Page 766 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 2666667167567657667677768168661266 ... LastLast
Results 26,776 to 26,810 of 45016

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Hot here today. More to come. Taken the doona off the bed. Going with just an empty cover tonight.
    It's a big country, I've got a jumper on this evening.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Don't like wind turbines much do you Rob! I love them.

I wish I had a couple but the wind here isn't consistent .... they pay well if you do have one.
    Grateful Dead

Hi Rob, the bloke at Eaglehawk can't supply a sickle bar mower as Solo no longer bring them into the country but if I can find a secondhand one he can supply parts as needed, mainly the replacement teeth for the bar. I've written his phone number down.

Thanks for the tip.
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

A small miracle? Or just a leak……………..
    In the midst of a heat wave and a long dry my creek, which has been dry for about 2.5 months, started running yesterday and 35 hours later still is. Not a big flow but steady, enough to fill all the small weirs I have put in. The ferns will love it.
    Not a leak on my place, there are a couple of stock dams further up. The alternative is that the deep cracking clay has opened access to one of the myriad small aquifers in the clay.
    I am not complaining, the neighbours say they cannot find the source. There is no reticulated water in the area.

It must be Christmas Jeff .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Yes , they do.
    I've told this story before , but I'll repeat it.
    My next door neighbour owned a property right on the coast.
    A dairy farm , but on sandy ground , it could get pretty hungry.
    But it was wild , and theirs.
    They had miles of beach , all to themselves , and loved it.
    They were offered big money to put turbines on their property , and were easily seduced by the money.
    But the turbines turned in to a nightmare , and drove them off the property they loved.
    Yep , now he is a very wealthy man.
    But if he had his druthers , he would rather have the farm of old , and the lifestyle that went with it.
    But its gone forever now , its just an industrial park.
    Rob J.
    Hardly forever! And when the technology advances, that land will be fine. Go to Google Earth and have a look at what we do with prime farmland in the Hunter Valley. That land may well be ruined forever. I'll swap you the stinking coal industry for windmills any day.

Rick

Good news! It only got up to 40 C today, not as high as the forecast.

Bad news! They've adjusted tomorrow's forecast top to 44 C.

Tomorrow I'm taking my brother Phil to West Lakes to go kayaking. He hasn't rung to cancel yet and I don't think he will. He's arranged to check out an older fibreglass kayak for sale, $300. He's not yet losing any keenness for the idea of kayaking, even though we have to try to build some sort of seat arrangement that both props him up, and lets him get out easily if/when he rolls it over.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I thought of you Sand Gropers today Bruce, I thought it got hot where I'm building but i reckon you got about an extra 2 degrees on me. May all your beer be cold and insulation thick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Hardly forever! And when the technology advances, that land will be fine. Go to Google Earth and have a look at what we do with prime farmland in the Hunter Valley. That land may well be ruined forever. I'll swap you the stinking coal industry for windmills any day.

Rick
    I'd swap you coal seam gas for either........especially the windmills......though I do understand the discomfort of their noise if they are near by.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    I thought of you Sand Gropers today Bruce, I thought it got hot where I'm building but i reckon you got about an extra 2 degrees on me. May all your beer be cold and insulation thick
    Up this way too, You have our sympathy.... not that it's any use to you.
    Grateful Dead

Going for a solo sail tomorrow I haven't been able to find anyone who wants to come.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

right .....and the family is all arriving here ....
    Grateful Dead

Goodbye Wien! ✈️
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Chilly here. I had a sweatshirt on last evening.

Did you ever get back Duncs , or are you still looking at more and more @#!%#@!g gondalas?

Sticky and dead still this morning, 43 and a nasty northerly forecast for Melb, hard to tell here as depends on the wind.

If I'd been about I'd have sailed with you Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Chilly here. I had a sweatshirt on last evening.

Did you ever get back Duncs , or are you still looking at more and more @#!%#@!g gondalas?
    That's Venice.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I was starting to wonder if Dunc even had internet. I thought we'd be seeing lots of pictures of old piles of stone and lovely boats.

I had to deliver a car to the airport at 9.30 last night, flight was late and took half an hour to unload. So around 11.30 by the time I'd seen my customer off I headed down to West Beach. It was absolutely gorgeous. Warm, gentle breeze. Cool but not cold water. Clear. Phosphorescence as I swam in the moonlight. Moon just playing hide and seek with some clouds. Really, really beautiful.

Checked the place this morning from about 5.30. Watered a few trees I'd rather not loose. Hot all ready
    It's wait and see now.

Good luck down there.....
    Grateful Dead

This is so frustrating. I've bought myself a DSC VHF radio, which requires an MMSI to be entered for automatic distress calls. AMSA won't allocate an MMSI without evidence of a VHF radio qualification, which is fair enough, so I went and did the course and got the qualification.

So then I put the application in and they knocked it back, because they require a state registration number for my boat. My boat is a 4.5m sail/oar dinghy, and by WA rules it doesn't require registration. Anyway, I thought, I'll just register it anyway, as registration pays for boat ramps and buoys etc. so I try that. But I can't, because they won't register a boat that has no hull ID number (HIN). So step three, let's try getting a HIN for the boat. You can go to a boat dealer and ask them to give you a HIN, but you need a couple of things: first, proof of ownership, and second, the serial number for your outboard. Proof of ownership is difficult, because I only have dozens of receipts for ply etc that I haven't kept. I guess I could point them to my blog. But requiring an outboard? That's just bloody ridiculous. I refuse to buy an outboard just to satisfy some shiny-bum bureaucrat.

Does AMSA even give a stuff about safety? I'm sorely tempted to simply enter a random nine-digit number into the radio.

Proof of ownership is easy. You have documented yourself building it.

Just give them a serial number for *an* outboard. You can use the one off my 6HP Tohatsu if you like, as long as you promise not to report it stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Going for a solo sail tomorrow I haven't been able to find anyone who wants to come.
    Well duh! Hey xxxxxx would you like to come for a solo sail with me tomorrow? No, then it wouldn't be solo would it?

Sorry just channeling my inner Rick.

Hope you have a great day. Docking is probably the hardest part.

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    This is so frustrating. I've bought myself a DSC VHF radio, which requires an MMSI to be entered for automatic distress calls. AMSA won't allocate an MMSI without evidence of a VHF radio qualification, which is fair enough, so I went and did the course and got the qualification.

So then I put the application in and they knocked it back, because they require a state registration number for my boat. My boat is a 4.5m sail/oar dinghy, and by WA rules it doesn't require registration. Anyway, I thought, I'll just register it anyway, as registration pays for boat ramps and buoys etc. so I try that. But I can't, because they won't register a boat that has no hull ID number (HIN). So step three, let's try getting a HIN for the boat. You can go to a boat dealer and ask them to give you a HIN, but you need a couple of things: first, proof of ownership, and second, the serial number for your outboard. Proof of ownership is difficult, because I only have dozens of receipts for ply etc that I haven't kept. I guess I could point them to my blog. But requiring an outboard? That's just bloody ridiculous. I refuse to buy an outboard just to satisfy some shiny-bum bureaucrat.

Does AMSA even give a stuff about safety? I'm sorely tempted to simply enter a random nine-digit number into the radio.
    You have to force a change in the system. That wil be drawn out and painful, but ultimately a valuable thing for the whole boating sorority/fraternity/thing.

In the meantime, I have a 4 HP Johnson outboard here that I got for nothing. A boatie friend was moving house. He chucked it on the lawn for the hard rubbish collection and I chucked it in the boot of my car. It runs, after a fashion, however it doesn't ever *have* to run again, as there is no actual need for it. I'm happy to donate it to your Nav, and I'll even provide free storage for it as long as you like. Would you like me to send the serial number of your new/used 4HP Johnson outboard? Edited to add Model AJ4BRC08 Serial # A 600477 There are a couple of youtube videos of it running:

Bruce
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 12-18-2015 at 08:52 PM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

and another one of suzyj's outboard

Paperback E-book

It's as hot as blazes here today.

This morning I took my brother Phil to West Lakes again so he could go kayaking. He has joined the club and is enjoying it heaps. The others in the paraplegic group have rallied around him and he's among a solid group of peers. It's great to see. Phil had a look at a kayak for sale this morning, and bought it after a trial paddle. This is good. Now I need to get my hands on a cheap touring kayak so I can go paddling with him. If anyone knows of a reasonable, but cheap, kayak I could buy, please let me know. Phil paid $300 for his, including PFD and a paddle, so I'm looking for something in that end of the market. Around 14-15 footer would be fine
    Paperback E-book

Bruce, I may have a boat for you but it will be over here. Let me know if you find something local.

Baking here, a few fires about. One right on top of good friends at Wandin North. There's one burning down to the coast from wonthaggi, a mixture of coastal scrub, holiday houses and residents.

And now there are severe thunderstorm and wind warnings bearing down on our are. May or may not include useful rain.
    Oh well, at least it's dry heat.

Thanks for the offer Bruce. I'll try harassing the bureaucrats I think.

On other news, yesterday was my last day at work until the 4th. This morning I gleefully headed down to the wharf to buy some paint for my topsides, only to find they're closed until, wait for it, the 4th! So now I'll be climbing the walls for the rest of my Christmas break.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    and another one of suzyj's outboard

Looks like just the ticket for mixing paint!

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    Thanks for the offer Bruce. I'll try harassing the bureaucrats I think.
    If you can't break through, the motor's here.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Bruce, I may have a boat for you but it will be over here. Let me know if you find something local.
    Thanks a brazillion Jeff I'll let you know how I go. I know there are sheds and yards full of them, just waiting for someone like me to waltz in and make an offer I've become a Gumtree whore.

Phil's talking about the Coorong, and weir-to-weir trips on the Murray, and he's had his kayak or less than a day Runs in the family. I reckon there's a reasonable chance we'll get away for a couple of overnighters in the Autumn. At 68 years old, with diabetes and having had a bypass, his window of opportunity isn't open very wide, so we'll see if we can do at least something in 2016. Mind you, according to his doctors he shouldn't even be a distant memory by now.

I'd like a service club to adopt him and help make things happen for him, but they aren't my scene. There's a 20 year old paraplegic woman in the same kayak group at West Lakes who is being supported by Rotary. They bought her a racing yacht, which she did very well with, and now they're buying her a new racing kayak. She's pretty much unstoppable - same as the rest of that group. It does my head no end of good to be involved on the fringe of them, even just as the ground staff and driver.
    Paperback E-book

Does anyone know if you can be banned from Gumtree for making silly offers on goods advertised? I hope not. I've put a 'wanted' ad up for a cheap kayak, and then I made four offers that are substantially below the sellers' ad prices. I figure I can handle 3 knock backs, and one yes from someone as loopy as me, but now I'm wondering if I might be marked as a spammer or something.
    Paperback E-book

After a Goolwa show I did a 5 day sailing tour of what was navigable on the Coorong in my Macgreggor. Salt Creek ranger station up to the barrages and back. It was at almost the worst time possible with low water and very salt but interesting for that too. Not a few wrecks showing and often too shallow to row or paddle so it was sail or walk. Straight across from Salt Creek and over the dunes was an enormous blown out midden. A K wide at least and at one time 30 odd foot deep. Amongst the imported flints and heaps of shells were a couple of very old box cast bottle bases that had flakes worked off them.

(Hooray, amidst much thunder and lightning a change and RAIN. A decent fall might not be too much to ask for eh?)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Well duh! Hey xxxxxx would you like to come for a solo sail with me tomorrow? No, then it wouldn't be solo would it?

Sorry just channeling my inner Rick.

Hope you have a great day. Docking is probably the hardest part.
    I've got docking down pat. Two sails today first one about half an hour, some running rigging tangled so back to the dock. Second sail a mate came along. He didn't have much time so we didn't go far but I had a lot of fun doing short tacks back past the trawler berths. I've always motor sailed that stretch before. Redwing is a bloody good little yacht.