Page 830 of 1423 FirstFirst ... 3307307808208298308318408809301330 ... LastLast
Results 29,016 to 29,050 of 49771

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Yes Peter! Congratulations on the milestone.

Jill Knight is pretty famous all right. I've always read her articles as I find them , there's a close link in our boats for a start. But Cooee has been away from NZ my whole adult lifetime, I've never seen the boat in the flesh. Where are those photos taken Rick?
    Looks like the Gold Coast
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I have one whinge about broken shards of plate flying around in the truck, just one whinge...

What if I just start calling it the dinky toy instead of the truck???

Yesterday I discovered that some utter arxewhole has done a parking-by-braille alongside and pushed in the passenger's rear door panel already. I swear one day I'm going to buy an F250, fit all-round parking bars, and go clean up the shopping centre car parks properly. If you read about that happening, it's definitely me. I've been soooo careful to make the shortest possible trips, to park in the least susceptible areas, to check out the cars next door, and to check out the truck on return, but somehow I missed this happening. I can only assume that when they did this, they panicked and drove off straight away, and I didn't check the passnger side that time because there was nobody parked there.

I'm just a boy from Taperoo that wants a nice car to see out his days.

head-desk,head-desk,head-desk,head-desk,head-desk,head-desk,head-desk,head-desk,
    That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Oh... meanwhile... I got the M5 through rego check. Phew... that took some doing. Failed at first due to some unplugged wires, easily fixed. Now I've got to try and reassemble all that leather trim at some stage... when the aches subside a bit. It was nice to hear that 7,200 rpm serenade again though. Reminds me why I keep the old beast. I get the feeling I'll be forking for a clutch slave cylinder soon though.

I'm a bit like that with our old Mazda Premacy, although it doesn't have the size motor that you have. It does, however, take an amzing amount of stuff in the back and never complains: gets regular services, and keeps on trundling along. While I would replace a small Nissan that we have in less than an eye-blink, I have no intention of replacing the Premacy. Great little car.
    You can never have too many clamps

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Looks like the Gold Coast
    Yes, Bums Bay - a few weeks ago and where Tom's just been.

Rick

[QUOTE=Duncan Gibbs;4914871]I might sign up Tom. I need to go for a sail! TMP needs a couple of bits done, like clearing the cobwebs and fixing the trailer ramps.

Real good it may give us a chance to reclaim first or second place after our dismal 3d last year with green crew.

I was thinking a 12.30 start at the Tumby Pub?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Tell me the date of the Tumby gathering again please Duncan.... so I can write it down. My memory has holes in it.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Tell me the date of the Tumby gathering again please Duncan.... so I can write it down. My memory has holes in it.
    Wednesday 15 June 2016
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thanks Greg, I'm serious , my short term memory has been effected.
    Grateful Dead

Truck packed, fueled. Leaving in 5. 2200 kms or so to go!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Andrew Craig Bennett posted this vid on my UK Pron thread in the Bilge. It's such a beautiful boat I thought I would share it here.

Grateful Dead

Lunch at Mildura.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Glen Innis. Be at the Hillcrest accom. tomorrow early enough. Going right past Gary's place on the Kyogle road.

On the couch where I have promised to stay for the rest of the day. I took one of the Kangas over to a mates place this morning to dig him some post holes for a very cool pergola he's building. All good, until water started coming upout of one of the holes. Yes, there was a pipe there. And a little later we discovered there was also a 3 phase electrical run there. So off home to get the excavator, to dig a much bigger hole to access the pipe and conduit for repair.

While all this was underway, a bloke came around to do an aerial survey of their property with a drone. A battery powered glider rather than a copter. So it did its GPS guided grid pattern , then he asked if anyone would like a shot flying it. I'm in, of course. Went great for about 2 seconds, until it completely stopped responding to the controls and went into a steep dive. Smack bang into a tree, where it broke into about 20 pieces. Oops.

So, the pipe and the electricity should be fixed over the remainder of the weekend, and I'm back there Tuesday morning to fill in the big hole. Which puts paid to the plan we had which was a family sail on Balia on Tuesday. (Boat content)

And hence my promise to stay on the couch for the rest of the day. Just not worth the risk of trying to do anything else today.

I put gloss on the topsides today! YAY!

I learned that the trick to a satisfactory paint job is to lower my expectations. I honestly thought I'd do an utterly crap job of it that I wouldn't be at all happy with, because that's my usual result with gloss enamel. I was looking for excuses to not do it.

But the show must go on, and I simply had to get some top coat on so I can launch her.

I got stuck into it with a foam roller and bristle brush for tipping, expecting to not be able to move fast enough to get it down smooth. I was pleasantly surprised. A very scientific splosh of Penetrol in the paint and just moving steadily I actually got quite a bit of it to look okay. Most of it has obviously been brushed, but a couple of (small) patches are actually damn near perfect.

The Penetrol was the trick. The very last bit - maybe a square metre - I ran out of thinned paint and sploshed some more from the can just to get me to the end. That section came out... textured... as I expected the whole job to look, but I got there, and a lot of it's quite a bit better than good enough.

Safe travels, those wot are on the road.

A photo doesn't really say much in this case, but here's proof... that I forgot to take the masking tape off before taking a photo:

Last edited by MattSplatt; 07-03-2017 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Fix image link

...and yes; safe travels, all. See youse soon!

Looks great Matt!!
    Safe travels Bruce and Jeff (it's Innes),
    Nice boat Peter!
    Erk - tomorrow will be better Phil!
    Out to the boat tomorrow Andrew!

Rick

Arrived at the West Wyalong Chinese Restaurant. Seems very good. Car not so much. Blowing smoke when I accelerate. Sad face.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    On the couch where I have promised to stay for the rest of the day. I took one of the Kangas over to a mates place this morning to dig him some post holes for a very cool pergola he's building. All good, until water started coming upout of one of the holes. Yes, there was a pipe there. And a little later we discovered there was also a
    3 phase electrical run there. So off home to get the excavator, to dig a much bigger hole to access the pipe and conduit for repair.

While all this was underway, a bloke came around to do an aerial survey of their property with a drone. A battery powered glider rather than a copter. So it did its GPS guided grid pattern , then he asked if anyone would like a shot flying it. I'm in, of course. Went great for about 2 seconds, until it completely stopped responding to the controls and went into a steep dive. Smack bang into a tree, where it broke into about 20 pieces. Oops.

So, the pipe and the electricity should be fixed over the remainder of the weekend, and I'm back there Tuesday morning to fill in the big hole. Which puts paid to the plan we had which was a family sail on Balia on Tuesday. (Boat content)

And hence my promise to stay on the couch for the rest of the day. Just not worth the risk of trying to do anything else today.
    HORROR!!!

​Phil, please be careful, I've lost one mate that way. A crow bar through 3 phase line .
    Grateful Dead

Repeating the safe travels message ....happy travelling all.

She's looking fine Matt and she's lucky you found her.
    Grateful Dead

"DBYD - Dial Before You Dig."
    And hope they've got it right. Present place the cable was in an entirely different place than the information stated. Found by accident.
    A previous place had the stormwater drain drawn going up the drive to the street, about 20ft UP the drive. In fact it ended about 2 meters shy of the neighbour's fence below us.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    What colour smoke, Bruce?
    Hard to be sure from in the cab, but it didn't look black. Having 'rested' the car for a half hour or so while we ate there's no visible smoke again now. No symptoms from within that I noticed. Running cool if anything, no sign of engine or oil light, quite light on fuel, no odd noises, smells or vibration, seems to have power, although I do drive it very conservatively. I'm intending to press on through Parkes to possibly Coffs tomorrow.

Back on dry land after a great couple of days afloat. Photos and story to follow.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

A bit of a day off from the black hole of Autocad, but back into it tonight, along with a final coat of white on the interior office sashes, which hopefully be re-installed by Wednesday. A ute of of firewood out just near Casa Sibbo chopped and stacked, although there's a little left in the tray than needs splitting.

Good luck with the veehickle Bruce. Hope it's nothing major.

Don't they use marker tape in SA Phil?

Looks good Matt! Looking forward to meeting you f'real as well!

John and Yang Yang will be there as well, freshly returned from Kiribati.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Hard to be sure from in the cab, but it didn't look black. Having 'rested' the car for a half hour or so while we ate there's no visible smoke again now. No symptoms from within that I noticed. Running cool if anything, no sign of engine or oil light, quite light on fuel, no odd noises, smells or vibration, seems to have power, although I do drive it very conservatively. I'm intending to press on through Parkes to possibly Coffs tomorrow.

Might just be cleaning out years of city living. Just keep an eye on oil and coolant levels.

First thing I did when we got the X5 was change ALL fluids. Oops.... just realised.... all except the diffs. Must do them too.

Did the brake fluids on the bike today. It feels much nicer with new chain and sprockets, new rear disk and pads. The stuff that came out of the calipers looked pretty iffy.

Fluid levels good but oil is black as soot.

Change it if you can.

Dial before you dig, and marker tape. Yep. But not on internal wiring and plumbing in old Hills properties. The 3 phase was a run from main board in shed down to the house, the water was domestic supply from tank to house. My mate thought they ran in a straight line from A to B. But of course they didn't.

Bruce, hope it's just old crap in her lungs. A bit of coughing and spitting might clear it out. Usually works for me.

There appears to be a distinctive change in our weather as the horde of Southerner's approaches our Queensland borders and shores . Understandably Duncan's request did include everything but the kitchen sink but by no way was there any mention of including your weather.

Happy Trails Guys n Gals.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Dial before you dig, and marker tape. Yep. But not on internal wiring and plumbing in old Hills properties. The 3 phase was a run from main board in shed down to the house, the water was domestic supply from tank to house. My mate thought they ran in a straight line from A to B. But of course they didn't.
    Sounds like the time we had an excavator auger cut the consumer mains up our hill. The driver was very lucky. No marker tape, less than 600mm deep and certainly not in any kind of straight line either.

25mm conduit over 50mm with 6mm single sheath, when it should have been 32mm with 8.1mm double sheath. Fifteen hundred bucks worth of repair!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Sounds like the time we had an excavator auger cut the consumer mains up our hill. The driver was very lucky. No marker tape, less than 600mm deep and certainly not in any kind of straight line either.

25mm conduit over 50mm with 6mm single sheath, when it should have been 32mm with 8.1mm double sheath. Fifteen hundred bucks worth of repair!
    Dial before you dig is a waste of time in NSW (very substantial time) unless the lines etc. have been laid within the last 20 or so years, and even then it's very unreliable. The Government etc. pretend to know where things are laid but when you go to obtain plans, they're rarely there and far too frequently, simply misleading. I assume it's the case in the other states.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Dial before you dig is a waste of time in NSW (very substantial time) unless the lines etc. have been laid within the last 20 or so years, and even then it's very unreliable. The Government etc. pretend to know where things are laid but when you go to obtain plans, they're rarely there and far too frequently, simply misleading. I assume it's the case in the other states.

Rick
    Oh, you mean the plans before the private sector took over from the government "service delivery" agencies? Yep... I understand the background.... come on over to the real politics thread sometime and we can discuss why.... and perhaps even how many billions were squandered in "public service".