Page 730 of 1427 FirstFirst ... 2306306807207297307317407808301230 ... LastLast
Results 25,516 to 25,550 of 49939

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Do they wear liederhosen in Vienna?
    don't encourage him
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

You want hideous? This is what they did up the coast a bit at Glenelg.

Cheap + concrete = hideous. Interestingly all the boats in your photo are "sports fishermen", they seem to attract a certain kind of owner.

The Gold Coast version.

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Drat! My holiday house has been discovered! Mine's the one on the right. There wasn't enough ventilation through the gaps in the floor, so I removed the gables.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Last day (and a half) in the heat! Tomorrow Melbourne! Thursday onto Vienna!!

In the meantime I'm knucken fackered! Gutters cleaned, grass mowed, leaves raked/blown, timber and tin stacks moved, shed entry rearranged so I can fit the ute in there, CD/DVD shelves built and painted. Still have to clean the pool and spray the weeds, but otherwise mostly light duties on my last day here. I'm sure I've lost kilograms off the old frame, but just I couldn't be bothered digging out the scales.
    Cheeses Duncan, you're putting (some of) us to shame - me anyway - ('struggling a bit in the heat/humidity to get the shed extension built after 3 1/2 years in the office airconditioning.....)

Have a spectacular trip mate, I'll also look forward to seeing the pic's, Vienna really is is one of my top "must go there" destinations.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Likewise-best wishes for the trip that is. Cold windy and rainy here today. The rain is welcome, the cold and wind not so much

I hear what you are saying Rob-but I love the look of windfarms. Something random, but majestic about them.

Me too, they're welcome up here.
    Grateful Dead

It's 40 in my slightly overheated workshop, I was down there for a few hours but bugger it, I'm off to the creek.

I don't seem to be doing the heat as well this year .......
    Grateful Dead

Okay... not related to boats, but windfarms... and funny... wait! Wind-powered. Yeah!

http://xkcd.com/556/

It's 40 in my slightly overheated workshop, I was down there for a few hours but bugger it, I'm off to the creek.

I don't seem to be doing the heat as well this year .......
    Likewise Peter - but I don't have a creek.....fortunately Perth paid for us to get some A/C installed last summer so I've retreated to the house for a couple of hours.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Okay... not related to boats, but windfarms... and funny... wait! Wind-powered. Yeah!

http://xkcd.com/556/
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Oh well, thats one problem solved then!

Off to Sydney now, then Eden tomorrow afternoon. Weather might be okay to depart Eden for Deal Is. tomorrow evening.

I like anything that isn't coal-related. For every ugly windmill farm (I don't think they're ugly), I'll show you a square mile of ruined farmland, 4 rail lines spewing coal dust, ruined estuaries turned into ports, coal ships running blind at 20 knots, oh, and filthy power stations. Windmills are a sign that people are actually thinking about the future of our planet. The coal industry is supported only by people who couldn't give a rat's.

Yodelay-hee hee, yodel-oh ho ho .... High on a hill lived a lonely goatherd ... I hope there are lederhosen!

Rick

Good Luck and a good wind!
    Grateful Dead

Another storm cell bearing down on us with lots of red and orange in the radar image. Almost continuous lightning outside.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Rick you must be watching the weather like a hawk. It suddenly seems to have swung to normal spring weather, blustery, changeable, not really very nice. So good luck. That's really why we've chosen March to bring Balia home, should be nice gentle settled weather. I hope! Anyway, fair winds!

I was talking to a Tasmanian cruising couple only this morning, at a wedding. They said that December is usually pretty changeable too, and that January and particularly February are very settled down there. March this year had some pretty strong winds in Bass Strait but yes, I understand March is usually pretty benign.

We're looking at taking Masina down in Jan 2017 and returning in February 2017 but we might leave her in Tasmania for the year and bring her home in 2018 - not sure yet! Of course it all depends on whether I can get her ready in time!

Weather for this trip is looking okay from tomorrow evening on for a while. I think it's a bit under two days to Deal Is.

Rick

Yes they have a big sailing race in late December don't they...

I was just thinking yesterday about whether we should bring our trip forward to February. Just a little warmer, days just a bit longer. I'll have a chat with my Dad, he is pretty well tuned in to the weather.

we look like heading into some very hot weather over the next few days, but only light to moderate winds from east to North East so yes, should be quite nice for you. Close to perfect even.

I've been watching my boy sit in the marina( if his AIS is true). I felt they needed to get out and go yesterday and they had a chance of riding away on one system and beating the next ( which is easterlies). He's still in Brisbane though . I think.

I just had another look ,the wind direction looks like a lemon to me for the foreseeable future. Maybe they'll find a route through with predictwind or similar.
    Last edited by John B; 12-01-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I've been watching my boy sit in the marina( if his AIS is true). I felt they needed to get out and go yesterday and they had a chance of riding away on one system and beating the next ( which is easterlies). He's still in Brisbane though . I think.

I just had another look ,the wind direction looks like a lemon to me for the foreseeable future. Maybe they'll find a route through with predictwind or similar.
    There's been some pretty stormy weather here JB, but you're right - I reckon early yesterday or the day before would have been the best chance to escape it. Though if they're listening to the general media forecasts they'd probably not have picked it, it's been all storm predictions on the TV.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Yodelay-hee hee, yodel-oh ho ho .... High on a hill lived a lonely goatherd ... I hope there are lederhosen!
    Not a chance! Vienna is a long way from all the lonely goatherds dotting the mountain sides. Think Schubert, Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler, and cake washed down with coffee instead.

Oh yeah, I'll be meeting up with Flo-Mo (he of the one sheet ply boats) as well. Two hours to go before heading down to Melbourne and then jet off the Wien tomorrow.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Schubert, Mozart etc. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just ride up and down in one of those lifts in Melbourne and just duck out occasionally for a Vienna chocolate ice cream and coffee? Since you're always telling us how Melbourne has the best coffee in the world .....

No alps at all? By the way, if you tell people you're from Austraya and your name is Duncan, they'll think you're an offended local with a speech impediment. I suggest introducing yourself as Mitzi.

Not that I'm jealous or anything like that ......

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Not a chance! Vienna is a long way from all the lonely goatherds dotting the mountain sides. Think Schubert, Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler, and cake washed down with coffee instead.

Oh yeah, I'll be meeting up with Flo-Mo (he of the one sheet ply boats) as well.
    Two hours to go before heading down to Melbourne and then jet off the Wien tomorrow.
    OK, now I'm jealous.
    Grateful Dead

[QUOTE=RFNK;4724432]Off to Sydney now, then Eden tomorrow afternoon. Weather might be okay to depart Eden for Deal Is. tomorrow evening.

Just curious how does one travel from Sydney to Eden? Bon Voyage Rick and Duncan.

We' re of to Sydney on Friday then cruising the East Coast , Noumea , NZ return on the Voyager of the Sea.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 12-01-2015 at 10:57 PM.

Now I can answer that question. One flies to Merimbula then waits an hour for a local bus to Eden. Later I'll tell you how to get from Eden to the wharf in Eden. I do know it's downhill ..

Rick

Now I can answer that question. One flies to Merimbula then waits an hour for a local bus to Eden. Later I'll tell you how to get from Eden to the wharf in Eden. I do know it's downhill ..

Rick
    If this were around 1980, the bus would terminate at a shop front on the main street, at the landward end as oppsed to the wharf end. A walk down the main street, past the pie shop, laundromat and sundry others, past the pub, past the Fishermen's Club until the road abruptly drops towards the water. Walk down a steepish rise and onto what was then the fishermen's wharf, chock a block with working boats and yachties. Tenders tied up at the steps, and a basin filled with all sorts of boats.

I expect the main street and pubs are the same, but who knows what has changed otherwise.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 12-02-2015 at 12:45 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

A full day of priming the interior of JIM and I discovered a nice new mud wasp nest, new since yesterday..... but I resisted painting it.
    Grateful Dead

Bon Voyage Tom! Even it is on a floatel. My brother seems to enjoy cruise ships. Me, not so much I think. But have a great time.

Have fun Tom !
    Grateful Dead

Yes, have fun Tom! We really enjoyed our cruise ship trip to Tasmania last year.

Well, the bus driver brought me all the way to the wharf! Very nice of him. Nice here, blue and windy. Looks like we'll leave on Friday for Deal. About 10 yachts waiting here to head south, apparently.

Rick

I am picturing it, Rick, and wish I was there. It's a beautiful spot. Have a couple of jumps off the old cannery wharf for me. :-D (Watch out for great white sharks, though.)

Have fun, Tom!

Rick
    Thanks for that I will pass that info on to Simon for WBF 20I7. Yes of course Eden does need to be downhill. how else would one fall from grace. Cheers Tom

Have fun Tom !
    Thanks Guys

Here is hoping we will. Nellie's stepdad who is traveling with us has just been admitted to john Flynn with an infection combined with high temperature. Hopefully modern medicine can perform another miracle.