Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I think I found him on Ebay Rick....
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    A cunning plan !
    Well it was. Then the day got started. Might get down to the boat during the week sometime!

Might go check Balia later today. For my sake. Withdrawals. Just because.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I think I found him on Ebay Rick....
    Oh, right! That site's the chandlery at LTP. Owned by Kyla. Her husband left her and she was left with a pretty hopeless little business. But she's built it up into a really good little business and does a lot through Ebay. It still struggles through the winter months though. I buy all small stuff through her. She has a pretty good range for such a small shop!

Rick

Sailing today. I just went out to the boat to check it as we'll have a visitor on board and the bloody thing was covered in swallow crap again! Even though I had the net across the cockpit. I think I have a solution though. Leaving the lifelines slack isn't enough so I'm going to put split electrical conduit on them when I leave the boat. That ribbed stuff. It's too big for the little buggers to perch on. I'm hoping THAT will encourage migration to another boat!!

Rick

Have you tried any of these gizmo's Rick? These guys seem to have a few ideas and, if none of them work, they also sell a caulking gun that you can throw at them!

http://birdcontrolaustralia.com.au/i...-products.html

I've also heard of electric bird wire/tape that they won't sit on (not sure how that works because I always see them sitting on power lines)....but that may be worth looking into

http://www.globepestsolutions.com.au...DFF8CEF33AF8FF
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Think of the little swallows as nature's gift. You can use lots of blasphemous and profane language at loud volumes at them, you can hurl a bag of rocks at them, and generally take all of your stresses out of your system in their general direction. It's quicker than meditation, less expensive than taking yoga classes, and as satisfying as a cold ale on a hot day.

I'm feeling like doing all of those things right now. I've negotiated for days using Gumtree instant messaging with a potential buyer for the Subaru. He was due here this morning, so I've stayed in when I have lots of other things I would like to be doing. No show. No response to my last message today asking to confirm that he might actually still be coming. I do have an alternative cunning plan for the car's future, and depending on what happens in the coming week regarding a contract to re-roof our house, the trigger for this plan may be pulled. It's an ingenious plan, with multiple winners. More to follow...
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Oh, right! That site's the chandlery at LTP. Owned by Kyla. Her husband left her and she was left with a pretty hopeless little business. But she's built it up into a really good little business and does a lot through Ebay. It still struggles through the winter months though. I buy all small stuff through her. She has a pretty good range for such a small shop!

Rick
    OK, I found her on Ebay! Good .
    Grateful Dead

Well that wasn't quite the day I expected, not even the amended version. I had a digger job to do this morning, which was all good until it started raining, and until I worked out my son had ordered 3 or 4'tonnes too much loam for the job. So loaded most of the leftover onto the trailer, took that home and unloaded it, then back to pick up the rest of the loam, and then put the digger up on top of the load. Digger got most of the way up and got bogged. On the trailer. It was enough on to strap it down and drive home. Whereupon message from Bruce saying again there may have been an uninvited guest onboard Balia. I'm actually pretty sure I just forgot to shut the forehatch but figure it's time to get some locks sorted, just in case. So in the end I did get down to Balia, and now she's all locked up nice and secure. Meanwhile outside is pissing down and blowing it's tits off. Nice to be home, inside, nice and warm, nursing a glass of red.

Getting the digger bogged on the trailer sounds dodgy ! I hope the balance was OK.... nasty things happy when it's not.
    Grateful Dead

A long day removing rotting ply and small chunks of gunwale. All the new ply is cut to fit and I should start getting that back on tomorrow. All done from standing in the dinghy.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Such fun Gary !!
    Grateful Dead

Our day was quite different to Phil's and Gary's

Rick

A sort of sweet and sour moment?

Rick

A sort of sweet and sour moment?

Rick
    It's very quiet.

Yeah, sweet and sour. We see the daughter a few times a week, as she has one of her clinics just up the road, the elder boy is around a bit for the next month... then off to the US to work. Youngest just moved in with his girlfriend. Took 31 and a bit years to thread the three through...

We're the opposite, my 16 year old grandson has moved up from Tasmania to be near his Mum. He's an excellent lad and very welcome, we get on well!
    Grateful Dead

Ready abo……………oops………..

Ricks day looks better than mine. Still,thinking about how to get the digger off the trailer in the morning. Assuming the rain stops.

We're the opposite, my 16 year old grandson has moved up from Tasmania to be near his Mum. He's an excellent lad and very welcome, we get on well!
    That sounds like very good news Peter....(?) What's he like with the hand tools???
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

We're going to find out, he's enrolled in manual arts, metal and wood but I haven't been able to check his skills yet.

We wrestle a lot though and he's strong ! There's only a 50 year age difference . We seem about even!
    Grateful Dead

So, when he has helped finish Jim, will he sail with you? There's something.

I certainly hope so!
    Grateful Dead

Rick
    I had a draft comment all lined up but I'll settle for ... I saw Bud briefly on the weekend.

I am happy. I have charts and spreadsheets of data from Sheila's car's computer. In the hands of a more knowledgeable person, these data would unlock the mystery of the recurrent P0170 ECU warning light. I'll take it to my nephew Matt and let him 'splain it to me. At first glance, it appears that an O2 sensor signal is oscillating out of range, causing an intermittent squirt of too much fuel. I do love data and charts and spreadsheets.

Bruce, P0170 Can also be A MAF problem or a vacuum leak. It took me a while to track one down on my BMW.
    I would rather have doubt than be certain and wrong.
    Richard Feynman.

We're going to find out, he's enrolled in manual arts, metal and wood but I haven't been able to check his skills yet.

We wrestle a lot though and he's strong ! There's only a 50 year age difference . We seem about even!
    Kez and I wondered if he was interested in wood working. Seems to me his moving up is good timing.

Today I start gluing bits back on.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I had a draft comment all lined up but I'll settle for ... I saw Bud briefly on the weekend.
    Yes, way too much outhaul. I was expecting more wind and got lazy.

Rick

Just having you on Rick. You know , the usual.

Rick
    Does that mean the windvane is operating ? is there a reason you're missing a batten?

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Bruce, P0170 Can also be A MAF problem or a vacuum leak. It took me a while to track one down on my BMW.
    Yes, thanks. Already looking at that. It can be anything in the air-fuel system, really. The first things we looked at were fuel rating and an exhaust leak before the first O2 sensor. Both eliminated. We've visually inspected the air intake end, but not done more than that on that end yet, as the code expanded for this vehicle seems to point to an O2 sensor. The charts show that sensor 1 seems to oscilate in resistance (and hence voltage) in a way that meets the description of the expected scenario, but sensor 2 (downstream of sensor 1) doesn't. It takes much longer to kick in, then runs in parallel with sensor 1 in its oscillations for a while, then drops out to a variety of steady-state voltages, depending on (probably) engine temp, then kicks back in for a bit, then out etc. We were lucky enough to trip the ECU 'Check Engine Light' while recording data, and at that time sensor 2 dropped off the scale from minimal volts to dead zero. The plan was to inspect both sensors off-the-vehicle but getting sensor 1 off is a real pain. It will need us to borrow one of Phil's hoists. We were intending to check the part numbers, and if the same, to swap their positions and re-run the diagnostics. We settled on rudimentary cleaning of S2 and reinstalling it, which made a small difference to the behaviour, but not much. So, next test will be to clean the MAF sensor and see what, if anything, changes. One step at a time. Then up on the hoist and swap the O2 sensors. When we have a good idea of what exactly needs doing, we'll start buying parts.

Boats. Nephew Matt is supervising. He has saved almost enough to buy his kayak for next season.

Sounds like lots of data but not much information.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Does that mean the windvane is operating ? is there a reason you're missing a batten?
    No, Ms T steering. No batten missing - they're reefing points

Rick

Peter are you allowed to drink alcohol?

Laying here on my bunk with a full belly and feeling a tad nackered. Tomorrow the new side deck Sections go on with a layer of 185gm fg tape over the top. The work is being done standing in the dinghy and my calf muscles are telling me about it. I'll have a couple of photos to show tomorrow night when I get home.