Page 739 of 1428 FirstFirst ... 2396396897297387397407497898391239 ... LastLast
Results 25,831 to 25,865 of 49951

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    I went and had a look at the sweet pea last night.
    Quite impressed. It is a lot of boat in a short length, large cockpit and head clearance downstairs sitting. One side is glassed and faired, with coaming finished, and the other side needs those bits done, the companionway framed up, and keel made and glassed in. Then it is pretty much ready for paint. Only thing I am a little iffy on is it is set up for the Bermuda rig, and I prefer the ketch I think. I am trying to source a secondhand trailer that can be modified to fit it. Are there any guides/threads as to what dimensions/lengths i would be looking for a 16foot trailer sailer?
    My TS16 trailer is 4800mm overall (just under 16'), the stern of the boat sits about 900mm beyond the trailer and about 2200mm behind the axle.

I wonder if this one out near Craigieburn would do the job, depending on condition: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/roxbu...er-/1097903749
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    22,371 to be precise!

I'm currently editing about 770 shots of Vienna, with more on my phone that need transferring.

Matt, I think you need the Bruce AND Phil Team (BAPT tm) to check out that H28!
    Look out evil do-ers, or you'll soon be evil don't-ers. (Oops, wrong superhero series) Yep, between us we will tear any boat apart and tell you what it was made of. Any time you like.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Thanks for finding that, it has been added to the shortlist for further investigation. The other ones I've found so far that might be suitable are:
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/leopo...ria/1094358974

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/templ...new/1096477334

This second one is a bit long, but in the plus side it doesn't sound like it has been put in the water, and the flat top would mean I can winch up the boat and cradle on top transport it down to the farm and unload them, then sort out the trailer bed once the boat is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    My TS16 trailer is 4800mm overall (just under 16'), the stern of the boat sits about 900mm beyond the trailer and about 2200mm behind the axle.

I wonder if this one out near Craigieburn would do the job, depending on condition: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/roxbu...er-/1097903749

22,371 to be precise!

I'm currently editing about 770 shots of Vienna, with more on my phone that need transferring.

Matt, I think you need the Bruce AND Phil Team (BAPT tm) to check out that H28!
    Please don't feel obligated to post all of them.
    Welcome back Duncan.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    This one's interesting, it looks like diagonal planking over ribs but no details in the ad ... very EnZed. http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-fo...so=0&pss=Price

Any comments on this one?
    It's interesting the way the lack of varnish on the cabin makes her so much plainer but she's a very neat little boat.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    Thanks for finding that, it has been added to the shortlist for further investigation. The other ones I've found so far that might be suitable are:
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/leopo...ria/1094358974

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/templ...new/1096477334

This second one is a bit long, but in the plus side it doesn't sound like it has been put in the water, and the flat top would mean I can winch up the boat and cradle on top transport it down to the farm and unload them, then sort out the trailer bed once the boat is finished.
    If you could get that second one at the right price it may well be worth considering as you could, if you wanted to and felt the need, quite easily shorten it by cutting the draw bar down a bit and so moving the hitch back - it looks like an extra long draw bar. It's also a braked trailer with what appears to be quite a good hydraulic disc brake set up and that would definitely be my preference if I was to replace my existing one, which isn't braked (I live up a steep hill).

I'd suggest work up a price on your bunks, brackets, rollers and so on before negotiating a price so that you know what you are up against total cost wise and see if it fits your budget:

http://www.trailerspareparts.net.au/...-trailer-parts
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Any of you guys tried penetrol in varnish?

I had such good results with getting my enamel to flow out nicely with the stuff, I'm very tempted to try it in the varnish too, as I've got stubborn brush marks that aren't flowing out.

Might try a test piece first.

No but thanks for reminding me to buy some tomorrow !
    Grateful Dead

Yeah I'll be in a better position to answer my own question tomorrow. Coat four on my row lock bases, tabernacle and rowing thwart now have 10% penetrol... Went on reasonably nicely. If it works well I might bump it up to 15% for subsequent coats.

I was going to try a test piece - undercoat in epoxy, then a few coats of varnish, then varnish + penetrol, but figured I've got a boat to experiment on, and if it doesn't work I can always sand it off and try again.

I'm going to paint the inside of JIM but I doubt I'll come close to your standard, painting is one thing I have a huge amount of difficulty getting enthused about .... despite knowing how important it is.
    Grateful Dead

One for Duncan (excuse the crap photos - on the iPhone and at midday - not a good photo recipe):

This restoration has just been relaunched for Christmas after sitting in the guys shed awaiting restoration for 20 years.........so neither of us should feel too bad about our "juvenile" projects.

The restorer is also the original builder, a nice and very approachable guy by the name of Per Andresen (in the pic') who is a shipwright up here at the Boat Works in Coomera (I'd only met him today after spying the mast while having lunch down there).

He built her in Norway from African mahogany (hull planking) when he was 17 to 19 (I'm assuming that may have been what set him on his career path) and shipped her out to Oz when he moved over here and she eventually sat in his shed here somewhere waiting for restoration, which turned out to be quite substantial and included splining the hull.

He's used to have an auxiliary outboard mounted to a bracket on the starboard side about level with the tiller but has now fitted an inboard engine with a slightly offset prop'. It's a single cylinder 2 stroke Norwegian (I think - maybe Finnish?) tractor engine that started very nicely and ran surprisingly quietly for a 2 stroke. It fitted so nicely under an engine box under the companionway that I didn't even notice it at first until he took the covers off:

I have Per's contact details if you'd like them Duncan, but the boat is parked right in front of The Galley (cafe) at The Boatworks in Coomera and he said he'd be very happy to talk to you (or anyone else here interested) about her and your own rebuild any time you like, so you should drop in there and catch up if you're up this way.

He's a nice bloke and the boat is an inspiration, he has done a beautiful job on her and I doubt it'd be any sort of wasted trip for you if you came up.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Wow. That's just so gorgeous.

Very nice!! All that brightwork looks great but will drive him crazy unless he has a cunning plan.

Rick

That amount of bright work would give me nightmares.

Interesting arrangement around the mast. Quite a good idea, I think. What's the timber on the deck Greg? I'd guess teak but it doesn't really look like teak. Very pretty boat - photos look good to me!

Rick

Ask that guy about penetrol I reckon!

I finally gave up my silent and futile protest against the relentless march of Bureaucracy today and got my boat operators licence.

Quite exquisite but you'd have to have some kind of sun excluding tent ....surely !?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I finally gave up my silent and futile protest against the relentless march of Bureaucracy today and got my boat operators licence.
    I've contemplated doing it but I'm afraid I'd fail at the "start motor" part of the practical exam.

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    I've contemplated doing it but I'm afraid I'd fail at the "start motor" part of the practical exam.
    Oh, theres no practical exam over here. Nothing that might actually test peoples ability to safely operate a boat.

Larks, what design is she? She looks a bit short for a 22 sq metre unless she was in the restricted sub-class. Is she the only 'open' 20 in Oz?

Stunning boat.

Well, I think we're all assuming she's a Dragon .....

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Interesting arrangement around the mast. Quite a good idea, I think. What's the timber on the deck Greg? I'd guess teak but it doesn't really look like teak. Very pretty boat - photos look good to me!

Rick
    The deck is teak Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Larks, what design is she? She looks a bit short for a 22 sq metre unless she was in the restricted sub-class. Is she the only 'open' 20 in Oz?

Stunning boat.
    Yes, a Dragon as Rick said - built, I think, to John Anker's original design
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Hey Greg! Sorry I haven't replied earlier. I've been traipsing about the NGV, catching up with an old landscape architecture mate over a couple of jars, talking on the phone with SWIMPAL, Mum and Dad, and wrapping presents. So I've only just seen the post. Thanks for the pictures, and yes, a stunning boat to the original Anker design, aside from the engine. I'll be really pleased to get in touch with him as well!

I failed to mention I caught up with Hugh working on Merlin yesterday when I did a big walk around Williamstown to see if I could wear myself out to ensure a good night's sleep. The interior is just as stunning as the exterior and he should be sailing by February when I'll be down here next! Lucky me!!!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Catch up in Feb Duncan? If you are down for long enough?
    I'm in the market for a skiff to keep somewhere near Mornington.

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    It's pretty basic stuff. I did the (NSW) online quizzes for several days and got 100 percent on the test.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Well, I think we're all assuming she's a Dragon .....

Rick
    You're probably right; I think I was misled by the angle of the stern shot, which seemed to show a deeper and squarer transom.

I thought the transom looked unlike Dragons I'm more familiar with too. I guess the Dragon transom has changed over time.

Rick

It hasn't. He may have made small adjustments because he's not worrying about making class measurement.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

It hasn't. He may have made small adjustments because he's not worrying about making class measurement.
    I'm pretty sure this one is true to John Anker's original design - but check your PM's Duncan, I'm sending through Per's contact details (if anyone else is interested in them sing out - as mentioned before he is a shipwright here on the Gold Coast)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Spotted this self-steering gear on eBay. Of no use to me now i am a lowly stink-boater but it may suit some.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yacht-Sel...UAAOSw~otWdo0D

I'd be interested if I didn't already have one waiting for me to install it. It's on my list for my trip down to Tassie in a couple of weeks. Slipping Balia and doing stuff to prepare her for the trip back to Adelaide.

Looks a bit like a horror story of old alloy and stainless mixed together though, and who knows what magic hidden away inside what looks like a gear box of some sort.

I'm liking the Penetrol. It really helps. I'm adding it at about 15%, plus a dash (maybe 5%) of gum turpentine.

A proper varnish brush (from the artists supply store) also helps a bundle.

The general lumpiness is from the first few coats, which were unthinned and put on with a bigger brush.

Which windvane brand you installing Phil ?