Page 671 of 1245 FirstFirst ... 1715716216616706716726817217711171 ... LastLast
Results 23,451 to 23,485 of 43555

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I seriously give up on the whole working thing. I got my resume in on a request from a friend, for a couple of IT roles. I got an acknowledgement and a request to create a profile online, which I did. Then I got an email straight away saying I've applied for a call centre phone operator job the other side of town and I'll need to be vetted. So I asked if I could get a copy of the job and person specs for the two IT roles that were the original subject, and the five minute turn around replies disappeared. That was Friday morning.

This sort of thing makes me feel dirty. I'll waste some of Monday chasing it up in between installing Joan's new tv and filling out forms for police checks for working with oldies, kids and disabled so I can continue to do that for the dole.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I was just thinking about you and wishing you luck with the application , and now I hear this.
    I`m sorry Bruce .

Things will get worse , much worse.

Sorry to hear that Bruce. I never saw any of that crap when I was involved with the recruitment industry (I was running an outsourcing business attached to a major recruitment business).

Funnily enough, I'll be putting a CV together for another role in the middle east - requested by a senior Emirati. I've never been one to do that very well. Something that happened about six weeks ago made me give it some thought though. I made some sort of partially negative comment about one of my projects and this guy came back immediately with how incredibly significant our achievements were. It got me thinking... about how to stitch these things together. Is there someone you can sit down over a coffee with and work up your CV in a different way? The guy I was talking with may have started four of us off on a whole new international venture... maybe
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by boat fan View Post
    I was just thinking about you and wishing you luck with the application , and now I hear this.
    I`m sorry Bruce .

Things will get worse , much worse.

Things will get worse? WTF?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I'm in town tomorrow arvo around 2pm. I have a doc's appointment at 2.30. Do you have my mobile number?
    I don't think so, could you PM me ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by boat fan View Post
    I`m sorry Bruce .

Seconded Bruce.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Why do you deflect this to your persona without constructive contribution to the matter at hand? just saying.
    Your lack of any powers of observation never ceases to amaze me.

Bruce, what to say? When I wished you good luck with the job a few posts back, it was, I have to admit, mostly out of politeness. I mean an IT job, really? Is that what you want? Life is so precious. You seem, from a distance at least, to be surviving. You are doing some useful and satisfying stuff with the local community. Your boat is making great progress. You have crazy cruising plans. I'm sure there is a book or two floating around in your head looking for a way out. I don't know what the unemployment figures are like for over 60's but I suspect at least as bad as for youngsters. And yes, it will only get worse. Maybe this is your new life. It's great. It's productive. It's fun. Accept it and get on with it. Love it even.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Bruce, what to say? When I wished you good luck with the job a few posts back, it was, I have to admit, mostly out of politeness. I mean an IT job, really? Is that what you want? Life is so precious. You seem, from a distance at least, to be surviving. You are doing some useful and satisfying stuff with the local community. Your boat is making great progress. You have crazy cruising plans. I'm sure there is a book or two floating around in your head looking for a way out. I don't know what the unemployment figures are like for over 60's but I suspect at least as bad as for youngsters. And yes, it will only get worse. Maybe this is your new life. It's great. It's productive. It's fun. Accept it and get on with it. Love it even.
    Took the words right out of my mouth and added a whole lot more! Well said Phil! I'd just add that I think the community work you're doing is a whole lot more valuable than just about any IT work I can think of! And that includes a whole lot of valuable IT work!

Rick

Jon Sanders was rescued this morning off the coast just north of here. I didn't think the weather was that nuts, but we've had big seas the last few weeks.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-2...rescue/6579042

I'm also surprised they just left the yacht. I'd imagine they could have brought aboard a bigger bilge pump or something and take it under tow.

I heard the swell was massive down south. It's really difficult towing a yacht just in chop. Towing one in a big seas would be very difficult. They'd have needed someone on the yacht steering as well as a good pump, if they had one. What's Kalbarri like as an entrance in very big swell?

Rick

Kalbarri is pretty scary even with calm seas. The entrance to the river has a huge sand bar. I think the boat that rescued him was out of Geraldton, which is a doddle.

Here's a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53DaZzdcI48

A 65 year old lone sailor was lost off the Victorian coast last week.

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    Kalbarri is pretty scary even with calm seas. The entrance to the river has a huge sand bar. I think the boat that rescued him was out of Geraldton, which is a doddle.

Here's a video

That's what I thought. So, please correct my understanding if I've misplaced them, but the tow would have been pretty long, wouldn't it?

Rick

Yeah, true enuf.

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post

Here's a video

Great video, Suzy, looks like it was taken from Chinaman's Rock? You didn't mention the reef...

That rivermouth is truly frightening. Any number of boats have been lost trying to get through it, and some of those have been seasoned professionals with years of local experience. In bad weather, it's the Indian Ocean or an almost suicidal attempt at a zig-zag past a reef, then a sandbar, with huge swells lifting in the middle, and some really prominent rocks just to let you know what's in store if you stuff it up, or get unlucky...

I nearly lost a mate there in a fast-rising tide when we were kids, messing about in a canoe. Definitely not a place to tow anything through!

Was glad to hear Jon Sanders is OK. I guess we'll hear soon enough what happened to his boat. Keel damage, perhaps?

Cheers,
    John.

PS Love your boat build. I've been following it, not sure if I've commented, but it's superb.

Bruce, sorry to hear about the job situation. I suspect Adelaide's worse than Perth, and Perth's pretty grim at the mo. That job sounds like it was essentially a scam - advertising a phone role as "IT".

I wish I could offer you some advice, but if you want to keep plugging away chasing that kind of role, I think the Big Fella's said it - have somebody have a fresh look at your resume. I'll do it if you like - I used to run one of Australia's larger ISPs and I still employ quite a few people now, so I know what's what. PM me if you're interested, no problem if you're not, and good luck mate.

Regards,
    John.

OK, here's the Mirror. I still can't believe anybody's interested in this!

Matilda Bay, Swan River, March 2015. The small pleasures in life are most certainly often the best!

More info (and video) regarding Jon Sanders' rescue: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-2...c=statenews_wa

Cheers,
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    More info (and video) regarding Jon Sanders' rescue: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-2...c=statenews_wa

Cheers,
    John.
    Check your through hull fittings!

He talks about punching holes in the deck then he talks about plugging skin fittings. It'd be good to get the whole story. The boat could have been very neglected but he's unlikely to state that publicly as it could void his mate's insurance claim.

Rick

Sanders doesn't say much at the best of times!

It's odd that some fittings ripped out and yet water was also coming in elsewhere. Makes one wonder if there was some huge twisting moment on the hull, which damaged two different areas - e.g. a bulkhead and/or keel fixings. Anybody ID the boat? Was she perhaps a woodie?

Have I mentioned I'm over the rain?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Have I mentioned I'm over the rain?
    It'd help to spread it around a bit. I just had 5+ months where the most rain I saw resulted in one sweep of the car's wiperblades.

Hi all. Just a quick thanks for your support regarding the recent job application fiasco, and an explanation of sorts.

Phil, yes I am happy to just do my voluntary work, and it is the most rewarding and valuable work I've ever done. My budget requires that I supplement it with some paid work at some time each financial year and I was tempted enough to bite the bait on the jobs that were dangled. I'd happily do a user acceptance testing contract, which typically would be in the order of 3 - 6 months and with my past Software Engineering work - over 10 years at a senior level - I'd eat it up.

Thanks for the offer of help with the resume. My resume is rewritten for every job application, to suit the job. I've done a reasonable amount of hiring (and sadly firing) in several companies, large and medium sized, and I know what gets someone to an interview.

As for this instance, I'm still getting nowhere trying to get a job and/or person spec. so I'm turning them off. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that this activity may have been about spotter's fees and subsidies for difficult-to-place (aged) niche areas. Regardless, I'm not going to continue to chase shadows for this mob unless they have the good form/manners to confirm at least some of the parameters of the positions they are filling. There's just so much of a sh*t sandwich I'm prepared to eat.

Back to boats.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Hi all. Just a quick thanks for your support regarding the recent job application fiasco, and an explanation of sorts.

Phil, yes I am happy to just do my voluntary work, and it is the most rewarding and valuable work I've ever done. My budget requires that I supplement it with some paid work at some time each financial year and I was tempted enough to bite the bait on the jobs that were dangled. I'd happily do a user acceptance testing contract, which typically would be in the order of 3 - 6 months and with my past Software Engineering work - over 10 years at a senior level - I'd eat it up.

Thanks for the offer of help with the resume. My resume is rewritten for every job application, to suit the job. I've done a reasonable amount of hiring (and sadly firing) in several companies, large and medium sized, and I know what gets someone to an interview.

As for this instance, I'm still getting nowhere trying to get a job and/or person spec. so I'm turning them off. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that this activity may have been about spotter's fees and subsidies for difficult-to-place (aged) niche areas. Regardless, I'm not going to continue to chase shadows for this mob unless they have the good form/manners to confirm at least some of the parameters of the positions they are filling. There's just so much of a sh*t sandwich I'm prepared to eat.

Back to boats.
    According to a recent Centrelink pamphlet I received in the mail about the new job network arrangements. There are apparently thousands of jobs out there with our names on them.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

According to a recent Centrelink pamphlet I received in the mail about the new job network arrangements. There are apparently thousands of jobs out there with our names on them.

Bruce, Idle thoughts while doing nothing last night. Are there people near you who could do with a bit of paid help getting their computers and ipads and smart phones all working and talking to each other? And is that stuff you can do? Put a note up in the local supermarket or wherever there is a notice board, tear off strips with your phone number, you know the sort of thing. You'd probably have to drink endless cups of tea but would have a whole bunch of happy customers and a small part time income earned in a pretty happy and satisfying way. Similarly, setting up ipads or smart phones for navigation. Small, maybe tiny market, but the odd job here and there. Easy enough to stick a few notices up and see if you get any bites. And similarly, do you reckon there might be people interested in uke lessons? Let it be known that you are neither a professional player nor teacher, but happy to help learn the ropes, or notes or whatever. This one might involve more beer or wine than tea I imagine, but similarly, not a bad way to earn a few quid. The hard part I think is probably just putting some notices up. Give it a shot. Nothing to lose.

Back to boats.
    Perfect .

and Phil's suggestion is a winner, there are a lot of people out there with really poor IT knowledge who need assistance . DAMHIK .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthWwworp View Post
    Yeah that was my thought as well :-)

Planning a long run on Sunday. Southport to Manly...44 nautical miles but there's a marina berth and hot showers at the end. :-)

Well they are right, but they are telling half of the story. At any time there are indeed thousands of job vacancies. There are also tens of thousands of job seekers looking at those vacancies. The rate is running around 1 in ten and has done for yonks. That depends on how you count the seekers though. there are many more who would seek work if it wasn't pointless, or if they weren't subsisting on welfare by doing voluntary work, and other reasons. Employers have an obligation to their companies, shareholders, employees and themselves to try to fill vacancies with new employees who will give the best return, by many measures. For many people who are very employable, willing and skilled, the list of 'better' candidates ahead of them is so long that there isn't a realistic likelihood of becoming employed, unless something out of the ordinary happens.

But yes, there are thousands of jobs out there with our names on them, especially if we're 30 and named John.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Well when you put it like that, it's hard to argue.

Kerry and I both had a good laugh when I read the pamphlet. :-D

Wrong thread I know, but I am sure there will come a time, not all that far away, when those who make policy will realise that with the demise of manufacturing, the mechanisation of agriculture, the automation of many tasks and the general increase in productivity, there will be a huge structural gap between the number of jobs and the number of people, both here and elsewhere. I think the policy response will have to involve a recognition that there is a legitimate life outside of the job market. That life should not be reduced to penury. I suspect that a much higher price will have to be placed on the natural and community resources used by business and those who do work, and the income derived from that price will be used to support those who don't.

Astute observation Phil , I agree entirely.

Something that has escaped the current crop of clowns.

On both sides.