.
    Last edited by Chris249; 06-28-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    After watching I think I'll carefully fit the ply dry then strap it all up and send it off for pressure impregnation. It's what a friend of mine does in his yard.... or did, he's just retired . All his repair work was with pressure impregnated hoop pine.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Nice work on the toe rails Gary.
    Thanks Greg they will all come off again when I re do the gunwale beltings. I like the idea of dowels.

Dowels for what? Be careful of dowels in any area exposed to moisture as they're classic sources of rot.

Rick

Thanks Peter I will also check with Peter Kerr when I see him at the Vintage Regatta.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    If you have a little surplus I would appreciate a small quantity for WB next haul out ,if you can spare it.
    Last tin I bought was from Hempel's but a quick look at their site now came up empty
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Got in an hour or so on Redwing this morning and caught up on the primer finish.

I had an email back from Boatworks at Coomera today and it looks like the go.

Good Morning Gary,

Thank you for your enquiry to lift your 24’ Hartley Spindrift with us at The Boat Works.

The prices for our services are as follows:

Travel Lift (haul out and return) $270.00
    Water Blast if required $60.00
    Environmental Levy (once off ) $45.00
    Hardstand Works Area (per night) $58.50
    $58.50 x 1 week = $409.50
    x 3 weeks = $1228.50

*All prices include GST

Please Note – Prior approval from the Shipyard Manager is required before carrying out any Spray Painting, Sandblasting or Grinding in the yard.

We also have the following special for our Works Area on offer for a limited time only:

Stand by Rates Deal
    *Conditions:
    - Book in for haul out on a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday
    - Receive first Saturday & Sunday on hardstand or refit shed FOC
    - Non compounding
    - Can not be used in conjunction with any other special

There's a free Mirror Dinghy at Port Macq.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/port-...ngy/1117176909
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book