Page 834 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 3347347848248338348358448849341334 ... LastLast
Results 29,156 to 29,190 of 48982

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Extremely high wind driven tide here too. Seems the Jetty survived after it's extensive reno's but the caravan park was partially flooded, again and a friend had his back yard under, again. He's going to regret he built there one day.
    They're the sorts of conditions that produced flooding at the Creek too, Jeff --

The south-westerleys bottle up the mouth of the Bay (and then the Inlet as well), and run-off from rain inland just gets bottled up. Then you get a high tide, and then....

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

I actually did a bit of work on JIM today after I came back from my radiation session I ripped out strips to cover the deck to topsides joint, tomorrow I'll round a few edges and start fitting them. It's good to be capable again.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I actually did a bit of work on JIM today after I came back from my radiation session I ripped out strips to cover the deck to topsides joint, tomorrow I'll round a few edges and start fitting them. It's good to be capable again.
    Brilliant! Good work mate.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

So today we sold the Astra. We got just $100 less than the target, and the buyer seems really excited. Very happy all round. Now I can turn my focus to selling the Subi and replacing it with something capable of extended road trips. I'll obviously do something really really sensible about that

Boat news: goanywhere came round tonight and we made a date for us to take his TS16 off his trailer. He has made his new sail already and found a source for his new mast. He's well on the way. After we get him moving forward at speed we will get together and get Romana's boom rigged.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Seeing we're talking cars....we're trying to sell our 2001 Ford Courier turbo diesel and I was hoping for $6000 but examination has turned up a dodgy gearbox, probably sincro in 3rd.

So, a replacement gearbox is $1650 + a probable $600 for fitting...something I'd do myself if I was a bit more energetic, I've done it before . Not what I was hoping for but at least I'll be able to sell it then!
    Grateful Dead

You can track us. Find Lavinda on Marine Traffic

Rick

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    So today we sold the Astra. We got just $100 less than the target, and the buyer seems really excited. Very happy all round. Now I can turn my focus to selling the Subi and replacing it with something capable of extended road trips. I'll obviously do something really really sensible about that
    Looking at a Mercedes-Benz ML270 turbo diesel.
    Paperback E-book

I've been meaning to ring you for a chat but I dunno...time just fills up with other stuff. Anyway Peter how's the treatment going, does it knock you around at all?
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Interesting single handing down there one would have to sleep with one eye open.

Good to her you made your way down to the shed this afternoon Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I've been meaning to ring you for a chat but I dunno...time just fills up with other stuff. Anyway Peter how's the treatment going, does it knock you around at all?
    It's been remarkably easy so far Gary, the chemo is much easier than it was a few years ago. I have an anti nausea medication and the radiation may be giving me a few headaches and fatigue but it's all much milder than I had been lead to believe. I've suffered no nausea at all. I've had 9 radiation session so far with 21 to go. It certainly occupies my days, it's up to Southport Surgical Hospital 5 days a week via Community Transport and the kindness of friends.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Interesting single handing down there one would have to sleep with one eye open.

Good to her you made your way down to the shed this afternoon Peter.
    http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...ipname:LAVINDA

The ships in the area tab brings up a worrisome list of vessels close by.
    Grateful Dead

It's been remarkably easy so far Gary, the chemo is much easier than it was a few years ago. I have an anti nausea medication and the radiation may be giving me a few headaches and fatigue but it's all much milder than I had been lead to believe. I've suffered no nausea at all. I've had 9 radiation session so far with 21 to go. It certainly occupies my days, it's up to Southport Surgical Hospital 5 days a week via Community Transport and the kindness of friends.
    If you need help as in a lift up there let me know.

Will do Gary.
    Grateful Dead

Good news indeed, Peter.

Mike

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...ipname:LAVINDA

The ships in the area tab brings up a worrisome list of vessels close by.
    Despite voyaging the East coast on a variety of cruise ships I had no idea of all the traffic.

Looks like Lavinda has pulled into Port Macquarie with the light wind forecast.

Looking at a Mercedes-Benz ML270 turbo diesel.

I'd suggest some further research and comparisons before pulling the trigger.

My only experience with the 270 Merc diesel was in the sedan - a brand new one. A colleague owned a Mercedes dealership at the time and I was staying at his place... got a lift to the airport. He got into it a bit and it went well. Not sure how it performs in the heavier vehicle.

I've got experience with both petrol and diesel X5s and they are a lot of fun to hustle along. Nothing over 198, so not sure how they top out. (oh, it's nice to get away from the Oz speed haters at times). Haven't had my wife's one over the speed limit, of course.

I'd suggest there might be a big difference in dynamics between the two... and after owning 3 Mercs (2 x 500s - an SE and an SEC... also another 560SEC) and 4 BMW cars (320i, 535i, M5 and X5).... It'd take a lot of tempting for me to want to go back to Mercedes. I've pulled engines and boxes, etc on both. BMW wins there.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Despite voyaging the East coast on a variety of cruise ships I had no idea of all the traffic.

Looks like Lavinda has pulled into Port Macquarie with the light wind forecast.
    No, still going but slow. Light wind and a 2 knot S current. Lovely weather though and very pretty as we're hugging the shore to avoid the current. Yes, lots of ships. Always at least one in sight.

Rick

Sadly, the subi is now on Gumtree.

Ian, thanks for the info/opinions. Will do the homework. Our needs/wants differ a lot, so I will probably not go BMW, but I can see why they'd be the choice for you
    Paperback E-book

Bugger that is pushing a lot of current ,are you finding it consistent or does it change with geography of coastline and tides. ? How are you finding the AIS, and are you using a back up navigation tablet ? Happy sailing

Current is less near the shore and where disrupted in bays. Using a chartplotter and iPad. AIS working very well. Good fun to have it really. NE wind this afternoon but still predicting NW -SW tonight.

Rick

How's this, mate of mine built himself a carport recently...yeah and? He built it out of solar panels. He picked up a 2 kilowatt grid system for around $50 a panel! Not bad but he also works as a volunteer with a small recycle outfit that buys old computer batteries by the container load. These are broken down and tested, the good batteries are rebuilt into 1,2 3 kilowatt packs that are good for around 10 years. They also use a 3D printer to make the new battery boxes. I'm going up to have a chat with them in August as I'm thinking of a stand alone system for the gas/electric fridge. Solar would save us up to $25 a fortnight at present and would possibly pay for itself in 2 years.
    People are upgrading their grid systems and the old ones are selling at low prices.

It's a lovely morning up here! Just off Yamba, nice SW breeze.

Rick

Impressive Gary !

Half your luck Rick.
    Grateful Dead

A very nice yacht's just overtaken us. Cutter rigged, called Pixie. Looks beautiful in the morning light.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    A very nice yacht's just overtaken us. Cutter rigged, called Pixie. Looks beautiful in the morning light.

Rick
    What? Trim the sails, dangnabit, they're IN THE LEAD NOW.
    Paperback E-book

Dammit! I was all fired up to change Vamp's name to Pixie. You mean there's already a Pixie?
    I still prefer Pixie to Vamp.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    It's a lovely morning up here! Just off Yamba, nice SW breeze.

Rick
    Great to hear your making good time and enjoying the passage.

What? Trim the sails, dangnabit, they're IN THE LEAD NOW.
    ...But take some pictures first

Wow talk about a change in the weather! Significant temperature drop this morning....I'm cold....brrrrr.

Pixie's been just in front of us since Port Stephens. We briefly overtook her last night. She's carrying quite a bit more sail than us. But we have a sneaky shore hugging tactic ....

Rick

If she's the one in the Register, she's 39' overall, built in 1988, and from Sydney. I daresy she has a longer waterline than you, so if you overtook her at all you did well.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    If she's the one in the Register, she's 39' overall, built in 1988, and from Sydney. I daresy she has a longer waterline than you, so if you overtook her at all you did well.

Mike
    All the boats seem to be motor-sailing at least some of the time, as are we.

Rick

Oh well.... That's just cheating, isn't it?

Also now loking at a Passat turbo diesel.
    http://www.carsales.com.au//private/...SSE-AD-3886446

It's a short list of two, the other being the Merc ML270
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/enfie...gon/1109412749

Looking at each car in detail over the next 2 days. It looks like each will tick the requirement boxes ok but with slightly differing scores, so it's really a bit of a quality check, a value check, and an emotional impact thing.

Only one silly offer on the Subi so far but over 60 ad views. I'll start ratchetting down towards the market after the weekend.
    Paperback E-book