Page 823 of 1408 FirstFirst ... 3237237738138228238248338739231323 ... LastLast
Results 28,771 to 28,805 of 49263

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Hey !! That's my Mum's Singer !

It's very nice to use.
    It will sew a double layer of seatbelt webbing no worries.
    I've even found a user manual in pdf format.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Certanly hope not,anything over 8 m puts it in my I am having a very bad day categorie. Just heard Byron Bay's wind forecast to 45 kn,so batten down the hatches Rick.our winds are down below 40 now,and I am having a well deserved cup of coffee.
    Peaked here earlier at 30 knots and now down around 12, I'd guess, but it's forecast to be strongest tonight so we'll just see how it develops. The only thing I'm worried about is the cover I have over Pipsqueak. If it goes, it'll turn the next door neighbour's house into a Christo artwork and the occupant will be unhappy with me - Philistine that he may be!

Mind you, it could be worth it. If he's inside, I could video the whole thing and sell it for a fortune to MONA. Ford knows they could do with something interesting there .......

Rick

On the look out for a box of accessories for it now.

Gary, why don't you start a business making gear bags for boats? Make them out of old sail cloth and webbing and a big, chunky plastic zipper. Decent ones cost way too much. If you could sell them for around $50 I reckon you could do quite well.

You wouldn't even need zippers. Just a flap with a couple of bits of Velcro would be enough.

I could give you some design ideas if you're interested and I'd buy a couple. It'd just be two loops of webbing, a round or square panel at each end, and a panel to form the rest of the bag, including the flap. Some trim perhaps around the opening and flap.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 06-04-2016 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Gary, why don't you start a business making gear bags for boats? Make them out of old sail cloth and webbing and a big, chunky plastic zipper. Decent ones cost way too much. If you could sell them for around $50 I reckon you could do quite well.

Rick

Not a bad idea Rick.

Up to 5.44 metres at the bridge nearby and no sign of any pause in the rain. Looks like we might be marooned the entire weekend!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Bumpy ride across the Tasman this coming week. Waves in the 10-20m range predicted. I don't think I've ever seen a 10m wave. Maybe in the Southern Ocean it would be okay as the swell would be long but in the Tasman, I think it would be horrible. I wonder if there's anyone out there?

Rick
    Ive seen 12 metres from the cockpit of my Tumlaren. Not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    This might be useful Gary. http://www.questoutfitters.com/plastic.htm#ACETAL (NYLON) FASTENERS
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    A recipe for sandfly repellent ....I haven't tried it but sometimes it's needed ! https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...c_id=17956&v=a
    same as the time tested go-to recipe in Darwin: baby oil and dettol.

I've also been told recently by a landscaping contractor (but haven't tested it) that a very good natural repellant for ticks is coconut oil.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Re wave height, I've seen 10m+ estimated in Bass Strait somewhere west of Gabo Island in a 46 footer, and it's not recommended even in a very seaworthy little ship. Surfing a 20ish ton motor sailer in the middle of the night alone on deck is a bit of a handful. I can't imagine 20 metre swells.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Not a bad idea Rick.
    And I can market them for you if you like, too.
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

The whole of the east coast, from Brisbane down to Tassie -- and it's following straight down the coast too -- http://www.bom.gov.au/products/natio...sat.loop.shtml

We've only had an inch of rain so far, and winds gusting to 21 knots. But it'll get worse before it gets better....

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Just before heading home tonight I just had to check out an interesting looking Gaffer called Coee just across from WB ,aboard I met a very interesting lady with a superb sense of humour called Jill Knight. We exchanged some cruising stories ,and she assured me she will tie a buoy to the mast if needed, otherwise just keep an eye on WB .

[IMG][/IMG]

Interesting looking hull Tom, what we can see of it.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Cooee was in an old issue of Cruising Helmsman.... I'll try to find it.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    The whole of the east coast, from Brisbane down to Tassie -- and it's following straight down the coast too -- http://www.bom.gov.au/products/natio...sat.loop.shtml

We've only had an inch of rain so far, and winds gusting to 21 knots. But it'll get worse before it gets better....

Mike
    Highly spectacular Mike. Just a light but consistent sprinkle all day today here.

I was wrong, I was remembering a similar boat but with a transom called Mahra, another Moreton Bay boat.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Highly spectacular Mike. Just a light but consistent sprinkle all day today here.
    About 170mm here and a full tank (40k litres) - so very happy with this bit of rain....a few more mm to top up the "reserve" tank (22k litres) would be nice.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Meanwhile - bought myself one of these during the week so have had a chance to unpack it today - not yet used it in anger but it looks nice:

12" with spiral head cutter. I really would have liked to spend the extra for the Hammer, but it was a lot extra and I can use the difference to put another slab down under the house (where I plan on building in a cellar)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I threw one out with all the accessories last year. Had it on Gumtree for $50... no takers. I don't think it went into the rubbish truck... someone snaffled it. This year's lot was 4 pushbikes, some trailer wheels, gym weights, etc... all snaffled.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Meanwhile - bought myself one of these during the week so have had a chance to unpack it today - not yet used it in anger but it looks nice:

12" with spiral head cutter. I really would have liked to spend the extra for the Hammer, but it was a lot extra and I can use the difference to put another slab down under the house (where I plan on building in a cellar)
    I'll be interested to read your product review Greg.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Interesting looking hull Tom, what we can see of it.
    Sorry best of the worst pictures must have been the rain. Cooee is a 37'Gaff topsail cutter NZ built, very old over100 years , registered in Mooloolaba.

Well, thanks to Joan's legacy I actually got my dream coffee machine today. I've restrained myself a bit on the practice runs, just so I can sleep tonight, and I'm really pleased with the thing. It came bundled with a grinder, a milk jug with a thermometer strip on the side, and a bag of good quality beans. I'm over the ambition of getting work as a barista, I guess, but I'm chuffed to be able to make a good cuppa at home.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

298mm since this time yesterday.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Ive seen 12 metres from the cockpit of my Tumlaren. Not recommended.
    I've never been able to measure the height of the biggest waves I've sailed in. The tape measure just won't work on water.

In my first Sydney-Noumea and a couple of Sydney-Hobarts I've met the sort of waves you measure in sentences rather than metres. You know, the ones where down in the trough you say "woo, this is a big one", the other guys say "yep, she looks nasty all right" and then you keep on discussing how big it is until you get to the top.....then you start discussing how far down you have to go.

I think the worst one may have been coming back from a Noumea, where I dropped a heavy ketch so hard off a swell that the log popped out of the skin fitting. Not the sort of thing I normally do, and one reason I prefer fin keelers where you can weave around and miss the hard bits.

Looks nice Greg.

3am. cold, clear, still.

Great stars.

Clear bright and cool up here, the rain is over at 313 mm total. The creeks are still up and will remain so for a while.
    Grateful Dead

[QUOTE=Chris249;4908828]I've never been able to measure the height of the biggest waves I've sailed in. The tape measure just won't work on water.

In my first Sydney-Noumea and a couple of Sydney-Hobarts I've met the sort of waves you measure in sentences rather than metres. You know, the ones where down in the trough you say "woo, this is a big one", the other guys say "yep, she looks nasty all right" and then you keep on discussing how big it is until you get to the top.....then you start discussing how far down you have to go.

I think the worst one may have been coming back from Noumea where I dropped a heavy ketch so hard off a swell that the log popped out of the skin fitting.

I also found damaging a boat by dropping of a wave badly may not necessarily mean one is encountering large seas. Most of my damage occurred while driving a vessel hard to windward in moderate sea conditions accompanied by moderate to strong trade winds.

Like one night closing in on Jamaica, woken by an almighty crash that prompted me to check the bilges, getting up several hours later I found the rigging flapping in the breeze due to the main recoursinal glued deck beam flattened and delaminating .

Soggy here but no wind. Wind got up to 35 overnight but dead calm now.

Rick

53 knots at the Heads, 51 in the Harbour this morning.

Biggest waves ? The tail end of the cyclone on Jenifer Ruth, a 42' trawler, Princess Charlotte Bay NQ. Big, the 200' Japanese mothership was disappearing into the troughs.
    Grateful Dead

I've found my cabin top configuration for Looe. I really like the hatch garage/dodger coaming configuration as seen on Sirocco a page or so back, so seeing it on a smaller yacht gives me confidence it'll work on a Dragon.

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

What a lovely fleet Duncan!!
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post

In my first Sydney-Noumea and a couple of Sydney-Hobarts I've met the sort of waves you measure in sentences rather than metres.
    I like that.

I can no longer believe what I remember at the time as the height of the waves in the 1993 Sydney Hobart so I no longer make claims: We had blown out both storm sails and I had watched the windex on the back of the mast topping out at over 70 knots - in that it was reading up to about 74 knots and then would just go "-- --" in the gusts.

We were coming off waves like dropping off the edge of a multi story car park and I really thought that at any minute the centreboard would just keep going through the slot to the bottom of the ocean. We were lashing down and setting up to lay ahull and John Quinn had not yet gone swimming from Mem.

Jordi and I had been struggling to secure our second liferaft that was lashed to the stern quarter and was being gradually bucked off like a sack of spuds on a bronco ride: in the downward ride we'd work furiously to try and tie it down - Jordi holding it down (he was a big guy) and me tying it down with freezing wet hands, then on the upward ride we'd hang on for dear life trying to keep both it and ourselves on the boat as it bucked at its apex, (and then any spare moment that I could find I'd have a quick spew over the side.....nice to learn that you can still function when you're sea sick).

But I remember after that, gazing at the waves long and hard and trying to imbed the moment on my memory knowing that no photo or video could possibly capture it, recalling how I'd watched Kay Cottee's video of her trip around the Horn and how inadequately it portrayed the wave heights.

So every wave I tried to compare it to the height of something that I knew and because they were so sharp and steep and close it wasn't too difficult to judge how high above the mast they were (or seemed).

The tallest ones which towered over double the height of the mast I decided were the height of ANZAC Hill in Alice Springs (where I was living at the time - this was the first Alice Springs yacht club entry into the race). In the middle of town, ANZAC Hill is a prominent feature that I'd seen every day for the past 15 years so it was pretty well embedded in my memory and the waves looked just like it.

When I gat back to Alice a couple of weeks later I looked at ANZAC Hill and I remember thinking "yep, that's exactly what we were at the bottom of" and I didn't for a minute doubt that the waves had been any less.

However going back years later and looking at ANZAC Hill again with the same view to remembering the wave heights in the 1993 Sydney Hobart?? I simply can no longer believe that the waves could have been that high.........

ANZAC Hill is 608m above sea level. Alice (depending where you read it) is about 583 metres above sea level.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary