Page 868 of 1419 FirstFirst ... 3687688188588678688698789189681368 ... LastLast
Results 30,346 to 30,380 of 49631

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Ta
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Jeff, very sorry to hear about Ann's kidney stones playing up. Never had that problem. Everyone I know that has talked about having them says how painful and miserable it is having them. I hope they pass quickly, or whatever they do.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    You might find that chart updates are an expired thing. Maybe not though. I have it on my phone and tablet, and bought two licences because I didn't realise there was a crossover license in play, so I let one lapse and I keep one paid up. I keep getting reminders that licenses are expiring, then within the app it says I have months left to go, so it all continues to work. I do make sure I pay a license fee once a year, to make sure, but the app doesn't seem to know what's up.

sent from my nerdy phone app

I would think it would ask for money for a fresh install?
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Well, that Campin website works on the computer, but when I downloaded it to my main phone... not working there yet. Not sure why

Thanks, I'll have a decco.

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 07-27-2016 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I would think it would ask for money for a fresh install?
    Can't say it does that. I might be wrong but I think you lose the ability to update maps, and some navigation functions are lost. Don't quote me on that, and I'm not going there with my app just to see. Let me know if you find out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    I went to renew my passport and was told that the documents I had were insufficient. However, they kindly informed me, I could walk next door, use the very same documents to apply for a Proof of Age card, and then walk back in and use the Proof of Age card for my passport 30 minutes later.

It worked, but it was still bizarre.

I feel your pain. When we bought our first house Suncorp in Queensland was still a building society. When we went to take out our deposit from them, to give back to them at settlement we had to take the cash to Westpac for a bank cheque. They wouldn't accept their own cheque.
    Quest

Moving slowly towards a Welsford Sundowner.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

I tested out my tiller extension last weekend and it works fine, except when some gas guzzler fangs past leaving me to rock and roll in it's wake...then it slops a bit.

That's the problem. When you're steering for hours in a sloppy sea, a sloppy tiller or extension is really annoying.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That's the problem. When you're steering for hours in a sloppy sea, a sloppy tiller or extension is really annoying.

Rick
    It would be annoying.
    I tested the water proof case of my little video cam by attaching it, minus camera to an aluminium pole and pushing it to the bottom of my 1,000 gallon tank. It stayed dry inside.

It would be annoying.
    I tested the water proof case of my little video cam by attaching it, minus camera to an aluminium pole and pushing it to the bottom of my 1,000 gallon tank. It stayed dry inside.
    Scientific fact. They only leak with a camera in them. Something to do with the camera displacing air which is compressible.

It would be annoying.

It's not good when your water tank stays dry inside, is it?

As a matter of interest, when I shot this stuff, 2010... I'd never seen a selfie stick. Still don't own one... but I think it would be ideal for getting some of this sort of footage. Better when the water is clearer.

I should go back and do some of those videos properly, now I have PremierePro

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Scientific fact. They only leak with a camera in them. Something to do with the camera displacing air which is compressible.
    Guess I'll just have to test the fact eh.

I saw that. It doesn't seem to make much sense, but more power to them, hope it works.

Mobile phone is useful in my boat restoration for getting a look in impossible to get places.
    Hint. Tie it firmly to a bit of string, nothing worse than having to take the deck off to retrieve it. ….and no, I thought of that before not after.

Years ago I built my own underwater housing for an SLR, pressuriseable with a safety valve and it's own spike anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Mobile phone is useful in my boat restoration for getting a look in impossible to get places.
    Hint. Tie it firmly to a bit of string, nothing worse than having to take the deck off to retrieve it. ….and no, I thought of that before not after.

Years ago I built my own underwater housing for an SLR, pressuriseable with a safety valve and it's own spike anchor.
    So you and that bloke who lives near John Howard's holiday house both have lots of underwater photos that you don't share with us?

I saw that. It doesn't seem to make much sense, but more power to them, hope it works.
    I like anything that removes rubbish from waterways etc.

I like anything that removes rubbish from waterways etc.
    Yes. It won't, by itself, save the planet. It will remove some rubbish, and it all helps. I'm reminded of the parable of the starfish...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    So you and that bloke who lives near John Howard's holiday house both have lots of underwater photos that you don't share with us?
    Not any more, I was working as a diver at the time and had some amazing dives in the Abrohllos and in caves on the Nullabor, but fortunately I got hooked on skiing before I'd done any damage to myself. Last professional dive was probably summer 1967 or 8. Camera has long gone, sold the whole thing with my cylinders I think.

Tackled the nastiest job on the Sabre resto. today, taking a layer of oil house paint off the 2 pot mix underneath it. Where I've cut 'portholes' in the hull the undercoat is bright orange. Boat was professionally built of mahogany ply about 35 years ago. Could it be red lead? I rather thought ordinary timber primer.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 07-28-2016 at 05:01 AM.

Yes, well there's only a few small patches and round the holes for replacement ply. I'm not using heat and only sanding off the house paint. Likely at my age it's not a particular risk considering the exposure I had to asbestos sheeting in various old bush houses.

Interesting. Very interesting indeed.
    http://www.evansclarke.com.au/detail.aspx?id=1037886

Indeed, do you need a small boat project Phil?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post

Havent tried one, but you can get little tiny boroscope type cameras that attach to an iPad or laptop or whatever. Could be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Indeed, do you need a small boat project Phil?
    Apparently not at this time.

Once used a digital camera to photograph in past a too tight squeeze in a cave to see if it went anywhere, it didn't.

Apparently not at this time.
    Apparently ???

Nobody ever actually NEEDS a small boat project. Doesn't mean we don't HAVE small boat projects. Maybe if you rush to finish the bathroom project you'll have time for a boat project.

Like the top of the mountain is just over the next little rise. Oh no, there's another little rise, and another one, and another one, and who knows how many more after that.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Apparently ???Nobody ever actually NEEDS a small boat project. Doesn't mean we don't HAVE small boat projects. Maybe if you rush to finish the bathroom project you'll have time for a boat project.
    There must be at least one more section of yard or house that needs remodeling.😁

But it would make a nice little electric launch wouldn't it? Although SA really lacks suitable waterways for such a boat. Whatever happened to Ian's Yellowtail?

Incidentally Bruce, IIRC you were ruminating a while back on the idea of getting a small group of old farts together to build a boat? I searched Payne yellowtail and came across one for sale, built by a group of volunteers in Port Adelaide. Not sure if the ad was current. Shows it's doable though.

Like the top of the mountain is just over the next little rise. Oh no, there's another little rise, and another one, and another one, and who knows how many more after that.
    That's right , you've been to PNG !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Our place is sort of like the Andes and we've taken a north to south trajectory.

Rick

But it would make a nice little electric launch wouldn't it? Although SA really lacks suitable waterways for such a boat. Whatever happened to Ian's Yellowtail?
    He sat in a tub of blue antifoul

Rick

Working on an older classic sometimes holds unexpected surprises. While preparing WB main hatch for the installation of my new hatch cover I realized the hatch cover is made out of 10 m plastic. Not happy even though the 6 m strips glued on top will beef it up ,this hatch will be a permanent weakness in WB deck structure.

[IMG][/IMG]

10mm plastic is pretty strong stuff Tom. Do you need to worry?

Rick