Page 750 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 2506507007407497507517608008501250 ... LastLast
Results 26,216 to 26,250 of 49855

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Put the swags out in the rain and you won't even need the shower.

Rick

We were taking some friends sailing today. They have kids who are very keen to take up sailing. One has just signed up to Belmont 16s. Parents have just bought a Top Hat and Dad got Newcastle CYC sailing lessons for Christmas. But today's going to be very hot, no wind and a thunderstorm in early pm so we'll go tomorrow instead. I've just finished reinstalling rails and stanchions in the back of the boat so it'll be good to have the lines back on for the kids, and I'm glad I won't be jammed into the lazarette again today!

Completed the engine repairs and servicing the other day and I installed a hatch in the cockpit sole.

Rick

Thanks. Melbourne Saturday night is really the problem. I think the local authorities there frown on people sleeping rough in the parks.

Just leave a couple of empties nearby and they'll leave you alone. You might even get baked beans and a cuppa in the morning!

Rick

You can sleep at highway rest areas. How close to the city is the nearest one?

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Fair winds and gentle seas!
    North to north west around 15 knots with a lumpy sea. I spent about 2.5 hours thrashing to windward without making significant headway. I quit and returned. Broad reach back in saw me clock 6.8 knots. Video clip and full story to follow when I get back home.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

On the topic of anti fouling, looked closely at Micron 66. Seems to be da bomb, except it doesn't like fresh or brackish water, and Balia will be back up the Huon for a month before we head off to Adelaide. There is some suspicion on the inter webs that this will cause Micron 66 to de activate, peel off, or both. Talking to International's sales rep, he said 66 is their top recreational product, but a better product is Intersmooth 360. Developed with the Aus Navy, no problems with fresh water and good for up to..........60 months......I'll believe that when I see it, but that's what's going on Balias bottom next week. Like 66 it's a self polishing copolymer, but has a heavier dose of copper. 10 litres is their smallest pack because it's a commercial product, but that's fine, she usually takes 10 litres.

Thanks. We have Melbourne digs sorted now.

Anyone want to comment on how far a loaded sea kayak could go in a day, for multi-day adventure voyaging? Yeah, I know, it depends, but still...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Thanks. We have Melbourne digs sorted now.
    Good-o

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

On the topic of anti fouling, looked closely at Micron 66. Seems to be da bomb, except it doesn't like fresh or brackish water, and Balia will be back up the Huon for a month before we head off to Adelaide. There is some suspicion on the inter webs that this will cause Micron 66 to de activate, peel off, or both. Talking to International's sales rep, he said 66 is their top recreational product, but a better product is Intersmooth 360. Developed with the Aus Navy, no problems with fresh water and good for up to..........60 months......I'll believe that when I see it, but that's what's going on Balias bottom next week. Like 66 it's a self polishing copolymer, but has a heavier dose of copper. 10 litres is their smallest pack because it's a commercial product, but that's fine, she usually takes 10 litres.
    I've had a fantastic run from 66. I put 77 on in october but thats supposed to be a development so hopefully it'll be at least as good.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Anyone want to comment on how far a loaded sea kayak could go in a day, for multi-day adventure voyaging? Yeah, I know, it depends, but still...

It depends on whether it's you or me....
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    It depends on whether it's you or me....
    At this stage it's me. Thinking about disappearing for a week or so in early Autumn to sit in a hermit's tent on a beach or up the river and write stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I've had a fantastic run from 66. I put 77 on in october but thats supposed to be a development so hopefully it'll be at least as good.
    Yeah the 77 is OK with fresh water I believe. 66 seems to get consistently good reports. Learning quite a bit about anti fouling at the moment!

At this stage it's me. Thinking about disappearing for a week or so in early Autumn to sit in a hermit's tent on a beach or up the river and write stuff.
    Sounds nice. So don't set an itinerary. Paddle as far as you feel like paddling, or until a particularly nice stopping spot seduces you. Drink. Eat. Write. Sleep. Repeat.

That sounds just about perfect Bruce, enjoy .
    Grateful Dead

Bruce, About 20 to 25 km is a really good maximum distance in a day if you're in open water and don't want to spend the entire time paddling. I used to do a 6km paddle in my sea kayak from Bindijine Beach in Jervis Bay out into the entrance to a little cove to camp in about an hour and a half out (against the swell) and an hour back (with). Tidal movements and little local things that happen with them will play with any notion of schedules unless you're not worried about such piffling trivialities.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Mum and Dads' Tongan tapa has just been accepted as a donation by the NGV, that august institution's first acquisition from Tonga!! Also just as they've organised an exhibit of contemporary Tongan art including tapa!

They won't have any space for the work in their new house, and wanted to donate it to someone who would look after and exhibit it, and the NGV sprung to mind, so I filled in a form and met with success! How cool is that?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

faka'ofo'ofa

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    How close to the wind can you sail with the junk rig?
    I reckon I can match a cruising burmudan for angle but not speed. The BM will be faster on the wind. The other blokes all had inboard diesels as well. Outboards in any sort of sea don't do as well. Starboard tack I could keep it reasonably buried which was just as well coming back in over the bar.

Mona has a fantastic collection of Tapa cloths, essentially paper really. I asked some conservation questions re my bookbinding experience and spent 2 hours behind the scenes with the curator discussing paper conservation and fibre identification.

Sorry to hear about that Gary..what's to do next then?
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

And this looks quite interesting. I used to own a couple of herons..lovely boats. This one looks quite special, if the pics and blurb are to be believed. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201501155302
    Last edited by johnno; 01-12-2016 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Sorry to hear about that Gary..what's to do next then?
    Southport is still the next goal I just need more favorable winds. West round to Southeast would be fine.

Please report all findings re antifoul! This area is dreadful .....

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Southport is still the next goal I just need more favorable winds. West round to Southeast would be fine.
    Okay, fingers crossed for that then. Looks like Friday will swing the wind around to the south.

Okay, fingers crossed for that then. Looks like Friday will swing the wind around to the south.
    Seconded on that Gary , good luck this time.
    Grateful Dead

It will have to wait a while. I will probably have another go in February if the wind is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Bruce, About 20 to 25 km is a really good maximum distance in a day if you're in open water and don't want to spend the entire time paddling. I used to do a 6km paddle in my sea kayak from Bindijine Beach in Jervis Bay out into the entrance to a little cove to camp in about an hour and a half out (against the swell) and an hour back (with). Tidal movements and little local things that happen with them will play with any notion of schedules unless you're not worried about such piffling trivialities.
    Ta. I can splash out 20 - 25 KM already in good conditions, and I reckon I could do more in a day if I thought I had to, by doing two quite separate hops with a good break between them. I'll have to do some serious safety training so I don't drown when I turn it over in sloppy water next. Re-entry has to become a trivial exercise. Then I'll have to have a think about where to go that's nice. There were lots of isolated spots on the East coast of Yorke Peninsula when I was younger but it all seems built out now. Naturally sheltered from the prevailing stronger SW-erlies too. Maybe I could do a hop along the coast and see what I can find, and maybe stay at caravan parks in the off season when the schools are in. It's a bit speculative, and it depends on a couple of things happening that haven't happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Please report all findings re antifoul! This area is dreadful .....

Rick
    Will do. One of the things that has been holding me back from bringing Balia to Adlaide is bottom growth. I guess going back always, Imgenerally went for cheap ablative stuff, and it was bloody hopeless. Stuff started to grow within 3 months, and Imhad a good starter for a coral reef at about 6 months. I think ablative is perhaps OK if you are sailing a lot, so that it is continuously ablated! Not so good sitting at a mooring or berth 95% of the time.

In PNG we put on a coat of TBT anti foul, which was wonderful. No growth in 18 months on a marina in Port Moresby. And another good year back in Adelaide. Then we sold that boat.

I think Micron 66, and the stuff I have ordered this time, arE a slow release copolymer thing, which achieves a constant release of toxin without relying on movement through the water to scrub the paint away. Fingers crossed on this one.

How about one of the copper epoxy antifouls? Anyone had any experience with those?

Yes but it's 20-30 knots

North to north west around 15 knots with a lumpy sea. I spent about 2.5 hours thrashing to windward without making significant headway. I quit and returned. Broad reach back in saw me clock 6.8 knots. Video clip and full story to follow when I get back home.
    Actually it was a close reach. It changed to a broad reach as I crossed the bar. I fact I had to very quickly ease the sheet or she would have rounded up into the north breakwater.

How about one of the copper epoxy antifouls? Anyone had any experience with those?
    Not me. But I guess their failure to develop any real traction in the market puts me off them. Mr Google reports mixed results. I suspect that once a bit of slime gets a hold its game over.