Page 800 of 1378 FirstFirst ... 3007007507907998008018108509001300 ... LastLast
Results 27,966 to 28,000 of 48223

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    David's Halberg Rassy 38

Rick
    Nice!

There is one of those Delta anchors for sale on Gumtree (boat equipment)section, up here if you're still chasing it.

I have the SARCA now so I'll see how that goes. But thanks!!

Rick

I've been worrying about the fact I haven't flushed the outboard since I bought and trying to work out how I was going to do it. I can't take it off as it weighs about 45kgs and earmuff type flushers won't fit. So I came up with this idea. Many years ago I made up some waterproof bags for a dinghy sailing/camping trip on the Tweed and one of the bags still existed. So I figured if I slipped it over the leg and filled it with fresh water it would work, well it does.

Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Club rescue boats outboards have a hose fitting and they just connect it up and turn on the tap.

Is there a tap on the wharf Gary ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Well my plans for replacing the cars are going swimmingly, as in I've ditched and been tossed in for a little swim I put the Astra up on Gumtree yesterday as you may have seen, having prepped it as much as I intend to. This morning there was a puddle of coolant on the ground under the radiator, just to the right of the longitudinal centreline of the car. This is new. Mechanically I had thought I'd solved everything that needed solving. Botheration. (run that through a translator, it rhymes with duck). I've not had any much free time today, due to volunteering, but managed to do a quick and dirty test. Refilled the coolant and did a static engine running test (no leaks) and a short run of a couple of kms to start warming it up and pressurizing (still no visible leaks) so it's on hold until I have a bit more time to look at it. I've got a potential buyer coming round on Saturday late arvo or Sunday, so no free time for me. With a bit of luck it won't be more disastrous than an old coolant pipe to replace. I got the first of the two quotes for the house repairs today. Sort of what I expected, plus a bit extra. I'll wait for the second response before I start cutting my cloth of expectations to suit the budget. I've stopped looking for a car to replace the subi now, until I fix and hopefully sell the Astra, and confirm the house contract price. I must say though that I do like the Volve C30 and I've started measuring up the gear so I can go see how close it would come to being a realistic option.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

There'll be more gear. There's always more gear. Don't get a car that *just* fits the gear in it. Get a proper wagon.

And... I've nothing against Volvos in particular, but... a two-door? Really? For three people plus gear? It's the same size as the Astra, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Why do you need to flush it?

Outboards don't need flushing if they are regularly used. Run it at least every couple of weeks.... and it's flushed.
    Having managed fleets of outboards - I'm a firm advocate of fresh water flushing on a very regular basis (i.e. daily after use) to minimise the inevitable salt build up and rust throughout the cooling galleries.

Gary - it shouldn't be too difficult on the Suzuki outboard to fit a standard Pope garden fitting to your cooling system which'd make it much easier to plug a hose in than setting the bag system up.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Having managed fleets of outboards - I'm a firm advocate of fresh water flushing on a very regular basis (i.e. daily after use) to minimise the inevitable salt build up and rust throughout the cooling galleries.

Gary - it shouldn't be too difficult on the Suzuki outboard to fit a standard Pope garden fitting to your cooling system which'd make it much easier to plug a hose in than setting the bag system up.
    Agreed, if they are coming out of the water and sitting idle for periods... flush.

There's no way for salt to build up if it's in salt water and used at least once a fortnight..... or so www said when I looked into it a few years back. The danger is that gummy stuff that can build up.... if it sits with salt water in it without flushing (with either fresh or salt water).

Re the EBS - it looks like I will miss it again as another work opportunity has been offered shortly after I get back, this one back in Darwin. I should now be back in Oz around 16 May and heading to Darwin something like 30/31 May for a month....so am miffed that I'll miss the EBS but very happy for the work (particularly being back in Darwin at almost the best time of year).
    I might poke my head over the boarder while I'm home and see if any of you lot are up for a quick catch up anyway...???

But two and a half months here doing seven day weeks without a day off (other than two forced days when I was stupid sick) and it's been ridiculously bloody hot and humid - worse than Darwin in the build up......I reeeeeeeeeally need a break!! So I reckon I might take Kate to Unzud - Queenstown - for a week in July after Darwin to cool down.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I am sorry you can't be there Greg, maybe Hobart?

I'll be up for a second EBS where-ever Greg! Maybe throw a boat or two in at Fingal again? See who's about and when.

In other infernal combustion news I think I've bent/broken one or two of the con-rods in my Canycom CMX227 Allterrainasaurus mower today. Dunno how it happened, but I'm hoping it's only a bit of ovalling around the crank journals, or just a bend and not a complete Charlie Foxtrot, like a break anywhere. The engine is a wee-beastie; a 22HP horizontal shaft Subaru/Robin V twin cylinder engine, chain driven over head camshaft, that can drive the two rears in diff-lock, or 4WD and 4WD diff lock. It's done a fair bit of climbing up, across, round and round and down hills that are very difficult to walk up, but I've been pretty good about keeping it's fluids up. Maybe it's been a hill too far? New rods, gasket, rings and a bit of a clean up will be about $300 - 400. Whole new donk? Try $3k. It still kicks over, but it's sounding very nasty. Very, very nasty!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Larks, any advice for those of us on moorings where fresh water is hard to get?

I open a screw up high on the engine (perhaps an anode) and flush a few hundred mm of fresh water through the system which hopefully removes the salt, then spray the engine down with fresh. Is that worth doing or am I fooling myself? I thought corrosion was the issue. My outboard may go four weeks without running, partly because if I'll sometimes not use it to avoid flushing it.

Greg, that's good news about the further work. Hmm maybe you are in PNG. Hot and humid, nasty bugs and Bugger all medical facilities. But could be Indonesia or Malaysia too guess.

Dunc, that sounds baaaad. Parts may be only a couple hundred. It's getting them put in that costs. Unless you can do it yourself. Have you checked Fleabay? I suspect you'd get a Chinese knockoff for about $1200.00 I suspect also that the original is a Chinese knockoff. It seems a lot of air cooled mower engines are only good for about 1000 hours these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Dunc, that sounds baaaad. Parts may be only a couple hundred. It's getting them put in that costs. Unless you can do it yourself. Have you checked Fleabay? I suspect you'd get a Chinese knockoff for about $1200.00 I suspect also that the original is a Chinese knockoff. It seems a lot of air cooled mower engines are only good for about 1000 hours these days.
    The rods are $120 each, gasket set about $70. Don't know how much the rings are. I'm going to save a bucket load by getting the engine out and taking it to the workshop, as there's a huge amount of work involved in just that.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Re the EBS - it looks like I will miss it again as another work opportunity has been offered shortly after I get back, this one back in Darwin. I should now be back in Oz around 16 May and heading to Darwin something like 30/31 May for a month....so am miffed that I'll miss the EBS but very happy for the work (particularly being back in Darwin at almost the best time of year).
    I might poke my head over the boarder while I'm home and see if any of you lot are up for a quick catch up anyway...???

But two and a half months here doing seven day weeks without a day off (other than two forced days when I was stupid sick) and it's been ridiculously bloody hot and humid - worse than Darwin in the build up......I reeeeeeeeeally need a break!! So I reckon I might take Kate to Unzud - Queenstown - for a week in July after Darwin to cool down.
    Greg....it's great to hear from you! I'm so glad you aren't still crook....we were all worried about you!!
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    I'll be up for a second EBS where-ever Greg! Maybe throw a boat or two in at Fingal again? See who's about and when.

In other infernal combustion news I think I've bent/broken one or two of the con-rods in my Canycom CMX227 Allterrainasaurus mower today. Dunno how it happened, but I'm hoping it's only a bit of ovalling around the crank journals, or just a bend and not a complete Charlie Foxtrot, like a break anywhere. The engine is a wee-beastie; a 22HP horizontal shaft Subaru/Robin V twin cylinder engine, chain driven over head camshaft, that can drive the two rears in diff-lock, or 4WD and 4WD diff lock. It's done a fair bit of climbing up, across, round and round and down hills that are very difficult to walk up, but I've been pretty good about keeping it's fluids up. Maybe it's been a hill too far? New rods, gasket, rings and a bit of a clean up will be about $300 - 400. Whole new donk? Try $3k. It still kicks over, but it's sounding very nasty. Very, very nasty!
    Bugger !

Don't forget that walk behind mower with your name on it over here Duncan.
    Grateful Dead

The rods are $120 each, gasket set about $70. Don't know how much the rings are. I'm going to save a bucket load by getting the engine out and taking it to the workshop, as there's a huge amount of work involved in just that.
    If the thing's making a noise, it isn't just rods that you need to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Bugger !

Don't forget that walk behind mower with your name on it over here Duncan.
    Cheers Peter!

Is a bit of a bugger. I got it on the trailer and got it down to the mower centre, we chucked some extra oil in and I turned it over. The fact that it turns is a good sign, but it's a really loud tap-tap-tap which made Trevor (the mower centre owner) think it's the con-rods. If it's the crank journal ends ovalling out/bearings starting to seize, or just a bend I should get out of it lightly all considering. Anything else and I'm jiggered.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Cheers Peter!

Is a bit of a bugger. I got it on the trailer and got it down to the mower centre, we chucked some extra oil in and I turned it over. The fact that it turns is a good sign, but it's a really loud tap-tap-tap which made Trevor (the mower centre owner) think it's the con-rods. If it's the crank journal ends ovalling out/bearings starting to seize, or just a bend I should get out of it lightly all considering. Anything else and I'm jiggered.

Uh oh

Didn't you roll that thing Duncan, I hope you haven't hydraulic'd it.

In Marine Rescue we flush the outboards every time they are used. Everyone I talk to at the marina says flush. I will be up at the boat later today so I will check to see if there is a plug to take a hose fitting. To be honest I haven't looked.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    In Marine Rescue we flush the outboards every time they are used. Everyone I talk to at the marina says flush. I will be up at the boat later today so I will check to see if there is a plug to take a hose fitting. To be honest I haven't looked.
    It wasn't corrosion that finally killed my 30+ year old Suzuki 40 hp... it was a failed hydraulics system electric motor.

The corrosion issues I've seen with outboards have been things like snapped bolts - which is nothing to do with flushing.

The only salt water issue I've ever seen is blocked cooling passages where the engine has been let sit too long and the water has gelled. It takes weeks for that to occur. Regular use is the best medicine. If used regularly, fresh water flushing is just a waste of time and effort.

YMMV

Seriously Dunc. Check this sort of thing out. By the time a mechanic gets into your motor and tells you whats really wrong you are down a couple hundred wasted, and the news is going to be all bad Id guess. I have a Cox single cylinder 18 hp mower. Motor died a while back. I put in a chinese 16 Hp, perfect fit. Broke that when I hit a big rock. A while ago i found an old mower which had been converted to a go kart on ebay for a couple of hundred. Same basic motor. Bought that and its down near the bottom of the list waiting for attention.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PETROL-EN...UAAOSwJQdXCGdM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LONCIN-22...EAAOSwq7JT6ZZd

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Didn't you roll that thing Duncan, I hope you haven't hydraulic'd it.
    Roll? Did someone say roll? (Hope the pic works today)

Alls well that ends well though

Thanks for that Phil, but I've got the engine out and the crank turns smoothly enough, and doesn't jam, and I can hear the cylinders breathing in cycle. It's possible a valve is plucked, but I think the initial diagnosis is most probably correct. Off to the donk doctor this arv!

JB the only hydraulic system is the gearbox. It takes 7 litres in the tank. It's all good!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Greg....it's great to hear from you! I'm so glad you aren't still crook....we were all worried about you!!
    Thanks Peter, still getting over it actually - I don't think I'll really come good until I get home and have a rest. I had no choice but to keep going to work as I'm the only one here but there were two days where I simply couldn't move - partly because I was so weak but mostly because I couldn't go far from a loo.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Thanks Peter, still getting over it actually - I don't think I'll really come good until I get home and have a rest. I had no choice but to keep going to work as I'm the only one here but there were two days where I simply couldn't move - partly because I was so weak but mostly because I couldn't go far from a loo.

Spill the beans.... where are you?

Thanks for that Phil, but I've got the engine out and the crank turns smoothly enough, and doesn't jam, and I can hear the cylinders breathing in cycle. It's possible a valve is plucked, but I think the initial diagnosis is most probably correct. Off to the donk doctor this arv!

JB the only hydraulic system is the gearbox. It takes 7 litres in the tank. It's all good!
    Engine lies on its side, oil or fluid makes it way past the rings , engine gets started, fluid will not compress, loads up stuff like rods and bearings, one bung motor. Thats what i mean by hydraulic'ng a motor. It happens a lot with boat engines when water gets back up the exhaust for one reason or another. The death of many many marine engines for that reason, but it applies to others in differing circumstances too.

Engine lies on its side, oil or fluid makes it way past the rings , engine gets started, fluid will not compress, loads up stuff like rods and bearings, one bung motor. Thats what i mean by hydraulic'ng a motor. It happens a lot with boat engines when water gets back up the exhaust for one reason or another. The death of many many marine engines for that reason, but it applies to others in differing circumstances too.

Indeed

Engines are evil, horrible things.

Rick

Okay, here's a riddle.
    I'm not bragging. Masina is the most attractive and popular boat in Tilligerry, possibly in Pt Stephens, this month. A few hours ago, I could prove it.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Okay, here's a riddle.
    I'm not bragging. Masina is the most attractive and popular boat in Tilligerry, possibly in Pt Stephens, this month. A few hours ago, I could prove it.

Rick

SA Rules. No pics... didn't happen.

Well, it did happen and I don't want it to happen again. No pics.

Rick

D'ya think that it could be something like a bit of a slow burn problem?

Anyway, one piston not moving!

Ahhhhhhh reeeeeeally hope that it's not baaaad!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93