Page 775 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 2756757257657747757767858258751275 ... LastLast
Results 27,091 to 27,125 of 48982

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Oooo very nice TS photo! Thanks!

And congratulations Bruce! Not surprising though - Drift is a terrific story!

Rick

There are two more races to go. Tomorrow looks like being similar to today, but with some added wind. The TSs will be pushed well over the limits, I'd say. Doyley did not have the day he was hoping for so he'll be at it like he's being pursued by a ghoul. The rest of the field also! Sheep stations on the line.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Oooo very nice TS photo! Thanks!

And congratulations Bruce! Not surprising though - Drift is a terrific story!

Rick
    That's the TS that I was crewing on and found that age and beer had rendered me not up to the job for a whole windy race. I pulled out to let Doyley get someone younger and stronger and heavier for the monkey seat. He ended up with someone lighter than me, but hopefully stronger in the arms and shoulders.

Thanks for the compliment Rick, much appreciated mate.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I'm a bit chuffed that Frankk got a new 5 star review of Drift! Someone I must find out more about, a sailor/adventurer/author with books in print and a new one coming out. I'll have to read his books.
    As Rick said, not surprising at all Bruce - it's a book that I'd read and enjoy if I saw it on the shelf whether I knew of you or not - congratulations.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    As Rick said, not surprising at all Bruce - it's a book that I'd read and enjoy if I saw it on the shelf whether I knew of you or not - congratulations.
    Thanks yonks Greg.
    Paperback E-book

I'm a bit chuffed that Frankk got a new 5 star review of Drift! Someone I must find out more about, a sailor/adventurer/author with books in print and a new one coming out. I'll have to read his books.
    I could read it again no worries.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

70% chance of rain and bugger all wind. Think I might go see Star wars instead.

Ugh... don't remind me... there's half a dozen broken tiles on the roof that I found yesterday, but put off fixing until today.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Report (self-indulgent one):

What's Rick been up to along with seasonal family invasion management and never-ending house building?

Masina - still negotiating with the mooring company's insurance company to cover the cost of repair to topsides paintwork; urgent need for haul out as there's a bit of buildup in patches on the hull and prop; still prepping and repainting the deck; just completed engine repairs and servicing and still learning to love the horrible old smelly flippin' thing - need new engine mounts soon; still have to install windlass, toilet, extra tank and electronics; about to change the vang, preventer, pole etc. system based on ideas from the recent Tassie trip; still need to install new electronics.

Pipsqueak - still drying out but I'll recommence stripping the hull soon.

Dinghy - sheathed the inside floor and about to install thwarts and rowlock blocks.

Family invasion almost defeated now so should be able to post Tassie photos RSN.

Rick

A small amount of progress yesterday on the dust gathering JIM, unfortunately paid for later with more than the usual dose of Neurophen. I'm getting bored with the back !

The invasion approaches . We've had a very pleasant few weeks while the youngest granddaughter has been in Tasmania , although I do miss the little darling but she returns on Wednesday and brings her 13 year old and 15 year old siblings for a 3 week sojourn . Peace will not be mine.

I'm ignoring all possibilities.

Your progress sounds good Rick, something to show for your efforts.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Splashed out 5 wet km in the kayak this morning in around 15-18 knot SSE, out and back to Semaphore from Largs North. Watched the TS16s preparing for the last day of dueling on the water for the Nationals. This time I went with my nephew Matt, my brother Phil's son, in Phil's kayak. Matt confirmed that the seat is lousy, and it defs needs a rudder. The Challenge Kayaks bloke has sent a rudder, which is due to arrive mid week, so we're planning on taking Phil's kayak off the water for up to two weeks while we spruce it up and install the rudder and a new tailored seat. I really enjoyed having Matt along for a paddle. He's a top bloke.
    Paperback E-book

Some final details finishing of Wee Barkie 's interior a wineglass rack and small handrail complementing the new bunk cushions Nellie's elves fabricated.
    Job list to do includes paint deck with two pack, new bronze chain plates, fit new Yankee and furler, haul out in October.

Hey Tom the Southport trip is next Tuesday week but don't hold your breathe as there's another low coming across. I rang Colin today, if it happens there will be about 6 boats.

Practising rafting up (technique for towing another vessel alongside) in the river yesterday. We had a line of about twenty bloody jetskis go past with the bloke in the lead holding a selfie stick.

Pity you didn't have a bigger rafting Gary

Some kayak stuff and a sea shanty to put Phil in the mood for some ukulele on Balia's trip.

Paperback E-book

Isn't that the singing budgie, our Kylie?

Do you think you could put OK in the video instead of Ken?

Rick

WB interior finally coming together.

Real good thanks Gary

You have great little boat there Tom!
    Grateful Dead

Well I got it completely base about apex. The TS16 nationals go until this Wednesday. I thought today was the last racing day. Mind you, yesterday I thought that yesterday was the last racing day. At this stage it looks like Doyley is leading on handicap points, and second or third outright. With three more days, it's no where near over yet.
    Paperback E-book

WB is looking good, I like the glass rack, although on Balia we don't use stemmed glasses, we have some quite nice flat bottomed wine glasses. Uke sounds just fine Bruce. James is also a bit of a singer, and knows his way around a guitar.

WB looking great Tom!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I could read it again no worries.
    And I am, Drift that is.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    And I am, Drift that is.

I've had a few Kindle sales to people who have bought it to appease me, including one where the lady in question wasn't getting round to reading it. I asked if she'd be happy to read a paper copy if I loaned it to her, and she and three others all jumped in with a 'yes,' so there's a loaner copy doing the rounds I should buy a half a dozen more copies from the printer and start a lending library. Because it's an unknown quantity people won't jump in and buy a paperback copy, although so far I haven't had more than a couple of people who read it and didn't like it.
    Paperback E-book

Bruce, perhaps you could be the first to offer something that I've been suggesting all publishers should offer: if you buy a book in paperback/hardcover you also get a single use digital download version. I see some DVD's now offer that (a digital download code inside the box) and I've been suggesting it for a couple of years now (written to Harper Collins, Penguin, Macmillan - with no response from any of them) as I agree the benefit/convenience of digital books but still just love to own the books in their physical form.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

My collection is growing and I can't stop it !
    Grateful Dead

I've had a few Kindle sales to people who have bought it to appease me, including one where the lady in question wasn't getting round to reading it. I asked if she'd be happy to read a paper copy if I loaned it to her, and she and three others all jumped in with a 'yes,' so there's a loaner copy doing the rounds I should buy a half a dozen more copies from the printer and start a lending library. Because it's an unknown quantity people won't jump in and buy a paperback copy, although so far I haven't had more than a couple of people who read it and didn't like it.
    That would be me too, I can't comfortably read more than a few pages of screen text but I love real books.
    Grateful Dead

I've had a few Kindle sales to people who have bought it to appease me, including one where the lady in question wasn't getting round to reading it. I asked if she'd be happy to read a paper copy if I loaned it to her, and she and three others all jumped in with a 'yes,' so there's a loaner copy doing the rounds...
    I ordered one because I am keen to read it and also to boost your numbers, Bruce. It arrived while I was away (got home yesterday) so I'll be reading this week. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That would be me too, I can't comfortably read more than a few pages of screen text but I love real books.
    I vastly prefer real books, but I am forced to concede that carrying hundreds of books* with me when travelling has been made a tiny bit easier with an e-book reader. I have a Nook, and the screen (black & white E-Ink, like the Kindle) is no more difficult to read than paper, even in full sun. I'm really impressed with it. I sometimes read on a normal computer display, but I'm more inclined to track down an ebook version (or make a PDF version) and copy onto the Nook and read it there.

* Okay, I have no use for hundreds of books on a usual holiday, but I tend to have at least half a dozen books on the go at a time, and always carried at least that many - often more - if we went away for a few weeks. Even compared to carrying ten paperbacks, an e-book reader wins.

It doesn't smell the same .
    Grateful Dead

True. Sometimes one must carry one old paperback just to sniff now and then.

What a good idea !
    Grateful Dead

Maybe that's the answer. A Kindle or Kobo or whatever reader that emits a 'real book' odour when the power supply or CPU or whatever warms scented wax

Greg I think I recall that there was a bundled option available through Amazon where you got a Kindle version when you bought a paper version. I'll have a dig back through the ts and cs. For info, I don't have copy restrictions enabled on the e-book version of Drift. It seems self defeating to me, and insulting to the readers - accusing them in advance of fraudulent intent. My very limited market is above that. I don't see any issue with anyone doing with an e-book copy of Drift what they would do with a paper copy of Drift, like letting someone borrow and read their copy. I do have problems with people on-selling copies for their own profit - that's simple copyright fraud. I do have issues, to a lesser extent, with people making multiple e-copies and letting their friends or others have them - that's the equivalent of photocopying your paper copy and passing it around. But I don't support locking the e-book copies down with DRM. That's not the world I chose to live in.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Bruce, perhaps you could be the first to offer something that I've been suggesting all publishers should offer: if you buy a book in paperback/hardcover you also get a single use digital download version. I see some DVD's now offer that (a digital download code inside the box) and I've been suggesting it for a couple of years now (written to Harper Collins, Penguin, Macmillan - with no response from any of them) as I agree the benefit/convenience of digital books but still just love to own the books in their physical form.
    Funny you should say that. I have a book on Operation Pelican by Chris Clark. Operation Pelican was the code name for the Berlin airlift. Excellent book and it comes with a CD ebook version. The book opens in a web browser.