Page 801 of 1423 FirstFirst ... 3017017517918008018028118519011301 ... LastLast
Results 28,001 to 28,035 of 49771

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #28001
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Above flood level, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    18,473

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Okay, here's a riddle.
    I'm not bragging. Masina is the most attractive and popular boat in Tilligerry, possibly in Pt Stephens, this month. A few hours ago, I could prove it.

    Rick
    Seagulls? Pelicans? Penguins????
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

    The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

  2. #28002
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    3,278

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Well, it did happen and I don't want it to happen again. No pics.

    Rick
    Paparazzi trampling your lawn ? Some boats just have it all.

  3. #28003
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Okay, here's a riddle.
    I'm not bragging. Masina is the most attractive and popular boat in Tilligerry, possibly in Pt Stephens, this month. A few hours ago, I could prove it.

    Rick
    You got in a really embarrassing pickle and lots of people came to look?

  4. #28004
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,013

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    It wasn't corrosion that finally killed my 30+ year old Suzuki 40 hp... it was a failed hydraulics system electric motor.

    The corrosion issues I've seen with outboards have been things like snapped bolts - which is nothing to do with flushing.

    The only salt water issue I've ever seen is blocked cooling passages where the engine has been let sit too long and the water has gelled. It takes weeks for that to occur. Regular use is the best medicine. If used regularly, fresh water flushing is just a waste of time and effort.

    YMMV
    It doesn't get used as much as I would like and maybe it is a waste of time but I think I will do it anyway. It's no big drama to do.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  5. #28005
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,854

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Seagulls? Pelicans? Penguins????
    Swallows - hundreds of the little buggers. Took me two hours to clean up the boat. I thought they'd all gone for the season but no ....... But why Masina? There are plenty of other boats but they just love ours! Damn it!

    Rick

  6. #28006
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'm glad my guess was wrong.

  7. #28007
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,865

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    D'ya think that it could be something like a bit of a slow burn problem?

    Anyway, one piston not moving!

    Ahhhhhhh reeeeeeally hope that it's not baaaad!
    It doesn't seem that long since you bought it Duncan - what was the warranty period on the engine? From memory the Grillo was 3 years (may have been 3 years limited...?) for private use.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  8. #28008
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Above flood level, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    18,473

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Three years or 1000 hours, but the machine was purchased with 88 hours on the clock already. I was getting close to 500 with a six bounce roll down a 1 in 2 slope. It's seen some bloody rough country, so it might just have been a hill too far. I just hope the cam isn't bent, or the piston apron broken or anything too drastic. I'm expecting the bore will need a hone at least. We shall see...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

    The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

  9. #28009
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    62,353

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Probably too clean Rick, why roost on a dirty boat when a nice clean one is available…………..

  10. #28010
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,854

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Me too Matt! But embarrassing pickles are not uncommon. However, most people are polite enough to look the other way.

    You may be right Jeff but there's a very clean GRP boat moored right next to us that never has netting or any other recognisable bird scaring device, and never gets much swallow mess. Pipsqueak's like Masina too - I even had a swallow build a nest in the lazarette when I left the hatch off to air it out for a couple of weeks. Then I couldn't remove it as by the time I discovered it, we had little swallows in there. I had to run the motor so we went off down the creek with swallows following us. They were welcoming swallows when we got back and all was well but the mess in the lazarette was really bad for a long time until they departed. I reckon swallows must s$&@ about double their weight each day!

    I have another bird story. A fortnight ago in Nyngan, the motel had a bird cage with 3 birds in it. A lorikeet, a yellow bird that looked like a lorikeet and a brown bird that looked just like a sparrow. I asked the owner about the yellow bird and he said it was something from South America. I also asked him about the sparrow and he said it was a sparrow. Undaunted, I asked him why he had a sparrow in there. He said the sparrows just fly in and out after the seed. Sometimes I'm not very observant.

    Rick

  11. #28011
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,590

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Three years or 1000 hours, but the machine was purchased with 88 hours on the clock already. I was getting close to 500 with a six bounce roll down a 1 in 2 slope. It's seen some bloody rough country, so it might just have been a hill too far. I just hope the cam isn't bent, or the piston apron broken or anything too drastic. I'm expecting the bore will need a hone at least. We shall see...
    So, you have warranty?

  12. #28012
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,854

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    This month's Afloat magazine has a nice little article about a guy who restored a Mirror and circumnavigated Lake Macquarie in it with his little dog. Last month's Afloat had a story about a Mirror and a Sharpie that circumnavigated Port Phillip Bay.

    Rick

  13. #28013
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Above flood level, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    18,473

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    So, you have warranty?
    Second hand and older than three years.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

    The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

  14. #28014
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Would that motor on the second mower you gave me be of any use Dunc, it's 18 hp IIRC.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  15. #28015
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,013

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Off to the boat. On duty tomorrow and with any luck we'll see some whales.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  16. #28016
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,854

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    If you think swallows are bad on the boat... wait until a damn duck gets in and can't figure out how to get out. I've managed to rescue two over the years... one on Grantala, another on the adjacent houseboat.
    Yes, on is definitely much better than in..

    But off is best.

    Rick

  17. #28017
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Above flood level, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    18,473

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Would that motor on the second mower you gave me be of any use Dunc, it's 18 hp IIRC.
    It's a vertical shaft Peter, and the Canycom has a horizontal shaft. I'll just have to wait and see what the prognosis is. If it's a clean break of the rod with nothing major in addition such as a gauged bore, then I'll get out of it lightly. If not I'll have to go one of the cheapies that Phil posted. We'll see...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

    The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

  18. #28018
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,272

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'm trying not to become a vehicle diagnostics technician here. Failing. We bought Sheila a Merc A160 for next to nothing, with most things intact, and expecting for the price to spend a little (??) bit more to make it stable for a while. It has some body scratches and dings, very minor, enough to bring the price down but not structural. It's a cross between a go-kart, a shopping trolley and a Dinky toy car. But it has its good side, and it suits Sheila's declining physical capabilities, busted back so getting in and out of a low seat car is getting quite painful. So it threw an 'check engine light' fault code, and it sent me off to plug in the ODB II scanner thingy, which, amazingly, works on this car (didn't work with the Astra or the Subi). It tels me there's a fault somewhere in the air/fuel system. Stripping the plastic bits off the front of that system uncovers signs of excess fuel being chucked about, but consumption rate is still low, so maybe a fault at idle. Also discovered that a duct in the line had a poor clamp device which maybe possibly was allowing extra unfiltered air past the Mass Airflow Sensor. So, fix one thing at a time, replace the bad clamping device, clear the engine fault code, and run it with the diagnostic tool atached until the code comes back, or a week or two. Expecting to clean the MAFS next, then possibly replacing that thing.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  19. #28019
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    n.c. tn
    Posts
    8,023

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    When I travelled with a band waaay back we travelled in one of these………..
    alright.. catching up on the happenings on the 'bottom of the world', I come across this.

    you ain't _that_ old, Jeff..

    Are ya?





    enjoy
    bobby

  20. #28020
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,590

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I'm trying not to become a vehicle diagnostics technician here. Failing. We bought Sheila a Merc A160 for next to nothing, with most things intact, and expecting for the price to spend a little (??) bit more to make it stable for a while. It has some body scratches and dings, very minor, enough to bring the price down but not structural. It's a cross between a go-kart, a shopping trolley and a Dinky toy car. But it has its good side, and it suits Sheila's declining physical capabilities, busted back so getting in and out of a low seat car is getting quite painful. So it threw an 'check engine light' fault code, and it sent me off to plug in the ODB II scanner thingy, which, amazingly, works on this car (didn't work with the Astra or the Subi). It tels me there's a fault somewhere in the air/fuel system. Stripping the plastic bits off the front of that system uncovers signs of excess fuel being chucked about, but consumption rate is still low, so maybe a fault at idle. Also discovered that a duct in the line had a poor clamp device which maybe possibly was allowing extra unfiltered air past the Mass Airflow Sensor. So, fix one thing at a time, replace the bad clamping device, clear the engine fault code, and run it with the diagnostic tool atached until the code comes back, or a week or two. Expecting to clean the MAFS next, then possibly replacing that thing.
    Sounds like deja vu all over again

  21. #28021
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,272

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Sounds like deja vu all over again
    I like Sonny and Cher...
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  22. #28022
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I'm trying not to become a vehicle diagnostics technician here. Failing. .
    I think you may well have succeeded despite your wish not to become a vehicle diagnostic technician .....you certainly sound as if you know your way around that vehicle !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  23. #28023
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,272

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I think you may well have succeeded despite your wish not to become a vehicle diagnostic technician .....you certainly sound as if you know your way around that vehicle !
    I'm a better technician than a sales person. I just had a couple here with their 17yo son looking at buying the Astra for the kid. Nice people. I'm far too honest though - I did a full disclosure of the good and not so good things about the Astra. They'll 'let me know later.' I'm stupid, but I sleep at night.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  24. #28024
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Sleeping well is No 1.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  25. #28025
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,013

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Working on the boat this arvo and got talking to a youngish bloke about boats. He's interested in buying one. Asked how much I reckoned mine was worth and I said $30,000 but I'd be lucky to get $12,000. I told him it cost me about $25,000 to build. He said so if I offered you $20,000 would you sell it to me...I said no.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  26. #28026
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,272

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Working on the boat this arvo and got talking to a youngish bloke about boats. He's interested in buying one. Asked how much I reckoned mine was worth and I said $30,000 but I'd be lucky to get $12,000. I told him it cost me about $25,000 to build. He said so if I offered you $20,000 would you sell it to me...I said no.
    You're not done with Redwing yet. Tell him to come back later, much later.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  27. #28027
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Well refused Gary .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  28. #28028
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    This month's Afloat magazine has a nice little article about a guy who restored a Mirror and circumnavigated Lake Macquarie in it with his little dog. Last month's Afloat had a story about a Mirror and a Sharpie that circumnavigated Port Phillip Bay.

    Rick
    Well I'd be quite pleased to circumnavigate Moreton Bay, but it may take a bit of weather selection.

  29. #28029
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    3,278

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Careening WB without putting the portholes under ,as they say practise makes perfect.

    [IMG][/IMG]

  30. #28030
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    62,353

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Looks like she's just taking a snooze in the late afternoon sun………………….

  31. #28031
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    What a nice clean bottom!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  32. #28032
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,854

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Looks great! Nice to be able to do that!

    Rick

  33. #28033
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    3,278

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    What a nice clean bottom!
    Hmm might just be in the running for the next two regattas if I only sail well heeled on the port tack with no running ,or else take my chances and let her snooze on the starboard side for another twelve hours.

  34. #28034
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    26,968

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Damian James View Post
    Well I'd be quite pleased to circumnavigate Moreton Bay, but it may take a bit of weather selection.
    I've been in more ton bay once. I reckon we circumnavigated it just by staying the channel. Went on forever.

  35. #28035
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Damian James View Post
    Well I'd be quite pleased to circumnavigate Moreton Bay, but it may take a bit of weather selection.
    I've done it a few times in a small yacht but not yet in an open boat..... JIM perhaps .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •