Page 840 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 3407407908308398408418508909401340 ... LastLast
Results 29,366 to 29,400 of 49871

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Put a winch on 'em and cut 'em
    Perhaps but they'd mash a lot of other stuff I'd prefer not to destroy.

Quote Originally Posted by imagineero View Post
    How far north are you?
    Outside Murwillumbah, a km from the Qld border.....about as far north as you can go and still be in NSW. I've employed a very good climber before and will ring him again but think he may have retired ....he was talking about it last time we spoke.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

It's cool day for up this way, it's warmed up to 11C inside now but it's cooler outside, about 8C.
    Grateful Dead

Speaking cars... as we were. Just had a call from a guy in Canberra. A mate there had told him I have a Jensen Interceptor. He came and had a look last week. He wants it. He's coming back with his chequebook in early July. It's his 70th birthday present to himself

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Speaking cars... as we were. Just had a call from a guy in Canberra. A mate there had told him I have a Jensen Interceptor. He came and had a look last week. He wants it. He's coming back with his chequebook in early July. It's his 70th birthday present to himself
    Does he want to buy a nice little Merc? 3 lady owners from new, very clean and quiet, uses almost no fuel at all. Recent RAA test done. I can throw in some spares as well.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    It's cool day for up this way, it's warmed up to 11C inside now but it's cooler outside, about 8C.
    Sounds similar to temps we're getting here Peter, Bloody stone house is like an ice box too. getting a wood fire installed on Monday. Be able to burn some of your wood Jeff.
    Doesnt make me too enthusiastic for playing boat especially the goop takes soooo long to kick.
    BTW I like your logo too, Gary

Freezing here 3 deg, inside and out. No heating until I get the north wall clad and the fireplace installed. Nice when the sun shines!

Rick

15C inside now , the little Masport stove is kicking in .
    Grateful Dead

Quite chilly in Hobart. But not as cold as Port Stephens.

It's not 3 degrees now. It's about 10. 3 earlier. Nice day though - sunny, light wind, crisp.

Rick

About 8c outside, but a weak sun helps. Putting shelving in Anne's studio and fittings back on the Sabre.
    Friends are staying, it's good to have someone to be on the other end of the plank.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Spent the whole day with my nephew Matt changing the fuel pump and filter of Sheila's car. Most of the day on my back on cold concrete. At the end of the day there is not a single bit of improvement

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Bruce, with the sequence of not-very-good cars that our son has been through, I have found youtube and some of the make-specific car forums to be a goldmine of info for identifying the cause of all sorts of obscure problems.
    Like any goldmine, you have to excavate through a mountain of bs and unsubstantiated/oft repeated myth to find the nuggets, but they are there.
    Avoid the "I've heard" type threads, and go for the "I did" ones - youtube at least provides some visual clues that they have fixed the same problem you have. Google "(insert year) (insert make) (insert model) (insert symtom) problems", and see what turns up. Re-phrasing the symptom part a few different ways often helps, and be flexible with the year.
    Once you've found a lkely candidate, Googling that specific fix or faulty part will often turn up some corroborating evidence, or the exact same myth C&P'd across years worth of forums.
    For example, every forum thread on doing a Mazda 323/Ford Laser clutch says you have to pop the CV joints out of both sides of the diff, if you are just sliding the gearbox across a bit to do the pressure and friction plates (which lots of forum threads also said was impossible). I can tell you from personal experience that not only is it possible, but you also only need to pop out the gearbox side CV joint. Take what you find with a grain of salt, is all I'm saying
    Our last win was an indicator problem on the boys Accord, which every thread I read blamed on the flasher relay (albeit with some good pics of where to find it, and how to test). One guy said go for the flasher if you want, but he'd put his money on a loose plug on the hazard light switch. Booyah, result!

Pete
    Last edited by epoxyboy; 06-26-2016 at 12:25 AM.
    Like a miracle, all the trolls disappeared

A summery 13 outside here .
    Grateful Dead

I found this Mercedes forum very useful when I had my 240 D. http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/
    Grateful Dead

There's a Mercedes forum?

Rick

This afternoon I fixed a problem with a jammed hatch on a Golf via youtube. Clip on how to unlock it from the inside.
    The actual problem, the catch being motorised, was a dirty contact. Fixed with a metho soaked pad on the end of a long skewer. Much easier than taking out the whole trim.

Re 'mercedes forum' one of my step nieces is called Mercedes, and she could be the subject of a forum all by herself!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Bruce, with the sequence of not-very-good cars that our son has been through, I have found youtube and some of the make-specific car forums to be a goldmine of info for identifying the cause of all sorts of obscure problems.
    Like any goldmine, you have to excavate through a mountain of bs and unsubstantiated/oft repeated myth to find the nuggets, but they are there.
    Avoid the "I've heard" type threads, and go for the "I did" ones - youtube at least provides some visual clues that they have fixed the same problem you have. Google "(insert year) (insert make) (insert model) (insert symtom) problems", and see what turns up. Re-phrasing the symptom part a few different ways often helps, and be flexible with the year.
    Once you've found a lkely candidate, Googling that specific fix or faulty part will often turn up some corroborating evidence, or the exact same myth C&P'd across years worth of forums.
    For example, every forum thread on doing a Mazda 323/Ford Laser clutch says you have to pop the CV joints out of both sides of the diff, if you are just sliding the gearbox across a bit to do the pressure and friction plates (which lots of forum threads also said was impossible). I can tell you from personal experience that not only is it possible, but you also only need to pop out the gearbox side CV joint. Take what you find with a grain of salt, is all I'm saying
    Our last win was an indicator problem on the boys Accord, which every thread I read blamed on the flasher relay (albeit with some good pics of where to find it, and how to test). One guy said go for the flasher if you want, but he'd put his money on a loose plug on the hazard light switch. Booyah, result!

Pete
    Thanks Pete, we're already mining those fora and youtubers for all they're worth. There's no end of good material about how to do stuff. The bit that's missing is a service where you list your symptoms and a set of likely faulty parts/systems is given, and diagnostic of captured data from ECU. What we've had was advice that the issue was definitely fuel pump (mechanic) was exhuast leak and/or O2 sensor (internet q&a service) was probably fuel filter (forum) is most likely fuel pressure regulator - although doesn't actually have one as such (mechanic) to MAF Sensor (vendor of MAF Sensor rebuild service) to coil pack (forum) to full ECU replacement required (mechanic). What I'm trying to cover is most likely items in some sort of order, focussing on those things that are just good practice on an older car and should be done anyway, hoping to luck out with those low hanging fruit, hoping to see some change in behaviour that leads to a more sound diagnosis.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I wonder if there's a Golf forum?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    There's a Mercedes forum?

Rick
    German reliability aint what it used to be, the forums make for interesting reading. Did you know that to replace the starter on an A class (a relay on the starter is a common failure), you have to drop the entire engine out? Fascinating!

Pete
    Like a miracle, all the trolls disappeared

Bloody cold last night I wore everything I had to bed. Bad idea not having the extra sleeping bag on the boat. Got a lot done today but had to take Redwing around to the pumpout dock to do the sanding. It was nice to get off the dock though.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Put a new starter motor on the Subie yesterday. I was aiming to clean it up and re-use, but the brushes were stuffed. I found an overseas source for the brushes and holder for about $30. Then I decided the commutator was probably too rooted to be much use anyway. So I got a whole starter motor brand new off the shelf locally for $200 with a 2yr warranty. Can't complain too much about that. And in a Subie the starter's on top, so I barely had to bend my back to R&R it. Crappy original one only lasted 20 years and 270,000km.

Boats! I ... um... didn't do anything boat related this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Bloody cold last night I wore everything I had to bed. Bad idea not having the extra sleeping bag on the boat. Got a lot done today but had to take Redwing around to the pumpout dock to do the sanding. It was nice to get off the dock though.
    Because of dust, or the power connection? I use a crappy $50 Ozito vac on my little Bosch ROS, and the combo releases NO dust. None at all. It's unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    German reliability aint what it used to be, the forums make for interesting reading. Did you know that to replace the starter on an A class (a relay on the starter is a common failure), you have to drop the entire engine out? Fascinating!

Pete
    Fascinating. In the same way that the sports pages of last week's Port Stephens Examiner are fascinating. Or SBS's new food channel ....

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Put a new starter motor on the Subie yesterday. I was aiming to clean it up and re-use, but the brushes were stuffed. I found an overseas source for the brushes and holder for about $30. Then I decided the commutator was probably too rooted to be much use anyway. So I got a whole starter motor brand new off the shelf locally for $200 with a 2yr warranty. Can't complain too much about that. And in a Subie the starter's on top, so I barely had to bend my back to R&R it. Crappy original one only lasted 20 years and 270,000km.

Boats! I ... um... didn't do anything boat related this weekend.
    Nor did I. I wanted to go to Sydney for the Wood Show but had a bad cold (is there any other sort of cold?) and was forbidden. I suspect the real reason was budgetary but my protests were too diluted by litres of s ... , er .... , cold stuff.

Rick

Fascinating. In the same way that the sports pages of last week's Port Stephens Examiner are fascinating. Or SBS's new food channel ....

Rick
    Let's talk Tourags then... I believe the body has to come off to replace a turbo in the V10 diesel models. I still want one...

If the turbo needs to be replaced, how are you supposed to achieve sufficient velocity to tear the body off it?

There really has to be a forum for tourags.

Rick

If the turbo needs to be replaced, how are you supposed to achieve sufficient velocity to tear the body off it?

With one of those things, even without the turbo, I reckon it'd go fast enough to tear the body off.

There really has to be a forum for tourags.

Rick
    Yep... but they speel it funnie

http://www.clubtouareg.com/

Last one for now, I promise.

I actually got Sheila's Merc to start again today, and keep running. Sort of. It took all sorts of pedalistic gymnastics to pump the revs up, but after it got to about 3000 it started running smoother, so I let it whine at that level for a minute. Then it sort of ran OK at 1500 to 3500, no load, just in the driveway. Then it settled into a rough idle around 500 to 1200, but didn't cut out. I didn't dare take it on the road. I've used up most of my brownie points with the RAA for this week and another tow home might be expensive. But for whatever reason, it ran. Also, it didn't pop up a 'check engine warning' light, which concerns me, as at times it was running very rough.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Last one for now, I promise.

I actually got Sheila's Merc to start again today, and keep running. Sort of. It took all sorts of pedalistic gymnastics to pump the revs up, but after it got to about 3000 it started running smoother, so I let it whine at that level for a minute. Then it sort of ran OK at 1500 to 3500, no load, just in the driveway. Then it settled into a rough idle around 500 to 1200, but didn't cut out. I didn't dare take it on the road. I've used up most of my brownie points with the RAA for this week and another tow home might be expensive. But for whatever reason, it ran. Also, it didn't pop up a 'check engine warning' light, which concerns me, as at times it was running very rough.
    Don't worry, I'm only kidding. I think it's great that people can use this thread to get help with cars etc.

Just wake me up when it's over.

Rick

Rick
    Remember to connect up your remote-activated-electric-shock wristband and tell us the code for it, and we'll do just that!

Don't worry, I'm only kidding. I think it's great that people can use this thread to get help with cars etc.

Rick
    Excellent.

Any tips on re-profiling and re-covering a BMW Funduro seat?

Youtube has vids Ian.
    Grateful Dead

Remember to connect up your remote-activated-electric-shock wristband and tell us the code for it, and we'll do just that!
    Connected. Code is BOAT

Enjoy.

Rick

Classic first place finish in our division on the Tweed today, encountering some of the lightest conditions I have ever experienced. Persistence paid of for us , with many competitors being towed in or resorting to using paddles. The tide finally turned in our favour with some light Southerly's enabling us to cross the line.