Page 844 of 1383 FirstFirst ... 3447447948348438448458548949441344 ... LastLast
Results 29,506 to 29,540 of 48386

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

A little too symmetrical for me but a stone tower on one of our Bald Mountains would be good..... a retreat for went the Western tribes attack.

or possibly Babington House, a family association.

Last edited by PeterSibley; 06-30-2016 at 07:30 AM.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

There's a Thistle on Gumtree

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbo...tle/1117279820

Doesn't spell it out explicitly but by implication it's a work in progress with some way to go. One of my favourite designs from the vault of memory. Not so much a good choice for a hard slogging boat to make a windward passage in, I guess, but nice none the less in a romantic kind of way.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

One of my dream ships too.... a bit on the heavy side now .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I have Matt and found it next to useless. I can't remember what type it was but I was trying to spray doors with one (like you to avoid any texture in the finish) and it just didn't throw a clean spray - all splatter and crap - it was sufficient to stop me ever contemplating one again. I took it back and bought a reasonably decent (though not expensive) HVLP gun instead and I find that much better for those smaller jobs (like doors) - I haven't yet tried to varnish with it but am expecting to do all my brightwork on the H28 with it.
    My only spraying has been with cans and I have never mastered the ability.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    The wrong type of roller Matt ?
    Quite likely. I think I was also pushing the pot life of the mix a little bit too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I have Matt and found it next to useless. I can't remember what type it was but I was trying to spray doors with one (like you to avoid any texture in the finish) and it just didn't throw a clean spray - all splatter and crap - it was sufficient to stop me ever contemplating one again. I took it back and bought a reasonably decent (though not expensive) HVLP gun instead and I find that much better for those smaller jobs (like doors) - I haven't yet tried to varnish with it but am expecting to do all my brightwork on the H28 with it.
    Thank you.
    It seemed as though the price was a bit too low on some of them.

I have a cheap HVLP system which does okay but requires thinning the paint. I am interested in an airless system for handling thick stuff like undercoat. I have sworn that next time I use high build two-pack I'm going to pump it on.

Does your new one handle fairly thick stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Thank you.
    It seemed as though the price was a bit too low on some of them.

I have a cheap HVLP system which does okay but requires thinning the paint. I am interested in an airless system for handling thick stuff like undercoat. I have sworn that next time I use high build two-pack I'm going to pump it on.

Does your new one handle fairly thick stuff?
    I'd say so Matt, even though I've only used Dulux Triple Prep and Wash and Ware through it so far in cool conditions, they're both reasonably chunky sort of paints.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Good result from Boatworks.
    Good morning Gary,

I have spoken with the manager regarding the work you want to do & as you are using a power tool with a dust catcher that is fine for you to do on the hardstand as long as you hire a drop sheet/tarp which we can provide for you at $20 per day.
    All I need now is a good power tool with a good dust catcher.
    Oh, and the money to do the job but I'm working on that.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Anyone used one of these, I wonder how it would go cutting back a painted surface?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dustless-...0AAOSw3YNXZ5PZ

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Anyone used one of these, I wonder how it would go cutting back a painted surface?
    Looks interesting, but it could be a $200 waste (by the time you add consumables). Drywall is the easiest sanding job you'll ever see.

I've done most of my sanding (except for bare-wooding the bottom) around in the next bay, away from boats and houses. It's a pleasant 1km cruise - pick up the Waterways buoy.... Do the job - having an 8.5kVa genset on board helps - and either blow off with the on-board air compressor, or use a garden blower.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Looks interesting, but it could be a $200 waste (by the time you add consumables). Drywall is the easiest sanding job you'll ever see.

I've done most of my sanding (except for bare-wooding the bottom) around in the next bay, away from boats and houses. It's a pleasant 1km cruise - pick up the Waterways buoy.... Do the job - having an 8.5kVa genset on board helps - and either blow off with the on-board air compressor, or use a garden blower.

This is not a job I can do from a dinghy Ian. The boat has to come out of the water for this one. I was looking on ebay at sanders and came across it and thought it interesting. I have two worn out belt sanders and a reasonable random orbital but I think a new tool for the job is the go. Maybe a decent sized disk sander but it needs to be a tool with a good efficient dust collector.

Actually the question should be what is the best power tool with an efficient dust collector for stripping paint off a hull?

Yes, that thing would be useless for sanding a boat.

All you need is a cheap vac from a tool shop and any sander with dust extraction. There are very cheap ones. You can get a dust hood for some angle grinders but they don't eliminate all the dust.

Rick

For stripping paint off the hull, try a heat gun and scraper first. If that's no good, use paint stripper. The quickest sander is a grinder but it's messy and takes practice to do a good job.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Yes, that thing would be useless for sanding a boat.

All you need is a cheap vac from a tool shop and any sander with dust extraction. There are very cheap ones. You can get a dust hood for some angle grinders but they don't eliminate all the dust.

Rick

I've got more vacs than I know what to do with. So a decent sander I can plug a vac into?

I've got more vacs than I know what to do with. So a decent sander I can plug a vac into?
    The best sanders are those that rotate but they're very expensive. A good orbital sander will cost you a few hundred dollars. Bosch sanders are the best of the cheaper ones but sanding a hull with an orbital sander is very slow. Why not contact Boatworks, tell them your dilemma, and see what they advise?

Rick

I've got a 7'' Makita with a soft pad you can borrow Gary. I can do a very good job with it but I've got 15 years practice on it. You'd need to fabricate a dust hood for it.... not an easy job really.
    Grateful Dead

The best sanders are those that rotate but they're very expensive. A good orbital sander will cost you a few hundred dollars. Bosch sanders are the best of the cheaper ones but sanding a hull with an orbital sander is very slow. Why not contact Boatworks, tell them your dilemma, and see what they advise?

Rick
    Good advice, they may have a preferred system for rental.
    Grateful Dead

Gary I have a similar sander to that for plaster but, not-on-a-pole-type, job. It works quite well on flat surfaces but on the odd occasion you tend to lift the edge, the seal between hood and surface is lost so you get a cloud of dust. Dunno if you can get serious aggressive paper for them either. 120 is the roughest Ive seen.
    Probably best thing I can think of for your job would be a Festo type Random Orbital but like Rick says exxy. Perhaps you can hire a similar one. Mine has a dual action head which eats anything put in front of it. You have to be careful which grit paper. And a good vacuum. Practically dust free.
    Still be hell of a way to wood a hull though.
    Last edited by andrewpatrol; 06-30-2016 at 08:48 PM.

For stripping paint off the hull, try a heat gun and scraper first. If that's no good, use paint stripper. The quickest sander is a grinder but it's messy and takes practice to do a good job.
    Yep.

... or --

Have you got a sandbank, out of the way....?
    Take a drop sheet, gas torch, scraper... and fire extinguisher.
    Prop the boat on the falling tide... burn it back... clean up and don't take any photos.
    Yep.

Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Have you got a sandbank, out of the way....?

Take a drop sheet, gas torch, scraper... and fire extinguisher.

Prop the boat on the falling tide... burn it back... clean up and don't take any photos.

Cost... zero.
    MSB would be onto me so fast my head would spin. You can't even drop a barnacle in the water up here.
    Besides I want to do this job on the hard because there's between 5 and 7 days work in it.

Well I've got 50m x 25mm webbing and 50m x 50mm webbing ordered. Big sewing day next week I'd say.

Gary, if you are planning on buying a sander and can afford it, go for one of these and hook it up to any vacuum.

https://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/me...FYKZvAodL3EFSg
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Metabo gear is very good. But is that one a disc sander or an orbital sander? To take paint off, you really need rotation. Orbitals are great for smoothing wood but not great at removing paint.

I have a Festool thing that spins and does orbital but I'd buy something like that Metabo as a second sander if it could really remove heavy paint quickly.

Rick

My expectation would be that is a random orbital sander, ie it does both spin and orbit.

I'd add a vote for the Metabo or Bosch sanders. I have a Bosch 125 and a Bosch 150.

The 150 (https://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/bo...der-turbo.html) has a locked-disc mode which seems to run the disc from an inside ring gear or something, so it drives the disc around as well as orbiting the drive shaft, if you get what I mean. It seriously chews through stuff running like that with a course disc on it, while *all* the dust can be picked up with a vac. The best price I found for the big one was $400.

The 125 is a standard random orbit. It's great, but I got the bigger one for a good reason.

...and +1 for the heat gun and scraper. That's how I did almost all the actual paint removal on my hull's topsides. The sander was for bare timber finishing.

I thought some more about this.

Gary, since your main criteria is getting this done on a budget, if you buy anything buy a heat gun. It's a much more pleasant way to do paint stripping than a sander, and not really any slower. I stripped at least three different layers of paint off my little hull in one hit, from the waterline to sheer, and it took about 4 hours per side. She's 24' long on deck.

I just got back from the Carbatec shop in Brisbane. That place is like Disneyland!

The heat gun really is the best way and the cheapest. But ..... it's no good if the hull is sheathed and it won't work on antifoul. Burning off is fine but not for plywood. Rotary sanders are great but messy. With practice you don't get any digging in.

I didn't know you could get any Bosch or Metabo that had both rotary and RO. I thought Festool was the only one with that.

150 sanders are particularly good as pads are available from 3M etc. whereas quality 125 pads are harder to find.

Rick

Phil called in this morning to collect his machinery trailer. The weather was foul for driving, hope he had a reasonable trip.

Thanks for the tip about heat guns and plywood Rick, I'm just about to strip what I think is oil based house paint from a club boat I am restoring. It's been let go somewhat, a few splits in the ply, a liberal use of silicone here and there, but she'll come up OK. Hardest part is removing old fastenings, and FG'd seams that have failed.

Heat guns are fine on plywood but you have to be careful that you don't overheat the wood. The plywood veneers can delaminate with too much heat and you can get bad surface checking. I use two methods. My favourite is to use a thin scraper, sharp and about 75mm wide. I lift the paint off in strips, like a chisel and with the grain. But if that doesn't work, I use a linbide-type scraper. You can only get the paint off properly while it's still soft from heat. If you let the paint go hard again, it's a lot harder to get off.

Rick

I've become quite good with a propane torch and scraper but only use an electric heat gun on ply, it great for cleaning up epoxy on ply.
    Grateful Dead

For what it's worth, I've had most luck with a small grinder, 4", and flap disks. It's easy to take off one coat at a time, and very quick. To be kind to the wood, I sand off the last coat. But then we can do it on the slip and let the dust blow away in the wind; be difficult to catch the dust if that is required under law.

Heat guns are great, but there's one caveat. If there's dynel or anything on the deck, you're likely to take that off as well. (DAMHIKT.) Take it e-a-s-y.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Metabo and Bosch, at least, make dust hoods for their 5" grinders. They don't take all the dust but a fair bit. They're mainly used for grinding cement but can be used with flap discs on wood. It's what I'm using to strip Pipsqueak's hull. I get as much paint off with stripper as I can then I use the grinder and flap discs. Still pretty messy.

Rick