Page 767 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 2676677177577667677687778178671267 ... LastLast
Results 26,811 to 26,845 of 45044

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

A 'decent fall' was too much to ask. Now it's heavily overcast and humid. Oh well at least it's not 44 still.

Sounds good Gary

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Does anyone know if you can be banned from Gumtree for making silly offers on goods advertised? I hope not. I've put a 'wanted' ad up for a cheap kayak, and then I made four offers that are substantially below the sellers' ad prices. I figure I can handle 3 knock backs, and one yes from someone as loopy as me, but now I'm wondering if I might be marked as a spammer or something.
    I can't imagine why you would be. I had a friend in Darwin, JB, who had a small regional airline and who had a lawyer partner who'd go through aircraft for sale mag's (much like Trade-a-boat I guess) and write ridiculously low letters of offer on dozens of aircraft at a time. He'd get at least one accepted in each effort and then would re-list it the following month at a substantially reduced price from the original but at a profit from his purchase price. Anyone who'd been following that aircraft would see that it had suddenly come down in price and snap it up. He did quite well out of it over a few years.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I've got docking down pat. Two sails today first one about half an hour, some running rigging tangled so back to the dock. Second sail a mate came along. He didn't have much time so we didn't go far but I had a lot of fun doing short tacks back past the trawler berths. I've always motor sailed that stretch before. Redwing is a bloody good little yacht.
    Good to hear Gary, sounds like a good day.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I've got docking down pat. Two sails today first one about half an hour, some running rigging tangled so back to the dock. Second sail a mate came along. He didn't have much time so we didn't go far but I had a lot of fun doing short tacks back past the trawler berths. I've always motor sailed that stretch before. Redwing is a bloody good little yacht.
    She certainly is a good yacht. Great that you're having fun sailing it. Top day's sailing by the sounds of it.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Just returned from cruising the Pacific at its best, Sydney to Vanu Vatu winds from SE I0 -I5 knots with a Northerly change approaching the Isle of Pines , this island undoubtedly one of my highlights.
    Much of the island is protected somewhat by numerous very low lying reefs and Norfolk Pines covered smaller islands. With a birds eye I50 degree view from our family room located just above the bridge I was more than happy not navigating unable to spot either the reef nor the narrow pass until very close.

The reminder of our passage to NZ and Sydney equally light except for some squalls first day out of NZ .We managed to miss Sydney's wild wether. While Voyagers sister ship "Explorer of the Sea" not so lucky loosing windows to large hail and reportedly being hit by a line squall heeling to II degrees I can only imagine the angst on the upper decks let alone half the pools emptied on deck II .

Well that's about 35 hours with not much sleep! Goodnight!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Excellent stuff Gary .... I wish I'd been able to come but it was good having the family down too.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Welcome home Tom and Duncan
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Cheers Greg! I'm going to download all my shots to the laptop today and start editing them for a thread on Vienna.

What an amazing and inspirational city it is!

What a complete and utter dog's breakfast Dubai Airport is!!! It's any wonder people actually manage to transit the place!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Cheers Greg! I'm going to download all my shots to the laptop today and start editing them for a thread on Vienna.

What an amazing and inspirational city it is!

What a complete and utter dog's breakfast Dubai Airport is!!! It's any wonder people actually manage to transit the place!
    Eh? Wozzup, can't read English?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Try transiting from an EK to a QF flight (or vice versa) next time you go.

Disembark; catch a train to the carousel and wait for the bags as they dribble out one at a time with a 30 seconds to a minute between each one; go through immigration where if one of the officers is too bored to process your passport he'll fiddle with his computer and then pass you off to the guy three booths down; catch another train back to your original terminal you disembarked at and then be funnelled through about five completely senseless bottlenecks to go back through security which is either strict or next to useless; go through another passport control with more completely disinterested officers; get onto another train to go to a third terminal where you get funnelled through a completely overpriced duty free area where the stands are all about two to three metres apart slowing all the thousands of pax down to a pace similar to a freeway traffic jam; get to the gate where pax with duty free already bagged and sealed have to get it boxed and sealed slowing everyone down again; go downstairs where you have to catch a bus out to the aircraft which is right next to the second terminal you went to, but out a bit.

The wifi is patchy at best, but mostly non-existent as is the air conditioning. Half of the toilets are hidden in almost obscure corners, miles away from anything, and are only to be found with the help of those who have already been to them, unless you are prepared to use up a bit more of your already worn shoe-leather, from the extensive traipsing about, in another extensive search, as the signs often point to dead ends, pray rooms or janitors' store rooms.

If your carrier isn't an EK and misses its slot for any reason forget about pushing back anywhere near an hour once you're boarded

Even Dehli Airport is a paragon of efficiency compared to Dubai Airport!!

Vienna Airport is truly glorious and easily surpasses Singapore which is terrific and a benchmark in and of itself.

The old Dubai Airport which I transited back in 2003 when I worked in Doha was really, really good, beautifully simple and efficient, but I understand it's only used for the cheap regionals now. One would think with all that cash sloshing about the place the airport would be the best in the World!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Try transiting from an EK to a QF flight (or vice versa) next time you go.

Disembark; catch a train to the carousel and wait for the bags as they dribble out one at a time with a 30 seconds to a minute between each one; go through immigration where if one of the officers is too bored to process your passport he'll fiddle with his computer and then pass you off to the guy three booths down; catch another train back to your original terminal you disembarked at and then be funnelled through about five completely senseless bottlenecks to go back through security which is either strict or next to useless; go through another passport control with more completely disinterested officers; get onto another train to go to a third terminal where you get funnelled through a completely overpriced duty free area where the stands are all about two to three metres apart slowing all the thousands of pax down to a pace similar to a freeway traffic jam; get to the gate where pax with duty free already bagged and sealed have to get it boxed and sealed slowing everyone down again; go downstairs where you have to catch a bus out to the aircraft which is right next to the second terminal you went to, but out a bit.

The wifi is patchy at best, but mostly non-existent as is the air conditioning. Half of the toilets are hidden in almost obscure corners, miles away from anything, and are only to be found with the help of those who have already been to them, unless you are prepared to use up a bit more of your already worn shoe-leather, from the extensive traipsing about, in another extensive search, as the signs often point to dead ends, pray rooms or janitors' store rooms.

If your carrier isn't an EK and misses its slot for any reason forget about pushing back anywhere near an hour once you're boarded

Even Dehli Airport is a paragon of efficiency compared to Dubai Airport!!

Vienna Airport is truly glorious and easily surpasses Singapore which is terrific and a benchmark in and of itself.

The old Dubai Airport which I transited back in 2003 when I worked in Doha was really, really good, beautifully simple and efficient, but I understand it's only used for the cheap regionals now. One would think with all that cash sloshing about the place the airport would be the best in the World!

Ha ha... even the most inexperienced traveler checks their luggage all the way through.

Geez Dunc, do I have to teach you everything?

Oh... and that 60 second train ride... you'd rather walk?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

^ Not possible: Standby (without going into detail online, hint, hint).

Nothing you say will make Dubai Airport any less of of a dog's breakfast than almost any other airport I've been to (and SWIMPAL, who has been to more airports than you or I put together, hint, hint).

Dog's breaky. Case closed.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Going standby in the busiest week of the year there could get interesting.

Should have ducked into the first class lounge. I just went gold btw... lounge access everywhere now - and 46kg plus carry-on. Makes life easier

Well that's about 35 hours with not much sleep! Goodnight!
    I catch up soon....sleep well.
    Grateful Dead

Aaaanyway ... sounds like Vienna was a hoot Duncan! Please alert here when you start that thread.

After two years flying around in PNG, any airport with drinking water looks pretty good to me!

Rick

^ Not possible: Standby (without going into detail online, hint, hint).

Nothing you say will make Dubai Airport any less of of a dog's breakfast than almost any other airport I've been to (and SWIMPAL, who has been to more airports than you or I put together, hint, hint).

Dog's breaky. Case closed.
    Yep, I lived that "standby" life for 10 years when I was with TAA/Aust Air/Qantas - the ID fares were great (I got up to ID95 - that's 95% discount on all domestic or international fares - and 2 international FOC's a year before I left) but the restrictions, including only being able to check bags on one leg, were often quite stressful.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Perry's giving me a hard time over painting. He says I should make my mind up whether I want the boat glossy or matt, as each time I do a coat, I call him in to show him how glossy it is, then the next day I sand the gloss off.

I typed that on my phone and we all know how much fun that is...not!
    I'm pretty sure the changes I made to the sheeting system made a different. I did have the outboard in gear for a lot of it but it was only idling so not making a lot of difference, it was mainly for insurance if we needed it in a hurry. Gil was very impressed with how she handled and the ease of the rig. A bloke I know was anchored in Terranora Creek in his new Catalina yacht and we tacked around him without any drama. Coming back up the channel with the wind over the starboard quarter I passed within about 10 foot of him and said," Ah listen to the serenity." as we passed.
    I've got a couple of photos which I'll post but they don't show much.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Welcome home Tom and Duncan

Thanks Greg holidays are great but so is home .

Good stuff Gary.

Traditional hollow log fishing craft plus motor still in use , with new ones under construction.

With the sun behind the sail

Just slipping along nicely.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Lovely Gary ....well sorted .
    Grateful Dead

Nice, Gary.

Tom do you have any more photos to share of the hollow log fishing craft?
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Two smaller craft looked like for hire ,both skippers having siestas .

Love it. Thanks Tom.
    Paperback E-book

Excellent Tom.
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

There must be something wrong with it.

She looks immaculate in all the photos .
    Grateful Dead

This one's interesting, it looks like diagonal planking over ribs but no details in the ad ... very EnZed. http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-fo...so=0&pss=Price

Last edited by PeterSibley; 12-21-2015 at 02:18 AM.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    There must be something wrong with it.
    One way to find out...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Paperback E-book

Thank you, Bruce. I was hoping you'd offer to go have a look. ;-)

Yay! No outboard required here. I replied to AMSAs email asking for my registration number by telling them that I'm unpowered, and thus can't be registered, so they give me an MMSI. Now my radio doesn't have a whinge every time I turn it on.

<happy>

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Thank you, Bruce. I was hoping you'd offer to go have a look. ;-)
    You need someone with better control of their emotions, and more knowledge of what they are seeing, than I have. Mind you, I'd love to look over her.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Paperback E-book