Page 789 of 1427 FirstFirst ... 2896897397797887897907998398891289 ... LastLast
Results 27,581 to 27,615 of 49941

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

$1000 ono, it's a very strange world.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

That's simply amazing. Doesn't even need a rename. Could she make a passage to Moreton Bay, you reckon? Ad says nothing about sails or whether the engine runs. Looks like she's been sitting in Lake Macquarie for 15 years... Still, $1000 is beyond unbelievable...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    $1000 ono, it's a very strange world.
    It might be a very simple world - it might be a puddle of rotting planks and mouldy gear. Who knows - apart from the current owner - so I've sent him a message to see what he is prepared to disclose.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    The existing mast is ally with clip down/clip up ladder rungs fixed up it's length.

It'd have to be a new set of sticks.
    Thanks Duncan.

Seems crazy but I suspect that none of the photos are recent and the boat is a wreck. But ... ?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Seems crazy but I suspect that none of the photos are recent and the boat is a wreck. But ... ?

Rick
    The most recent photos seem to be of around 2000 2001 when she apparently arrived at Lake Mac. Yes, But... ?? Who can hop down there and have a decco if the seller sounds genuine and the boat sounds worth a decco?
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Too far for me, though I'd love to take a look worthwhile or not. Anyone from Newcastle here?

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    It might be a very simple world - it might be a puddle of rotting planks and mouldy gear. Who knows - apart from the current owner - so I've sent him a message to see what he is prepared to disclose.
    I did inspect a little Lymington sloop like that, the photos were old and looked great, the deck was very suspect and the cabin structure was rotten.
    Grateful Dead

Okay, well I guess I'm closest - Toronto is about 1.5 hours from home - but currently a long way away, and getting further away sort of as we speak, and busier than a one-armed paper hanger for the next month at least. But, if one of you can get some actual detail and do really need someone to look at it, then I'll see what I can do. The detail should include a current photo or two. You'll think I'm exaggerating but I have actually learnt to smell boat photos ....

Good looking boat, great materials and designer but ..... $1000? Probably have to agree with Ian on this one.

Rick

I bought a really beaten up old Mirror dinghy for not much less than that recently. Came with 2 suits of sails including 1 good set and a roadworthy trailer, so I think it was good value. I guess it depends on both the knowledge and the psychology of the seller. There's a line between things that are rare but prized, and things that are a liability and it can be hard to judge where the line is without a tame SME. Most likely it is trashed, but there's an outside chance it just needs its bottom cleaned, the sails sponged clean and a new starter motor.

Yes, that's what the But .... ? referred to. It's highly unlikely but, nevertheless, possible that it's actually a salvageable boat. I'd need more information before I'd go and look at it but if you guys can convince me that it might be okay, I should be able to get down there towards the end of this month.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Nothing that $250,000 won't fix

It's like buying lotto tickets in a way, or maybe in reverse. There's a million to one chance it's a winner. On the other hand, there's a 99.999% chance it's a sink hole for all your spare money. If you lived around the corner you'd be tempted to go kick the tyres, just in case I'll buy a scratchie ticket in the morning and burn $1 to the god of lost causes and empty vessels.

You blokes are likely the right ones to help answer the question "what timber+glass 39 footer should I build?" though. But it isn't a question I'm ready to ask, just yet, not properly.

Why 39'? Boats ought to be built for specific purposes and there are loads of great boats around that can be bought for a fraction of the cost of a new build. So, what do you want the boat to do and why do you want to build it?

A composite construction version of a Tasman Seabird (36') would be a great boat if you want a classic style but there are plenty of modern designs around if you want higher performance. You could talk to Peter Kerr at Deagon Slipways if you want to see about building a Seabird or something like it. Peter's a good guy and totally hooked on the Seabird.

I think Quicksilver is still for sale in Auckland. A great boat for around $100 000 + GST and I know people who'd perhaps jump at the chance to bring that one over.

Rick

By the colouring that photo looks an old one, and the link isn't working for me. But no matter.

Just got one of my regular random emails from Pinterest in the "look what we found just for you" category and who do you think popped up?

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/4998996...tm_medium=2004
    Last edited by Larks; 04-15-2016 at 09:13 AM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Still musing about the 38 footer on Gumtree for a grand. If it is a Laurent Giles built 1956, which design might it be? I looked in the Giles design archive and it didn't jump out at me. Maybe a Channel aux sloop???

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Still musing about the 38 footer on Gumtree for a grand. If it is a Laurent Giles built 1956, which design might it be? I looked in the Giles design archive and it didn't jump out at me. Maybe a Channel aux sloop???

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Maybe it's just too far away to see properly Bruce, but that hull doesn't say Laurent Giles to me....or maybe it was before he established his quite distinctive styling.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Maybe it's just too far away to see properly Bruce, but that hull doesn't say Laurent Giles to me....or maybe it was before he established his quite distinctive styling.
    I think you're right. The Channel class was a cutter rigged boat about that size, very distinctive, and I can't see any scope for this to be rigged as a cutter. I do tend to get lost in the Giles archive, but I can only see one other possibility for a sloop around that size designed before/near 1956, Brittany, and the cabin was most distinctive - not like this boat at all. Anyway, daydreaming is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Just got one of my regular random emails from Pinterest in the "look what we found just for you" category and who do you think popped up?

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/4998996...tm_medium=2004
    That's amazing Greg !
    Grateful Dead

The Gumtree ad for the Laurent Giles 38 footer for a grand has been updated to describe how extensively broken the boat is. Go read it.

Dinner plate sized hole, smashed in gunwales and rudder. Imagine the hole means everything inside is trashed too, so $1000 for a bare hull that needs a lot of replacement timber and work. Guess you'd sheath it at the same time if you took it on. Not going anywhere by water, so one would need to factor in haulage and hard stand. Only worthwhile if it really is a classic I guess, and the damage the owner hasn't found yet isn't too bad.

That's amazing Greg !

Could be random, but is more likely a function of cookies and various tracking technologies these days. Happens to me from time to time. I'll google something and up pops a photo from the WBF.

Welcome to the world of "they know everything"

Wait until you start encountering the new tech we were looking at on a recent assignment of mine. Your phone will alert a retailer of your location nearby, and you get a message about some short term "special" deal... for example as you walk through an, ahem, airport, for example.

A boat like that would possibly be a good investment for someone intent on building, all the equipment, line, chain, nav,engine, winches , sail and rigging for $1000.
    Grateful Dead

Sounds like a lot of fun, though, if you've the time and money for it. And the conversion rate between the two isn't too outrageous.

A boat like that would possibly be a good investment for someone intent on building, all the equipment, line, chain, nav,engine, winches , sail and rigging for $1000.
    Ok put me down for 100 clams for the mast!

Grateful Dead

I think I could pick a Vertue anywhere but otherwise, I don't think I'd know a Giles design if I fell over it. I can't find any pictures of boats around 38' designed by Giles around 1956 but it doesn't seem much of a stretch to me to go from the one above drawn in about the late 1940s and the one for sale. Transoms got bigger on most boats at that time as counters were reduced etc. I can't see anything to suggest it couldn't not anything other than the vendor's spiel to suggest it is. Crushed gunwales could be anything from cracked cover boards to collapsed beams and planking, of course!

Crazy to advertise a boat like this without including photos of its current state.

Rick

The current one has had her counter pruned too.
    Grateful Dead

39 being about the size we were looking at here (12m)... not really necessarily what I want for a project. I guess it's my thought of a reasonable minimum size for comfortable cruising. I'm really just feeling my way back in to this world of designs and building, though. I had quite an interesting exercise looking based on your post here... the Tasman Seabird is a lovely design.

Most likely if I can convince my wife about the cruising thing, it'll be multihull territory and a few years away. In the meantime I'd probably be best looking at something smaller. I've an idea about a 9-12metre-ish thing with a huge cockpit and a small cuddy cabin just big enough for a wet bar, a single bunk and an enclosed head. The cockpit could take a dining setting for 8, and while the crew weight could be in the order of 33% of the total displacement, it should handle like a small ship rather than a large dinghy. So the dry weight for towing should be 1 tonne or so plus trailer.

Wrong thread to ask in I bet... but anyway, that's sort of my thinking.

The current one has had her counter pruned too.
    The rig's quite different, and I think the mast placement. Maybe the current one is a derivative design from Sabrina.

Broken Hill today and into SA tomorrow. But no hobnobbing with Adelaide sophisticates - straight to Pt Augusta and then a right turn towards Coober Pedy .... or somewhere. Plenty of emus and dead kangaroos out this way and an awful lot of dirt. Not many boats. Broken Hill has a restaurant built about 100m above the town on top of a mine tailings heap. I wonder what the DA for that looked like?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Damian James View Post
    39 being about the size we were looking at here (12m)... not really necessarily what I want for a project. I guess it's my thought of a reasonable minimum size for comfortable cruising. I'm really just feeling my way back in to this world of designs and building, though. I had quite an interesting exercise looking based on your post here... the Tasman Seabird is a lovely design.

Most likely if I can convince my wife about the cruising thing, it'll be multihull territory and a few years away. In the meantime I'd probably be best looking at something smaller. I've an idea about a 9-12metre-ish thing with a huge cockpit and a small cuddy cabin just big enough for a wet bar, a single bunk and an enclosed head. The cockpit could take a dining setting for 8, and while the crew weight could be in the order of 33% of the total displacement, it should handle like a small ship rather than a large dinghy. So the dry weight for towing should be 1 tonne or so plus trailer.

Wrong thread to ask in I bet... but anyway, that's sort of my thinking.
    A 9-12m boat weighing 1 tonne. Yep, probably the wrong thread! Did you really mean 9 - 12m?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    A 9-12m boat weighing 1 tonne. Yep, probably the wrong thread! Did you really mean 9 - 12m?

Rick