Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Looks good Gary, nice idea.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Good idea! But I suggest a lot more sheer in that hull so it looks less like an oyster punt.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    My sail has a small hole caused by a rat back before I launched. I've been meaning to patch it even though it's not tearing at all but holes don't look good anyway. I could just glue a patch over it and be done with it but I figure why not make a feature of it. Much like a sailmakers label, so I've designed a patch based on the JRA logo.
    Rat backs can be surprisingly sharp!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Or you could stick one of these on there:

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I'm not allowed to watch Utubes with a Telstra dongle .
    Well, Peter, if only you'd got an Optus one instead....

... it wouldn't have been any better.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I've just been given a 12 ft clinker dinghy and little flat pram designed to lay down low on deck, pretty much what I was planning on building. An old friend looking for a home for his old boats.
    Oh, crikey! That's bad luck, John. What can you do about it?

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

It's a pity when a pram gets flattened .
    Grateful Dead

Originally Posted by PeterSibley
    I'm not allowed to watch Utubes with a Telstra dongle .
    By Telstra, or by the network technicalities?

By the amount of data consumed .... it's worth it's weigh in gold ! btw what does data weigh anyweigh?
    Grateful Dead

The NBN Waiting Song

In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the dongle sleeps tonight
    In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the dongle sleeps all night
    The data weigh, the data weigh, the data weigh, the data weigh
    The data weigh, the data weigh, the data weigh, the data weigh
    Oh weeeeeeeeeeeeep, weeeeeeeeeeeeep, oh weeeeeeep, oh weeep
    Oh weeeeeeeeeeeeep, weeeeeeeeeeeeep, oh weeeeeeeep

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    You don't read that in the brochure.
    We learnt a long time ago that the 'best' anchorages , the ones which are right in close , are not actually the best. Its a source of amusement most years, some boat comes in late , snugs into the shoreline in front of all the other boats, places like Great Barrier they get plagued all night by mossies or sandflies.
    Tying up to the trees seems like a great idea the first time too, the next night you go out past everyone else and sit in the breeze.
    I've just been given a 12 ft clinker dinghy and little flat pram designed to lay down low on deck, pretty much what I was planning on building. An old friend looking for a home for his old boats.
    Tying up to a Coconut tree is not recommended either. Ken a Canadian country boy sailing on none other than " Prairie Rose" tried that one anchored out in Huahine French Polynesia, ending up with a whole cockpit of coconuts plus the tree.

Greg Chinderah Tavern might be another possibility they now sport a lovely jetty which might be suitable for anyone wanting to combine some sailing the river before or after the EBS.

So very apt .
    Grateful Dead

Apped.

I like coconuts but I agree that you have to be careful what you wish for ...

Rick

A fun blog .... well written too. http://artofhookie.org/tag/falmouth-cutter/
    Grateful Dead

Good score JB

Just back from closing night of James's solo fringe show. It went well and I'm exhausted. I have to get up tomorrow and go buy the bottom half of a wet weather gear set, including some sort of deck boots or similar something. Then do a week's washing so I have something to pack for Hobart and beyond.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Rats?

I was offered some rats today.

Rats on a stick

Fried by the look of them.

I was hungry, but I passed.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Based on the wind forecast for next week we are now looking more like going East Coast. Probably a day sail to Port Arthur on Wednesday. Then a day sail to Wineglass Bay on Thursday. Another day hop up to somewhere around the NE corner on Friday. Then a 2 or 3 day sail to Apollo Bay, Port Fairy or Portland. Rick on your trip where did you get tidal flow/current information-particularly interested in getting that right as we round the NE corner of Tas, between Tas and Clarke, Cape Barren and Flinders Islands., I'm playing with Navionics at the moment, which I have just found does show tidal flow.

I have all my gear for the Balia delivery now except good wet weather deck footwear. I'm having head issues deciding what's the best compromise. Ideally I'll end up with something that will keep me on deck should the wind come up at night, and also be useful and manageable enough to be SCAMP wear in sloppy gulf water. Not too much like lead-boot body-sinkers, not too much like beach bar poser shoes. And affordable would be good, and well made. Bah.

I baulked at the North Sea Trawlerman style boots at $500. Beside, how could I wear them without singing sea shanties all the time ? I'm starting to push my luck with the sea shanty thing and I don't fancy a swim. The $80 neoprene version of those were ok, except the sizes. Either a too-tight right foot going numb, or a too sloppy left foot tripping me up. They wouldn't split a couple of pairs for me. Bah.

Dinghy sailing boots? They shouldn't be on long enough to rot my feet I guess. Leather deck shoes with good non-making soles and a spray of light oil before I go?

I'm over thinking it again, of course. On Kathleen, which was very cold and wet and wet and wet and windy and wet at times, I had cheap sneakers with very good soles, and I threw them out after the trip. On Serena, good sneakers and two pairs of socks, cotton plus woolen, which got wet so I dried them all out and kept using them.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I'll be interested in your solution.... Dunlop Volleys are cheap, grip well on tin roofs and have a white sole.

They do get very wet.
    Grateful Dead

I'll be interested in your solution.... Dunlop Volleys are cheap, grip well on tin roofs and have a white sole.

They do get very wet.
    The Burkes MR give us are okay.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

They do get very wet.
    They do a good job, too. Maybe with some sort of waterproofing - something not silicone based, maybe a light citrus oil or lanolin spray??
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I have all my gear for the Balia delivery now except good wet weather deck footwear. I'm having head issues deciding what's the best compromise. Ideally I'll end up with something that will keep me on deck should the wind come up at night, and also be useful and manageable enough to be SCAMP wear in sloppy gulf water. Not too much like lead-boot body-sinkers, not too much like beach bar poser shoes. And affordable would be good, and well made. Bah.

I baulked at the North Sea Trawlerman style boots at $500. Beside, how could I wear them without singing sea shanties all the time ? I'm starting to push my luck with the sea shanty thing and I don't fancy a swim. The $80 neoprene version of those were ok, except the sizes. Either a too-tight right foot going numb, or a too sloppy left foot tripping me up. They wouldn't split a couple of pairs for me. Bah.

Dinghy sailing boots? They shouldn't be on long enough to rot my feet I guess. Leather deck shoes with good non-making soles and a spray of light oil before I go?

I'm over thinking it again, of course. On Kathleen, which was very cold and wet and wet and wet and windy and wet at times, I had cheap sneakers with very good soles, and I threw them out after the trip. On Serena, good sneakers and two pairs of socks, cotton plus woolen, which got wet so I dried them all out and kept using them.
    Definitely Dunlop Volleys. Buy two pairs for less than the price of one and you can dry one pair while you wear the others. Buy them a bit big as they shrink when wet.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Based on the wind forecast for next week we are now looking more like going East Coast. Probably a day sail to Port Arthur on Wednesday. Then a day sail to Wineglass Bay on Thursday. Another day hop up to somewhere around the NE corner on Friday. Then a 2 or 3 day sail to Apollo Bay, Port Fairy or Portland. Rick on your trip where did you get tidal flow/current information-particularly interested in getting that right as we round the NE corner of Tas, between Tas and Clarke, Cape Barren and Flinders Islands., I'm playing with Navionics at the moment, which I have just found does show tidal flow.
    Graeme uses various data sources and incorporates it into Max Sea routing software. I'm not sure what the source of tidal info was but it was one of the standard chart packages - Navionics or C-Map.

It is fairly straightforward where you're going. The current is flowing either to the east or to the south, if I remember correctly. So you should be able to work it out from Navionics and a tide chart. I'll also have a look and see what I can find out and I'll see what David used when he did pretty much the same trip ypu're doing at this time last year.

Rick

If you're like me you'll replace the laces with 1/4'' flat elastic , it makes them fast to put on and take off and they aren't loose either.

I waterproof my old Belstaff bike jacket with a linseed oil and teribrin ( spelling?) mix then dress it with beeswax mix but takes a while to go off but it is worth experimenting with , probably on an old shirt before attacking a good shoe or garment. But it does work very well on a close tight weave cotton.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Graeme uses various data sources and incorporates it into Max Sea routing software. I'm not sure what the source of tidal info was but it was one of the standard chart packages - Navionics or C-Map.

It is fairly straightforward where you're going. The current is flowing either to the east or to the south, if I remember correctly. So you should be able to work it out from Navionics and a tide chart. I'll also have a look and see what I can find out and I'll see what David used when he did pretty much the same trip ypu're doing at this time last year.

Rick
    Yep I think I have it pretty well sorted now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Definitely Dunlop Volleys. Buy two pairs for less than the price of one and you can dry one pair while you wear the others. Buy them a bit big as they shrink when wet.

Rick
    Got two pairs for less than RRP of one. This trip is worth it just for the flat-footed Dunlopian foot feeling. Even Frankk is happy.

So, unlikely as it is that we'll see totally foul weather, if we do I'm better prepared than I've been on any previous trip.

I'm told that this will not look quite so stupid in a 45 knotter in the rain. I lasted just enough time to get a photo snapped before I passed out with the heat.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post

If you think you're going to get wet, get yourself a pair of something like these Bruce, they don't need to be expensive, just keep your feet dry. And they're perfectly fine even if you don't think you're going to get wet.... :
    https://www.yachtworks.com.au/produc...-Sea-Boot.html

I've had mine since about 1992 and have only just thrown them out as they've finally started to perish....though when I bought mine I think they were about $30ish

(I'm sure you won't want your Dunlop Volleys on in 45 knots in the rain......and it's not like you're doing the Volvo 'round the world where you have to minimise weight and personal items)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Unloaded ! $130 worth of flooded gum.

Grateful Dead

Unloaded ! $130 worth of flooded gum.
    ooh...wood envy!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

nice flitches!
    Xanthorrea

Best go for a walk in some mud Bruce. Those shoes are blinding.

I find it too hard to post pics here from a phone or iPad. But I am putting some on Facebook. So if anyone wants to find me and be my friend on Facebook please do.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Yep I think I have it pretty well sorted now. Thanks.
    You could go to www.tidetech.org and open an account on a `try it' basis. They've just released tidal flow modelling for Bass Strait sand it looks very good.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    If you think you're going to get wet, get yourself a pair of something like these Bruce, they don't need to be expensive, just keep your feet dry. And they're perfectly fine even if you don't think you're going to get wet.... :
    https://www.yachtworks.com.au/produc...-Sea-Boot.html

I've had mine since about 1992 and have only just thrown them out as they've finally started to perish....though when I bought mine I think they were about $30ish

(I'm sure you won't want your Dunlop Volleys on in 45 knots in the rain......and it's not like you're doing the Volvo 'round the world where you have to minimise weight and personal items)
    Actually, when it's really blowing and wet, that's when I value my Volleys the most. All the other footwear I've tried gives me that insecure slide feeling but Volleys don't. I've got some of those Burke boots and I reckon they're probably the best thing when it's raining hard but when the boat is heeling severely and the seas is heaving, I like my Volleys!

Rick

Just like on a wet roof .
    Grateful Dead