Page 743 of 1246 FirstFirst ... 2436436937337427437447537938431243 ... LastLast
Results 25,971 to 26,005 of 43602

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Wishing you a safe and pleasant trip Rob.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Terrible photos.

Yaringa doesn't have a 'dry dock'. I assume he means she's on dry land, as the last photo shows.

Having said that, I've always liked that style of vessel and if she's in sound condition that's not too bad a price for your own bit of history.

(We've had the grand total of just 13 pts of rain all up over the last two days, and nothing at all for several days before that.)

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    Terrible photos.

Yaringa doesn't have a 'dry dock'. I assume he means she's on dry land, as the last photo shows.

Having said that, I've always liked that style of vessel and if she's in sound condition that's not too bad a price for your own bit of history.

(We've had the grand total of just 13 pts of rain all up over the last two days, and nothing at all for several days before that.)

Mike
    They are dreadful photos Mike - a bit of a half hearted effort to sell her I think......(perhaps whoever is trying to sell her on behalf of the owner doesn't want her to go too quickly with Summer coming...???..I probably wouldn't if it was me....) and I don't think the one recent pic is particularly up to date, but I may be wrong - I think she's currently a poddy-calf shyte beige????

But I've admired Zephyr a number of times in the past - if I was in a much better position than I am I reckon I'd be giving her some very consideration........she'd even make a reasonable liveaboard if I had another contract away from home, she's a good size and I think quite spacious below

PS: Just found her listed here as well: http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-...-vessel/174431

I can't copy the pic's with my IPAD (my laptop has died at the wrong time) but I'm now wondering which are the more recent pic's - the Gummy one with the repaint and lower price, or the boatsonline one in the poddy-shyte beige that I remember from when I last looked at her.

I also retract what I inferred about possibly wanting to use her through Summer - I gather she isn't actually quite seaworthy at the moment
    Last edited by Larks; 11-04-2015 at 08:22 PM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Thanks Greg.
    I'm trying not to stress out , with all of the "what if's ".
    Its a different kettle of fish , to taking her to Portland , or Port Fairy.
    Then I use the "Mud Crab" , and its so solid , and easy.
    And slow doesn't matter , for that distance.
    I'm using the Triton for this trip.
    Regards Rob J.
    Slow doesn't matter for any trip Rob: I sat on about 90-95 coming back from WA and was still passing caravans that sat on about 85 quite happily and without causing any real dramas for anyone. People may grumble about such slow vehicles but I tend more to envy them their lack of deadlines and any real need to rush anywhere.

I know full well that I'd be telling you, of all people, how to suck eggs - but I found taking it easy andd stoppiong regularly to check everything made me feel a whole lot better about towing the Beverly Hillbillies packed trailer and ute over that distance.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I also retract what I inferred about possibly wanting to use her through Summer - I gather she isn't actually quite seaworthy at the moment
    Not only that, but ownership is apparently a subjective question. I'm not sure if the yard owns here, or whether this guy overseas is the registered owner. I'm also certain that she's not registered any more. One of my best friends back in Melbourne went to look at her last year and took a pile of shots I can post later on. She looked good cosmetically topsides, but the waterline down looked pretty punky. She will need a major rebuild and she's about the same size - displacement wise - as Merlin, although a bit longer. Hugh knows her and basically thinks that the best approach would be to stabilise her on site and transport her to one of the yards about the bay and he thinks a reasonable spend will be at least two hundred and fifty large.

The price should be a case of beer.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Contacts in the bush would help too, she probably has sawn frames and that material isn't that easy to come up with, you need to know friendly logger or fence post contractor .
    Grateful Dead

Those of you who, unlike me, have working memory, will recall that a local friend of ours bought an old Sydney workboat a couple of years ago, to restore. Well, she's sat in the shed for the last couple of years but no there is progress! Another friend, with a spare dollar or three, has employed a local shipwright to hoe into the project. He's a son of the old shipwright whose shed burnt down a couple of years ago. So far he's installed all new deck beams, in blue gum, and just yesterday steamed in about 40!! spotted gum timbers, mostly two-part laminations. Much more will come, along with photos, but it's good news. Miss Adventure (our nickname) is around 100 years old - a kauri double ender.

Rick

Yes Greg , that is exactly what I will be doing , taking it easy , and stopping often.
    One concern on such a long trip is the lack of a spare wheel for the trailer. It has never had one , but should , for long trips.
    So I'll have to keep a real eye on the tyres.
    I (or David) had the bearings repacked , and the discs machined , and rotors replaced . I took her down with the Canter , perfect for squeezing HS in to a backyard , but I took the Triton down to pick her up , and see how she goes behind the Triton.
    Depending on lots of variables , I'd say 80-95kmh is her range.
    Its much more stable at that speed , and would consume a lot less fuel.
    The trouble with the Canter , is that she dies on the hills , and some of those hills on the way are beauties.
    But the Canter is very stable , and has an exhaust brake , perfect for going down said hills.
    Anyway , I'll just take it easy , and we should be right.
    Regards Rob J.
    I got a spare wheel from a local wrecker for $20, for our trailer. Worth having!

Rick

That sounds good Rick, I look forward to your photos !
    Grateful Dead

I remember Rick, looking forward to photos. Looking forward even more to a beer or two on board.

Should be no problem Rob!

Just to show that we do actually go sailing sometimes ..... These are from last Saturday

Rick

Looking good Rick , now about that battle stick on what I understood to be a cruising boat .

For anyone interested in a bit more info on Zephyr:

"She needs a bit of cotton caulking mostly in the stern starboard, and forward on the port side.
    Sealing of the deck with cloth and sealant is part done but it would be OK as is for a trip.
    The sails have a few small holes and tears.
    The heat exchanger needs some machine work to remove bolts that have seized: drilling them out on a drill press. I think someone put the wrong ones in years ago.
    The engine runs fine - Ford 120.
    They're the main things as far as I can remember. So wouldn't take much to get her seaworthy again.
    But she's pretty rough especially inside. It's functional - even the stove works although it's rusted out and needs replacing.
    The fit-out is pretty basic. The water tanks are rusted out so are useless and just using up under floor space in the saloon.
    If I kept her I'd do some pretty radical changes, rip out most of the saloon fit-out including the floor, take out the tanks and put the floor back in much deeper.
    I'd like to replace the big Ford with a small modern motor like a Yanmar 80 hp, maybe mounted sideways so the engine room could go back to its probable original purpose of a "dressing room" with full head room and maybe with a stern sleeping cabin too.
    The deck should be OK for a while but the planks are in poor condition and would need to be replaced in the next few years, or if cruising long distances so that's a fair job. However, she has sailed around Tasmania a few times in the last decade with the deck as is.
    Just get her sailing again I don't think would take much.
    I would add that restoring her would require redoing the rig - adding a topmast and probably the mast should be moved back to it's correct position, the present position works but is not very well balanced and would be less so for a full rig such as you see in the old photos.
    The current rig is something between a full cruising rig and a motor sailer rig. Only achieves hull speed (about 7 knots) at about 20 knots of wind."
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Those of you who, unlike me, have working memory, will recall that a local friend of ours bought an old Sydney workboat a couple of years ago, to restore. Well, she's sat in the shed for the last couple of years but no there is progress! Another friend, with a spare dollar or three, has employed a local shipwright to hoe into the project. He's a son of the old shipwright whose shed burnt down a couple of years ago. So far he's installed all new deck beams, in blue gum, and just yesterday steamed in about 40!! spotted gum timbers, mostly two-part laminations. Much more will come, along with photos, but it's good news. Miss Adventure (our nickname) is around 100 years old - a kauri double ender.

Rick
    Good to hear, I've been wondering how she's going....any pic's worth seeing?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

For anyone interested in a bit more info on Zephyr:

"She needs a bit of cotton caulking mostly in the stern starboard, and forward on the port side.
    Sealing of the deck with cloth and sealant is part done but it would be OK as is for a trip.
    The sails have a few small holes and tears.
    The heat exchanger needs some machine work to remove bolts that have seized: drilling them out on a drill press. I think someone put the wrong ones in years ago.
    The engine runs fine - Ford 120.
    They're the main things as far as I can remember. So wouldn't take much to get her seaworthy again.
    But she's pretty rough especially inside. It's functional - even the stove works although it's rusted out and needs replacing.
    The fit-out is pretty basic. The water tanks are rusted out so are useless and just using up under floor space in the saloon.
    If I kept her I'd do some pretty radical changes, rip out most of the saloon fit-out including the floor, take out the tanks and put the floor back in much deeper.
    I'd like to replace the big Ford with a small modern motor like a Yanmar 80 hp, maybe mounted sideways so the engine room could go back to its probable original purpose of a "dressing room" with full head room and maybe with a stern sleeping cabin too.
    The deck should be OK for a while but the planks are in poor condition and would need to be replaced in the next few years, or if cruising long distances so that's a fair job. However, she has sailed around Tasmania a few times in the last decade with the deck as is.
    I would add that restoring her would require redoing the rig - adding a topmast and probably the mast should be moved back to it's correct position, the present position works but is not very well balanced and would be less so for a full rig such as you see in the old photos.
    The current rig is something between a full cruising rig and a motor sailer rig. Only achieves hull speed (about 7 knots) at about 20 knots of wind."
    Sounds like a wreck fondly viewed through rose tinted glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Looking good Rick , now about that battle stick on what I understood to be a cruising boat .
    Masina's tender and easily driven. The tiller extension is essenial for comfortable hand steering in most conditions. As demonstrated, the steering is also very light when the rig's nicely balanced. In this case, we had the blade(ish) jib and two reefs in the main.

Rick

Good to hear, I've been wondering how she's going....any pic's worth seeing?
    I'll pop round with a camera soon.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I can't imagine anyone paying $40 000 for it!

Rick

Masina's tender and easily driven. The tiller extension is essenial for comfortable hand steering in most conditions. As demonstrated, the steering is also very light when the rig's nicely balanced. In this case, we had the blade(ish) jib and two reefs in the main.

Rick
    Looks great. We have a spinlock tiller extension , wouldn't be without it .

hang on a minute , its friday in't it? Note to self ,Must go away sailing for the weekend. We have a marine medic course to do on monday , we might stay out till mon morning and zip back to do that at 9.30 at one of the clubs at the marina. I hope it isn't too gory.

Is that a Cat 1 thing?

Rick

Precisely.

The two people I know have looked at her have both suggested "that much" is over a hundred thousand dollars just to get her to float again, let alone sailing.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Rick
    I must admit to fall into the lazy sailor category, only reef when the ocean is pouring into the cockpit scuppers and since I am mostly single handed the windvane does the steering.

Wee Barkie also has an ingenious stainless tiller extension tube .

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Precisely.

The two people I know have looked at her have both suggested "that much" is over a hundred thousand dollars just to get her to float again, let alone sailing.
    Which is quite a shame, I had wondered if she might be in suitable condition to be a candidate for a sort of stage by stage restoration while living aboard - if she could be sailed away without any great cost, work effort, dramas or apprehension to a new site. IE if the hull and decks were sound and just needing caulking, as it initially sounded, do the caulking and any minor hull repairs, give her a good new paint job and relaunch her and move her and then live up forward on the water while refitting aft and then move aft and refit up forward.......and then later start on the rig, sails, equipment etc.

I hope someone comes along with the wallet, vision and energy that can do her justice.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Apparently she's been sitting out there like that for at least two years if not more. Next time I speak to Hugh I'll get the low down on her. I've found my mate's photo's of her, but I'll need to resize them (later when I've got this albatross of a project licked) to post them here.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Looking for an affordable liveaboard Greg? http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/willi...ch-/1086586229

Wow ! That is an impressive craft !
    Grateful Dead

I'm not, but thanks Phil - it was more of a wild idea of wondering how to make such an opportunity tie in with another remotely possible opportunity that may or may not eventuate sometime in the near future.....sort of trying to join somewhat vague and and very widely spaced dots.....much more of a day-dream than any particular reality.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Well done Rob! Did Vern get in touch with David?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Go well with the drive, Rob. Enjoy the new owner's enthusiasm.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Safe trip Rob.

and enjoy yourself Rob.... good luck.
    Grateful Dead

All sounds good, Rob. David with his 13-, 15-, and 17-year-old boys sounds the perfect custodian. (And I'm especially glad we found him for you, too. )

Safe driving.

Mike

Yes Mike , the youngster saw the advert , and wanted HS , right or wrong.
    Its all pretty new to them , at least I had a couple of years of 'couta boat sailing , but I think there will be people up there who will look after them , as the old timers looked after me here.
    I'll contact you when I get back.
    Regards Rob J.
    I like that !
    Grateful Dead

Yeah, they'd been sailing an Ellard 'Shimmy', and he got bitten by the bug and wanted a real boat. David and the kids are over the moon about HS, and Mum nearly so.