Page 870 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 3707708208608698708718809209701370 ... LastLast
Results 30,416 to 30,450 of 49608

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    We don't use a lot of wood as the house is only 6 years old and well insulated. Bit of a compromise using metal framed double glazed windows but much less maintenance. And I too enjoy using the axe and splitter, always have.
    Your house was toasty warm when I was there, very nice. I like our new bifold doors, but they do come at a cost. But it's such a big old leaky draughty hard to heat house anyway I don't know that good Windows would make a great difference. I'd like to insulate under our floors though.

I kind of hate that spell check capitalises Windows. It's a fucking piece of glass in a frame not a trademark.

On the other hand I like that the net nanny lets me say fucking. Crazy world.

Expletives are perfectly acceptable when discussing Microsoft products.

For those of you who use Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/715921747/v...3948279331748/
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Expletives are perfectly acceptable when discussing Microsoft products.
    Windows 10...is an expletive. I have yet to meet anyone who loves it.

A neighbour who had his 'puter in for a renovation had quite a fight NOT to have W10 put on as a matter of course. They removed his existing version and seemed to have great problems reinstalling it. No one was happy.

Yeah, well I've just bought a new computer and I explicitly did not get Windows 10 loaded onto it, but Win7. I've had Win7 for quite some while and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Anyone who didn't want to be be automatically updated to Win10 did well to load GWX Control Panel to stop it happening. But MS has been charging for Win10 since about yesterday, so I guess that probably won't happen anyway now and you're probably safe....

Gary-- content not available here either. Maybe you need to be logged in?

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Windows 10...is an expletive. I have yet to meet anyone who loves it.
    Works for me. I love it. 8 was a dog
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Did you use your new Go Pro type camera for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I kind of hate that spell check capitalises Windows. It's a fucking piece of glass in a frame not a trademark.
    Whenever I type Phil the spell thing tries to turn you into PHIL. But the most annoying thing is the way it turns the possessive case its into it's. A sort of arrogance of ignorance thing.

Speaking of stupid things ..... I went to the Sydney Boat Show on Friday. I took the father outlaw and we had a good day. Went over to the Sydney Heritage Fleet offices where they have a display of old boats - very nice. But the boats in the water at the Show - good grief! What a display of nonsense! But we went on board a Police Vanguard (I think it's Vanguard) - that was really interesting. Soon to be replaced BTW. And I climbed into the yacht that Lisa Someoneorother is about to race solo around Antarctica in. Also very interesting. Lots of nice fittings etc. in the show.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Whenever I type Phil the spell thing tries to turn you into PHIL.

Speaking of stupid things

Rick
    You find that annoying. How do you think it is for moi? If I wasn't so stupid I could probably add Phil to my dictionary somehow I suppose.

Oh, I thought it was just my iPad. Not that I have a persecution complex or anything like that .....

Why not just change your name?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Did you use your new Go Pro type camera for that?
    No I used my phone. I've had mixed results with the SJ4000, mostly my own fault...actually all my own fault. I keep pressing the wrong button and the result has been several Gigabytes of the underside of my hatchcover.
    I do have one video that's not too bad and at the end you can actually see me gaining ground when I eased the sheet. I'll load it to Youtube and link it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    Yeah, well I've just bought a new computer and I explicitly did not get Windows 10 loaded onto it, but Win7. I've had Win7 for quite some while and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Anyone who didn't want to be be automatically updated to Win10 did well to load GWX Control Panel to stop it happening. But MS has been charging for Win10 since about yesterday, so I guess that probably won't happen anyway now and you're probably safe....

Gary-- content not available here either. Maybe you need to be logged in?

Mike
    Okay that is possible. I'm putting another video on Youtube so I'll put that one up as well.

This a cropped video I took with the SJ4000. Towards the end you can see Redwing pick up speed as I ease the sheet. Pity I didn't film for a little longer.

This is the one I linked from Facebook.

Ended up not anchoring for a cuppa as the other guys all had to be elsewhere.

No I used my phone. I've had mixed results with the SJ4000, mostly my own fault...actually all my own fault. I keep pressing the wrong button and the result has been several Gigabytes of the underside of my hatchcover.
    I do have one video that's not too bad and at the end you can actually see me gaining ground when I eased the sheet. I'll load it to Youtube and link it here.
    I've got a GoPro 4 Black that I really dislike and rarely use. You need to take one of your kids along to figure out how to work it... and even then, they may have one of the multitude of settings wrong. My now three Contours are just miles ahead from an ergonomic and user-friendliness perspective. The latest is cold-start, one slide of a large switch. You don't need to look at it... the switch covers a large part of the top... it's forward for on, back for off. Any change to settings is done via the USB cable. Even worse than the GoPro is the damn handheld gimbal that I've got for it. Argh.

Re Windows 10.... what's the supposed problem with it? Why all the angst?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I've got a GoPro 4 Black that I really dislike and rarely use. You need to take one of your kids along to figure out how to work it... and even then, they may have one of the multitude of settings wrong. My now three Contours are just miles ahead from an ergonomic and user-friendliness perspective. The latest is cold-start, one slide of a large switch. You don't need to look at it... the switch covers a large part of the top... it's forward for on, back for off. Any change to settings is done via the USB cable. Even worse than the GoPro is the damn handheld gimbal that I've got for it. Argh.

My problem with the camera is simple, basically it's two buttons and I press the wrong one to do the right thing.
    I personally don't have any problems with any MS software or operating systems because I don't use any of them. Except occasionally I fire up a desktop I have and use for slide and neg scanning. The scanner I have is Windows only.

My problem with the camera is simple, basically it's two buttons and I press the wrong one to do the right thing.
    I personally don't have any problems with any MS software or operating systems because I don't use any of them. Except occasionally I fire up a desktop I have and use for slide and neg scanning. The scanner I have is Windows only.
    The GoPro is 3 buttons, but as well as that, I've got some sort of Dick Tracy wrist screen device that's supposed to Bluetooth control things. It just hasn't been worth the effort to try and get it all working. I've devoted a few evenings to it... apparently get it set, then it forgets things and I forget things and it all gets dumped back in the carry case.

The whole GoPro thing is driven on a screen that needs a bloody magnifying glass to see what's going on and a Phd in obscure icons to try and figure it out. A bit like the modern foray into iDrive screens on cars (which should be interlocked out so that a driver can't use them.... eyes on the road and all that).

I just don't understand the whole Windows resistance thing. My clients all use it... I use it. Windows 10 is painless... it's infrastructure. I don't hate Sydney Water for providing basic infrastructure... and quite frankly, I don't hate billy gates. He's done us a service.

The SJ4000 has menu buttons and I've dl'd an ap for the phone that allows me to control from the phone via wifi.

Linux rules...no viruses, no need to pay for antivirus bloatware and more than enough open source software to keep me happy.
    Android is Linux btw.

Linux was always a favourite of mine, along with Snoopy, of course. And Pattie.

Rick

Linux was always a favourite of mine, along with Snoopy, of course. And Pattie.

Rick
    Ah Rick, we can always count on you!

Someone was looking for portholes ? Was that you Greg or Rick ? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Large-Bro...kAAOSwARZXj25t

Last edited by PeterSibley; 08-01-2016 at 02:41 AM.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I've just posted over in Tools, Products etc a shout out for Coursemaster. Thought I'd mention it here too. Local Sydney based firm. Brilliant technical support even on old equipment. Quite outstanding. www.coursemaster.com

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Someone was looking for portholes ? Was that you Greg or Rick ? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Large-Bro...kAAOSwARZXj25t
    Ha ha... prices from $300 to $700 each. It'd be an interesting yacht using 46cm diameter portholes. Steel covers. Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I've just posted over in Tools, Products etc a shout out for Coursemaster. Thought I'd mention it here too. Local Sydney based firm. Brilliant technical support even on old equipment. Quite outstanding. www.coursemaster.com
    Does that mean the electro-magic self-steering gizmo is working? Is there a test sailing day planned after I recover from a rotten head cold?

sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Does that mean the electro-magic self-steering gizmo is working? Is there a test sailing day planned after I recover from a rotten head cold?

sent from my nerdy phone app
    I just have to mount the rudder angle sensor, but yes, it all lights up and seems keen to do the right thing. Ive taken the main off to get the sail cover repaired or replaced. I thought there was a guy near here who does small canvas work, but he seems to have retired. Know anyone? I don't want a whole new sail cover, because I hope to get new sails within the next year or three. But I think the last metre or two along the boom basically needs replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post

The GoPro has a similar "cold start" function - once it is set up, you just press the big button on the top to power on and start recording, press it again to shut down - easy.
    They are very capable, but you do need to RTFM (read the f***ing manual), as intuitive they aint. Once one is set up the way you want though, it is pretty much point and shoot. There are lots of really good online tutorials covering when and why you might want to use one mode over another.
    My biggest problem is the PC choking when trying to preview raw footage, as the frame rate is so high. I am still getting my head around GoPro's video editing/processing software.

Pete
    I have six trolls on ignore

It was Rick. Those portholes are the sort of thing I'm after but not at antique shop prices!

Rick

It was Rick. Those portholes are the sort of thing I'm after but not at antique shop prices!

Rick
    Was this for your house? I'm thinking front load washing machines.

Yes, for the house. Our washing machine already has one.

Rick

Well that's a start. A little gold paint and you got a new reality TV show.

Ol washer doors are cheap……………..