Page 834 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 3347347848248338348358448849341334 ... LastLast
Results 29,156 to 29,190 of 47891

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Terrible news.
    Do you know the boat John? Looks like a Rom Holand design single spar possibly electric furlers on both sails. I just find it hard to believe such a large yacht with expirienced crew managed to run into so much trouble.
    The news story said the guy was fatally wounded when part of the rig fell on him. It only takes the wrong major thing to break to 'run into so much trouble'.

How does part of the rig fall on you?

Rick

Beats me.

"RCCNZ spokesman Steve Rendle said he understood the dead man was struck by falling rigging..."

It breaks at a particular height and gravity does the rest. Nasty chit!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

The Stienman 52 Flying Colours lost a crewman in the Sydney-Hobart around 1990 or so when he was struck by a runner block as the mast broke, I think. The loads on big boats are scary.

The reports coming out are confusing. They indicate that the boom was broken but it looks OK in the pics. The roller furling headsail looks to have come partly unfurled, though, and on a 20m boat if you get hit in the head by the clew of a whipping sail in a big breeze it could well lead to major injuries.

AS 29

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

To continue.
    Early morning and we turned into Canaipa Passage and apart from a few fishing boats it was peace and quiet, well apart from the throb of the diesel. With little wind and uncertain depth we decided better to motor and have the ability to hit reverse quickly if we touched.

With only a couple of hours after low tide the sand banks were still showing.

Opposite Stockyards is the shallowest patch. We inched forward and we were aground...back off and I suggested we try a spot a bit further up that showed deeper water on Navionics. Ahead slow as we turned into and we were aground again. David decided to try the main channel again and once again we went aground but we heeled as if we had touched the end of a bank. So we backed off and tried a slightly different angle...touch, touch, bump, bump and we were over. Not bad with a 5 foot draft.
    looking back with an air of triumph.

The bits of tree give it away.

Nearing the end, the southern end of Russell Island.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Gekko has been about for at least 3 years, I took a pic of her at Brunswick Heads I think.

Lovely sailing Gary ! I think JIM would get through .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    How does part of the rig fall on you?

Rick
    That is what I have been debating. The rig looks to be over 30 m which means big enough pins turnbuckles and shrouds to kill if unlucky, then you have radar spreaders other gear up the mast. The other question nagging me is ,did the accident and the man overboard occur simultaneously possibly caused during a broach at high spoeeds, or where they separate incidents.

Terrible news.
    Do you know the boat John? Looks like a Rom Holand design single spar possibly electric furlers on both sails. I just find it hard to believe such a large yacht with expirienced crew managed to run into so much trouble.
    I don't know the boat Tom , My guess is they were running under jib and the boom got loose. On a big boat like that there could be , would be hundreds of kilos in that ,including a rolled up sail.

It wasn't the mast - the mast is intact in the photo. I'd guess the boom too. The term 'fell' is probably just bad reporting. Do we know how they made contact JB?

Rick

This one came past at a very civilized speed.

It was not long after this that our destination came into view and we picked up our mooring. This was our neighbour though it was looking a little sad. Contrary to Wharram's wonderful drawings in his book there was not a singly naked nubile lovely in sight.

Just inshore I spotted this steel yacht that had a slight list and she was down by the stern a bit but I reckon a bit of TLC would see her right.

It was not long after we picked up the mooring that I became aware of deep throated growl, I called to David that there was a hovercraft coming. We watched it go past us but then it turned and came along side, which pleased me no end.
    Turned out to have a diver on board who was about to dive on our mooring in search of something he had left there when the mooring was replaced recently.

Once that excitement was over it was back to the mundane stuff. Take the horrible jib off and fight it back into it's bag, get the sail cover on the main, pack bags and garbage, inflate dinghy, get ashore, deflate dinghy and then carry everything a kilometre to the house where it was to be stored. The rest was meeting up with good friends who put us up for the night and then very kindly drove us back down to Tweed.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Lovely sailing Gary ! I think JIM would get through .
    Peter you are going to have a great time exploring that lot.

Well, the 3 remaining crew on the NZ yacht have been picked up by a container ship. NZ are still searching for the fellow who went overboard. Stuff of nightmares. The fellow who died was head of Brin Wilson Boatbuilding. A rotten event all round. Apparently they communicated by sat phone.

Rick

Hovercraft...the movie.

Anyone got Jeff's mobile number?

Thanks Rick.

One Tarte au Citron with Pâte sablée pastry out of the oven and two bottles of orange muscat botrytus standing by for post pub activities!
    Last edited by Duncan Gibbs; 06-14-2016 at 06:44 AM. Reason: wrong grape
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Great pictures Gary ,hopefully you will be snapping some of WB this weekend unless the new developing low doesn't dish out another cancelation.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    One Tarte au Citron with Pâte sablée pastry out of the oven and two bottles of sav' blanc botrytus standing by for post pub activities!
    That's me covered. What have you got for the others?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Should jump in briefly to say I can't make it. Work is just an insane pile of things to do in not enough time for the foreseeable future, and otherwise wrecked. Hope it's a splendid day tomorrow for all. I'll still be hovering around a little and I'm sure I at least still know the direction to the surface...

It wasn't the mast - the mast is intact in the photo. I'd guess the boom too. The term 'fell' is probably just bad reporting. Do we know how they made contact JB?

Rick
    The mast came down later I'm told, the boom came loose and trying to control that has caused the deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    That's me covered. What have you got for the others?
    It is all about quality not quantity when Duncan wets his apron. Speaking of quantity Nellie has fallen behind on her work schedule and will not be baking.

Today the masses gather at Blathering Hills to share goodwill and celebrate the recovery of our beloved. I regret that I'm unable to join in but I'm there in spirit and sentiment. Applause to Victoria's most vehement apostle for arranging the whole thing, to the swimmer for putting up with so much, and to Bruce, Ms Bruce, Jeff and Anne for travelling so far - and all Brizzies too. It's a great thing that you do! I hope you all have a wonderful day, leave Tumby Pub reasonably intact and don't suffer too much from the music.

Fantastic to see this and to see our Mr S doing so well.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 06-14-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Great pictures Gary ,hopefully you will be snapping some of WB this weekend unless the new developing low doesn't dish out another cancelation.
    Last time I checked the weather it was 15-20 knots and something like 80% chance of rain. Im game though.

It's looking as if it will be a WET weekend.
    Grateful Dead

Today the masses gather at Blathering Hills to share goodwill and celebrate the recovery of our beloved. I regret that I'm unable to join in but I'm there in spirit and sentiment. Applause to Victoria's most vociferous apostle for arranging the whole thing, to the swimmer for putting up with so much, and to Bruce, M's Bruce, Jeff and Anne for travelling so far - and all Brizzies too. It's a great thing that you do! I hope you all have a wonderful day, leave Tumby Pub reasonably intact and don't suffer too much from the music.

Rick
    we shall toast absent friends.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    It's looking as if it will be a WET weekend.
    If it is cancelled I Shall happily work on the boat. Something I have been trying to do for a couple of weeks. Just had family camping in the yard for two days. Had a wonderful time with my granddaughter.

I made the mistake of getting up early. Good idea at the time, I went to meet the bloke who made my kayak 30 years ago, and watched him surfing at Wategos at Byron. Now I feel like it's lunch time, and it's only 8:30, and we're wondering what to do for 4 hours.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    If it is cancelled I Shall happily work on the boat. Something I have been trying to do for a couple of weeks. Just had family camping in the yard for two days. Had a wonderful time with my granddaughter.
    We had the same including my new one year old grandson.
    Grateful Dead

Today the masses gather at Blathering Hills to share goodwill and celebrate the recovery of our beloved. I regret that I'm unable to join in but I'm there in spirit and sentiment. Applause to Victoria's most vehement apostle for arranging the whole thing, to the swimmer for putting up with so much, and to Bruce, Ms Bruce, Jeff and Anne for travelling so far - and all Brizzies too. It's a great thing that you do! I hope you all have a wonderful day, leave Tumby Pub reasonably intact and don't suffer too much from the music.

Rick
    And thanks for the good wishes from Brother Rick of Bloody Muddy Bay! We will indeed raise a glass in your general direction!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Wot he said +1
    Grateful Dead

Rick
    Hear hear!