Page 798 of 1428 FirstFirst ... 2986987487887977987998088488981298 ... LastLast
Results 27,896 to 27,930 of 49966

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Originally Posted by WX

My skin cancer turned out to be nothing.
    Woot, Woot, Man!

Fair bit of "Phew!" news recently following on the heels of "O, S___!".. & that's a-ok!

enjoy
    bobby

S___! > Shoot? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Accommodation is going to be tight it seems, more forumites than get to Hobart and their partners. A rival event perhaps?
    We have a spare single mattress and or some floor space.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    Woot, Woot, Man!

Fair bit of "Phew!" news recently following on the heels of "O, S___!".. & that's a-ok!

enjoy
    bobby

S___! > Shoot? ;-)

I don't know what it is about getting old but the body seems to want to grow various lumps and splotches.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Peter, Mack balanced lug sail plan (Improved)

Tac to first batten 0.8m. To throat, and second batten 0.75m
    To peak 2.35m
    Leech to second batten 2.0m, to first batten 0.75m, to clew 0.8m
    Foot of sail (clew to tack) 2.13m
    http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.ph...-sailing-canoe

Spars too Peter and mast if you like.
    A bit of a problem Jeff, your sail is 4.1 squ m and about 400 mm longer in the foot than the mizzen on JIM's drawing, well if I convert the gunter Paul Fisher shows for a lug. The area of the gunter is 2.74 squ m. It's quite a lot smaller than the main .

I wonder what the effects of using a mizzen 50% larger than specified are ?

Perhaps I should ask a question of the lug yawl people?

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Why not email Paul Fisher?

Rick

I have Rick, the thread in building is for other opinions.
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 04-29-2016 at 09:18 PM.
    Grateful Dead

I went to the tip shop yesterday to see if:
    A. I could get myself a working sewing Machine.
    B. Get the motor off a dud one to fix my Husqvarna.

Well for the princely sum of $15 I picked up a Princess Instant-o-Matic. I was told it worked. The only problem was when I got home and checked it out there was no foot pedal. A search this morning found one on Ebay for $49 + $17 P&D. I didn't really want to spend anymore money on a machine when I didn't really know if it worked. Engaging the brain enabled me to realise I could wire the Husqvarna foot pedal to it and it worked!

I still haven't quite got the stitching right but it's not too bad. Bottom line was the last. The machine has plug in cams for the stitching style.

Have you tried it on Sunbrella yet , maybe 4 layers ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Have you tried it on Sunbrella yet , maybe 4 layers ?
    It will do 6 layers no worries but the zig zag stitch is erratic and I haven't sussed that out yet. Settings and speed I'd say.

6 layers is great Gary !
    Grateful Dead

Gary great to see you getting close to rebuilding your machine on a tight budget.
    Have you double checked your threading? Otherwise it may be tensions, six layers is impressive.

Cleaning and lubrication should make the difference.

There might be a training and maintenance video on Youtube for it, they're usually great but then you know more about sewing machines than me Gary. There's one for my machine but until the NBN satellite arrives with a decent data allowance I can't afford to watch it.
    Grateful Dead

Peter, let me know what you decide re sail and spars.

How soon do you need to know Jeff, I think that sail would be perfect for my mizzen but I've also emailed the designer for advice.
    Grateful Dead

We might be getting a head start on the replacement of our house roof, which is sort of a bit overdue anyway. It's getting windy here. Gusts recorded above 40 knots at the Black Pole, at Outer Harbour. Several gusts recorded at 49 knots south of here, at Hindmarsh Island. Time to tie the chook's legs to the fence railings - if we still had chooks, that is.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Better tie any remaining chook bits to the fence or you'll have nothing left at all, as you're going to get belted on Monday night and through Tuesday morning.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    6 layers is great Gary !
    Slight correction that's six layers of Odyssey lll. I have some Sunbrella so I ll see how it handles that. I've oiled the machine and given it a bit of a clean.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Better tie any remaining chook bits to the fence or you'll have nothing left at all, as you're going to get belted on Monday night and through Tuesday morning.

Rick
    I'm a little bit concerned abot a couple of friends waiting at Eden for an opportunity to get away towards Tonga. They've been preparing for the trip for some time, and did Adelaide to Eden as a shake-down. They've cleared customs, and did some last repairs, and now waiting to get away. Hopefully not going to get belted by these bubbles of rough stuff coming through. Lovely people on a beautiful boat.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

While I would probably be tempted to work my way up the coast to let's say Coffs Harbour, do you think by putting some miles between themselves and the coast the sea conditions and winds might be more moderate?

Tom, I think their plan was to head to sea eastwards, however I noticed on their blog this morning that they are heading north-east, so they sem to have modified their plan a bit, probably to suit the conditions. The last tracking position on their blog shows them having got away, but I can't see any blog post from them saying what the current plan is.

Right looking at their route there is a lot more Easting than what I had anticipated . Are they blogging on a cruisers net?

They are blogging on Farkwar, maybe other places. Boat name is Dione, an Adams 40 sloop.

http://farkwar.com/boats/dione

http://www.dionelog.com/

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 04-30-2016 at 10:54 PM.

Blowing a SSE gale with squalls here today. Getting colder finally, last night was a shorts and t shirt night till about 3am, then a big thunder and lightning show and round 12mm of welcome rain.

Duncan, I've just caught up on your Mirror restoration thread and can only say... you're insane! At least, that's what I said aloud when I got the bit where you made the supports for the breasthooks. You've done an amazing job both 6 years ago and last year. Looking forward to this EBS!

Wabi-Sabi will not need so much repair to the hull. Where there had been holes (previous owner put her onto rocks) has already been repaired, albeit leaving a squarish patch outside the hull that I believe is chopped glass mat. I'm more than happy to fair over that, and I read your remarks regarding Bote Cote versus Nordglass with interest (used all Bote Cote epoxies so far on the other boat, and have used the clear Aquacote on some furniture projects). The existing breasthooks are cactus, mast step and thwart could be refreshed, the timber piece the layout diagrams all call a "footrest" seems to be more thickened epoxy than wood, and I may replace that if I can get it off without damaging the floor, otherwise I may just paint it. Transom is fine, as is the hull around the sheer and everywhere else. Quite possibly just a minimum of work and a few coats of varnish will do (the name implies accepting that it isn't perfect, after all). Trailer needs work to make launch/recover easier... same old stuff really.

In two minds about colour. Hull is currently yellow, and while I had considered BRG, the yellow has been growing on me.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading about The Mighty Pippin, and hope you are managing to get out with her often!
    Last edited by Damian James; 05-01-2016 at 12:09 AM.

Damien, if you aren't going to do the whole extravaganza you might get some value out of my mirror dinghy thread. Search for Crackers the Mirror Dinghy.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    They are blogging on Farkwar, maybe other places. Boat name is Dione, an Adams 40 sloop.

http://farkwar.com/boats/dione

http://www.dionelog.com/

None of the systems creating wind down south are impacting significantly on our coast and they seem to be staying south out in the Tasman. Samoa dodged a storm a week or so ago but otherwise, it looks pretty good for a trip from Eden to Tonga, except for a bit too much E in the wind, as mentioned by Tom.

We're waiting for good wind to take David's boat up to Southport as neither of us wants to motor all the way. Next weekend might bring something favourable, we hope.

Rick

PS Duncan is insane - you have to be to like Russian music and timber strips on decks.

And that city.

Thanks Bruce Farkwar looks very interesting despite the name.

While not overly relevant to Dione our wether in Cairns has been light SE to 15 kn for 4 days continuing for the remainder of the week.

It looks like we will be pulling the trigger on a used car to replace my Subaru soon. This one will have to be capable of taking our son James, plus myself and another musician and gear, on tour for a couple of months, ending in Brisbane. I'm looking at a 2 litre turbo diesel Merc hatchback B180. If we get it, the plan is to try it out on a trip to see Sibbo and the rest of the gang for the June EBS. Joan remains a pillar of support to me, even now 6 months after she died. I miss her every day.

My trusty old Camry was written off in the famous* hail storm of late 2014. By the time I got my insurance payout**, the effect of thousands of people with insurance cheques on the used car market was fairly pronounced***, and I was basically looking in all the surrounding areas. I looked at and test-drove an early-2000s Merc A series in Redcliffe that had ridiculously low kms. I could see how it would fit a lot of people, but it wasn't right for me - the overall effect was like a luxury Moke or a militarised Yaris. I could probably get used to the semi-automatic transmission (basically a clutchless manual), but that didn't make it not weird. I've no experience of the B series, but I expect it's nice and the diesel will give amazing range per litre.

* In Brisbane.
    ** More than I originally paid for the car, hooray
    *** Several used car dealers also had uncovered yards and no hail insurance, with the effect that several hundred otherwise acceptable used cars were taken out of the market.

Damien James: "Duncan, I've just caught up on your Mirror restoration thread and can only say... you're insane!"

There, someone has finally said it……………...

Quote Originally Posted by Damian James View Post
    My trusty old Camry was written off in the famous* hail storm of late 2014. By the time I got my insurance payout**, the effect of thousands of people with insurance cheques on the used car market was fairly pronounced***, and I was basically looking in all the surrounding areas. I looked at and test-drove an early-2000s Merc A series in Redcliffe that had ridiculously low kms. I could see how it would fit a lot of people, but it wasn't right for me - the overall effect was like a luxury Moke or a militarised Yaris. I could probably get used to the semi-automatic transmission (basically a clutchless manual), but that didn't make it not weird. I've no experience of the B series, but I expect it's nice and the diesel will give amazing range per litre.

* In Brisbane.
    ** More than I originally paid for the car, hooray
    *** Several used car dealers also had uncovered yards and no hail insurance, with the effect that several hundred otherwise acceptable used cars were taken out of the market.
    Yaaaass! But the wheels are too small on an A series to drive to Brissie, I think. They're like mag-wheel castors We once had a moke which we drove from Adelaide to Sydney, and Adelaide to the Victorian snow fields in winter, but we was tuff then, like that Bare Grins feller. We had a kit Capacitor Discharge Ignition in the moke. When you turned on the ignition a high-pitched squeal grew in pitch and intensity until your ears bled, then a start was an explosive semi-nuclear event. It ran on the merest hint of petroleum products, and the release of quarks from unbound hydrogen nuclii, ignited by plasmatic spark-bombs in the chambers. We dug the moke out from under four feet of snow after a week skiing. Everyone laughed and said we were doomed, it would never run again. But they didn't laugh for long, huffing and digging and swearing at their Porsches while we hopped along on top of the snow. It weighed so little, we didn't need snow chains. It was like Legolas - it just hopped up on top of any snow and skiied down the mountain road. We were in Echuca before the pretty Porsche lads and their trinket-wives were out of the mountains. Ah yes, we was tuff once.

Thank you Bruce. I got a much needed grin out of that this morning. :-D

That was the year I rode my Suzuki 70 step thru from Brisbane to Hobart in August ,yep, we was tuff then.
    Grateful Dead