Page 874 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 374774824864873874875884924974 ... LastLast
Results 30,556 to 30,590 of 47894

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Nice Bruze. Post a pic of the Bruuze Canuuze when you can remember how. The weekend looks good, I think Monday might be turning wet again, haven't checked on the wind. A good paddle and a head full of clean cold salt water might be just the thing for you. If it's the same thing as half of Adelaide has been getting, we've had it here too, and it's still hanging around. Bloody annoying.

According to my friend windyty today is good, tomorrow not so much, Monday good, and from there on its all downhill.

Still too crook today, but Monday could be good. Are you free to come along with the inflatable?

I finally figured out what the straps behind the cockput are for. I read the manual. Der.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Full camo!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

So I was looking at the weather and making sure I still have most of the gear from last season's paddling, and coughing and sniffing and sneezing, and the thoughts started.
    "How bad could it be?"
    "What could possibly go wrong?"
    "Gee I like the feel of tight wetsuit material ..."
    You get the drift. I made six different attempts to talk myself out of it and ended up going for a quick paddle. After a long haul, and then followed by another long haul. The long hauls were really unnecesarily added by me in an attempt to prove that I'm not too old, not too sick, to carry a kayak with gear 450 metres from our place, up the hill to the sea front, over the main road, down the concrete steps, along the sand access path, through the mounds of brown seaweed to the water's edge. I mean, it doesn't sound too bad if you say it in French and extend the 'a' in plaaaage.
    First up, I'd lost my sponge. You must have a sponge to sponge out all the spillages that get into the cockpit. No matter. Then I realised that, even though I could lift the kayak cockpit rim up onto a shoulder doesn't mean it's going to be comfortable. Third, wheezing doesn't actually help. But with trembling muscles, and swimming in sweat I got to the water's edge. Surprisingly the water isn't as cold as I imagined. Or maybe my overheated body was looking to dump heat quickly. But whatever, getting into the cockpit, actually in the shallows, was no drama.
    I don't have a name for the new kayak yet, but whatever she's called, she's lovely. Actually about 10 Kg lighter than Ken, 800mm shorter, and stealthy as all heck. It's a good job I have a fluoro coloured rashie or I'd just disappear into her. I don't want to dwell on how good a fit I am in the cockpit in the wetsuit, but, wet plastic, wet rubber wetsuit, snugly slithering into the ... it's quite erotic.
    After a short paddle along the coast I ran her up onto the sand with a bit of an assist from a very low wave. Even with the waves this small she wants to catch them. And then the terrible realisation dawned on me that I'd have to lump it all back through the mounds of seaweed, up the beach path, up the concrete steps, across the main road and down the street to home. I did some stretches to delay the inevitable, and I noticed that the ladies among the beach strollers were taking shy sideways glances at my wetsuited magnificence. Unfortunately the blokes with them seemed unusually gruff and stand-offish, most of them anyway, and weren't looking like they'd respond to a request to help me carry the kayak a bit. So I trudged and carried and wheezed and sniffed and struggled, and finally got home.
    I'm not sure whether it's worth having another go at carrying the kayak to the beach when I'm over the flu. I do cut a fine figure of a man in my new gear though.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 08-06-2016 at 01:01 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Can we make a case for little wheels suitable for sand stowed under the aft deck?
    Grateful Dead

Too much information.

I have a pair of wheels that strap onto my kayak so I just wheel it down to the water, just holding one end up. It's easy and they didn't cost much.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Can we make a case for little wheels suitable for sand stowed under the aft deck?
    Yeah, I've got them. They're a pain in the axle. I had to modify the bought one that had wheels too thin, that dug into the sand. It's such a drama, constantly having to stop and re-establish the trolley under the kayak so it doesn't go sideways, and then it all takes up so much space and adds weight. I'm trying to eliminate everything that feasibly can be dumped. I might have to cave in on this one though, it was a struggle for an old body today.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Too much information.

I have a pair of wheels that strap onto my kayak so I just wheel it down to the water, just holding one end up. It's easy and they didn't cost much.

Rick
    Ditto with Kareela (which I've done for 50+ years). And it doesn't cost anything except for raw materials if you make it yourself.

But I like your description. Bruce -- a thing of true romance....

Tell me, does that paddle come apart in the middle, where that white sleeve is?

Mike

ETA Okay, I see you've got yourself a trolley. If it's like mine it collapses and fits under the deck. I always take mine with me these days, since the time about 30 years ago when I trustingly left one on the beach and had it dismembered by some young thugs who would have been better occupying their time on a prison farm somewhere....
    Last edited by Wooden Boat Fittings; 08-06-2016 at 02:01 AM.
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

I jut found a picture of John who I bought my kayak from, on the ABC News website under 'Pictures of the Week'

I can't post it as a picture here, but here's a link that might take you to it, hopefully.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-0...e-week/7690774

Thanks Matt. It looks very much like my boat, but the photo date is supposed to be 29th July I think, and John had probably already wrapped the boat for transportation by then. If it was earlier than that date it probably is my boat as John was using it as his own boat before he offered it to me.

I've been offered these and will be picking them up next week. I'm not sure how many there are but they have got to be useful to someone somewhere.

Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Bruce, what's the verdict on the comfort of paddling in a wetsuit (once the erotic shivers had passed) ?

I have my separate 3mm long pants and 'jacket' now, but my lower back doesn't feel up to sitting in the kayak. I should try anyway, for a gentle paddle and see how it goes. Also, the water temp is 20C here at the moment, so I'd probably be too hot (though the bruuze has been cool).

Full camo!
    Where? All I can see is an orange thing and a paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Looking good Bruuze. That's quite a surf up for Largs. Nice one. Lost a bit of weight with that man flu too.

How much does the new canuu weight Bruze? On the trolley thing, I can't remember, are you still messing around with an old golf buggy or have you got a purpose designed rig for hauling kayaks across sand? Not too sure I'd want to accompany you in my inflatable, your new toy looks way too slick and fast. I'd just be languishing in your almost imperceptible wake. But thanks for the thought.

I think that might be a little surf at Byron.
    Grateful Dead

The nu canuu specs in at around 23 kg I think. The previous one, the bigger one, weighed in at a chunk over 30, maybe as much as 33.

I have a proper canuu trolley that is a bit old and worn that I am happy to butcher to make it work. The wheels that came with it are too narrow and sink into the soft powdery sand here making it worse that useless, so I repkaced those wheels with big wide 'Drifter' toy trike wheels. In theory that's ok, but in practice it's a nightmare to try to keep it going straight ahead under the canuuu, and the trolley has to be disassembled completely to get the big wheels stowed, and the trolley itself won't go in a hatch due to my 'improvements' so really it's possibly better that I keep an open mind to all suggestions.

Matt the short-bruce wetsuit and rashie are perfect for paddling. Possibly too hot for summer paddling I think, but today in winter at Largs, perfect. I didn't try a swim to feel how much flotation it adds, and I still wear a simple hard pfd. Take care of the back mate. I know you know about core muscles.

Short Bruce

I think that might be a little surf at Byron.
    Full marks, spot on. Wategos beach at Byron, just round from the lighthouse. That's John Clemmett of Challenge Kayaks. He says there are white sharks up there at the moment feeding. Hasn't deterred him, but the weather has.

I think my inflatable weighs in at a tad over 20. We stashed some other stuff in the bag coming back from NZ and were still just under the 23 kg checked baggage limit. It's shape isn't bad, but not comparable to a rigid hull. It has a hard inflatable floor, similar to a SUP board and a tubular inflatable keel underneath that. Still, we will have to check them out side by side some time soon.

Back when my older boys were just nippers I made a trolley for a Holdy we sailed at Largs using a couple of wheelbarrow wheels. That was reasonably successful. Those inflatable ones with a red plastic wheel. Round section. The fat square section ones might be even better. Held on a stainless tube axle with a Clevis pin each, so easy to dismember.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I think my inflatable weighs in at a tad over 20. We stashed some other stuff in the bag coming back from NZ and were still just under the 23 kg checked baggage limit. It's shape isn't bad, but not comparable to a rigid hull. It has a hard inflatable floor, similar to a SUP board and a tubular inflatable keel underneath that. Still, we will have to check them out side by side some time soon.
    Monday. Seriously, at the speeds I'm going to be paddling you could paddle alongside in a hollowed out brick. I reckon the Bic would probably go quite well actually.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    ...Matt the short-bruce wetsuit and rashie are perfect for paddling. Possibly too hot for summer paddling I think, but today in winter at Largs, perfect. I didn't try a swim to feel how much flotation it adds, and I still wear a simple hard pfd. Take care of the back mate. I know you know about core muscles.
    Thanks for the report.
    As for my back; an exercise physiologist has given me a long list of core-strength exercises and stretches to do every day. They are gradually making a difference. I'm not sitting at a desk any more as of a couple of weeks ago. That should help too.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Monday. Seriously, at the speeds I'm going to be paddling you could paddle alongside in a hollowed out brick. I reckon the Bic would probably go quite well actually.

Monday, don't talk to me about Monday...sailing? Let's frame in another battery box instead.

Do you wear wetsuit boots as well Bruce? I wear ones with reinforced soles as here abounds with sharp rocks. It helps with cold feet in winter too.

Monday. Have to get a leave pass from the bathroom reno, but maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Do you wear wetsuit boots as well Bruce? I wear ones with reinforced soles as here abounds with sharp rocks. It helps with cold feet in winter too.
    I don't have wetsuit boots but they would be worth keeping in mind. I have some sort of slipper shoes. Tough soles, breathable canvas-like woven uppers, draw string tound the ankle. All terrain kind of thing and designed for walking through watever rough muck gets you to the water. But not warm at all.

I'm thinking not Monday. But Felicity goes to Cambodia for 10 days on Tuesday........so let's find the next nice weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'm thinking not Monday. But Felicity goes to Cambodia for 10 days on Tuesday........so let's find the next nice weather.
    Good plan. I'm feeling a bit roughed up after yesterday anyway. No exercise for months, getting over flu, overexertion and exposure to the cold. Just call me Einstein, Bruce Einstein.

I prefer Frankk Einstein.

Rick

I'm off to lunch with a bunch of my friends from school who've remained in touch all these years. May not be all that flash tomorrow either.

I think this might be OUR Mikey http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...violin/7685884

Rick

A very talented fella !
    Grateful Dead