Page 865 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 3657658158558648658668759159651365 ... LastLast
Results 30,241 to 30,275 of 48982

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    You're on the right track... but what he needs is a proper sign out the front

"Government Infrastructure at work.... come in for a look at the most efficient government public works project in history... "

Maybe even "longest NSW government tunneling project in history"

Something nice and sarcastic like that. Make a play of it... have some fun... draw some attention... build the business based on it. Once the media see it, it'll be all over within a couple of weeks... but if he thinks it through right, he can make money out of it for years.
    I reckon you're on the right track. If he can resign himself to going all out, he should do something like that. Speaking of All Out, maybe he should start a Get Up campaign. Lurid text, hooking images, get lots of signatures, and SELL it to a media program...
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

2000+ kms on the trip clock, and we're in Yamba. I'm leaving Evans Head for tomorrow's excursion - just tourism and memories. We came out of banjo country through Armidale, across the high country to Dorigo, down the side of the mountain via mule track (actually a bullock track as was kindly pointed out to me by someone who holds the memories of those bullocks near and dear to him) along the Bellinger River to Coffs.

My memories of Coffs are shattered. It's not like that any more. Not saying it's not OK, but I had to rewire a whole section of my head, just like I did when I went back to the piling berths at Portland. Mind you, the fish and chips at Coffs beat us, and we are not shy when it comes to good food. A Fishermen's Basket for Two, More fish, calamari, scallops, prawns, chips and sundry flavourings than we could poke down with a stick. I still have enough chips in a box here to throw out to power a cloud of flocking seagulls. Plus half a giant fish fillet.

We're at a motel at Yamba, right near the boats and the beaches. Slightly worn, but still standing up unaided, like my best trousers. Walkies time soon, then an early night I'd reckon.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 06-13-2016 at 03:02 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Mule track? What's this mule track stuff? You Hamerican, or something?

One of my rello's had the pub in Dorrigo a long, long time ago... and my grandfather used to run a bullock team up the Dorrigo, pulling out Red Cedar.

The family history ranges down the mountain, through Bellingen to Coffs.

So.... it's a bullock track... not a mule track.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Mule track? What's this mule track stuff? You Hamerican, or something?

One of my rello's had the pub in Dorrigo a long, long time ago... and my grandfather used to run a bullock team up the Dorrigo, pulling out Red Cedar.

The family history ranges down the mountain, through Bellingen to Coffs.

So.... it's a bullock track... not a mule track.
    Noted. Out of respect for your family's bullocks I'll edit the post
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    The parts where you give specific advice about unfair terms being set aside, reasonableness, good faith etc. and so on and so forth. Parties are perfectly free to make and be bound by bad contracts.
    I've seen examples of terms being set aside because of precedent, actual legality of the terms, interpretation of the terms (discussions of reasonableness and good faith), as well as by the breach of consent conditions, set by council and seperate state government departments. Only once did I see anything go to court, however. Generally disputes have been resolved with lawyers around tables.

But I absolutely think this guy should seek the opinion of a contract lawyer ASAP. The waiver smells very fishy. I've never heard of anything like it for any kind of construction, or access contract. "Make good any damages" is the usual clause, and is also always included in NSW DA and CC consent conditions.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

From what I've seen, I don't think the guy should go anywhere near a lawyer... he's just as likely to add fee stress to the whole pile he's having trouble dealing with.

Get him into a frame of mind where he's thinking about having some fun, using the situation to build his cash flow... having a laugh.

He might well double his turnover, if he plays it right.... and he can stick it to the idiots at the same time.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Noted. Out of respect for your family's bullocks I'll edit the post
    First time I have heard a road called a Bullock Track in Aus, but I do know of an old logging trail called the Goat Track.

I remember my grandfather talking about a carpet python that he encountered crossing that road. Head off one side, tail off the other.

I had one memorable run down it, late 70's... had the brake pedal go to the floor. Little red "Brake Fail" light on the dash. Hmm... no kidding. Revved it's tits off in lower gears and got on the handbrake... got around the next corner.

I have to brag about my culinary genius moment this evening. Two courses, including wine, for $12 a head, and we are saying 'yum' a lot, we are pretty much sated.

We were going out to dinner but the Monday evening of a long weekend, not much was open, least of all the pizza and pasta place we weren't quite keen to go to. So I dropped into the grocer's and the bottle-o and whipped us up a couple of avocado rolls and chopped up bananas, with fresh lime juice squeezed all over the place, and a dessert wine. The wine has three functions in this meal - accompaniment to the main course to cut the tart taste of the lime juice, actually being the dessert, and providing a hilarious ambience to the motel room.

Mission acomplished. I have surpassed myself so far this time I think I just met myself coming back again.
    Paperback E-book

Well done Bruce . I had a really excellent wood fired pizza and a free massage at the local fair yesterday, a good day !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Well done Bruce . I had a really excellent wood fired pizza and a bartered massage at the local fair yesterday, a good day ! 4 x tamarillo seedlings = I massage.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Well done Bruce . I had a really excellent wood fired pizza and a bartered massage at the local fair yesterday, a good day ! 4 x tamarillo seedlings = I massage.
    A good deal for both sides of the bargain!
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    First time I have heard a road called a Bullock Track in Aus, but I do know of an old logging trail called the Goat Track.
    I'm surprised Tom, tracks or roads called "the bullock track" seem to be reasonably common (to me anyway), we had one up in the high country at Mitta Mitta where I was born, I know of one near Thredbo and there's one just down from our block here in the GC hinterland.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

From what I've seen, I don't think the guy should go anywhere near a lawyer... he's just as likely to add fee stress to the whole pile he's having trouble dealing with.

Get him into a frame of mind where he's thinking about having some fun, using the situation to build his cash flow... having a laugh.

He might well double his turnover, if he plays it right.... and he can stick it to the idiots at the same time.
    I do like the idea of contacting the local WIN(7) or NBN(9) station. I reckon you're right it'd speed things up.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Mission acomplished. I ha ve surpassed myself so far this time I think I just met myself coming back again.
    - funny, I saw a little sign for sale yesterday when I was having a coffee that you need: "I've gone to find myself, if I should return before I do please keep me here until I get back".
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Before the proliferation of 4WD's in the late 60's and 70's brought on closed tracks we inched the old Landy up old coach roads, mining, bullock, fire, snig and forestry tracks. As you drive down our modern roads you often glimpse the old line of road on a hillside, or in a deep bend or often just beside the road you are on. Of course before fences the bullocky drove his team by the most convenient, less hilly, less boggy route he could find, and ideally regular water along the way. The routes were old even then and he was often guided by information passed on by aboriginals.
    I lived in a little gold town in the dividing range and the coach road in we still used was not the original bullock and walking track used by the miners, it came in from a different direction entirely.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 06-13-2016 at 05:51 AM.

two people gone a few hundred miles North of NZ. One dead , one overboard.

Sorry to hear this.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I'm surprised Tom, tracks or roads called "the bullock track" seem to be reasonably common (to me anyway), we had one up in the high country at Mitta Mitta where I was born, I know of one near Thredbo and there's one just down from our block here in the GC hinterland.
    Ok I stand corrected . Interesting to note the historical significance of names, one that springs to mind is Elephant crossing near Holberg on Northern Vancouver Is , The reference of course to Elephants used for logging.

Ok I stand corrected . Interesting to note the historical significance of names, one that springs to mind is Elephant crossing near Holberg on Northern Vancouver Is , The reference of course to Elephants used for logging.
    This one's known as the Elephant Trail... heads west from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son, near the Burma border. I believe it dates back about 1,000 years or more. Absolutely lovely territory, follows the ridgelines in a lot of places. Very hilly terrain. I've done it a couple of times.... and stacked it just near here. Very, very slippery when wet

um... wooden (grass) boat content from that area...

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Damn.

An Auckland man says members of a yacht crew including his son and daughter-in-law "are not safe yet" from mountainous seas that have claimed one life while another remains missing.

Rescuers are still trying to reach the stricken yacht Platino and find a man overboard but Takapuna resident Peter McKeogh is relieved his son Brent McKeogh and wife Victoria are still alive. But he says the couple and a third crew member are not safe yet.

The Rescue Co-ordination Centre NZ relayed McKeogh news about the tragedy.

RCCNZ spokesman Steve Rendle said he understood the dead man was struck by falling rigging in 4m-high seas while the other man was knocked overboard.

The man's body remains aboard the Platino.

"There were only two people on deck when the accident happened, one was swept overboard and the other got seriously injured and later died," McKeogh said.

Rescue Co-ordination Centre NZ search and rescue mission co-ordinator Keith Allen said the yacht suffered serious rigging damage on Monday morning in winds of up to 75 kilometres per hour.

The accident happened 550km north of New Zealand and rescue co-ordinators remain in contact with the Platino via satellite phone.

A seasoned sailor himself, McKeogh said his son Brent, 55, and daughter-in-law Victoria, who live on in Bayswater, on Auckland's North Shore, have "a lot of miles" sailing experience.

"Well [they're] not safe yet, but if they get through the night they'll get picked up, there's not a hell of a lot you can do about it, you've just got to leave them to it.

The yacht had been due to take part in this month's Auckland to Denarau, Fiji, yacht race, but had pulled out before the June 1 start because of refit delays and the couples' business commitments, McKeogh said.

Auckland to Denarau yacht race safety officer Sally Garrett said that some of the 18 yachts that had completed the race experienced winds of nearly 150kmh. The last yacht had arrived on Monday.

"Going up, all of the boats had quite strong conditions," she said.

Not a new yacht, the Platino had been "completely rebuilt and re-conditioned, and brought up to safety requirements", McKeogh said.

The Rescue Co-ordination Centre NZ said an RNZAF Orion aircraft had been circling the Platino on Monday, in "extremely dangerous" seas.

Three vessels that were nearby and called into help would struggle with the huge swells, Rendle said.

The closest, another yacht, was just over 6km from the Platino, the fishing boat Carmen Tere was another 220km away, and was expected on scene on Tuesday morning while cargo ship Southern Lily was 360km away, Rendle said.
    RNZAF Acting Air Component Commander Group Captain Tim Walshe said the Orion crew found the boat around 12.30pm.

"Strong winds and heavy swells had hit the yacht and smashed its boom. Fortunately, our Orion was already in the area so that greatly reduced the response time."

The Orion was on the scene within 90 minutes of the incident and called in the three vessels.

A second RNZAF Orion had since replaced the first aircraft and continued searching until nightfall. If required, the search would continue at first light tomorrow. The search area was out of range of all but fixed wing aircraft.

The RCCNZ's Allen said sea conditions were extremely dangerous and the remaining crew on board the Platino had advised that it was too hazardous to be on deck.

"With limited ability to manoeuvre safely, the yacht is motoring to New Zealand, but this could take at least two days... it will not be possible to search in darkness," Allen said.

- Stuff

there's a road near our place that has always been called the Bullock track.

I just plugged it into whereis and four popped up straight away, including one in Seaforth, over near Manly

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Nope, the 10% was around a triangular course - he said that the JR's deficit would be bigger than 10% to windward or around a windward and return course.

I wasn't saying you or anyone can't prefer the JR, merely musing that taking one aspect of one boat (like the problem of the Adams' sails and inner forestay) may not be a reason to prefer any one rig over any other rig.
    That was just my personal opinion. Gypsy ll is a fine boat and she does sail well with the BM rig. The headsail was a pain in the ass and probably wouldn't have been if made from lighter less stiff material. Compared to the JR I find the BM fiddly, expensive, and a lot more work before, during and after the sail...and for not a lot of extra benefit.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    - funny, I saw a little sign for sale yesterday when I was having a coffee that you need: "I've gone to find myself, if I should return before I do please keep me here until I get back".
    I discussed that with myself and we both agree that we like it.

Chopsticks. Another example of Chinese ingenuity. Simple yes, I'll give you that.

2000+ kms on the trip clock, and we're in Yamba. I'm leaving Evans Head for tomorrow's excursion - just tourism and memories. We came out of banjo country through Armidale, across the high country to Dorigo, down the side of the mountain via mule track (actually a bullock track as was kindly pointed out to me by someone who holds the memories of those bullocks near and dear to him) along the Bellinger River to Coffs.

My memories of Coffs are shattered. It's not like that any more. Not saying it's not OK, but I had to rewire a whole section of my head, just like I did when I went back to the piling berths at Portland. Mind you, the fish and chips at Coffs beat us, and we are not shy when it comes to good food. A Fishermen's Basket for Two, More fish, calamari, scallops, prawns, chips and sundry flavourings than we could poke down with a stick. I still have enough chips in a box here to throw out to power a cloud of flocking seagulls. Plus half a giant fish fillet.

We're at a motel at Yamba, right near the boats and the beaches. Slightly worn, but still standing up unaided, like my best trousers. Walkies time soon, then an early night I'd reckon.

I like Yamba, nice place.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Chopsticks. Another example of Chinese ingenuity. Simple yes, I'll give you that.
    Each to his own.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Each to his own.
    I know. I'm just being silly. Gaff rig is cool too. Doesn't point as well as triangle sails, better downwind, more weight aloft, less stress on the rig and the hull, cheaper, easier to fix. Even plastic boats have a whole lot going for them. There is great value in diversity and fitness for purpose.

Sad. I guess more info will emerge in due course. One of the things I least like about Balia is the main sheet, which runs from the aft end of the boom down to the back edge of the cockpit. The end of the boom is a bit forward of the back edge of the cockpit, so it runs from the boom sort of back and down, right where the helmsman is standing. When we gybe or tack it has a good go at ripping the helmsmans head off. On our trip from Tassie it did manage to grab one of the crew and smash him down across the cockpit side and onto the side deck as he did not lean forward far enough or quickly enough as it came across. With the hard dodger being where it is, I'm not at all sure I could move the sheet further forward. That would place it maybe between a half and a third of the boom length from the mast. Too far forward I reckon. I have seen a ketch where the mainsheet was secured to the front of mizzen mast rather than running down to the deck/cockpit, so that's a maybe. But I can still see plenty of scope for a loop of slack sheet to decapitate the helmsman. Perhaps I could beef up the hard dodger and mount the sheet there. That's probably the way to go. Maybe. Or I could just procrastinate some more....

The rig is down now , and tangled in the rudder.

Why not lengthen your boom so that the mainsheet comes down at a better angle? Moving the sheet forward on the boom may break the boom.

Rick

I think they intend to lift them off don't they?

How did they contact help? Sat phone, HF?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Why not lengthen your boom so that the mainsheet comes down at a better angle? Moving the sheet forward on the boom may break the boom.

Rick
    The boom end just clears the backstays as is. And there is the small matter of the mizzen. And even if the boom was longer, with the way angles and stuff work, there's still plenty of scope for grievous bodily harm in a gybe with the sheet attached at the back of the cockpit. The PO actually removed the mizzen, moved the backstays to the transom and added a couple of feet to the boom. I undid all of that. I agree with your concern about breaking the boom, but most modern boats seem to have the sheet attached around mid boom, and they generally seem to get by.

Ouch, from bad to worse. The news report I saw had a pic with the rig up, headsail flogging, and planning to motor back to NZ.