Page 751 of 1424 FirstFirst ... 2516517017417507517527618018511251 ... LastLast
Results 26,251 to 26,285 of 49826

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Bruce pop over to the thread on how things can change in an instant in Designs and Plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Bruce pop over to the thread on how things can change in an instant in Designs and Plans.
    Yep, we've been swapping PMs. Sounds like a terrific boat. The photos on Gumtree looked really good, not sure if the ad is down yet.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

That's cheap!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

There's another one on Gumtree around the same price mark in Adelaide. Also looks good in the photos.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/black...oat/1100660999

Both of the Hartleys look to be in good condition and are both a nice price. Without knowing more about the second one I think I like the look of the Ardrossan one a little more for some reason - and I gather from the thread on her that she is quite well built and solid.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Would you believe they are making another King Kong movie?? I spent half of yesterday driving the Directors 40' Swagman motor home around......well half of yesterday waiting around while a bunch of movie types dithered around getting organised for us to be taken to the film set that was being moved (from South Stradbroke) then waiting around until the motor home could be packed up then about 45 minutes driving it from Cabbage Tree Point up to Mt Tamborine........
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Got a gig as a roadie?

The low, low dollar.....
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Got a gig as a roadie?
    Nah, my mate Dave owns Swagman Motor Homes and Orana Film Transport. A lot of Swagman owners get his company to hire out their vehicles when they aren't using them , particularly to movie productions. I guess it's set up much like the yacht charter fleets and every now and then I'll give him a hand to move a truck or motor home around when he needs drivers. I've done the film work thing before (which is how I first met Dave in Alice Springs many years ago during the pilots strike) and hated it - or more so the wankers involved in it - so he knows I'll only help out if it's a vehicle move and not actual unit work (setting up, supporting production and packing down).

But Peter, you are right, there's a lot going on right now with the film industry - and with boat production - because of the Aussie dollar. I heard yesterday that the next Thor will start straight after the Kong movie has finished and that the film companies buy hundreds of millions of Oz dollars when it's down so that they can capitalise on it and film when they are ready without risk of it rising.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

It could go lower yet, so those industries might see lots of work.
    Grateful Dead

Yep, and tourism. Without actually crunching numbers, I think I am seeing more international visitors in my cars. And I've recently started getting my teeth done locally instead of in Thailand.

Hi Rob. 44c again here, reported 46 in Melbourne evidenyly. But without the strong winds. NEaster at present. All quiet on the fire front here so far but there have been a few callouts for problems on unpatrolled beaches.

I spoke too soon. Fire just above us and moving in our direction. About 6 k away but just notified.
    We're out of here
    Last edited by skuthorp; 01-13-2016 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Hi Rob. 44c again here, reported 46 in Melbourne evidenyly. But without the strong winds. NEaster at present. All quiet on the fire front here so far but there have been a few callouts for problems on unpatrolled beaches.

I spoke too soon. Fire just above us and moving in our direction. About 6 k away but just notified.
    We're out of here
    Yikes!!!...........I hope you're all OK Jeff - please keep us informed!!!!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I spent a lot of the day playing with the kayak's beach trolley. It has been a real pain dragging the kayak down to the water - along the street, across the main road, along the main road, down a timber ramp, along a shared walk/bike path, then the real work, through lots of soft dry sand to the actual beach. The kayak trolley wheels are 75mm wide pneumatic tyre wheels. Letting lots of air out of them helped a little bit, but on a hot day I'm pushing my luck at my age surviving dragging everything down to the hard sand.

Today, with the help and advice of my nephew Matt, I sourced, bought and played with new wide wheels that I hope will do the job better. They are the same diameter, so they will detach and go into a storage area through a standard hatch, and 2.5 times wider. Cheap, in my opinion, as well, at $8 a wheel. They are from the K Mart generic knock off of one of those three wheel 'slider' trikes the little kids hoon around on. I found just how little life was left in the old kayak trolley when I took the wheels off it, so I'm glad I'm doing this. I'm nearly finished. I just need a structural cross-tie to join the two stub axles, to stop them collapsing under load. I'll try to load a photo in a minute, but I'm thinking some steel tube 20mm ID to join the axles and we're done. I'm not sure PVC water pipe would be strong enough.

Trolley

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Yikes!!!...........I hope you're all OK Jeff - please keep us informed!!!!!!
    What Greg said. Stay safe Jeff.

We took a load down to Mornington, and the CFA got the fire under wraps quick time. But since a spate of small fires have occurred around the township. One to 5 appliance affairs and all roadside grass starts. I reckon we have a fire bug in the area, and a cheeky one. Could be kids of course, a short bike ride between them all.
    I think we'll go home later on. There was a lot of water about but most of it didn't reach the ground and it's still hot and very humid now. Proper change forecast overnight and rain. I certainly hope so.

It all sounds most unpleasant Jeff !
    Grateful Dead

Bloody hell Jeff! Stay safe!!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Hope all is well Jeff, thinking of you.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Four Bar Visits In Just Under 30 Hours.

Departed Tweed Bar 0700 with strengthening Northerly's WB pushed hard under reefed main Yankee Stay Sail and keeping up with Mark's Fuji35 .Overnighted Bums Bay crossing Southport Bar 0630 motor sailed to Tweed with light Northerly's crossing the bar
    II30.

Great to have the privilege of meeting several yachty's from the Tweed that set a date and go even if the going looks tough .

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    The Princess of Tasmania has snapped her mooring lines in Melbourne in the storm , and crashed in to superstructure on the wharf.
    A fair bit of damage done.
    Will that affect you Phil ?.
    Rob J.
    Hope not, the ferry is called Spirit Of Tasmania?
    Last edited by Phil Y; 01-13-2016 at 08:43 AM.

Bugger, looks like it is the spirit and the loading ramp is buggered. Might have to fly down. And of course my anti fouling is being delivered to Melbourne tomorrow. And I'm pretty sure it can't fly with me.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 01-13-2016 at 08:44 AM.

Flight booked, I guess I will buy anti fouling down there, and keep my fancy stuff for next time, unless I can return it. Thanks for the heads up

I use Altec No 5.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I use Altec No 5.
    And how does it perform? How long is your bottom clean? Do you dive and scrub between haul outs?

Good stuff Tom.. I must say bars scare the bejeezus out of me. Sounds like you did well.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Outboards in any sort of sea don't do as well.
    Depends on the setup. I've probably got better performance offshore out of the Tohatsu 9.8 (ultra long shaft, centreline mount ) than with the former 12.5hp diesel. The outboard can swing a decent three-bladed prop which isn't easy with an inboard unless you want to spend lots of money or go very slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249;476670
    Depends on the setup. I've probably got better performance offshore out of the Tohatsu 9.8 (ultra long shaft, centreline mount ) than with the former 12.5hp diesel. The outboard can swing a decent three-bladed prop which isn't easy with an inboard unless you want to spend lots of money or go very slow.
    Fully agree with the centre set up, demonstrated by Collin on his Aquarius 24 powering up to Southport in anything but favourable conditions with a similar motor,

Boat design and character would also have to be a factor my own WB would not be sit able even if I was able to centre mount an outboard. Previously I used an offset motor bracket on my Alberg 30 motoring manny miles of Central America which worked but was always a balancing act using sails and weight.

Very poor comms coming out of Spirit of Tas so far. Not really sure whether or when we will get across with car, so will wait and see.

And what they do post on their facebook page is slightly bizzarre. At the moment they seem to be bringing some bookings FORWARD by 12 hours or so. And no information at all about plans beyond tommorrow.

"The DPO-MEL sailing which was scheduled to depart at 7.30pm on Friday 15 January has now been rescheduled to a day sailing.
    This sailing is now scheduled to depart Devonport at 9am on Friday 15 January."

As it happens we will be OK with an earlier sailing, night instead of day, whatever,. Hopefully though we will have some notice about what they are going to do with our current Sunday day sailing booking!
    Last edited by Phil Y; 01-13-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Chris, can you please clarify this? What do you mean by the last sentence? I'm a learner.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    The Victorian papers don't shed much light either Phil.
    They are telling us that people and cars can't be disembarked .
    I guess they have figured out what they are doing , but they aren't adequately explaining what that is to the punters.
    Rob J.
    My guess is they havent planned all that well for this, and are making it up as they go along. They have a few posts on the fb page, but so far only dealing, poorly, with Friday sailings. No mention at all of weekend schedules.

I call this Panic Mode-the latest Spirit facebook post-

We are currently receiving a high volume of calls.
    If you are booked to travel on or after 16 January, we would appreciate you calling us at a later date so we can attend to passengers that are due to travel today (14 January) and tomorrow (15 January).
    At this stage there are no updates regarding the sailing schedule from 16 January onwards. We are expecting an update later today. As soon as we receive an update we will inform passengers. Updates will be sent via SMS and/or email.

Very proud to see our son's advertising campaign starting for his Adelaide Fringe show. He has been in Fringe shows over the last several years, with groups and duets, and this is the first time he's out there solo under his own name alone. Not actullay solo, mind you, he's being accompanied by a very very good jazz guitarist. I have seen a preview of the show at a music festival and I reckon it will be really good. The preview was excellent. 'No Advertising' rules here disallow me from sharing too much more, but please contact me if you'd like info.