Page 799 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 2996997497897987998008098498991299 ... LastLast
Results 27,931 to 27,965 of 49866

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That was the year I rode my Suzuki 70 step thru from Brisbane to Hobart in August ,yep, we was tuff then.
    Can you tell more of that story please Pete?

We rode our BMW up through the Alpine Way in summer once, but that was a walk in the park - well apart from the bit up the top with ice on the road on a sweeping right hander, and all the hikers that jumped off the road edge into the graded slush, as we wobbled around the bend, standing on the footpegs to try not to fall over, at around 60 kph.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

OK, that was the year I thought it would be good to see a bit of Tasmania and as I had recently bought my Suzuki it seems (almost) logical to ride. I built a wooden box for the rear, loaded my stuff and took off. Cruising speed was about 75 km and it took me 3 1/2 days to make it to Melbourne and of course it had been raining all through Victoria and camping on the side of the road was impossible due to the mud.

It all got a bit difficult one night, trying to find somewhere dry to lay out my sleeping bag. I was somewhere in Victoria about 200 km North of Melbourne when I came across a MainRoads camp, a kind of smoko shelter with a huge pile of timber pushed up out the front and burning fiercely ....all dry and warm as toast. I parked the bike out the front, rolled out my sleeping bag on a bench and went to sleep. That would have been about midnight.

I was politely woken the next morning at about 8am by a wonderfully hospitable MainRoads worker with a cup of tea. Joy !

I made it to Melbourne and the ferry the next day then off to Hobart. There is subtle difference between the winter temperatures in Brisbane and Hobart, especially in August. By the time I got to Hobart and rather chilled I had a nice little flu setting in and decided that further touring might prove suicidal. I chickened out and loaded the Suzuki onto a coastal ship and sent her back to Brisbane.

I followed, hitch hiking, a week later when the flu had waned. I may have been tuff but the flu was tuffer ....decent winter bike gear would have helped a lot!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

While spending some quality time with Nellie in Cairns I came across' Sorlandet" said to be oldest operating full rigged ship from Norway.

The date on the gang plank suggested built in 1923, speaking to one of the 15 permanent crew on board I was informed she displaces 499 tons is 64.5 m sparred length, and is able to achieve 14 knots with her 560 HP engine. She sails up to 17 knots is able to sail faster but the hull is not made to withstand those higher speeds. Presently enroute to Indonesia.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 05-03-2016 at 02:53 AM.

[IMG][/IMG]

Extremely frustrating few hours trying to sew up some fender strips for Beetle the dinghy this arvo...thread snapping, thread fraying, thread jamming, bobbin running out and bobbin winder not working. Maybe $15 was a bit too cheap.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

[QUOTE=The Bigfella;4877430]Lotta strings there.... Looks good though.

Not sure how many strings to get up 27 sails ,but I240 square meters sounds massive.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Extremely frustrating few hours trying to sew up some fender strips for Beetle the dinghy this arvo...thread snapping, thread fraying, thread jamming, bobbin running out and bobbin winder not working. Maybe $15 was a bit too cheap.
    Or a bit too expensive, depending on how you think about it.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

A pity about that main yard, Tom.... But I guess it's only aesthetics after all.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    What happened to the Subaru, Bruce?
    It's parked out the front when I'm not driving it. My need has changed to include a car that we can use for touring our son's show to regional performances, extended over about 2 months at a time, 3 people plus gear. The subaru is too tired to be abe to do that with any real certainty that we'll get there and back without a breakdown. It goes ok for periods of time then backslides and responds to giving it more attention, but it's a short-haul car at this stage of its life, and to be honest I still haven't figured out why it sort of gradually slides backwards as far as performance goes. I could drop a recon (2.2 or whatever litre) motor into it but for all that I'd be dropping money into it I'd never get back. Anyway, Aunt Joan's legacy has left us with enough dosh to do some overdue house maintenance with enough left over to do something about a car to meet the need, so I'm polishing up the subi and puting her on gumtree, and looking for a touring + town car. The timing, hopefully, wil see us doing a try-out of the replacement car by driving over to help move Sibbo's boat. So I'm looking around at cars again with a bigger budget than last time, but still not as much as I'd love to spend

Feel free to tell me what I should be looking at. I looked at two Merc B180 diesels today, but not tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian James View Post
    Duncan, I've just caught up on your Mirror restoration thread and can only say... you're insane! At least, that's what I said aloud when I got the bit where you made the supports for the breasthooks. You've done an amazing job both 6 years ago and last year. Looking forward to this EBS!

Wabi-Sabi will not need so much repair to the hull. Where there had been holes (previous owner put her onto rocks) has already been repaired, albeit leaving a squarish patch outside the hull that I believe is chopped glass mat. I'm more than happy to fair over that, and I read your remarks regarding Bote Cote versus Nordglass with interest (used all Bote Cote epoxies so far on the other boat, and have used the clear Aquacote on some furniture projects). The existing breasthooks are cactus, mast step and thwart could be refreshed, the timber piece the layout diagrams all call a "footrest" seems to be more thickened epoxy than wood, and I may replace that if I can get it off without damaging the floor, otherwise I may just paint it. Transom is fine, as is the hull around the sheer and everywhere else. Quite possibly just a minimum of work and a few coats of varnish will do (the name implies accepting that it isn't perfect, after all). Trailer needs work to make launch/recover easier... same old stuff really.

In two minds about colour. Hull is currently yellow, and while I had considered BRG, the yellow has been growing on me.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading about The Mighty Pippin, and hope you are managing to get out with her often!
    Cheers Damian! I have to admit to not having been for a single sail yet this year, which is something I'd like to remedy in the next couple of weeks. I still have a raft of minor tweaks including a couple to the trailer and the sails all probably need a good wash and a nice sun drying since they've been stored in the boat since November. Bit slack, I know.

Anyway it's great to add another Mirror to 'The Haul of Mirrors' from this thread. Jeff, Rick, myself, Jaemie down in Melbourne (who has a plastic Mirror) and now you! Did I miss anyone? When is Phil going to get a Mirror?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Thanks Ian. I've been looking at the X5s advertised but have no prior knowledge. Those points are a good start. Not sure what I'll end up getting though, could be anything really...

Yes definitely re the wife and getting a suitable park. The knee sounds like a real pain. Anything that aggravates it must be minimised. Hope it improves for her.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Thanks Ian. I've been looking at the X5s advertised but have no prior knowledge. Those points are a good start. Not sure what I'll end up getting though, could be anything really...

Yes definitely re the wife and getting a suitable park. The knee sounds like a real pain. Anything that aggravates it must be minimised. Hope it improves for her.

What's your budget Bruce?

http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for...b8b3a834#/pos5

http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for...b8b3a834#/pos0
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Ian, budget depends somewhat on selling the subi and a 2004 Astra, but the 270 is under and the 320 is probably just over budget. It also depends on the state of the quotes we get for the work on the house, due in Friday this week. I'm trying not to charge into the car buying prematurely but, you know, excitement at looking around is causing brain chemicals to flow.

I'll probably go see the 270. It's possibly bigger than I was hoping to end up with, but then again, the 180 and 200 hatch models have much less storage space inside than I expected, so I should at least do the homework better.

This might be on the high side of your budget, but looks pretty tidy to me. I have the non-turbo, sedan version of this series, 1 year younger and 70,000km more than this example.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-3963649/?Cr=0

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    A pity about that main yard, Tom.... But I guess it's only aesthetics after all.

Mike
    Are you referring to the Global School banner? That is being run by a Canadian organization ,which hopefully pays some of the upkeep, mind you there was not much movement aboard that morning, one sturdy Viking couple where the only ones visible.

Or a bit too expensive, depending on how you think about it.

Yep
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

This might be on the high side of your budget, but looks pretty tidy to me. I have the non-turbo, sedan version of this series, 1 year younger and 70,000km more than this example.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-3963649/?Cr=0
    I bit on the high side, subject to selling the current cars and being joyfully surprised at the house repair quotes. Also, I'm sort of keen on a diesel for the travel work, and a small turbo diesel like the 2 litre in the Merc B class has pretty good town economy as well.

I've had follow up calls from two dealers that I visted yesterday. Neither offered to cut their prices down to the bone to secure the sale. I'd be interested in critical comments on these two, to help wipe the stars from my eyes.

The cheaper is affordable, has a bit of hidden damage that came out in a look through the receipts, has a medium level of kms, and is older than the second one. Internally it is kitted out with a luxury level of fittings and finish, just like the CLK200 was. It's being sold as traded.
    http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...12669714/?Cr=0

The more expensive is not quite affordable yet. It looks like the CLK200 from the outside, apart from the shape. It's more spartan inside. It has been made showroom-ready by the workshop of a big car retailer. Hasn't been a lot of kms, is relatively young for this job.

I'll stop hogging the thread with my car stuff again, soon, I promise...

Towing unbraked 400kg? Strewth.

I'd be chasing any forums that cover that vehicle for insight into possible problems.

CVT... don't know much about it, or its reliability.

The cheapest option might be to repair the Subie.
    I think I could tow the Scamp

cvt - yes, 7 speed auto, doesn't seem to leave much time for actual propulsion between all the gear changes, does it??

Repairing the subi would still leave me with a nearly 20 year old thirsty petrol wagon. Not convinced that's the best answer yet. Still looking at/for a best available option.

I think I could tow the Scamp

cvt - yes, 7 speed auto, doesn't seem to leave much time for actual propulsion between all the gear changes, does it??

I had a subie with a CVT gearbox - 5 speed i think, but yo never really knew for sure . Hated it. Engine was always droning away in no particular gear. It did have the shift paddles on the wheel, but that got boring very quickly. Was only driving it maybe twice per week so happily sold it and now drive the garage queen on any necessary weekday outings. More fun.

These are pretty nice too. I'm not shilling for Volvo, just I know how comfortable and solid mine feels on the highway for a relatively small car. Towing unbraked 700kg. Looks like it already has a towbar. Not in SA though (there's a petrol one in Adelaide though with otherwise similar specs.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...12175895/?Cr=3

I like Volvos. I'm keen to replace the ol' Camry with a XC70 - probably around 8 years old. I don't really want another car but I need a car that'll tow a trailer (the Skoda won't) as I have so much building work and landscaping still to do.

Looks like Tuesday will be the day for us to head north, if the forecast holds. After a few months of pretty intensive building work, I'm pretty keen to get out to sea for a few days! We still haven't finished my dinghy but we'll get it done over the next few days as David's taking it up north.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I like Volvos. I'm keen to replace the ol' Camry with a XC70 - probably around 8 years old. I don't really want another car but I need a car that'll tow a trailer (the Skoda won't) as I have so much building work and landscaping still to do.

Looks like Tuesday will be the day for us to head north, if the forecast holds. After a few months of pretty intensive building work, I'm pretty keen to get out to sea for a few days! We still haven't finished my dinghy but we'll get it done over the next few days as David's taking it up north.

Rick
    This one will tow and launch a boat on a trailer. Towed a TS16 from Melb to Adel. Quite a nice little ride, apparently

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/largs...oor/1112056961

These are pretty nice too. I'm not shilling for Volvo, just I know how comfortable and solid mine feels on the highway for a relatively small car. Towing unbraked 700kg. Looks like it already has a towbar. Not in SA though (there's a petrol one in Adelaide though with otherwise similar specs.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...12175895/?Cr=3
    MM mm. I have a great new Volvo driver's hat, too.
    I wonder if we could get all 3 of us plus guitar, PA, stands, stools and spare undies in that...

I wonder if we could get all 3 of us plus guitar, PA, stands, stools and spare undies in that...
    Nope

Depending on the PA my sedan would handle that fine, but the 3 door is shorter than I remember and it is always going to be a huge pain if there's a rear-seat passenger most of the time. I have the C30s on my mind, because I want to eventually get my wife one (replacing our other old Camry). But your use case suggests a wagon. 6 months ago I'd have suggested VW as the go-to for turbodiesel wagons... :/ Your Merc options sound fine.
    Last edited by Damian James; 05-04-2016 at 06:37 AM.

This actually looks pretty awesome: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-3886446/?Cr=0

You'd want to check when the timing belt service is due, those kms givining you a year or two till 150k

Better fuel economy but more kms: http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...12671918/?Cr=1
    (and they say the timing belt service has been done)

Yes to the volksies. But a dual clutch? I've only just heard of clutchless manual, now we are into dual clutch? What's that about?

When I travelled with a band waaay back we travelled in one of these………..

Dunno about the dual clutch - sounds like something that doesn't get in your way till some failure mode or other.

This Astra looks pretty good value too. Low (relatievly) kms, no tow bar, but with a cargo barrier and a Bury handsfree wired in:
    http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...12646093/?Cr=1

I actually just did a trawling seach - location Adelaide, body type wagon, fuel type diesel. There are several Fords, Peugots and Hyundais you might look at by doing similar.

I have a mate with a dual clutch Audi. Lots of trouble, all under warranty fortunately. He hates it.

Rick what's the boat you are off on this time?

Yes to the volksies. But a dual clutch? I've only just heard of clutchless manual, now we are into dual clutch? What's that about?

The problem is the same number of clutches are still being manufactured, but all these clutchless cars mean they have spares to use up.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Ditto , we wants to know.

Nope
    dang

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    David's Halberg Rassy 38

Rick