Page 790 of 1415 FirstFirst ... 2906907407807897907918008408901290 ... LastLast
Results 27,616 to 27,650 of 49519

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Broken Hill today and into SA tomorrow. But no hobnobbing with Adelaide sophisticates - straight to Pt Augusta and then a right turn towards Coober Pedy .... or somewhere. Plenty of emus and dead kangaroos out this way and an awful lot of dirt. Not many boats. Broken Hill has a restaurant built about 100m above the town on top of a mine tailings heap. I wonder what the DA for that looked like?

Rick
    what return route are you planning on taking Rick? Are you in a 4wd?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

No, it's a big van full of science education materials. Flying home from Alice after a couple of days of walking around Ormiston and some mountain.

Rick

I left out the "of course". As in: "So of course it has to be trailable with a Yaris". Which is really just a way to explain that I haven't got clear requirements at this stage and those that I do have could be dramatically incompatible or out by several factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian James View Post
    39 being about the size we were looking at here (12m)... not really necessarily what I want for a project. I guess it's my thought of a reasonable minimum size for comfortable cruising. I'm really just feeling my way back in to this world of designs and building, though. I had quite an interesting exercise looking based on your post here... the Tasman Seabird is a lovely design.

Most likely if I can convince my wife about the cruising thing, it'll be multihull territory and a few years away. In the meantime I'd probably be best looking at something smaller. I've an idea about a 9-12metre-ish thing with a huge cockpit and a small cuddy cabin just big enough for a wet bar, a single bunk and an enclosed head. The cockpit could take a dining setting for 8, and while the crew weight could be in the order of 33% of the total displacement, it should handle like a small ship rather than a large dinghy. So the dry weight for towing should be 1 tonne or so plus trailer.

Wrong thread to ask in I bet... but anyway, that's sort of my thinking.
    Bring the weight up to 2 tonnes and the LOA to 10-11m and you've got some interesting designs to be inspired by.

A modified version of one of these won its class in the singlehanded transatlantic race eons ago - 2000kg at 10.5m, well ahead of its time.

http://www.classic-yachts.de/sales/details/223/

The Transat-winning boat is still racing, still sometimes crewed by its skipper from 1972, and still using the same stick;

http://inventairebateauxduleman.ch/f...20130119120546

The '80s iteration of that design is 1000kg at 10m LOA. The Hobie 33 is 1814kg at 10m and trailerable.

Your concept could be fun.

I had been looking at things with big bowsprits up to 20% of the LOA so the LWL could be rather less. Also the accomodation being mostly cockpit, and building light in cloth-sheathed strip plank would both help keep the weight down. I just keep getting distracted by the parallel interest in a comfortable traditional cruising boat, hence overstating size, requirements, etc. But I think it's getting clearer that the latter is something to buy and do up - there are some amazing opportunities out there in just a day of looking. I *do* want a building project for the next few years, though, and the light daysailer idea could be that. Thanks for your input - that's really inspiring.

David Payne's 'Snapper Boat'?, he asks diffidently.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Actually yes! I had been looking at exactly that yesterday and pondering scaling it up a little.

Actually yes! I had been looking at exactly that yesterday and pondering scaling it up a little.
    Since It appears you are navigating uncharted waters with somewhat limited theoretical knowledge, I am curious as to wether you have any actual sailing experience.?

I had been looking at things with big bowsprits up to 20% of the LOA so the LWL could be rather less. Also the accomodation being mostly cockpit, and building light in cloth-sheathed strip plank would both help keep the weight down. I just keep getting distracted by the parallel interest in a comfortable traditional cruising boat, hence overstating size, requirements, etc. But I think it's getting clearer that the latter is something to buy and do up - there are some amazing opportunities out there in just a day of looking. I *do* want a building project for the next few years, though, and the light daysailer idea could be that. Thanks for your input - that's really inspiring.
    A building project for the next few years can just as easily be a rebuild Damian. That one on gumtree would be a building project and with a kauri hull may still be worth a bit more enquiring, despite the hole and crushed frames. Aside from the sling damage it sounds like something may have hit it on the mooring? It's still sitting on the mooring and so still floating.

However there are also a lot of boats around SE Qld that could be got for the right price and be worth the effort of restoring. Don't be put off by a bit of rot and broken frames if the boat is right and the equipment that comes with it is worth more than you pay.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Broken Hill today and into SA tomorrow. But no hobnobbing with Adelaide sophisticates - straight to Pt Augusta and then a right turn towards Coober Pedy .... or somewhere. Plenty of emus and dead kangaroos out this way and an awful lot of dirt. Not many boats. Broken Hill has a restaurant built about 100m above the town on top of a mine tailings heap. I wonder what the DA for that looked like?

Rick
    I'd like to do that run on the BMW but will have to wait a little. No riding for 6 months for me post brain surgery. Dad came from Broken Hill and had many stories about a town surrounded by poison tailings dams and millions of rabbits who hopped into town during droughts after drinking at the dams..... and died by their millions in town..
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

See, now here's the problem: you go for a quick look to see what might be floating around in SE Qld worth doing up for Damian and you come across this sort of stuff:

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...=0&pss=Premium

I mean really!!!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Next to no practical experience in anything larger than a dinghy and precious little in those! Probably more theory than comes across, but as with anyone self-taught with limited experience there is a lot of "I don't know what I don't know". Currently I'm getting out while I can, so if you see an idiot with red sails around Bramble Bay getting his centreboard stuck in the mud repeatedly and generally flailing about, do wave!

I will, if you see an 18 foot double ended yawl say hello. Likely white sails but I don't own them yet.
    Grateful Dead

Next to no practical experience in anything larger than a dinghy and precious little in those! Probably more theory than comes across, but as with anyone self-taught with limited experience there is a lot of "I don't know what I don't know". Currently I'm getting out while I can, so if you see an idiot with red sails around Bramble Bay getting his centreboard stuck in the mud repeatedly and generally flailing about, do wave!
    That is good to hear starting with dinghy's, unlike someone I know very well jumping straight on a 22 ' therefore missing that important learning curve.

Might be able to give you some crewing experience on my WB June 11-12 at the Shorncliffe Vintage Yacht Regatta if you're free.

I may just have to make sure to keep that weekend free, Tom.

Actually considering joining VMR later in the year for the broader experience and training opportunities.

That's amazing, and I see what you mean about pricing. Looks really well looked after too.

I also happened on this while looking around, in Adelaide though. A H28 of all things:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mypon...cht/1059731716

That's amazing, and I see what you mean about pricing. Looks really well looked after too.

I also happened on this while looking around, in Adelaide though. A H28 of all things:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mypon...cht/1059731716
    Curraweene has been on the market for quite a while. It's possible she's sold and the ad is still up, but I think she's still there. The photos show a very nice boat, and well worth a look. If she's sound, it's a lot of boat for that money.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

It looks like the boat with a hole in the hull has been unlisted from Gumtree. Let's hope for the best. In the meantime a sweet 30 foot HP sloop has been listed for around $15k. Please, for my sanity, point out all the reasons it's no good, or not suitable, or whatever, before I catch the green complexion of envy disease, and sell the cat's soul to the devil and go have a close look at it.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hobart-cbd/sail-boats/30ft-huon-pine-masthead-sloop-stormbird-15-500/1110340655

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 04-17-2016 at 12:24 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Bruce I'm going to have to,take you out for a sail soon.

A little bit of amusement from the Harrison Butler Association newsletter.

Grateful Dead

All right, Bruce, I'll start the ball rolling. Too much top-hamper. Plus she's got that ridiculous bassackwards rake to her transom, too.

More bang for your bucks here.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Blythe Spririt is a beautiful design, really lovely boats and very roomy. Great little cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Bruce I'm going to have to,take you out for a sail soon.
    Yes please

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    All right, Bruce, I'll start the ball rolling. Too much top-hamper. Plus she's got that ridiculous bassackwards rake to her transom, too.

More bang for your bucks here.

Mike
    Mike, seriously, you know that isn't helping Now I feel like I have twice the problem. Carina looks lovely If only I had the jingle bells to do something about it. I've spent my whole life being the family's 'Foolish Jack' and I now feel like I should at least have a crack at being responsible, i.e. not burn the family future financial position on another boat. Sigh.

Grateful Dead

Bruce the trouble with a $15000 keel boat in Adelaide, is the question of where you will keep it, and at what cost. Behind Torrens Island sucks because you have 2 hours of motoring before you can hoist a sail. And anywhere else just ends up costing more than you paid for the boat in short order. Seems to me there's just no place any more for keelboats in that price range. If you are in a position to move to Tasmania then I think things could work out nicely, although even there I think spaces for new moorings are getting to be in short supply.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Pete, thanks for that. I went back and watched some SCAMP videos. I think the best of them are Marty Worline's from the 2014 Everglades Challenge. They really show off the capability of the boat. There's a short vid of Marty and his son screaming along downwind, who knows what boat speed but it's plenty fast...

and one of a compilation from that event, including towing another boat home. Has to be the best SCAMP vid ever.

Yep, recharged. Back to the shed. Time to get her done. We have miles to cover - nautical miles.

Mmm... that looks to be a lovely little ship.

It does indeed.
    Grateful Dead

I may just have to make sure to keep that weekend free, Tom.

Actually considering joining VMR later in the year for the broader experience and training opportunities.
    Sounds real I will count on you, VMR sounds good .

Hey Bruce small boats like your Scamp just like my my old Hartley 14 are fun ,manoeuvrable , cheap to run .and once finished require limited maintenance nor expenditure.

Question for those in the know: How much of a hassle would those running backstays be to handle in practice?

Great days sailing today, I know why I like skiffs.
    The usual battles with wind shifts and tidal currents of course, and the racing rules say nothing about reversing your boat around the mark…………

Bruce, what size balanced lug do you need for Scamp?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Great days sailing today, I know why I like skiffs.
    The usual battles with wind shifts and tidal currents of course, and the racing rules say nothing about reversing your boat around the mark…………

Bruce, what size balanced lug do you need for Scamp?
    Hi Jeff, the SCAMP balanced lug sail is 100 sq ft or 9. something sq metres. I already have my sail, boom and yard. I bought the sail very early on, when I had some spare cash, and I just need to finish putting the boom fittings on and the deck fittings for the halyard and downhaul. I just need to crash through inertia and dithering. I'll get there.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk