Page 811 of 1415 FirstFirst ... 3117117618018108118128218619111311 ... LastLast
Results 28,351 to 28,385 of 49515

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Good work there Gary. I too wonder why you are getting rot. Am I right in thinking the decks were not glassed? So that water is finding its way through every little crack/join. Is the ingress from outside, or damp within-ventilation issue? Is it worth stripping and glassing the entire deck and cabin structure?

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    You'll need a good long span of expectancy. You've got such a lot of sailing to fit in yet, amongst everything else. If hope counts, I'm hoping so hard I'm making the paint curl up on the walls here. I was wondering about the timing of the EBS and the radio and chemo. We can come up pretty much any time if it would suit you to move us to a different set of dates. Happy to make the EBS date though...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Thank you Bruce.

This current radiation/chemo regime will finish a week before the EBS so all is well.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Good work Gary, if you ever need any flooded gum, ask me.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Good work Gary, if you ever need any flooded gum, ask me.
    Thanks Peter I do actually. Strips around an inch by inch and a half, two to three metres long but I'm not in any hurry. I will have to replace the belting at some stage. I'll call you later to talk about next weekend.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Next time you're out here we'll saw some out.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Good work there Gary. I too wonder why you are getting rot. Am I right in thinking the decks were not glassed? So that water is finding its way through every little crack/join. Is the ingress from outside, or damp within-ventilation issue? Is it worth stripping and glassing the entire deck and cabin structure?
    15 years under a rotting tarp didn’t help. None of the boat was glassed unfortunately. I am thinking about glassing the cabin tops and decks but would mean time on the hard.which I can't afford at present. There was a ventilation problem which generated a lot of mold. i now leave the forehatch open when the dinghy is on deck.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

No Youtube for me, Telstra dongles being what hey are.
    Grateful Dead

Thank you Bruce.

This current radiation/chemo regime will finish a week before the EBS so all is well.
    Excellent. We'll be there with bells on
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

No Youtube for me, Telstra dongles being what hey are.
    I'm operating on one now, but it's only used away from home. Expensive if you use it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I'm operating on one now, but it's only used away from home. Expensive if you use it all the time.
    I use 'em from time to time when I'm overseas. Not Telstra ones... although more often these days, I just buy a data SIM and run a wifi hotspot from the phone.

Dare I say, not in the slightest bit expensive. Cheap as chips.

I thought I'd post a photo of how I seem to be spending my time recently .....

Looking a little "Marvel Superhero" there Peter, pleasing to hear that the treatment isn't knocking you around too much, physically anyway (I can't really imagine what you must be going through emotionally - I imagine a lot of ups and downs).

'Looks like I'll be able to make the EBS now as the Darwin job isn't happening now so I'm really looking forward to catching up.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Gary - re the rot: chainplate leaks running back under the deck and between the ply glue layers? Are you glassing around them with the repair or have you left a gap to seal them with a flexible mastic like Fixtech or 3M 5200? (I'm assuming the latter).
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Looking a little "Marvel Superhero" there Peter, pleasing to hear that the treatment isn't knocking you around too much, physically anyway (I can't really imagine what you must be going through emotionally - I imagine a lot of ups and downs).

'Looks like I'll be able to make the EBS now as the Darwin job isn't happening now so I'm really looking forward to catching up.
    Me too Greg.

Yes there has been a period of ups and downs but I'm pretty stable now ... and happy and grateful for everything . Life is and has been very good .
    Grateful Dead

$10 a gigabit , pretty expensive tru.
    Grateful Dead

Great news Greg. Looks like being a busy day.
    I saw Duncan today, building above ground vege patches for his parents. Talk about wooden walls, you'd need a decent broadside to get through the timbers he's using.

Railway sleepers ? I know those are his preferred material.
    Grateful Dead

Not railway, but 50 x 200 sleepers of green (mostly Euc' acmenoides AKA White Mahognay I think). Had some help from Mum and Dads' regular gardener today which was a phillip for the project. Should be all done and dusted (or mudded if the weather turns south) by Friday.

Verknickled I yam!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Speaking of Philip and mud, (and boats) Ive been doing some work for someone nearby the last week or so. She's built a new shed and carport, and wanted stormwater taken out to the street, and some of those plastic driveway drains putting around the carport slab to take ground water round the back. The job involved taking 6 or so inches off the driveway as well as some trenching. Which was all good, until it rained, and the driveway, minus years of gravel and stuff, turned to sloshy clay. And then it rained some more. And now it's still raining. The only task left is to top off the driveway and side path with gravel, but until we get a few days without rain it's just too wet, and she needs a boat to get from the road to her house. Ahhh Bugger.

We're getting a bit of rain now as well. Four more post holes to dig and posts to set then the rest should be pretty straight forward aside from the fact that rain and electricity don't mix when it comes to fixing the planks!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Speaking of Philip and mud, (and boats) Ive been doing some work for someone nearby the last week or so. She's built a new shed and carport, and wanted stormwater taken out to the street, and some of those plastic driveway drains putting around the carport slab to take ground water round the back. The job involved taking 6 or so inches off the driveway as well as some trenching. Which was all good, until it rained, and the driveway, minus years of gravel and stuff, turned to sloshy clay. And then it rained some more. And now it's still raining. The only task left is to top off the driveway and side path with gravel, but until we get a few days without rain it's just too wet, and she needs a boat to get from the road to her house. Ahhh Bugger.

Dig , digger man .

If its any consolation it rained for 2 days here too, but I don't have one of them playstations on tracks to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Dig , digger man .

If its any consolation it rained for 2 days here too, but I don't have one of them playstations on tracks to play with.
    Just bragging now, there's no way to cover it up. We have a chook shed and 10 or so chooks. There comes a time each year when we need to clean out the shed and the chook yard. Usually a pretty nasty job with spades and wheelbarrow. But of course this year, the Kanga made light and quick work of it. Felicity asked me to lower the yard by about 6 inches, which of course I did. And then it rained, so we had a chook pond. Fired up the excavator and in about 10 minutes had a nice little drain trench, 30cm wide, 30cm deep and about 5 metres long. No blisters and no sore back! I like this thing

I want one.

I need your digger with a post hole attachment Phil. Reckon you could drive to the Mornington Peninsula this arv?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Just bragging now, there's no way to cover it up. We have a chook shed and 10 or so chooks. There comes a time each year when we need to clean out the shed and the chook yard. Usually a pretty nasty job with spades and wheelbarrow. But of course this year, the Kanga made light and quick work of it. Felicity asked me to lower the yard by about 6 inches, which of course I did. And then it rained, so we had a chook pond. Fired up the excavator and in about 10 minutes had a nice little drain trench, 30cm wide, 30cm deep and about 5 metres long. No blisters and no sore back! I like this thing
    A neighbour has one, marvelous little machines and I get mate's rates which is pretty good too.
    Grateful Dead

Yep. I reckon it was that one causing the problem!

...unless that's one you blew up in all your tinkering.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Yep. I reckon it was that one causing the problem!

...unless that's one you blew up in all your tinkering.
    Me? Blow one up? I've been known to do that.

Funnily enough, this doesn't appear to be in the circuit going to the seats... it runs alongside it, but I have a feeling.... and I reckon that I might be right... that this is the problem. After going and getting a seat computer today too. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for it. A mate has a shed full of all these sorts of goodies.

I didn't want to be trying to fix the insides of the seat computer. Crappy phone shot

Damn things aren't small... about 290 x 165 x 40. Presumably the passenger seat has the same under it too....

This whole problem seems to be from some water ingress whilst I was overseas. That's the next job... see if there's somewhere that's getting in... blocked sunroof drain perhaps?

I dropped by Bruce's today to drop a couple of things off, unfortunately timing was off and he wasnt home. But I gotta tell you he's got this major cute thing going on with his new cars.. It's like mummy elephant and baby elephant, both metallic silver, same shape, same badge, but one got washed too hot or something. We need you to do a photo Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I didn't want to be trying to fix the insides of the seat computer. Crappy phone shot

Damn things aren't small... about 290 x 165 x 40. Presumably the passenger seat has the same under it too....

This whole problem seems to be from some water ingress whilst I was overseas. That's the next job... see if there's somewhere that's getting in... blocked sunroof drain perhaps?
    Sunroof ? Say no more.
    Grateful Dead

Phil, do you want another pressure lamp? I have one with all the filling and fixing stuff and a couple of new mantles in a wooden box. I can bring it north with us for the 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Me? Blow one up? I've been known to do that.

Funnily enough, this doesn't appear to be in the circuit going to the seats... it runs alongside it, but I have a feeling.... and I reckon that I might be right... that this is the problem. After going and getting a seat computer today too. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for it. A mate has a shed full of all these sorts of goodies.
    It either is or it isn't THE problem, but is definitely is A problem. No harm in fixing it, then seeing what the effects of fixing it are. It might fix the seat problem, or it might highlight another parent problem that caused that burnout plus the seat malfunction. Maybe a short upstream of both????
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Phil, do you want another pressure lamp? I have one with all the filling and fixing stuff and a couple of new mantles in a wooden box. I can bring it north with us for the 15th.
    Well, yes, if you want to be rid of it. I think the one Peter is giving me is a non pressurised Alladin, rather than the pressurised Tilley type of lamp. I have quite fond memories of the pressurised lamps from our time in Fiji back in 1974, in most villages that was their standard light source.

My memories of them are 18 months under canvas as a young bloke and I got very sick of the hissssssssss. I prefer simple wicks , even with the lose of light.
    Grateful Dead

Have you thought of getting one of those Navman things Jeff?

Rick